Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 12, 2014
I love this story and read it as a child. I ordered it for Christmas for my girls and was so disappointed when it arrived. It is not a regular sized book like I had as a girl, but a tiny book that is the size of my palm. Looking over the description, I can see that if you click the "read more" link at the bottom, it does say that this is a mini book, but I really think it should be stated clearly in the page title.
review image
44 comments| 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2017
I absolutely love reading this to my daughters. It helps break the stereotypical gender ideas in fantasy to show the strength girls/women can have not only in the face of a "standard" princess issue, but also the strength to change one's mind when presented with new information/upon having an epiphany.
on February 18, 2015
This edition is a collector's edition and not one to be bought for someone who just wants to read the story. The story, however, is a wonderful tale for modern girls -- my college roommate sent it to me for a birthday gift about 15 years ago, and I have enjoyed reading it many times since then. This is a story about a Princess who is "going to marry" a Prince that she kind of likes; then one day, a dragon burns the Palace down and steals the Prince (maybe he was nearsighted?). The Princess who stands in the ruins in her own fair skin, can only find a large paper bag for clothing, but she dons it and hurries off to save the Prince; and she does so by very clever flattery and sharp, quick thinking. Once the Dragon has collapsed in exhaustion, she picks the lock and there's the Prince. But, in typical Male Chauvanist fashion, Prince Ronald sneers at her because she is dirty and bedraggled and wearing a paper bag; he tells her to go clean up and put on a decent dress and come back. Instead, she gives him a polite but sharp reply about how pretty his clothes are and how nice he looks, but finishes, "But you are a jerk." And, as she skips back down the road, we are told "They Didn't Get Married." My college roommate sent me this book because that's pretty much the way my last and final engagement ended! I am a happy spinster and I hope this Princess is too.
on June 14, 2017
My four year old LOVES this book - and I love that the heroine is brave, gets herself out of a jam, and calls the prince out for being useless and superficial. Such a refreshing change of pace from most princess stories. This is a classic for a reason!
on March 3, 2017
This is everything that fairy tale stories should be! Teaching girls to settle for nothing short of the best! The most classic children's author of funny but meaningful stories. A definite recommend to anyone raising little girls!!!
on November 19, 2015
One of my favorite kids' books of all time. Princess Elizabeth is my kind of princess. She's intelligent, determined, and she doesn't put up with anyone treating her badly. This book should be read to every little girl constantly, throughout her childhood and into her teen years. I recommend keeping a few copies around to give your teen and adult female friends when they've been treated badly by a guy. The story is a good reminder not to accept poor behavior, but in a very fun story. This mini Annikins edition is only $2 so keep several on hand. This Halloween I passed them out to lots of little girls, particularly those dressed as princesses. Of course, it's also a good story for boys, but I think it particularly hits home for girls who sometimes are still told that they should be looking for their "prince."
on March 14, 2017
A fabulous throwback from my childhood added to my own children's library. A strong leading female character who saves herself and her prince, its wonderful to teach my kids that not every girl dreams of marriage or someone to save her and that not every prince is charming.
on July 15, 2015
Growing up Canadian it's pretty hard to avoid Robert Munsch, so I was thrilled to see his books finally available on Amazon. They show up gorgeously on my tablet, and since I've had the pleasure of hearing him tell stories (and wore out many, many cassette tapes in my childhood!) I can still hear him in every word.

I love this book the most of them all and it's the one I give to every new parent, every kiddo I know, and my nephew loves it as much as my nieces do. There's a dragon! There's a prince! But there's also a very clever princess who will rescue herself, thank you very much. Told in typical Munsch fashion, it's endlessly repeatable, very easy to make up sound effects and character voices, and the illustrations tie it all together perfectly.

The last lines are generally crowed aloud by everyone, and this is definitely a keeper for your bookshelf.
on November 30, 2015
I buy this book regularly as a baby shower gift to friends who are having girls. I love that it is a pointed story that points out princesses don't always need a prince to save them, which is a nice contrast to other princess stories. The heroine in the story uses her brains and her wits to take care of herself.

Robert Munsch is by far one of my favorite children's book authors, as his books are outladish and fun. I would recommend any of his books!

This was a personal purchase at the current retail price.
on July 9, 2016
I first heard this book read during "A story for all ages" at my church. I fell in love with the book immediately

So many stories and fairy tales teach young girls to wait for their prince and that true love is the ultimate goal. This book instills a sense of much needed self respect in girls and I think the moral is one that sticks with any young girl far into her teen years and even early adulthood.

She doesn't need to chase after her prince, nor does she have to stay with someone who doesn't appreciate her. Rather in ball gowns, or paper bags, she is a princess

MUST READ FOR ANYONE WITH A DAUGHTER