Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 7,633 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 7,908 reviews
on October 26, 2014
I gave this drive to someone as a gift, and they've been using it for backups for 10 months without issue.
My review is based on another unit of this drive which I bought for myself some months later. I've been using it as my primary desktop OS/programs drive since 5/29/2014, so it's about 5 months now. There have been no problems thus far. It's really quite a bargain for desktop use if 1TB is all you need.
The actual capacity of this drive is 931.5GB. That's an old marketing trick which can be blamed for the pointless redefinition of all our real, long established data measurements with those silly "i" characters. I won't dwell on it any further, but 931GB is the true capacity when measured in base 2, as all data is correctly measured.

This 1TB Blue drive uses a single 1TB platter spinning at 7200rpm. There are 2 heads (each side is 500GB).
A single platter design is usually better for reliability than having multiple smaller platters, because there are fewer points of failure, the assembly is lighter, the motor doesn't have to work as hard, and less heat is generated.
Single platter drives will also tend to be quieter, but due to my configuration I can't judge the noise level.

There has been much discussion and testing among users in online forums, including WD's forum, which repeatedly show that the 1TB Blue and 1TB Black perform the same. It appears the only benefit of the 1TB Black is a longer warranty. Some Blacks are faster than this drive, but the 1TB model is not.
Compared to a Green, the Blue is faster owing to it's faster rotation speed. The Green drives also have an "intellipark" feature which causes them to keep parking the heads after a few seconds of inactivity. This can cause laggy response and extra wear. I dislike that design - I believe power management functions should be left under the control of the operating system, which can account for user preferences and what is happening in the rest of the system. Hardcoding this behavior into the drive is ridiculous, in my opinion. The Blue behaves the way I prefer - it does not use "intellipark", it stays ready to roll until directed otherwise through power management commands from the OS.

I wish they were making the Blue series in larger sizes - it seems this 1TB is the end of the line. I don't care for the Greens and the Blacks are more expensive.

Partition/Sector Alignment
--------------------------------
Please be aware that like most modern drives, this drive uses 4KB sectors (also known as "advanced format"). If you are using Windows 2003, Windows XP or older, as I am, don't let Windows handle the partitioning of this drive. This is even an issue on unpatched versions of Vista and Windows 7. These older versions of Windows will believe that the physical sectors are 512 bytes, when in reality they are 4KB. As a result, the partition(s) will not be aligned with the physical sectors. It will still work, but performance will be reduced.
Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP and older do not have any update to fix this, but it's not a problem as long as you do the partitioning with a suitable 3rd party utility. I think Western Digital offers a tool for this, but I've never tried it. Once the partitions are set, it's fine to let Windows format them.
For my Windows XP install, I used a recent version of GParted to partition the drive. GParted can be downloaded and burned to a bootable CD, or installed to a USB flash drive. Just use the option to align your partition(s) on 1MB boundaries. This is the easy way to ensure they are aligned correctly for the best performance. Then boot your WinXP install disc and let it format the partition that you already created. It sounds harder than it is, it's a minor hassle but it's simple.
If you ever change the partitions, once again use GParted or a similar utility that handles alignment for modern hard disks. Don't use the built-in XP partitioning. But again, once the partitions are created, it's fine to let Windows format them.

The built-in partitioning is fixed in Windows 8.
According to Microsoft, it is fixed in Windows 7 after installing Service Pack 1 - you would need to have that service pack before partitioning the drive, not after.
Again according to Microsoft, it is also fixed in Windows Vista *after* installing update MS KB 2553708 - I assume this is automatically installed for people who use automatic updates, but I don't know that for a fact. This won't do you any good if you're doing a fresh install and your install disc predates the required update.

The partition alignment detail I've described above is an issue you will encounter with any recent hard drive, it's not unique to this model. If you ignore it, performance will be affected but it will still work. You may see Seagate drives implying that they are immune from this, but in reality, they are not. All modern "advanced format" drives, of any brand, will perform better if sectors are properly aligned. But it's not a big deal - just use a modern partitioning utility and then you're set.
----------------------

I just tested this drive using "Roadkil's Disk Speed" on Windows XP 32-bit. I'll cut out all the variables and just give the linear transfer results with large block sizes. My drive has a few partitions and there are lots of files on it, so this might affect results.
First partition (first 20GB): 170-178MB/sec linear read
3rd partition (physical location range is from 28-628GB): 153-177MB/sec linear read
Last 300GB is unpartitioned so I can't test that range.
I don't think the random access test is useful, because my partitioning greatly influences the result.
There's a test mode for the whole physical disk, but it's results are too inconsistent.

This drive is a great bargain if you just need a simple, inexpensive, well performing 7200rpm hard disk. I was tempted to try a Seagate SSHD, but I couldn't justify the cost compared to this. If I was shopping today, I'd look carefully at the HGST and Toshiba offerings as well, but from the WD side this is my pick for a general purpose 1TB desktop drive.

Update: It is now 11/2015. This drive is in my desktop PC, used daily, and still works fine.
Some months ago I ran a benchmark on this drive using the linux utility "gnome-disks". The random access performance measured out to a 15.7ms average. This is mediocre, but expected from a quiet drive. Screenshot is attached. It also shows the transfer rate across the disk (read test only, I didn't test writes).
review image
33 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2017
Worth every cent. I had been putting off buying a much larger stroage drive. Finally got one now I can store much more for much longer, get bulk files off of my work drives etc. This drive is a storage drive, not a performace drive. I use it to store files, movies etc. For gaming, and the such, I either use my SSD or my WD BLACK hard Drive. I am glad I picked this up, I have not had a single issue with it, and it has freed me up to do more with my other drives as I no longer have to have them filled up with large files I rarely use. Below are the color codes for WD drives. I do not know how different their performance are from one to another or if it is all marketing, but here it is.
BLUE = Solid performance and reliability for everyday computing.
BLACK = Maximum performance for power computing.
RED = Increased workloads and reliability.
PURPLE = Designed for Surveillance DVR storage.
GOLD = WD Gold HDD is designed for Servers
and some of you mentioned i forgot the green, Thanks
GREEN---Parks the heads for power savings
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I had recently purchased an external hard drive case that is usb 3.0 and I used an old Seagate 1TB Barracuda I had laying around to expand my sons hard drive on his xbox one. Unfortunately the old seagate didnt stand a chance...It worked for a few weeks and then I got the dreaded TICK TICK TICK noise...hard drive platter was ruined...Not sure what happened. Anyway, I already had the 3.0 enclosure with fan so I opted to get another bare hard drive to install in there. I have always had Seagates and to be honest this is the first that has failed me. But it is indeed 8 years old. I installed the new WD in the enclosure in less than 2 minutes and plugged it in. I formatted it for xbox one and installed his games there. We played a few games and everything works like a charm. With the 6GB transfer rate I dont think its going to be an issue. Granted this is day one. I write a ton of reviews so I will be back to let you know if there is any changes in the hard drive.
PRICE: For what I have invested in the hard drive and the fan cooled enclosure it is still cheaper than buying an external hard drive. Not by much as they are getting cheaper, but some.
INCLUDED: You should know all you are getting is the hard drive..There is nothing else in the box. No instructions or cables or plugs or whatever you need to use for your project. This can be installed in a desktop PC that takes a 3.5 hard drive or a 3.5 hard drive enclosure. If you are unsure on how to install this please google it..Remember you live in a "video" era and you have unlimited knowledge at your fingertips.
EASE OF USE: Simple PLug and Play ...You will need to format it for the xbox one. Put it in a 3.5" USB 3.0 enclosure and plug it in. Then follow the onscreen prompts. Its as easy as clicking a button.

Like I said before I have always been a Seagate fan because that is the first brand I got 8 years ago and it lasted this long. This is the first WD I have had so I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I do hope this review helps someone out there. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If you found my review helpful, let me know. Lets keep making better buying decisions together. Thank you for reading and as always Be Safe & Happy Shopping!!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2017
It is my professional opinion, based on decades of building, upgrading and repairing PCs, that Western Digital makes the most reliable hard drives in the marketplace. I believe this 4TB hard drive from Western Digital continues their tradition of "cool and quiet" performance and outstanding reliability, and this particular offering is in the "sweet spot" of cost per unit of storage, where you get the most bang for your buck.

I replaced two 1TB hard drives with this single 4TB unit, to double my capacity and reduce complexity (my two 1TB drives were configured as a RAID stripe set, which increases transfer speed but also doubles the risk of failure). The upgrade was easy, I was able to quickly move my files to the new drive, and it is humming along nicely now at just over 50% capacity.

I use this to store all of my files. I have an SSD for my main/system drive, which stores the OS and applications and loads everything lightning fast. I was concerned initially about the slower 5400RPM rotation speed of this drive, but it has not been a problem at all. When I was transferring files to the new drive I was getting between 140-200MB/sec, which is great for a mechanical hard drive.

The drive is warm to the touch but not hot. I fully expect this drive to perform for years trouble-free, just like the Western Digital drives it replaced, and the Western Digital drives that they replaced before them.
on October 1, 2016
On a 2009 Sony Vaio desktop, I decided to take advantage of the free Microsoft upgrade to Windows 10, just to make sure I had another valid Windows 10 license "in the box", so to speak. Because the Vaio is still in good shape, I thought I might as well upgrade its hard drive, as the 500GB ex-Tivo drive I had in there was getting a bit noisy (in the Vaio, drives are tilted, something bearings do not like), so I ordered this dirt cheap terabyte Western Digital drive. Long story short, Windows likes large hard disks, it makes the operating system run faster, due to the virtual memory it likes, and, at 7200rpm and 6GB/s SATA, this is a pretty quick drive. The install was painless, I cloned the existing drive to the new drive (Western Digital makes Acronis cloning software just for its branded drives available at their support website!), updated Windows, which became Windows 10 Pro, and despite the aging Pentium the Vaio has a new lease on life, and is impressively peppy. The drive isn't just fast, it is virtually noiseless, and runs cool, SMART tells me. The Vaio is all done, and on the shelf as a functional spare.
on July 14, 2016
Working in IT I've come across many different hard drive vendors, and Western Digital by far destroys the competition. I've seen Western Digital hard drives going strong for easily 12 years with no problems whatsoever. These blues are fast, quiet and of course, economical. When one of my clients needs a hard drive upgrade, or when theirs goes out, I drop in one of these and I'm on my way.

If by some strange stroke of bad luck and one of these drives goes bad, I simply head over to Western Digital support, quickly get an RMA request filed and presto I have a new drive.

Now brands like, Seagate...I'm lucky to get 2 years out of them. If there's one brand I hate, it's them; if a drive is dead, unresponsive, has errors, makes noises, runs hot, there's a 99% chance it's a Seagate-- I'd rather use a potato than a Seagate... Western Digital hands down.
on October 15, 2016
I never thought I'd be leaving a not-so-good review for a Western Digital hard drive. I've favored WD drives for many years. A hard drive has to work reliably or it's completely useless. So I don't give super high marks for the device just doing its job. The drive is working.

The gripe I have is the drive isn't very well balanced. My computer now makes a droning sound when the new drive spins up and I can feel vibration on the outside of the case. It's yet to be seen if this will impact the drive's life span. I've never had a WD drive sound/feel like this. I hope WD isn't starting to let their quality control slip.. Historically Western Digital is one of the safest & most reliable drives to buy. It will be nice when high-capacity solid state is cheap enough that spinning drives are no longer a consideration.
on July 6, 2016
Worked great on Lenovo Desktop. From previous experience, I knew I could add this SATA III 6Gb/s as a secondary disk drive. Note: it does NOT come with needed 4 mounting screws, and does not come with any cables at all.

For my desktop, I needed a "Y" SATA power splitter cable, to get another power line to this drive. I also needed a blue SATA III data cable. I had bought these cables on a previous occasion from Amazon when I knew I would be doing two of these installs. I had onhand the small, probably metric, approximately 1/4 inch long computer screws needed to fasten this to the empty, available secondary drive bay.

I had added a secondary SATA drive once before to a different Lenovo desktop, so the actual physical install procedure took me only 15 minutes.

You then need to boot up and into Windows. Then, format it either as NTFS or FAT32, and choose partition type either MBR or GPT, and do a full format (which probably took an hour). For now, I'll use it for secondary storage.

If you plan on installing Win10, be sure to use GPT and not MBR partition type, and use NTFS format.
on May 10, 2017
This is my 1st ever DOA Hard Drive from WD. I have had many good experiences with WD drives, and I have some drives that are over 7yrs old and are still working fine, but are slow SATA 2 drives. The 1 star rating is not meant to be an indication of the overall quality of drives from WD.

I would also like to say that I have had this drive in storage for over 2 months, and I am now past the item return point for Amazon and must now deal directly with Western Digital. So in short, this warning: When ever you buy hard drives or other items for future use, make sure you test them out ASAP to make sure they are working properly and you don't end up stuck with a dead item that you never got to use and get stuck with simply because the warranty starts when you first buy it, not when you first use it. I will revise the star rating once I get a replacement drive. Just hope they send me a new one and not replace my broken new drive with a used refurbished drive.
on February 8, 2017
Buyer beware. I buy a lot of these drives to replace failures with. One that I opened was DOA and it was just out of amazons return period. I RMA it through Western digital as it's within the year. Firstly, I have to pay to ship the dead drive to them. I figure oh well, the cost of doing business. Then I receive the replacement drive and it has "recertified" printed on the label. I think, This must be a mistake. They can't expect me to use a drive that's failed at least someone's test somewhere so that it had to be "re" certified. I contacted WD support and they tell me that's the policy. You buy a brand new drive at full price and you get a used drive back if that doesn't work.
Anyway I lost money on a drive I can't use and can't even sell to anyone at full price, and I lost money on the shipping charge to send it back. I would have been better off keeping the brick drive as a paper weight. Recertified drives can't be used in business machines unless you are prepared for a better than average catastrophic failure.
The return policy of giving used drives in replace of failed drives is criminal.