Customer Reviews: Outward Hound Pooch Pouch Sling Carrier For Dogs, Easy Fit Adjustable Dog Carrier
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Leonard Cohen Shop Cycling on Amazon Fit for Fall Save on select BOB strollers, Car Seats & Accessories

on August 27, 2012
UPDATE: I added a star, making it five stars. I used this sling on public transit, both bus and subway today. It was excellent. We were on a very, very crowded bus. We stood for a long period. Puzzle was in the sling and did not get stepped on. My arms did not get tired from holding her, and I had arms free to hold onto railings. Folks thought she was so cute in it. She felt protected from not-so-nice bus patrons and dog-shy patrons felt protected from her. I decorated the sling with service dog notifications.

Hi, I'm Julie and this is my Service Dog In Training, Puzzle. This is also my first attempt at movie editing. I will try to leave an update.

Puzzle is 15 pounds, as I said, measures 16 inches around her chest, 17 at the maximum point around her chest, 9-1/4 inches around her neck, no more than 14 inches high at the shoulder (yes, I knit for her). If I recall correctly, a sweater that starts at Puzzle's collar and reaches the front of Puzzle's rear legs is 13 inches long, not sure though. So that gives you an idea of her size. I would say that this sling is a good size for her given her proportions. I'd say you'd need two Yorkies to fill this sling. I am five foot one inch tall.

After I was done making the video, Puzzle made it clear that she liked the sling and found it a cozy place to hang out. I shortened the strap and filmed again. The second film was brief and I spliced it to the first. This product will be great in the winter. Why? Here in New England, they use sand and salt on the roads. If she walks on the road and then hops into my lap on the bus, I'll be covered with slush.

(UPDATE: I shortened the shoulder strap again considerably when we went out because I found it easier to walk with Puzzle up a bit higher.)

Service dogs are normally on the floor but tiny service animals often sit in laps....I can see that this product would help an owner of a non-service dog (pet) in "iffy" situation...the dog looks and feels secure to herself and to others in this sling, rather than just being held in one's arms.

I can see using this product for an elderly dog or puppy who does not have enough energy to complete a walk, but only if the dog isn't too heavy. Make sure you have enough energy to carry the weight of the dog. I would not want to carry Puzzle for miles. Remember, the average laptop nowadays is generally under seven pounds, usually five pounds, for comparison, and laptops don't wiggle out of your arms.

I can see that if a dog does not feel cozy in the sling, it would not be a safe product because the dog is not enclosed in any way. The dog will quickly jump out, even though, as I noted in the film, there is a little tie thingy where you can clip the dog to the sling.

I'd say that the sling itself weighs less than the average jacket and more than a shirt.

I hope I'm not too boring.
2323 comments| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2014
It is great for toting our 16 lb. dachshund around when she gets tired or is in a big crowd. I have added a padded shoulder strap to help with the pressure on my shoulder. Be prepared to tell admirers where you purchased the carrier.
review image
on March 17, 2013
I have a beautiful English Angora rabbit who loves to be on the go. Since i am handicapped all our going is done on power chairs. He loves it, and last month i bought this awesome Outward bound sling made our outing even more enjoyable for my sweet baby Nate.
review image
on May 30, 2012
I just got this and immediately strapped in my small cat to take him for a stroll. Looking at the product, I didn't think he would fit, but I put it on the ground the first time, attached the end clips to the leash and then put the strap around my cat and found that it made the cat lay down to fit comfortably (better balance for me). I went outside and he was fine, looking around. I made the mistake of standing by someone as they were starting a motorcycle, however, and my cat freaked out! If I hadn't had him clipped in, he would have run off for sure! The clips were so great, though, I was able to hold him until I got back to the house, then clipped him in again with ease. It kept a hold of my cat without me getting scratched to death! Worth the purchase.
on August 31, 2015
The description "easy-fit" is otherwise contrary to its design as it is so so difficult to put the dog inside. The front strap is obstructing the dog's head, hence it have to keep its head turn all the time. Its front legs must be kept upright to prevent the side of the bag from choking it, if lying down.
To prevent choking, the strap should not be at 2 ends but at the sides of the bag to allow the dog's head to be in a natural frontal position.
If you look at the video review, it is a struggle to put the dog in and surely it will not be safe to walk with the dog in such an uncomfortable position. Hence, I have to modify the front strap by making a hole for my dog's head so that he will be comfortable. See my attached photos below and you can understand what I am talking about.
video dog
review image review image
on April 19, 2013
Bought this to carry my 14 pound dachshund at a crowded dog show event.

Have had another carrier, which was similar, but not as long...and he did not fit down into it as well. This one is just perfect for his length and weight, although I don't think I would carry a dog much bigger than him.
I'm not very tall (5'3) and have a bad back/neck...and carrying Oscar in this does not hurt me AT ALL! It keeps him close to me, and we are both comfortable. At the same time, my boyfriend is over 6' and he is also very comfortable with it!

Very comfy, for owners and dogs alike. Love the safety features like the leash clip in, and the strap across his back. I would recommend this to all small dog owners..especially Doxies!
on September 29, 2015
Amazing! This bag is perfect for our 14 lbs miniature poodle (about 16 inches neck to tail, long legged too!). He loves to be carried around in this, as it keeps him safe and close. We mostly use it on public transit, as it keeps him secure and my hands are free if I can't obtain a seat and need to hold on. It's also great when we go on long hikes and he can't keep up. He'll take a ride in the bag while he recharges, and loves the high viewpoint. Additionally, he loves using it as a bed while we're out. I just unclip the strap and he nests up inside it. This has come in handy countless times: concerts in the park, beach picnics, hiking, patio dining. It provides him a clean, comfortable spot to relax on unknown ground. Plus,the fabric is very easy to clean as I've needed to wash it multiple times and it comes out looking new.

This bag is just perfect for us! Our dog gets so excited when he sees it pulled out, as he knows it means he's going on a grand adventure!
review image review image
on December 19, 2012
I bought this for my girlfriends pug, she is only two and has bad hips and knees. My girlfriend lives on the third floor of a apartment. and this is a lifesaver. so much easier to carry and safer. thankyou.
on July 17, 2012
I purchased this pet sling for my daughter who lives on the third floor of a walk up apartment. She has two small dogs, one who is blind in one eye and unable to see well enough to walk down the stairs. This was just what she was looking for. Thank you.
on October 19, 2012
I have an Eddie Bauer baby carrier sling that I was using for my 5 lb senior dog. We went hiking on rugged terrain several times. It kept him very safe and was pretty comfortable, but I thought buying one made for a dog would be more comfortable. The bottom of this looked less flexible for better support and roomier. My previous dog passed away and I have a bit more active dog now, so I thought some extra wiggle room would be good. My current dog is 7 pounds.

Unfortunately the nylon material makes it less flexible when he pops his head out over the edge, while the bottom is too flexible to provide better support than the Eddie Bauer. The nylon shoulder strap of this was not as soft as the Eddie Bauer. The nylon is also prone to make me sweatier. I returned the Outward Hound pet sling. Now I know that it is worth the effort to make a few adjustments to the Eddie Bauer sling to perfect it.