Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 824 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,040 reviews
on June 14, 2000
I am so happy I got this book for my four year old daughter. It's the perfect antidote to those unrealistic Disney stories (i.e., Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty). And don't get me wrong, I think that those Disney stories can be fabulous, but the subliminal messages are somewhat 18th century. The Paper Bag Princess, on the other hand is decidely modern. Its message is: if a guy isn't nice to you, he's not worth it, leave him. Really, is there a more important message about relationships that we ought to be sending to our daughters? There are other wonderful messages in here for girls: you are resourceful, be strong. And, as an added benefit, this is a great and funny book, both of my daughters love it. This would make a great gift to all of the young girls in your life (and I think the age range should start at 2, not 4).
0Comment| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2014
I love this story and read it as a child. I ordered it for Christmas for my girls and was so disappointed when it arrived. It is not a regular sized book like I had as a girl, but a tiny book that is the size of my palm. Looking over the description, I can see that if you click the "read more" link at the bottom, it does say that this is a mini book, but I really think it should be stated clearly in the page title.
review image
33 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2016
The book is amazing, of course. It's a great story! But it's very deceptive to not tell people they are ordering a doll sized version. Other people are complaining of the same issue, so this isn't just me. But the one I got could fit in the palm of my hand. They need to update the description to inform customers that this is a super mini version.
review image
on March 10, 2017
I really love this book, and so does my five year-old son. So, we were excited to give a copy to his preschool friend for her fifth birthday, and we felt so lucky that our delivery arrived the morning of the party... right before we had to leave. We were excited...until we opened the package. We, too, were deceived by the misleading description and had no idea we would be receiving a miniature copy of this beloved story. I have no idea whether the story has been abridged, because we literally opened the package and left for the party, wrapping the present in the car when we got there (yes, procrastination may not really be a virtue, I know...). Anyway, if you think you're getting a bargain, what you're really getting is what you pay for. Small price, small book. Two stars because the story really is fantastic.
Have you ever worn a paper bag? What would you do if it rained?

The author, Robert Munsch, continues with his wonderful books. The author has a keen sense of humor, and if the ending doesn't fit how you think, it is always the best. In this book, Elizabeth the Princess has a wonderful life, she has beautiful expensive clothes, she lives in a big castle and is going to marry Ronald the Prince. Then, one day, the big bad Dragon comes along, burns down the castle, steals her clothes and carries off Ronald the Prince. The Princess found a paper bag and decided to wear it. Then off she went looking for the Dragon as he left destruction in his wake.

Parents/teachers will enjoy reading this book to their children. The children will be laughing at the funny language and the Princess's antics. There are lessons to be learned, and it is not the usual ones. The illustrations by Michael Martchenko, are bright, vivid, and beautiful. This story is so funny that everyone who reads it will love the ending.

Recommended. prisrob 04-23-15
on April 6, 2016
This book is a New Family Favorite!!!!!! The story line was a little harder to keep up with for a five year old but it does offer many laughs. When the Princess is standing there "naked", it elicited deep belly laughs from Julie. Even though the drawing does not really show the girl naked because she is covered appropriately, Julie laughed and laughed that how could a girl be naked in a book? My daughter loved that the girl was wearing a paper bag. Did she have any under clothes on? Oh No! Is she still naked? While my daughter did not get that the Princess is the one that tires out the dragon, she did think it funny that the Dragon could no longer burn up the Princess. She thought that the Prince was rude to the girl but then she thought that the Princess was rude to the Prince at the end as well. I am so glad we bought this book because it is one that will be read over and over and over.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 28, 2016
First read this to my daughter years and years ago when she was about 8.... Had an occasion to bring a book to girl baby shower where they asked for your favorite kid book. I have always loved that the princess in this story did not "need" a prince to be happy. A good lesson and a great story for all little girls. I never hesitate to update my reviews should new info seem useful, nor do I shy away from answering comments/questions. I do NOT receive compensation of ANY kind for my reviews. My purchases are VERIFIED, FULL price and 100% independent. As are my reviews! They are fully my opinion, which could differ from yours - and that's ok. Happy shopping!
on September 20, 2014
TINY!!! It's not reasonable to expect a customer to read the product description to the end to see that it's a MINI book. That should be in the title. Also, the manufacturer picture is of the full size version.
on March 26, 2016
I got this for my baby shower by a family friend. It turned out to be my favorite book to read to my daughter. Since then I've gotten it for my sister's-in-law too who also have daughters.

I love this book because the moral of the story is that "not all princesses need to be saved" (I wrote this on the inside cover of the book and mailed it to them for Christmas). So often in storybooks the female is depicted as a Dame who needs saving. In this book, the princess sets a different tone.

The story starts out with a princess who is to marry a prince, but the Prince is stolen from the castle by a fire breathing dragon (who also burned down their castle and her clothes). She sets off to find the Prince wearing the only thing she could find, a paper bag. The clever princess finds the dragon and tricks him using her wit. She saves the Prince who is so full of himself that he tells her to come back when she is dressed like a princess. In the end the princess tells him that "he may look like a prince, but he acts like a bum". She then lives happily ever after without the vain and selfish Prince.

In my opinion, this book teaches young boys to be compassionate and not arrogant or shallow. It teaches young girls that being strong and independent can make you happy.

In a time when we need strong women as well as men more than ever. There are books like this that can help shape who they are apart from the cliché friendship and sharing books.

This is ultimately about the battlefield of relationships and how they don't always work out. Even when you try your hardest. But it is when it doesnt work out that you need to understand the complexity of inner strength. Where inner peace and happiness draws from. If we can create a strong influence of self awareness and self assurance in our children early on through books. Imagine how our children will make an impact in our world.

I would recommend this book to anyone with young children. Even boys.
on February 17, 2017
This is, of course, an excellent book and my go-to birthday present. However, I was very surprised to discover upon its arrival that this version I ordered off amazon was a miniature version. Like 1 inch by 1 inch! Just make sure and check the size before ordering.