Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Merrick Classic Real Chicken, Brown Rice and Green Pea Dog Food, 30-Pound
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

Shiba Inu (35lb) and Malamute (80lbs) owner here. I had been shopping for a new dog food since my old Taste of the Wild brand got hit with a recall. Ideally I try to keep my dogs' food in as close to the dollar:pound ratio, but it's getting harder and harder to find a good premium dog food in that range. At the time of this review, this Merrick product was creeping up on the two-dollar per pound mark, but I decided to give it a try anyway mostly because of a random sampler I was given while at a pet store. I took home the sampler baggie and my dogs went nuts for it. The dogs were currently eating a mix of left-over Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food, Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon, 30-Pound Bag and its replacement Hi-Tek Naturals Grain Free Lamb Meal and Sweet Potato Formula Dry Dog Food, 30 Pounds. The dogs still loved the Hi-Tek, but if you placed a bowl side-by-side with the new Merrick, the Merrick would be gone first.

For those who have tried Merrick in the past and found that their dogs were ambivalent to their flavors, I would highly suggest grabbing a small bag of their new formulation and trying again. My dogs didn't really care for their old gimmicky flavors (turducken, pot pie, etc), but they really loved this new "Classic" variety. As of this review, my dogs have been eating the product for about two weeks. They're both healthy and their ...droppings... are still as solid as with any other premium dog food. DogFoodAdvisor also gave this new formula a five-star rating.

Since I can't seem to find the full ingredient list on the Amazon product page, here is the list from Merrick's site:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Peas, Barley, Sweet Potato, Chicken Fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Salmon Meal (source of Omega 3 fatty acids), Oats, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Apples, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Minerals (Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Rosemary Extract.
on March 20, 2013
After a bit of research I decided to feed my dog Merrick's Classic kibble. From what I can tell, it's the highest rated dog food within my price range. My dog seems to enjoy it, she's tried all the "flavors". I can't find it in any local stores, so ordering over Amazon is very convenient. Price seems good compared to other online stores, especially if you have the free shipping with Amazon Prime.
on December 3, 2014
I see nothing wrong with this food, but the product is simply not consistent. I've ordered it 3 times now, and each time the bag was exactly the same, but the food inside the bag was different. The first two had dark granules, each a different shape from the other, which is fine I guess. The third bag had lighter colored pellets.

None of the the three bags of food seemed to have anything wrong with them by themselves, but my dog had diarrhea for a few days during the switch between bags. Since I don't know what's going to be in the bag next time, I'm forced to switch to a another more reliable product.

Sorry Merrick, I wanted to like your product, I really did.
on March 25, 2014
Our dog was itching & scratching . . . It was suggested by a pet store employee that it may have been the dog food we were using . . . So we switched to Merricks which we found at Amazon (cheaper & delivered in 2 days) . . . Using it ever since.
on January 22, 2014
My dog enjoys this food and the ingredients seem to be great. However, this gives my dog the worst gas Ever!!! He passes gas for hours after eating it. I'm going to switch to grain-free. Hopefully this helps.
on August 13, 2015
Love the Merrick line of dog food! I've never ordered dog food online before and figured that I would test it out. Product is awesome, my 14 year old Golden has been on this brand of dog food for about a year now and he loves it, it's a little pricey but my dog is worth it and I want to ensure that he isn't getting anything in his food that I wouldn't eat myself. Besides I probably waste the amount of money it takes to buy his dog food on junk purchases so why not spend the extra money and have the confidence in knowing your providing your extra member of the family with quality food.
on December 30, 2012
I have two boxers a male and a female that love this food, I switched from purina pro plan to merreck. they were constantly shedding there poop was always soft/watery and irregular now they poop normal look good and shed 90% less. Highly recommend
on March 22, 2014
My dogs love Merrick dry food. They love the wet too(LOL) but it gives my little one diareah for some reason. However, the dry food is better anyway for their teeth and they love it. I've bought this from amazon a few times already and it's always come well packed and no rips. Will keep on buying as it is a great price on amazon and cheaper than the local stores.
on March 17, 2015
We've been using this food for a while now. Our dog was earlier on the Merrick grain free chicken (brown bag), but he would occasionally have runny poop and really, terrible, clear-the-room type of flatulence. Who knows why. But anyway, we then switched to this one, and have no problems at all! This is a bigger bag (30 lbs. vs. 25 lbs. for the grain free) and is slightly cheaper or equal to what we paid for the grain-free. I would love to switch him to grain-free, but why fix what is not broken.
This food isn't as stinky as the grain-free and each piece of kibble is slightly bigger. To my knowledge, Merrick hasn't had a recall of their dog food, which is definitely a plus. Our dog loves this food, and it offers great quality for the price! Not all pet stores sell this food, so Amazon is the way to go. We treat our dog to wet food by Merrick (same line) every so often, and the combo works super well for us. Five stars!
on December 26, 2012
It is rated highly and the dogs seem to like it. I am supposed to use nine more words. Done!