Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 65 reviews
on December 8, 2012
I have been counting the days to get my hands on this set. When it came in the mail the box was damaged. It is like so many movie and music sets now days nice looking if you never touch it. The outer box is a cheap cardboard that has a lid that opens on the top. If you open and close the lid too many times it will tear. The cd cases inside are cardboard to look like original albums. Nice but tight in the box and not something you want to be sliding too much. The discs will scratch if you keep taking them in and out. So I will buy sixty blank cases and stack them up after I copy them to my ipod. Just what you need when you have lots of stuff.

There is info about the set on a seperate sheet of paper glued to the outside of the box on the back and bottom. Since I want to keep this intact I will be putting the box in a ziplock bag. Another thing to mention is that if you bought many of the Legacy Recordings over the past few years keep them for the bonus tracks. The albums in this set are true to the original records. There are no bonus tracks on them.

So I gave the set 5 stars and have pointed out all the negatives. I always get upset when people ding a product because of things like packaging. Yes Amazon sent me a damaged item and I will be asking for another one. As annoying as this may be it should be about the music inside. Johnny Cash is always wonderful to hear and many of these titles have never been on cd. It is a great collection and I am happy to own it. Everything is here from the Columbia years. I was happy to get the Gospel Road on cd.

Now if you buy all the Sun recordings and the two deluxe box prison sets along with the American Recordings including the box set of unreleased American recordings and the Mercury stuff you will own the entire discography. Buy it!
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2013
My wife got me the "Johnny Cash Complete Columbia" box for our anniversary, and it is simply amazing! There's so much to listen to and learn from this monstrous body of work. I love the small vinyl replicas and back covers with all the information. Nice and informative booklet, although I wish they had the duration of each song, not only in tiny writing on the CD's back covers, but also in the booklet. I was afraid that the case itself would be kind of wabbly and thin. That would be dangerous for supporting the weight of 63 CD's! Well, I was very happy to see that the box is very sturdy and has a beautiful old stylish silver shading.
Just great!! I don't have any problems with the mono mixing for the first 19 discs and I think they all sound clean, loud and the songs don't lack any depth or punch!

There are a few things I don't understand though...
In the booklet, under the list of musicians for albums like "Hymns by J. Cash", and "Songs of our Soil" there's mention of "Unknown vocal chorus". From my understanding The Jordanaires were also part of those albums providing the additional vocals. On Wikipedia The Jordanaires are mentioned as backing vocals for the two albums I mentioned above. So, who is right? Rich Kienzle and his production team or the ol' internet?
Also, Wikipedia says,(Yes, I'm a pain and I research and compare a lot - but I have a normal job too) that "From Sea to Shining Sea" was released in January '68. The box says 1967. It's really not a big deal. I just think that a collection such as this box set should give you 110% confidence that you are reading the most accurate facts. Yet still I found some small diversities.
One last thing is the fact that, I just found out that "Greatest Hits Vol.1" (released between "Happiness is You" and "Carryin' On" was not included.(??) I understand that "Destination Victoria Station" was a special release at the time, only found at Victoria station restaurants, making it kind of not part of normal releases, but "Greatest Hits"?

Well, enough about comparing and other oddities. I love this box set and if you want to earn a piece of music history and understand why Johnny Cash was and is a tremendous influence not only to country, but to all sorts of musicians, listen to this collection. It will set you on fire!
on December 16, 2012
This set is amazing! The older albums sound great in mono, and it is great to have so many albums released on CD for the first time. The packaging is very nice, and I'm glad they decided to preserve the integrity of the original albums by including each in its own reproduction of the original cover instead of combining several albums on one CD. And considering what you get, the price is a bargain.
on March 21, 2013
This box includes the monumental almost complete recordings of the iconic Country singer Johnny Cash for the Columbia label. Not included is the mid 1970's promo album "Destination Victoria Station". It also does not include outtakes etc. All his albums are issued how they were originally released. The first 19 albums are in mono only. These are minor complaints, as it is an essential purchase. Most of his later work from the 1970's and 1980's are available on CD for the first time. A must have not only for Cash fans, but for every serious collector interested in American music.

Siegfried
on June 6, 2013
As a huge Johnny Cash fan it was great to have all of his Columbia albums together in one collection. This collection also highlights some of his best Sun recordings as well as single releases that didn't make it on an album. For the price per CD this is a bargain (you get 63 CD's). The Carter Family CD with special guest Johnny Cash was a pleasant surprise also. From the concept albums of the early 60's to the two live prison albums, gospel albums, to the wonderful recordings of the 70's into the mid 80's, including the two Highwayman albums, this collection is perfect for the long-time Johnny Cash fan or for someone who wants to explore this wonderful music for the first time. One CD not included that would have been nice is the Tennessee Three's intrumental album. I have been really enjoying re-discovering hidden gems of album tracks that I haven't heard in years so this has been a real treat. I highly recommend this collection!
on December 5, 2012
This set is not country music. It is American music. Johnny Cash is American music. Kris Kristofferson said his face should be on Mount Rushmore. I would say that if God had a speaking voice, He would sound like Johnny Cash. It is all here. Every single album he cut on his way to music immortality. For those, like me, who still like to hold theirusoc and to read the liner notes, this set is like an old friend.

With this set, it is all about the Voice, the boom chicka boom, and the music and the Voice is as low and rumbling as ever.

The only drawbacks are in the design. I am afraid the disks will get scratched being removed. The essay is riddled with factual mistakes. Shame on Sony for allowing such simple and obvious mistakes to mar this otherwise opus of a tribute. It cost them one star.
on August 27, 2013
I am about 3/4 of the way through these albums. I rate the songs as they play and most rate 4 stars, many 5, and only a couple of 3. As a whole, his albums are the same quality as The Beatles or Beach Boy albums. It is probable that I would not have bought these individually, but as a set and for the price this is an amazing collection. It is a shame that a lot of his output had been dismissed in his time. Albums that Rolling Stone claimed to be must to avoid are great. I would have liked to see the record executives faces when he came in with the Gospel Road, They must have thought he was nuts. Listen to these gospel albums, they are amazing. His song selection on all his albums were brilliant. He made the music he wanted to make and thankfully the record company let him. Go buy this. If you have read more than one review you must want it. You do not have to tell your wife.
on October 12, 2013
As a lifetime Johnny Cash fan, I made sure to pre-order this collection as soon as it became available. Unfortunately I already had about one-third of these albums on CD, but most of these have never been available on CD before. A few of them came out as MP3s a few years back, but I had been holding out waiting for them to be released on CD and this is the ultimate collection. It may seem a little pricey at first, but considering what you are getting, it is well worth the investment for any Cash fan. My only regret is that I wish auto-rip was available on this product. It would have saved me a lot of time!
on August 20, 2013
My husband is a huge music buff and I am a Johnny Cash fan, so he convinced me to order this set. There are 63 discs and a book, all nicely organized in a good quality box. We haven't listened to all of the albums yet, but so far we love it.
on April 14, 2013
As a lifelong fan, I've longed for this release for many years. I'm very pleased with the set and recommend it to any fan wanting to fill out their collection of missing albums.