Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on July 28, 2013
Let me say right off the bat that this is an enjoyable puzzle game (if you like a variety of puzzles, that is) in an attractive format. The graphics are nice, as are the music and sound effects.

The game is indeed fun, if not very easy for experienced puzzle players. It features a dozen or so different types of puzzles, with a 'boss' puzzle at the end of each of the dozen 'levels'. As many of these types of games go, you play against the backdrop of a mysterious story, trying to rescue the old recluse that got himself in trouble. I've been playing for almost two hours, and am over halfway through the game. If I had bothered to use the hint system and the free passes, I'd probably have finished the game by now.

There is the potential for replay, as many of the elements are randomized. Unfortunately, the replay would have to be after an extended period of time, assuming I remember I have this in my library.

Now for the bad news: If it weren't for the troubling permissions, this would have earned at least four stars. Not only does this game have the troubling FLURRY ANALYTICS, it wants access to your accounts! The idea of a game having access to my accounts is a real problem, however. I rarely let any application have access to my accounts, much less something that has no business accessing them. By the way, this game has no qualms over accessing the internet! Something to keep in mind. At least the game works properly with access turned off.

Big Fish offers good game play for the money. Unfortunately, they take a few too many liberties with accessing the internet and especially accessing my accounts! Not to mention the FLURRY ANALYTICS that you should be quite unhappy about. Thankfully, I've rooted my devices and installed firewalls and blocking apps to prevent Flurry servers from being contacted. I strongly recommend you do the same.

Get rid of the account access and the Flurry Analytics, Big Fish, otherwise I can't get bring myself to give a favorable rating on this otherwise decent game.
1313 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2013
I thought this was going to be another room escape game. It's not! There are a variety of puzzles (some similar to room escapes) that you solve in order to obtain pages of a magical book. When you solve one group of 8 puzzles you get a final puzzle, which when solved, completes part of a portrait painting and a part of the story.

This game will keep you busy for awhile. Some puzzles are easy and some more challenging but so far they are not too hard. Example: I kind of freaked when I saw one was Tower of Hanoi, but oh! There are only four disks. Easy peasy and quick.

The sounds and graphics are great and this is a very enjoyable puzzle. I got this on the free app of the day, but I would happily pay for this puzzle. It has many unique, enjoyable and memorable puzzles that make part of a greater whole. Definitely get this app.
on August 1, 2013
This is a fanrastic app if you enjoy doing different kinds of puzzles and don't mind the occasional hidden object hunt. There are several different kinds of classic puzzles and even a more difficult version of simon. The puzzle types repat on several levels, but get increasingly more difficult. But have no fear. If you get stuck on one of the hidden objects puzzles, you can get a hint, at the cost of two minutes. I am really not sure what the clock has to do with the game or what might happen if you run out of time, but it was still something that added to the game for me. I didn't want to find out, so the pressure was on. If you have no problem with the hidden object puzzles, but don't enjoy or are just plain not good at one of the other puzzle types, you can skip them by "using an orb." I took full advantage of the orbs on one type of puzzle that i just found tedious. Did i mention that some of the puzzles get harder as you progress? Again, that just added to the drama of the whole thing for me. I found myself saying "whew, that was difficult. I hope I don't see another one like that again..." And then I would, and I'd be all "fine...bring it on you spectral painting dude, I got this!". Great app. Presumably magic book will mean something for a sequel?
on September 18, 2017
This game had me frustrated at times when I couldn't solve a puzzle in time. But I loved the challenge. Great game. Hope there are more in the making.
on June 9, 2017
I like that all the puzzles are different and the difficult y is my speed. I'm not a beginner but I am not a game genius either.
Enthusiast: Petson August 14, 2013
I bought this game for my desktop computer several years ago. I really liked it. When I saw it for my tablet I wasn't sure if it would be worth my time to even try since I'm pretty disappointed with these types of games for the smaller platforms. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the game runs smoothly and I haven't found any glitches with it. The puzzles are interesting. I'm glad I gave it a try.

I'm using an Asus tablet (Android).
on October 14, 2013
When I first played this app, it was on a Motorola Xoom tablet. And I had numerous problems with it -- crashes, hangs, etc. However, after I got my Galaxy S4, I thought I'd give it another try -- and it runs just fine there. The Xoom is running Android 4.1.1, and the S4 is running Android 4.2.2. Both are fairly "uncustomized" interfaces (and, in fact, the Xoom is virtually "clean Google", since it was supplied directly by them). Never did find out the problems, but when it's running, it's quite a good game.

I have a little trouble with the fact that every section of the game is timed -- and I'm a "relaxed" game player. I don't like to feel pressured, especially when playing "brain games". The good news is that if you miss a level because the timer ran out, you just start that level over. (And most likely will be able to play more quickly through the sections you've already finished, giving more time for the rest.)
on August 2, 2013
This game is a lot of fun...I enjoy games like this, that make me use my Brain, to solve Puzzles, and such...It's challenging, but at the same time, it's extremely frustrating! I've finally conquered the "Robot" without using any of my Orbs, only to get to Puzzle 7 "Voodoo" (in Chapter 4) where I've completed everything in that Puzzle, but am now stuck 'cause I can't get the Pins to work on the "Voodoo Doll" in the Picture!

I place the Pins, where the Circles indicate, but absolutely NOTHING happens! They ought to make it so that you can use 1 pin at a time, and not have to pick up all 3 Pins, together! I have 13 minutes left, to figure out how to get those Stupid Pins to work on that "Voodoo Doll" picture...If I can't figure it out, I'm going to have to start Chapter 4 all over, again! :o{

Has anyone else had that same problem, while playing this game, on their Kindle Fire? How did you finally get the Pins to work? Thank you for the Help! :o}
on August 2, 2013
I played this game on the PC from Big Fish and I enjoyed it then. I was surprised when I found it here on Amazon in the app store but very pleased. The game is identical to the version you play on your PC and worth the $1.99 price. If you a puzzle solver and enjoy a little logic, I think you might enjoy this game. Now keep in mind that I picked this game up as the FAOTD. I could tell you I would have paid $1.99 for the application, but in all honesty I'm not so sure I would have given this a 5 star rating had I paid 2 bucks. If you're getting this free, it's a no brainer. If you paying full price you might find this game rates around the 4 star mark.

The playing time of the game seems to be over 2 hrs which I like to consider a benchmark for any game that costs money to be a mark they must achieve. Worked very well on my Kindle Fire HD 8.9. Easy to understand, and the game does a good job explaining the tasks required to complete the goal at hand.
on July 28, 2013
Why does this game need to access my account details? Maybe they want to know what brand of shoes i buy on amazon and what size my kids are. I don't know what business this game has to access the internet but it does. It would be one thing if there was remote content but there isn't any. Looks to me like the app is another front door into your privacy.

That said, its a fun game but it will not stay around.