Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 237 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 520 reviews
on May 10, 2017
Good lord, was this movie disappointing. Two hours of awful, obnoxious characters being awful and obnoxious to each other (and not in an endearing way). I want those two hours of my life back. (Maybe it's a generational thing? I'm a millennial and was way too young to watch this movie when it came out; most of the folks I know who love it are Gen-X.)

For what it's worth, no, I've never read the book. Randomly enough, the first time I found out HF existed was through the universally panned and short-lived Broadway musical.

I rented HF because I love John Cusack and Jack Black, so I figured that a movie featuring both of them would be gold. Not exactly. Black's character Barry is funny in exactly two moments - one at the beginning and another at the end - and spends the rest of the time being shallow and one-note. You'd think Jack Black playing an arrogant, weird, obnoxious sidekick would be hilarious, but this time it just doesn't work. Cusack's Rob is perfectly acted, but as a character, he's a chore to watch. I understand why certain people in their late 20's and beyond might find him relatable, but I didn't at all.

I guess it was really the ending that left me feeling unsatisfied and a bit unsettled. Sure, Rob has an "epiphany" and decides to shape up, but it happens in the last few minutes of the film. There's not a lot of build-up to it, and it doesn't feel "earned" at all. It feels like Rob just awkwardly stumbles into adulthood rather than taking a meaningful journey there...as if he just shrugs and decides, "Well, this whole man-child thing isn't working out, so I GUESS I'll try being mature for now." Even when he's giving his final "I've changed" speech to Laura, he still manages to be a jerk while doing so. "Yeah, I was essentially cheating on you two days ago, but I realized that wasn't going to make ME happy, so I'm gonna stick with you 'cause right now I don't see any better options for ME." I felt like he didn't have any remorse or learn anything at all, which I thought was the whole point of the film.

This movie was just a big ol' mess. Do not recommend.

At least the soundtrack was decent, though.
on January 9, 2017
A good movie for both men and women....hard to tell if this is more a guy movie or a 'chick flick', but it's one that both of you should enjoy. And Jack Black in his early years. Great soundtrack, too.
on April 16, 2002
I read others' reviews with great deal of amusement. When a movie can elicit such polarized feedback, it's got something interesting. My feeling is that regardless how "unlikeable" or "likeable" Mr. Cusack and Mr. Black's characters are, they seem real to me. I can relate to them as people I know in real life. It is really important for a contemporary comedy about relationships like this one to have characters people can relate to. As for the music, the record store characters are your everyday music lovers. Some they like, some they don't. And we all know that musical taste is highly subjective and personal.
The self-dialoguing in Mr. Cusack's Rob to me is as close to a honest confession of a man's view point as can be. How Rob sees women and relationships are how many men (regardless of age) see women and relationships. Men are in general not as self-aware and as emotionally mature as women are (not a put-down here). This movie gives me an insight into how men's mind at work on a sub-conscious level.
This movie deserves a 5 star because of its realness and the great ensemble cast. A true conversational topic if you ever wanted to talk about relationship and movie in a social situation. :)
on April 18, 2017
This is one of my favorite movies. I totally relate to John Cusack's character in this film. The blu-ray transfer is nicely done. Very enjoyable to watch in hi-def.
on July 12, 2014
Easily one of my favorite John Cusack movies. I love his acting anyway, but in HIGH FIDELITY, you have to wonder if this this is really what he's like in real life. We follow his character Rob Gordon through a very rough break-up. As he is trying to work through it, he walks us through his top 5 worst breakups of all time. Just about everyone can relate to this guy, what he's going through, and what he's been through. All the while, we're being walked through the rest of his life as well. His record store, his friends that we're not sure if they're his friends or he just keeps them around, his rebound, his revelations, and eventually, his epiphany.
There are no car chases in this movie. No explosions. No hostage situations. This just the story of an ordinary guy going through a typical breakup. But by the time it's over, you don't realize that you've just watched a very "regular" movie and loved it.
Lots of great cameos in this one too!
on January 9, 2014
John Cusack is deliciously self-absorbed in the part of commitment-phobic lover and record store owner, Rob. If you have someone in your life who needs a primer for growing up, this movie is a charming how-to for the possible regressive moves one may take to avoid adulthood, including rearranging a massive record collection in autobiographical order rather than do anything to accommodate your loved one's needs! Also, if you or anyone you care about is contemplating a relationship with a narcissist, this story will give you an inside look of how often your needs will take priority. Maybe you'll get lucky and your narcissist will have an epiphany like Rob. Good Luck! I prefer to laugh at a comfortable distance by watching the brilliant John Cusack and Iben Hjejle painfully and hilariously work it out!
on September 16, 2016
One of my favorite John Cusack movies. I really liked how it kind of time stamped the Wicker Park/Bucktown Chicago neighborhoods and the popularity of vinyl during the nineties.
on January 8, 2014
Let me preface with: I'm female. But I **LOVE** this movie. I loved the book, I love everything Nick Hornby has written, look him up if you enjoyed this because his writing voice is perfectly captured in this movie. This movie is about music and relationships and heartbreak and is also kind of a "coming of age" in your 20s movie. There are so many quotable quotes in this movie that it's ridiculous ... a movie ABOUT geek culture is in itself a movie worth geeking over. I often judge people on how cool they are based on whether they have seen this movie and/or read the book. If they hated it, I know I won't like them. Yes, the book was based in London -- but come on, John Cusack and Jack Black absolutely OWN these roles. They're fantastic and this movie is timeless. One of my all-time favorites ... and a relationship/breaking-up movie with a satisfying yet realistic ending ... fabulous. SEE IT. BUY IT. It's awesome.
on March 3, 2017
Main character not very sympathetic, but vintage early Jack Black and a great soundtrack.
on June 26, 2016
I thought this movie was an attempt to capture on John Cusack's previous charm as the unassuming yet loveable underdog trying to get the girl. However, it came across as Cusack being an underlying angry, wannabe millenial, before millenial was even a word. It took me watching it twice to actually see the Cusack appeal.
Cusack plays a record store owner (which today we call vintage), Rob, going through a break up with his live in girlfriend, Laura. He then plunges into his top 5 breakups of his life.
Cusack is somewhat adorable as he journeys through the realities of life. And Iben Hjejle, who plays Laura, was unenergetic yet saintly. I felt her character was too forgiving when dealing with Rob's antics, just saying.
Honestly, I rented it only to see Cusack. However, I think Jack Black' character, Barry, made it funny. He and Todd Louiso (Dick) had better chemistry than Cusack or anyone else in the movie. And I didn't like Cusack's hair style. Made him look too goofy. Maybe that's the look they wanted.
The only scene which I loved was when Rob was describing his top 5 reasons why he loved Laura.
This movie wasn't too offensive to watch. However, I've seen Cusack do better.