Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop now HTL17_gno

on May 10, 2015
I am a well-read male, sixty-five years old. I have read perhaps a thousand books in my lifetime; some fiction, some non-fiction. I recall setting down The Good Earth as a teenager after turning the last page and thinking, “This is the greatest book I have ever read”.

I purchased The Good Earth on Kindle recently because it was $3.00 and I recalled it having an effect on me. It moved me as it did fifty years before. It is simply, and yet powerfully written, stirring the same emotions in me as it did before. As I re-read it, I kept reminding myself “This is just fiction about Chinese peasants”. But it is far more than that. Much as Shakespeare transcends the sixteenth century to tell stories about people, so Pearl S. Buck transcends the foreign mores and privation of turn-of-the-twentienth century China in telling her spellbinding story.

This may still be the best book I have ever read. The Good Earth was then, and remains now, a classic of English literature.
11 comment| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2017
She was one great ladies of literature and an American but more importantly an Asian of western extraction. There is much to be learned here and even more to be appreciated for a lifetime!
on September 11, 2017
So glad I was able to start this series with an Amazon book of the day and finish the series by borrowing it digitally from my local library.
on November 5, 2016
Very interesting book based on Chinese culture of which I was totally ignorant prior to this. The author was the child of missionaries who served in China and thus lived there many years. The writing style was very straightforward and the story was engaging.

In a nutshell, you pretty much have to read it to believe it. The story answers a lot of questions about Chinese society I didn't know I had. The book won the Pulitzer Prize and the William Dean Howells Award.
on May 10, 2013
This classic is true literature. Pearl Buck opens a window into China before the Chinese Revolution in a way that is captivating. The reader is intimately introduced to a state of poverty for the primary characters. Insight into village life is at once educational, disturbing and comforting somehow. The author takes us on a journey of a young man pulling himself out of poverty and into affluence through hard work, good sense and business savvy.

I must say I didn't enjoy the main character, Wang Lung, immensely. He is cold and sometimes cruel, though he has redeeming qualities as well. The life his wife has to endure is sad and frustrating to witness at times. However, I have to trust that the author was intent on giving us the realities of life in China during the early years of the 20th century and she would be remiss to omit the uncomfortable details. The discomfort I felt is a testament to the author's ability to tell a tale in which the characters are revealed as they are at whatever cost to paint an accurate picture.

This book is perhaps my wife's all-time favorite. It is beloved by countless readers around the globe. It doesn't reach that level for me, but I came away knowing I read an important book and I'm better for having read it.
on June 18, 2017
Buck wrote beautifully her story of the poor people of China. Easy to see why she won a Pulitzer. Engaging and heart warming.
on August 8, 2017
read it years ago and loved it. will keep it on the ipad for when i am between mystery/thrillers and want something nobel prize worthy to read.
on July 11, 2017
I love this book used for the summer reading. It has good vocabulary and helps advanced readers
on November 19, 2015
On the surface, it's a simple story. I thought it was for children at first because of how clean the narrative was. However, it's a profound analysis of the basic human attitudes towards life and sheds light on universal human instincts. It is a tale of hard work / success, family relations, freedom and slavery, all set in the remarkable back drop of pre-revolutinary China.
on March 13, 2016
This is obviously a classic

It describes China during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Gives life lessons upon China's culture that both differs and reiterates the journey of life throughout all cultures. This book is a long journey for all involved, specifically the reader. It wonders through Wang Lung's grown life with ferocity and yet depth when it truly matters. Sit back and enjoy the good earth, and upon which, relax in the wisdom & peace it brings.