Customer Reviews: Walk The Moon
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Cycling on Amazon

Cincinnati-based Walk the Moon self-released an enticing album late 2010 called "i want! i want!", which created some buzz, primirily due to the can't miss-must see video that went viral for the band's break-out song "Anna Sun". It didn't take long for major labels to come knocking at the door, and the band ultimately signed with RCA. Now finallly comes the band's major label-debut album.

"Walk the Moon" (11 tracks; 43 min.) starts off with several re-recorded songs from its self-released album with "Quesadilla" and "Lisa Baby", the latter being a a prime example of what makes Walk the Moon such an enjoyable band: smart guitar hooks, heavy drums-and-bass, plus a can't miss sing-along beat. "Next in Line" is the first of 5 brand new songs on here (the older songs are rerecorded with the current line-up, of which lead singer Nicolas Petricca os the only remaining original member). Then comes the band's signature song "Anna Sun", which by now sounds so throroughly familiar, yet still feels fresh. Other standouts among the new songs are "Tightrope" and, even better, "Shiver Shiver", which Petrucci singing falsetto but the underlying grooves are just massive and fun. The only surprise on here for me would be "Iscariot", not one of the band's better songs and feeling out of place due to slow/pensive (instead I woud've included "Me + All My Friends" or "The Liftaway"). "Fixin'" is another great new song. Things finish up with the now-classic "I Can Lift a Car", which also is a perfect summary of the band in one song.

In all, this is a boisterous and fun album, with hardly a weak moment in it. But to get the full Walk the Moon experience, you need to see these guys in concert. I've seen them a bunch of times in and around CIncinnati in the last 18 months, and a good time is always guaranteed. Do not miss them if you have a chance to catch these guys live! Meanwhile "Walk the Moon" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on June 19, 2012
I was surprised to learn that Walk the Moon was a band that originated in the States. Something about the band's sound conjures up memories of Blur (circa PARKLIFE). Their selftitled album is full of electronic rock anthems; it's poppy, fun, and exciting. The slippery guitar riffs, the distorted bass, the pounding drums -- it all makes for layered music that is very accessible and really engaging. It's a great major-label debut - this band is going to find an even bigger audience than its previous ANNA SUN EP allowed.

The album opens with "Quesadilla," an introduction that begins with fluttering synthesizers before launching into a rolling Johnny Marr-esque guitar riff. "Lisa Baby" launches the band into a fun, poppy, electronic number. I was familiar with the Walk the Moon's breakout song "Anna Sun," but I have to admit that the rest of the album does a good job of matching this songs quality; it's not even the best song on this album. "Jenny," a Maroon 5-like track, sounds destined for play in dance-clubs. WALK THE MOON is consistently good, but I will agree with other reviewers that I wasn't crazy about "Iscariot," a slow track that doesn't quite pack a punch. The album is concluded with the fantastic "I Can Lift a Car;" a track that is optimistic and melodic. It ends WALK THE MOON with a calm, determined smile.

While this genre doesn't usually grab me, WALK THE MOON is fantastic; I loved this album. It's engaging, accessible, and energetic. This band is destined for big things. Fans of Young the Giant, Two-Door Cinema Club, Imagine Dragons, or Grouplove will find a lot here to enjoy. Standout tracks: "Lisa Baby," "Anna Sun," "Jenny," and "I Can Lift a Car." Sampling these songs here on Amazon will give you a good idea of what to expect from this album.
This is my introduction to Walk the Moon. What a hot blast it is. "Anna Sun" is utterly addictive with its epic sound, throbbing guitars and voracious vocals, "What can I say, this house is falling apart; We got no money, be we got heart; We're gonna rattle this ghost town." Jenny is another of my favorites with its pulsing rhythm and shotgun lyric, "Jenny, got your number; and I got you for the summer; it's a bummer that things go fast, but these days have been running like sand through the hourglass." "Fixin'" hits the sweet spot with its mix of keyboards and guitar and those high melodic notes, "Don't even tell me where we are going, just walk by my side." "I Can Lift A Car" oozes through the speakers with a romantic pop, "You kiss me on the futon." Walk the Moon's self-titled CD is pure delight! Enjoy!
on November 27, 2012
I discovered Walk The Moon on my recent research of modern bands paying homage to the long lost classic 80's New Wave sound. I sampled some of their songs and felt they had some clear authenticity with great and obvious influences, so I bought the CD.

After listening to the album in its entirety, I can't help but feel there's still some unrealized potential here. You have some wonderfully upbeat and catchy songs that would sit nicely along some of the best from thirty years ago, the three best tunes having been made into very entertaining videos: "Anna Sun", "Tightrope" and "Next In Line". I couldn't help but be impressed when I saw the vocalist sporting a keytar, (Howard Jones would be so proud), and the bassist playing a guitar with a look and sound right out of Duran Duran's "Planet Earth" video. But I guess it is cyclical, so it may have (thankfully!!) been inevitable that the look and sound of New Wave (which was highly scoffed at during the miserably lifeless and colorless 90's) would return again.

But the potential of Walk The Moon is marred by, dare I say it..., juvenile lyrics about girls. OK, so you're young and in a perpetual state of arousal. That's super, but part of the charm of the 80's was that songs could be about any random subject, (telephone booths, construction sites, bugs, anything and everything). Part of the escape with New Wave was that it wasn't the same bland lyrical fodder found in mundane pop music of the time, or any time for that matter. So while the music of Walk The Moon can be very catchy, some songs are ruined by the samey subject matter. The song "Jenny" would have worked if it wasn't just a moderately clever wet dream, and by this point in the album it was just too much.

So while I can appreciate that these guys are young and still developing their identity, I'll be interested in seeing if the catchy tunes on the next album vary a bit in lyrical subject matter. I would be disappointed to see them go down adult contemporary blandness, like other New Wave revivalists Two Door Cinema Club seem to be doing on their second album, but I would like to see a bit more variety in the words on a future release, which I will investigate when the day comes.
on April 24, 2015
Debut album of an awesome up-and-coming band. Mainstream pop hooks mixed with awesome indy riffs and meaningful lyrics about girls with varying names. Love it.

This band is one of my new favorites. I great up listening to Green Day, then got into the likes of Saves the Day, Dashboard, New Found Glory, etc. Now I am into Vampire Weekend, these guys, and a bunch others. If you like Foster the People, you'd probably love Walk the Moon too.

on August 2, 2016
We love Walk the Moon!. Their sound is unique and fun to listen to. I first heard them a few years ago on an online 'new indie music first' channel at work and was hooked! "Anna Sun" was like nothing I'd heard before and I just had to hear more from them. My kids love listening to this band, too. I like that I can listen to their music in my car with my kids and not have to worry about anything inappropriate. This entire album is so easy to sing & dance along to!
on March 24, 2015
I don't like it as much as Talking as Hard, but it does feature the two songs that originally got me hooked on Walk the Moon -- Jenny and Anna Sun -- and I ain't mad at it. Quesadilla and Next in Line are fun. Iscariot is weirdly introspective, but in a good way. Shiver Shiver is catchy if you like a high falsetto. I Can Lift a Car is... weird? But it grows on you. I refuse to even acknowledge Lisa Baby. Sorry, WTM.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2012
I fell in love with Walk the Moon the first time I heard their album I Want! I Want! and after seeing them perform one of the best live shows I've ever seen, I have even more respect for them, but the release of this "somewhat" new album through RCA is over produced and lacks the rawness and energy of the former. I have the biggest issue with the mixing of this album. Usually I complain that people tend to bury vocals, but Nic's vocals are too in-your-face on this album and takes away from his great instrumental arrangements, and the reverb and echoes are just annoying. In addition, Nic appears to have slightly changed the way he sings on this album to a more feminine style that almost sounds like a lisp on some songs, such as Jenny. I enjoy the new songs, especially shiver, but I feel like the boys could have done a better job without RCA. The only song that "might" have been improved was Iscariot b/c it is shorter, faster, and has just a little more energy with choral harmonies. RCA made the album sound more dated and less edgy. To me this is RCA's way of lamely reproducing an already perfect album just so they can make money off them. No doubt RCA has been able to promote and sky-rocket WTM to the top with their connections and promotional ability, but RCA would have been better off to wait to release a completely new album that wouldn't be competing or compared with a previously flawless album. Looking forward to the next album, and I hope RCA is more hands-off on the next one.

P.S. I really wanted to rate this album a **, but I love these guys too much and didn't want to discourage others from discovering them.
on July 21, 2012
I've been waiting for Walk the Moon to come out with a CD since I discovered them a little over two years on Youtube. I love their music and unique sound. You can tell they have fun playing it, you can see it in person too if you ever get to see them in concert. Their debut album is great and I never got sick of it, just found even more favorite parts while listening to it. Can't wait for the next one!
on March 23, 2013
If you like bands like Rooney, Phoenix, Two Door Cinema Club, then you might like Walk the Moon. I like their rhythmic style and upbeat tempos. When I have a hard day I put their music on and it makes me feel better.

Interestingly, a lot of the songs are "romantically" charged in a fun way and somehow that doesn't bother me, which I generally find annoying. The song "Jenny" for example, is fun: "Jenny's got a body just like an hourglass / But I'm taking my time, taking my time / I wanna be the sand inside that hourglass / Take it slow, oh, oh, gonna make it last..."

There is depth to their music, though. Iscariot is pretty deep as well: "Until now, I knew this of myself / That if you had thrown yourself down / Into the lion's den / My brother I'd follow you in / Perhaps I lack some foresight (should have known) / But brother you were so right ... I never imagined you dead (I never) / But tell me, are you even aware / That all that we did, you undo? / Iscariot, you fool..."

I recommend. Enjoy.