Top positive review
8 people found this helpful
Excellent computer... if your expectations are reasonable.
on March 19, 2013
I purchased this computer to serve as a personal/backup machine to my custom built desktop that is running high end specs that take care of most of my personal computer tasks and gaming.
This is a excellent machine for the price. I choose it because I do like Dell's and the fact that it is becoming harder to come by a Windows 7 laptop, which was another big reason for deciding to go with this machine too. There are some real pleasant surprises in this computer that I found.
Just for the record, I only use this laptop for the essentials, meaning I only use it for internet, email, chat, Netflix/youtube and word processing. Anyone that requires capable gaming or other intensive programs should probably up their price range a bit.
- Great clean looking casing and build. Smooth all around, plastic, but feels pretty robust and durable.
- Large and responsive touchpad with multi gestures, this is one of the best touchpads I've used on a windows laptop
- Keyboard is nice and sturdy and pretty easy to type on
- Speakers are very capable
- Overall smooth and responsive once the computer is started up and running
- Screen is bright and clear and easy to read
- Dell's service tag system makes it very easy to retrieve drivers and support off their website
- It's a bit heavy if you plan to travel with it
- Lots of preinstalled bloatware slows the machine down when first starting it up, and must be stripped to reach desired performance
- Start up is a bit slow even after stripping bloatware, the 5400RPM drive seems unusually slower then most
- The fans kick up a bit at times, I am particularly a little sensitive to noise so this may not bother others much as it does me
As you can see, the pros greatly outweigh the cons, and once I configured and customized the laptop to my liking, its great for basic tasks and looks nice. I mostly use this laptop in my bedroom and a little bit around the house, I wouldn't recommend it as a daily traveler, but as a secondary/backup computer, I couldn't go wrong with this choice.