Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon August 23, 2012
Shiba Inu (35lb) and Malamute (80lbs) owner here. I had been shopping for a new dog food since my old Taste of the Wild brand got hit with a recall. Ideally I try to keep my dogs' food in as close to the dollar:pound ratio, but it's getting harder and harder to find a good premium dog food in that range. At the time of this review, this Merrick product was creeping up on the two-dollar per pound mark, but I decided to give it a try anyway mostly because of a random sampler I was given while at a pet store. I took home the sampler baggie and my dogs went nuts for it. The dogs were currently eating a mix of left-over Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food, Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon, 30-Pound Bag and its replacement Hi-Tek Naturals Grain Free Lamb Meal and Sweet Potato Formula Dry Dog Food, 30 Pounds. The dogs still loved the Hi-Tek, but if you placed a bowl side-by-side with the new Merrick, the Merrick would be gone first.

For those who have tried Merrick in the past and found that their dogs were ambivalent to their flavors, I would highly suggest grabbing a small bag of their new formulation and trying again. My dogs didn't really care for their old gimmicky flavors (turducken, pot pie, etc), but they really loved this new "Classic" variety. As of this review, my dogs have been eating the product for about two weeks. They're both healthy and their ...droppings... are still as solid as with any other premium dog food. DogFoodAdvisor also gave this new formula a five-star rating.

Since I can't seem to find the full ingredient list on the Amazon product page, here is the list from Merrick's site:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Peas, Barley, Sweet Potato, Chicken Fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Salmon Meal (source of Omega 3 fatty acids), Oats, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Apples, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Minerals (Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Rosemary Extract.
44 helpful votes
45 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 3, 2014
I see nothing wrong with this food, but the product is simply not consistent. I've ordered it 3 times now, and each time the bag was exactly the same, but the food inside the bag was different. The first two had dark granules, each a different shape from the other, which is fine I guess. The third bag had lighter colored pellets.

None of the the three bags of food seemed to have anything wrong with them by themselves, but my dog had diarrhea for a few days during the switch between bags. Since I don't know what's going to be in the bag next time, I'm forced to switch to a another more reliable product.

Sorry Merrick, I wanted to like your product, I really did.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on March 20, 2013
After a bit of research I decided to feed my dog Merrick's Classic kibble. From what I can tell, it's the highest rated dog food within my price range. My dog seems to enjoy it, she's tried all the "flavors". I can't find it in any local stores, so ordering over Amazon is very convenient. Price seems good compared to other online stores, especially if you have the free shipping with Amazon Prime.
10 helpful votes
11 helpful votes
on August 13, 2015
Love the Merrick line of dog food! I've never ordered dog food online before and figured that I would test it out. Product is awesome, my 14 year old Golden has been on this brand of dog food for about a year now and he loves it, it's a little pricey but my dog is worth it and I want to ensure that he isn't getting anything in his food that I wouldn't eat myself. Besides I probably waste the amount of money it takes to buy his dog food on junk purchases so why not spend the extra money and have the confidence in knowing your providing your extra member of the family with quality food.
3 helpful votes
on March 17, 2015
We've been using this food for a while now. Our dog was earlier on the Merrick grain free chicken (brown bag), but he would occasionally have runny poop and really, terrible, clear-the-room type of flatulence. Who knows why. But anyway, we then switched to this one, and have no problems at all! This is a bigger bag (30 lbs. vs. 25 lbs. for the grain free) and is slightly cheaper or equal to what we paid for the grain-free. I would love to switch him to grain-free, but why fix what is not broken.
This food isn't as stinky as the grain-free and each piece of kibble is slightly bigger. To my knowledge, Merrick hasn't had a recall of their dog food, which is definitely a plus. Our dog loves this food, and it offers great quality for the price! Not all pet stores sell this food, so Amazon is the way to go. We treat our dog to wet food by Merrick (same line) every so often, and the combo works super well for us. Five stars!
on March 8, 2013
I have a six year old, 56 lb setter mix. I was feeding her Science Diet light for years (recommended by a vet) to keep her at a healthy weight. Now that there are so many better options for dog food out there I decided to switch to a food higher in protein and lower in corn and by-products. I first switched to the super high protein Origen brand. My dog loved it for about a week and then turned her nose up at it. I switched to Merrick after that and haven't looked back. I used to have to mix a little wet food in with the dry to get my dog to eat, but I found that's not necessary with this brand. My dog loves it! She's been eating it for about 6 months now, and while she has gained around 6 lbs (I feed her the minimum amount suggested for her weight since she's a bit of a couch potato when she's at home), but I believe she's gained it muscle, not fat. Her coat looks great and her eyes are bright. She really looks forwards to mealtime now - something she never had much interest in when she was eating Science Diet. I highly recommend Merrick classic to anyone looking for a high quality dog food. My only regret is that I didn't make the switch sooner!
on March 17, 2016
I would give this product a 5 star, and have been buying it for almost 2 years now. However, I started out buying the Large Breed Classic and that was phased out. Now the price keeps going up. Since the last time I bought this, February 19th, the price went up $5.00 for the 30 pound bag! I could buy the new 25 pound bag for $53.00, but that is how much I paid last month for the 30 pound. I believe it was much cheaper when I started buying it 2 years ago. This is getting to be too much. I am considering switching to a new dog food.
on September 21, 2014
I've been really repulsed by the stuff even my favorite dog foods that are supposedly safe - but suddenly list some suspicious ingredients that I discover are not made here. Some people say made in the USA is suspect, but it's a whole lot easier to track down and blast them here in America. China gives us no choices and doesn't care whose pets they kill.

And besides, mu Sheltie and Collie both bug us if we don't feed them exactly when the time comes. Who taught them to tell time?
on June 9, 2013
My dog Toby has been eating this for about 4 weeks, and he likes it, but he likes anything. Prior to this flavor, we used the Lamb, which he liked also. Toby gets dry food one time per day, and fresh raw meat one time per day. I use dry food for cost savings over exclusively feeding fresh meat, and for time/convenience. This product meets my quest for a high quality dry food with no artificial ingredients and no by-products. The price is okay, similar to comparable products. All the better foods are high priced in my opinion, but I use it as long as my income allows, because it's a priority to feed my pets good food to help keep them healthier. I have to say that I was feeding him high quality natural canned food (sometimes organic brands) rather than fresh meat for one of the meals. Toby would need a bath every 2 weeks, really even by 10 days or so. Grimy and smelly fur. When I switched to fresh meat in place of the canned food, his fur and odor greatly improved. He can go 4 weeks without a bath. That is with still getting dry food one of the meals per day, no matter what brand of dry food. I add Dr. Pitcairn's healthy powder to the fresh raw meat, which is chicken, turkey, or beef. Not organic meat, can't afford that!
on June 20, 2014
My dog, a pit bull mix, is doing very well on this food. No stomach issues or gas and compact firm stools which I always associated with better quality dog foods. I was feeding her Blue Buffalo previously and she was doing well on that, but after reading a five star review of Merrick on the "dog food advisor" web site I decided to switch her over. The fact that I can get it with Amazon Prime shipping at a very good price made it a nobrainer for me. The price is competitive with foods in the range of Blue Buffalo but the rating is more in line with much more expensive food like Orijen. I would like to mention that two of the vets on the staff at the Veterinary Medical Center we use suggested that I feed her Pro Plan or Purina One which is what they said they feed their dogs. They both suggested that it's fine to feed her premium food but they feel that it's not necessary and more expensive. I don't know if premium foods are hype or not, but if you're like me and it makes you feel better about the quality of what you feed your dog go for it.