Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 43 reviews
on July 17, 2012
Pros:
For me, the best thing about this laptop is that it stays quiet and cool under heavy load, including while playing games.
I can play Skyrim or Diablo3 on ultra settings without burning my lap. The grills on the exhaust vents on the back can get hot, but never dangerously so in my experience. This is in contrast to my previous laptop, where the exhaust vent was hot enough to cause burns.

Rear exhaust vents are also much nicer than side vents; you can sit next to someone without blowing hot air at them the whole time.

Screen quality is good. It's a matte screen (not glossy). The matte coating is not excessive though; pixels are still clearly defined. The screen is also very bright; I usually keep it towards the dimmest settings at night.

I was originally planning to replace the HDD with an SSD, but honestly the laptop is so snappy that I cannot imagine it going any faster. Having a full 750GB is nice too.

Keyboard feel is nice. Having a numpad is extra nice (especially for games). The keyboard backlight supports 4 levels (off, dim, medium, bright).

Overall the build and materials have a high quality feeling to them. The construction is also solid; no flex when you lift it one-handed from one corner (assuming you have the wrist strength).

Cons:
As many others reviews have mentioned, this laptop is uncharacteristically heavy for a 15" laptop -- so be prepared.
The other problem that I (and many others) experienced is that the sound level is too high! To keep it in a quiet regime, you must set the global sound volume to somewhere between 1-8 (out of 100) on the speaker volume tray icon. On the flip side, the audio level is very good when watching movies with high dynamic range, since you can actually hear the quiet parts.
Another minor annoyance is that I tend to jostle the power cable out of the socket when moving the laptop too far left on my lap.
A final complaint is that unless you are Shaq, you will need two hands to adjust the volume with the keyboard, since you need to press Fn+F11 and Fn+F12 for volume-up and volume-down.
on June 7, 2012
*6/7/12 Original Review*
This is simply my first impression of this notebook, i will update later to make sure no problems have arisen. This beast has everything you need to take on everyday work, photoshop, gaming, AutoCAD, and it does it flawlessly. The matte black rubberized material used throughout the notebook feels nice and gives you some extra grip and is cool to the touch. The dual fan system keeps everything cool even when you're gaming with it on your lap! My previous laptop practically gave me 3rd degree burns when i used it on my lap. The back-lit keyboard is very nice and looks beautiful in a dark room. The notebook does come with a software that limits CPU/GPU clock speeds for when you're simply browsing the internet or using word, which you can switch back to gaming mode for 100% power! I have had no problems with this product and highly recommend it.

*5/6/14 UPDATE*
Well, i definitely intended on updating this review much longer ago, but just never got to it, anyways, here's the update! Its STILL GOING GREAT! I'm actually typing this review, on the same laptop. It's been almost 2 years since i got this laptop and it's still handling the "next gen" games like a champ. It wont do BF4 on ultra, but it definitely plays it smoothly on a mixture of of Medium/High settings, which looks great to me. I'm currently playing Dark Souls 2 on it, and let me tell you, it plays like water flows in a river. I have no complaints with it up to this point. I replaced the original hard drive with a 512 GB SSD (solid state drive) and it boots up to the desktop faster than it takes me to pull out the charger from my back pack. The ONE con i've run into with this laptop is that the black finish on the S and D is fading, which would happen on just about any keyboard. With that being said, if you find/plan to buy this laptop used, it is definitely something you should consider vs shelling out $1,000+ on a brand new gaming laptop.
66 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2016
I'm going up from an old 12 inch Dell, taking some getting used to the larger size, however so far I like this laptop.

The seller I purchased this from was selling as new, and indeed it was in original factory sealed boxes, and it came with the backpack, mouse, and warranty.

Given that this laptop is now fairly outdated in regards to current models, (my desktop still blows it away in the gaming dept.) however it is still a beast of a machine. I bought this primarily to use as a mobile workstation rather than gaming. It will still play modern games on lower settings, eg I have ran Fallout 4 on it on medium tweaked settings. So even though I'll be using it primarily for work it can still do the occasional game if I desire.

The battery had zero charge when I unpacked it, and it is showing about 16% wear. Likely from sitting in the factory box never used for several years, is to be expected when storing batteries so I am not knocking it on that.

My complaints would be with the keyboard, power cord, and weight. The keys squeak ever so slightly at times, and I do not like the delete key being both delete and insert. Additionally the touchpad is quirky, for one it senses my hand a lot when typing thus interfering with typed text. I use a mouse most of the time so I have the touchpad disabled when mouse plugged in, however it's still annoying when mouse isn't plugged in. Other minor thing is the power cord jack placement. Also the power cord brick is huge! ... and the laptop is pretty heavy, however I'm fairly large framed so should not be too much of an issue lugging it around.

Those annoyances aside, overall I am happy with this purchase. It seems this will make for a nice work machine for a few years.
on August 6, 2012
I was considering the G75VW for a couple months, but I am extremely glad I went with the G55VW. I wanted something as a mobile workstation, but also powerful enough for mid to high end gaming. This laptop performs both duties perfectly.

Here is the good stuff

Pros:

*Powerful. This thing is a little monster. The CPU runs cold and dominates everything. You will not be wanting, trust me. The GTX660M is plenty of power in my opinion, and it runs nice and cool. Let's not forget it's easily overclockable too.
*Beautiful. I wanted something that wasn't yet another boring black clam shell, and I was not disappointed! I can't say enough good things about the design... The metal keyboard back plate is stunning, and the exhaust and rubberized finish is definitely top notch Asus! You should definitely give your design team raises!
*Affordable. At $1300-1400 this thing is a steal. You might find competitors with slightly higher GPU specs for the same price, but with this laptop you get QUALITY. The build quality & the appearance is worth the money. None of the competitors can touch the style of this notebook.

Cons:

Not a one so far. I researched this before I bought it, so I knew exactly what I was getting.

If you want a powerful, beautiful laptop that will perform daily GET THIS. 5 out of 5.
on August 14, 2012
But on a more objective perspective, I have had numerous ASUS products and they have proven to be built to live and are of very good quality. Not to forget the great software support that they offer.

To start with, and clear any questions you may have, this version of the notebook does NOT have the 3D transmitter built in and does not have the Blu-Ray drive. That model would have the 3D designation in the model number (G55VW ...... 3D). Not sure how effective 3D gaming would be on a 15" screen, the screen has amazing colors and no noticeable dead/always on pixels on the unit I have (unlike all my previous notebooks Dell and HP, Dell died HP still is ticking. Hence Alienware was not an option when I was looking to get this).

With a 15" the full HD pixel density and LED it makes everything look much nicer than my 23" desktop full HD screen. However, I am not yet sure if the notebook screen supports 3D gaming with an external NVidia Nvision2 transmitter and glasses but the HDMI 1.4 should be able to on an external supporting display.

The NVidia card GT660M has the umph to run WoW on full settings on DX11, and that's mainly what I bought this notebook for. Running WoWish games should be no problem for the i7 3610 and the NVidia card although there is some slowdown where there are more players to render, the more taxing games like BF3, Future Solder, etc. level of games would need to be toned down a bit in the setting department (i.e. antialiasing and anisotropic filtering down or off).

The power management is spot on, Asus did well on that, but you'll miss the switch of graphics between the i7 integrated graphics and the GT660M maybe it is a software feature that will be available later who knows. You'll get an ROG button that chooses the operation mode from battery saver to full on performance with parameters you set, even the windows theme changes on battery saver.

The battery is OK, the GT660M burns through it though in a just around an hour when gaming and a few on normal usage (including normal brightness), however, you get almost a week of standby for the notebook on battery saver, and the included "always on" (I think) software tells you when it will no longer turn on. I forgot mine for a few days after it shutdown and once I plugged it in it resumed windows normally so you don't get that "windows was shutdown incorrectly" message, it remains standby mode.

However, the power brick is big and bulky and the short "unplugged" gaming life hinders the portability of the G55,,, the weight also factors in as it is not very light... but you knew that, right,,, when you thought about this notebook as a purchase option,,, right,,, anyone... unfortunately, and somewhat expectedly, you're getting a powerful gaming almost desktop-replacement notebook. So, make sure to choose "near the wall" seating in coffee shops and such because you'll need a power source for any decent gaming session.

There is absolutely no flex to the keyboard, and it is nicely backlit and not too bright. You get the usual Fn keys that control the volume (would have preferred the normal physical control, not a problem though) and other standard features. The notebook runs cool, quiet and comfortable, you may notice in some pictures that they show it with a full heat fins on the back, but that is only a showcase model. The back fins are almost three quarters (give or take a few) of the back, the battery has to take a part of it.

All in all I do recommend this product, if you want a really good gaming notebook you're at the right place for the right price. You also have the power for graphic and media processing, but not sure if there are other notebooks better suited for that specific application in terms of weight and battery life. Because the G55 is a powerhouse of gaming features and is built specific with a gamer in mind as the target customer.

Five out of five

Cheers,
on October 11, 2012
So far this computer has handled everything I've thrown at it game wise that would have killed my last computer. The sound is on this computer is amazing to me, its extremley loud I have to keep it on the lowest volume setting and it works great. It boots up extremley fast and shuts down just as quick. I usually have a 4 hour battery life, which I can't complain because its a gaming laptop so you can't expect much out of the battery. The free mouse and bag are a good throw in for how much you spend on it. To be honest my only complaint about it so far is it is by far the heaviest laptop I've ever owned but again it can't be a negative, because when your buy a powerful gaming computer its going to have a shorter battery life and be quite heavy. But if you want my opinion, this computer is a great buy and has a lot better specs then other computers I saw at this price.
on April 9, 2014
I've had this mean machine for 2 years now. I swapped out the disk drive for an SSD. Now it boots up in less than 15 seconds. It boots up even faster from hibernate. It's crazy fast. I use windows 8.1 on this and I use it a lot for movies and gaming. It can run any game beautifully. I also love how it can resume in a second like a mac. It can last 6 days on standby.

What I don't like is that it's so heavy, which really isn't a big deal until you're trying to balance it on your lap or take it to class. Also, the battery life lasts 2 hours max. Just a little more than 1 when gaming. It should really be used more like a portable desktop.

Still, this baby handles anything I can throw its way so the weight and battery life don't bother me much. Just don't expect to get an 8 hour work day out of this without the charger close by.
on September 7, 2012
So far i have had this computer for about 3 weeks and overall it is a very good computer. It generally stays cool and has handled all games i have played it on it. Although it is a great computer, the only issue i had with it was the audio which i knew about before buying. The sub woofer doesn't seem to be able to be controlled by the the volume controls. this problem can be made better updating the drivers, but there are still some issues where even if you have external speakers or headphones the built in speakers play. This can be resolved by just moving the volume or muting it and unmuting, but it does become annoying. Other than for the audio the computer is great, just be aware of the audio issue before purchasing. Also enjoyed the fact that it came with a mouse and backpack.
on April 13, 2013
I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! ....Did I say I love it? Oh yes!
on August 7, 2012
Laptop does a great job with games (does very well on BF3 and Skyrim).
I went from a 17" to a 15" laptop, and when comparing weight they are about the same.
So, I am impressed with the weight, was worried it was going to be heavier.
Very well built, this thing feels solid. Only problem with it is the CD drive bay is kinda loose.
Battery life is great. Lasts 3 hours when not in gaming mode and lowest brightness. Big step up from what I was use to.

In regards to the missing 1 star from this review,
When i first bought this thing and was updating all the drivers, things just didnt work right.
Took me forever to install a 360 controller onto it, as it wouldnt recognize it on any of the ports.
Most of the time I was unable to adjust the screen/keyboard brightness (which I have still yet to fix)
And the CD drive seems to keep disappearing from the device list on the computer.
Had slight problems with the wireless connections

Computer cons:
Bootup time is slow, a little slower than my desktop with the same speed HDD.
Power brick is huge. I dont know what they were thinking, but its huge.

But all that set aside, the hardware of the computer is superb.
Thing runs very cool when gaming, doesnt even get my lap warm when playing things on max graphics.
All in all, it was a good purchase. Talking with Asus is a pain though, as it takes over 3 days to get a reply via email, and I waited for 3 hours in chat one day and never got a chance to talk. The best way of communication is the just call them, as the call hours are 24/7 for Asus notebooks.