Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 321 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 359 reviews
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2013
I didn't rush to upgrade from my 1st generation 7" Kindle Fire until last week. That's when Amazon put certified refurbished units of the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD on sale for a day. I ordered one. Also, during that day, they had a lightning deal on this cover, at about 20% off, and I jumped on that too. My new 8.9" Fire HD was delivered two days ago, and this cover arrived today.

There's nothing to dislike about this cover. I like the Saddle Tan color, the snug fit, the sleep/wake function with closing/opening the case, and the small form factor. I also like the ability to prop the Fire HD in a good viewing/reading position horizontally. With this 8.9" sized Fire HD, I've discovered that the horizontal viewing position is very good (for me) for reading books, so I'm not so concerned with being able to prop up this tablet in a vertical orientation. (With the old 7" Fire, I disliked reading books in the horizontal orientation; the vertical orientation was the only way that worked for me.)

I'm taking away one star for pricing. Maybe I'm deluded by the apparent simplicity of this case, but the list price seems kind of high. I'm not sure I'd have bought it at the full price, and even the discounted price felt a bit steep. However, I won't be wasting money buying any alternate cases or covers for this tablet, so I'm probably OK in the long run. In the past I've bought cheap cases for some gadgets, only to end up replacing them at additional cost when they failed or just didn't fit.

This case is a keeper.
55 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
A terrific product. The Kindle Fire was a Christmas gift for my husband in hopes of weaning him from hardcovers...our home is
almost to the point of being featured on Hoarders...book hoarders. This leather case did it. It suits the man and he loves reading the Kindle Fire. The case is handsome, turns off the lights, so to speak, when you close the cover. Clever. Neat. Worth the price.
Yes, I do recommend it.
on August 1, 2013
I initially purchased a Marware cover for my new Kindle Fire HD 8.9". You can find my review of that product with it's own evaluations. All I will say about it is that I replaced it with Amazon's own brand cover and am impressed. It truly does make the Kindle cover significantly lighter and thinner than it was using Marware device. I love the way the Kindle clicks into the case. It is unique and adds greater protectiveness an thinness to the product. There is no unnecessary stand, but the device stands well on its own in both aspects. I have seen other reviews of this cover deduct points because they felt it looked cheap. Personally, I find it looks sleek and the leather is lovely in saddle tan. Unlike the Marware it reliably turns the device on and off consistently when the cover is opened and closed. I also love the magnetic lock on this case. It is simply like closing any book and doesn't require the bulkiness of a strap. The cover fits like a glove and its design doesn't interfere with the Kindle's Dolby speakers. The cover is light enough that unlike the Marware I am not afraid that I am going to develop Carpel Tunnel syndrome if I hold my Kindle like a book. Yes, this brand is more expensive than the Marware version, but is money well spent. If you were willing to shell out the money for the Kindle 8.9", the quality of your overall device experience is important to you. Get this cover to begin with. It is less expensive than buying a second one after waiting too long to return the 1st one. If it isn't everything it says it is return it. Amazon is great on returns, but personally I can't see why anyone would send it back. Perhaps it doesn't seem it is worth the money if this cover is the 1st and only one you try, but trust me I have tried more than one.
on January 21, 2013
I spent hours looking at various cases for my kindle to help encase and protect it. With that said,I am not careless (nor clumsy) with my items nor do I expect to attempt throwing my kindle down the stairs; slim, streamline and functional was what I was looking for. I did not want a case that would partially cover the screen of my kindle or a case that would not allow the sound to properly come from the speakers.I was between this and two roo cases(the origami case and another that had a hand strap) both which were considerably less expensive. However, I impulse bought this case as I wanted to protect my kindle now. First I purchased the persimmon colored case which is not as burnt orange as the picture makes it seem, it is more of an orange red. I must say I really like this case. It does encase perfectly, it is slim and lightweight enough to hold in hand with comfort while reading our watching media for a period of time. The material does not feel cheap, however this is only a partially leather case. I like the rubber bumper, and the inside flap. I was skeptical the stand would work but it does, unfortunately it does not offer many options in viewing angles. Although to be honest I have not used the stand function much. The auto sleep wake function works like a charm and having a screen protector on does not inhibit this function. so all in all,I recommend this case and while I did contemplate returning it for a less expensive one, now that I have it and like it,I see no point in returning it...just wish it was closer to thirty dollars than fifty.
on July 17, 2014
Im pretty happy with the Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Standing Leather Case in Saddle Tan.
The color is pleasing and the case feels nice in my hands.
Only complaint is that the case seems to put enough pressure on the bezel on my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" to cause hot spots on the corners of the LCD.
Could be a defect in the Kindle but it happened after i put it in the case.
Other then that, i really like it!
on February 11, 2013
I rated this item lower, because what I consider the most important function falls short. The ease of creating a stand by simply folding the case back was the reason I chose to order this model. There a a number of WAY less expensive models, but they all required some assembly to use. The case is sturdy enough, and it does hold the device upright at many angles, but it doesn't stay in place on hard surfaces. As many others have noted, the "rubber" edge doesn't grip a surface and slowly slides on the surface. Often, you won't realize it has been sliding until it crashes down on the desk or table top. To hold the device upright, I have to prop the back up with a handy non-slip object or hold it with my hand. I'm thinking about how I might correct this without messing up the case -- possibly by roughing up the edge surface or applying something to the that will "grip."

The case does look nice enough (in saddle tan) and it does fit the Kindle Fire 8.9 perfectly. The automatic on/off is also nice. All in all, not a bad case, but quite expensive compared to other very nice covers available. I opted to spend the extra money because of the convenient "standing" feature, but unfortunately that is the feature that has been most disappointing. If I was now looking for a cover for my Kindle Fire, I would pick out something other than this one.
on December 31, 2012
I have purchased several covers for my Kindle 7 and 8.9 and this is by far the best. It is lightweight and easy to use. The materials appear ti be top quality. The button extensions for the power and volume are a nice touch (on some covers you try and reach into a recessed hole cut out for the buttons). I almost gave it a four star because of the price, I think Amazon could make a nice profit on this at half the price.
on February 11, 2014
The Kindle Fire HD is very light. In fact, that is one of its best qualities, so the last thing I wanted to do was weigh it down with a heavy cover. I read a lot of the reviews that complained about how you can't charge it while you watch a movie. I don't think that has much to do with the cover but has much more to do with the fact that this Kindle is designed with the charging jack on the bottom. So no, you can't prop it up on the table with the charger attached, but if you're watching on the couch or in bed, you can make it work. I was a little worried that it wouldn't stay open very well without a third side, but somehow it does great. I am VERY glad I decided to go with this cover. I love it.
on December 16, 2012
My leather case arrived a couple of weeks after my Kindle Fire HD, so I had that period of time to get used to the Kindle Fire in its "naked" form. The case is a spectacular addition. It does not bulk up the tablet, is lightweight, attractive, and works exactly as advertised. Making it into a display easel simply requires folding back the cover and putting it on a flat surface (even on a bedsheet for reading in bed). Opening the cover activates the display; closing the cover puts the Kindle to sleep. The cover has mini speaker grilles that take nothing from the sound output, and all buttons and ports are fully useable. What more could you want?
on October 20, 2014
I really like the cover for my Kindle Fire HD. The leather is lightweight but sturdy and it is such a convenience not to have to hold up the Kindle when I read in bed. An especially nice feature is that the Kindle shuts down automatically when the cover is closed. For the first time I feel that my Kindle is safe from nicks and scratches when I travel with it.

I wish I could say I am equally pleased with the way Amazon has handled a problem connected with my purchase. I inadvertently ordered two covers instead of one. Amazon made it easy for me to post the extra one and promised a full return plus the postage. Instead, I got a prompt refund for the postage but have yet to receive the refund for the cover.