Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

• Brave
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 222 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 255 reviews
on June 19, 2012
I listened through this album twice when I got it. The first time, I listened through the album exactly as it's presented upon purchase, with the three non-score tracks first, then the orchestral score following; I thoroughly enjoyed the vocal tracks "Touch the Sky" and "Learn Me Right"; the "Into the Open Air" is nice but didn't resonate with me personally as the others did - the "Touch the Sky" is especially outstanding, of the three - just pounding with energy and emotion. I found that the three vocal tracks at the beginning convey a rather different overall mood than the score - not necessarily a bad thing, but I was initially expecting the integration of some of the themes from the vocal tracks at the beginning during the orchestral score, as has been the case with Pixar movies in the past, such as "Up" and "Ratatouille" which had fun vocal tracks that utilized melodic content from the main score - these first three tracks don't do that, but they are very fun to listen to, and I find the "Touch the Sky" uplifting and inspiring; it leads me to want to go running through the woods and mountains, or something similar to that. On my second listen through I went and restructured the album so the three vocal tracks at the beginning were at the end of the album and the orchestral score was first. I enjoyed the score more the second time through with this play order, with the vocal tracks by Julie Fowlis and Birdy/Mumford and Sons as punctuation to the score, rather than introduction to it.

Patrick Doyle's score has some of everything you'd expect to be associated with a movie like this: there are the exciting Scottish reels and dance-like pieces, plenty of ethnic instruments throughout that help center the feel of the music geographically, slow sweeping melodies, powerfully energetic action tracks, and a few tracks where cast members from the film sing, which are all solid offerings - whether silly, in the rowdy "Song of Mor'du" or beautiful, in the gentle "Noble Maiden Fair (A Mhaighdean Bhan Uasal)".

Overall, the score has a lot more subtle moments than I expected before listening, but they play well with good melodic content and so on. There are a few tracks that seem to be the almost inevitable "background music" that probably plays under quiet scenes in the movie where there isn't much going on, but there are plenty of stirring moments to be found - both on the exciting and the impassioned side of things that keep the listening enjoyable throughout the album.

There are 15 out of the 20 tracks that are outstanding; four of the remaining five tracks are score tracks that seem to be mostly filler music, and the other track of the five non-outstanding tracks is the vocal piece "Into the Open Air" that doesn't resonate well with me. All in all, there is no reason why you shouldn't purchase this whole album, as there are enough outstanding tracks to justify paying for the whole album. I really enjoyed this recording, and it's been a while since a good-quality Celtic-flavored soundtrack was released.

I'm looking forward to seeing "Brave" to make associations of these lovely themes and the atmosphere of the album with the particular scenes they were designed to accompany; until then I'll be enjoying this lovely soundtrack album from Patrick Doyle and others.
on May 21, 2016
Great music! I finally watched the movie, but really bought the cd because I love Celtic music.
Lovely music and nice to listen to at any time. I bought it without even thinking about the movie
because of my love for the genre of music.
VINE VOICEon July 17, 2012
Patrick Doyle has really come into the limelight over the past few years. He's a composer that is finally getting the recognition he deserves. With last year's Thor and Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes blowing us away musically, he finds a beautiful world in where he can touch on his background roots. You may say it's predictable that a Scottish composer is doing a film set in Scotland, but it's better than someone filling up air with bagpipes trying to be Scottish. Brave is a pure and beautiful score with plenty of character and heart.

Doyle immediately plants us in this world via traditional Scottish instrumentation. Yes, the bagpipe is used but it is not relied on. The arrangements and motif's bustle with life and energy. Then we delve right into Merida's journey and we as an audience are off on a quest. There is a timeless and mysterious quality to the music as Doyle sprinkles in some magical wonder into the score. There is a curious mischievous tone at some points, but under it there is a folklore feel to it all. As the journey picks up steam the music becomes more adventurous, and really builds some fantastic moments. Doyle keeps the music grounded in Merida's character. A beautiful song is performed in the film titled "Noble Maiden Fair (A Mhaighdean Bhan Uasal)" that represents Merida's relationship with her mother. Doyle brings back the melody of the song in the track "We've Both Changed" and it creates an emotionally heavy bookend to the whole affair.

Brave is musically rich and emotionally deep. Patrick Doyle is a brilliant composer who has continually churned out amazing scores over his career. With his music becoming more present in the mainstream spotlight I hope he will continue to stay there. Brave is a beautiful meshing of Scottish flavors and emotional passages infused with adventure. While there has been some gripe with Pixar has of late about story quality, I can assure you they know the importance of music in their films and how to choose their composers.
on February 23, 2017
My daughter loves the movie and loves the music!
on September 23, 2012
I love a lot of the older motion picture soundtracks, but over the last 10-20 years, most of the composers just don't cut it. Most of the music sounds like 'background filler sound effects' and doesn't connect with the character the way composers used to do. In most cases, I don't remember much about the music after the movie is over.

With Brave, I found that I like how it identifies with the main character as well as representing Scottish music. The music is inspiring, works separate from the movie and stands on its own, which is how music of any genre should be.

I hope that this will also inspire other composers and directors to work harder on making this more of a reality when they put out their movies.
on January 22, 2016
Great soundtrack! Only reason it get's 4 stars is because Disney does this annoying thing where all their movie soundtracks are not in the order you hear them in the movie they in order based on popularity. It takes me a long time to go through and put them back in order.It is a pain and I wish they would stop doing it! Rant over - buy the soundtrack if you liked the movie.
on September 7, 2012
This is truly an amazing soundtrack! After having seen the movie twice in theaters, I fell in love with the soundtrack, and purchased it soon after. All of the songs are masterpieces in and of themselves, but together they tell the story of the movie in a unique way. Just listening to the music moves you through the emotions and action of the film. It is sometimes high and soaring; sometimes dark and forboding; and sometimes majestic and lonely--all reflective of the culture around which the movie is based. I would highly recommend this CD to people of any age--even those who haven't yet seen the movie. :)
on March 28, 2017
Beautiful music!
on May 10, 2015
It was a great movie, one of my favourites, and the music was good enough to take a chance and get it for my daughter. Popped it in when it arrived and......Mind. Blown. Amazing soundtrack from beginning to end, not a single track I want to skip over and sadly for my daughter, she gets to listen to it when she rides in my truck.

Great seller, fast shipping, excellent price and defiantly recommended.
on March 21, 2013
This energetic and captivating music is inspiring and majestic. Perfectly matched to the BRAVE storyline, this CD follows the exciting and dramaticly presented tale of the family dynamics of parents and their teenage daughter in the beautiful setting of Ireland. The Celtic undertones are highlighted with traditional bagpipe and fluted instruments, and heart thumping drums.
The orchestral elegance is breathtaking.
Congratulations to Patrick Doyle, for this impecable score, to Julie Fowlis, Mumford and Sons singing with Birdy for your performances.
Motivational and uplifting!! WELL DONE!!