Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HP Pavilion g6-2132nr 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc  Trolls Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer shameless7 shameless7 shameless7  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition BonIver Shop Now STEM

on October 6, 2012
Being in need of a laptop to use while not able to use my main computer, I opted for this over an Acer model I'd been considering with roughly similar specs. Having good experience with HP laptops in the past, I figured this would meet the same standard, and after receiving this and getting everything set up as I like it, I'm pleased with the purchase.

PROS:

The full-size keyboard with the number pad is a great boon, and while it's not necessary, especially if you don't do anything that requires the input of a lot of numbers, it's a deciding factor for me, as the number row is too slow for me personally. The low profile keys are responsive and quiet, which makes it good for use late at night without having to worry about waking others, and the spacing between the keys makes typing a breeze.

The touch pad is textured, which is initially strange, since most laptops have smooth touch pads, but I've found it's actually a nice touch. It's easier to tell when you're accidentally resting your fingers or hand on it and the mouse is doing something it shouldn't because of it. I haven't much of an issue with this, though, since it's placed well enough away from the keyboard that idle thumbs won't be resting on it and centered in just the right spot that your palms don't come near it.

The screen is on-par with most other laptops in this price range, although the horizontal viewing angle surprised me, with little to no visible loss in image quality. If you're going to be watching movies, this is something to consider. Paired with the respectable quality of the built-in speakers, this is a good media machine for travel.

Compared to other laptops I've used, the mere 5.5 pounds this weighs in at barely registers when I have it sitting on my lap, and the construction, for being slim and plastic, is solid enough that dropping it shouldn't cause any damage (though I don't recommend making that a habit).

By far my favorite feature of this laptop so far is the cooling. Even when I was putting it through the paces and pushing the system and graphics load by testing games, it never got much above warm, and that was mainly only noticeable when putting my hand in front of the heat vent. Even then, it was back to running nice and cool within a matter of a minute or two. This is, hands down, the best cooling I've ever come across in a laptop.

Overall system performance is top notch for the default hardware this comes with. Windows experience rating barely breaks the 5 mark, but for this range of laptop, this is expected, and is primarily a fault of Windows itself demanding the ability to use transparency and other effects. Turning these off will improve performance, but not noticeably enough for most purposes to make it worthwhile. Upgrading what you can on the system will do more to improve this than turning off cosmetic effects.

CONS:

The default hardware, especially the RAM and hard drive. With only a single 4 gig stick of RAM and a 5400 RPM hard drive, load times and data access speeds are noticeably hindered, and if you plan to be doing much more than word processing or internet with this, you'll definitely want to spend the extra $20 to at least upgrade the RAM with another 4 gig stick to max it out. Since this system uses the newest board technology, you can safely use PC3 12800 RAM chips without issue (just be sure it's laptop memory and not for a desktop system). For the hard drive, I'm personally a fan of solid-state drives, but even nabbing a 7200 RPM drive will provide a marked improvement in load times and access speeds. These two upgrades, if you get a top-rated 1 terabyte drive, will only add another $120 (or less) at current prices.

If you're looking for a gaming machine, you are not going to be pleased with this machine. The graphics card, while not sharing RAM with the rest of the system (from what I've been able to see), is a long way from optimized for cutting edge games. My own testing with the relatively un-demanding Terraria got me a lot of system heating and lag after only a few minutes of play time. If you do want to play games on this, you're going to have to stick with games that don't require a lot of processor or graphics power. Again, this is not a gaming machine, and expecting otherwise is going to leave you sorely disappointed.

Heat vents are another issue, but this is primarily only a concern if you actually use this on your lap. The primary fan vent sits right on your left leg, preventing any airflow from coming in, and the cooling vent for the hard drive and RAM has similar issue with clothing. This isn't a major issue, but if you're regularly doing anything that runs the system warm, it could potentially cause damage in the long run. Getting a hard surface to set this on in order to maintain airflow is recommended.

---

On balance, the biggest issues with this laptop can be resolved with some relatively cheap upgrades, and those that can't be fixed are outside the scope of what it was designed for. I'd definitely recommend this system to others, or get it as a gift.
on September 28, 2012
I received the HP G6 thru an awards center. The computer has an ample hard drive, windows 7 home premium and 4gig ram, making it very fast with great capabilities. HP s rapid cooling system functions very well and the HDMS port is perfect to align it with my Samsung 26" HD Television. I have always been partial to Desktop computers but this laptop has changed my mind.The pricing and combination of speed and capabilities make this unit a great buy.
on October 31, 2012
After reveiwing about 5 different laptops I settled on this one. I wasnt looking to spend a million bucks but wanted something good for every penny I spent. I'm very pleased with this and would reccomend this HP for anyone looking for a good value priced PC. I use it daily for email, surfing, music, photos etc. I will tell you I am not a "gamer" All in all, very satisfied.
on February 11, 2013
I bought this laptop when I started doing contract work via the internet. I needed something that was effecient and easily transportable. It has met both criteria just fine. I love HP products...computers, printers, and accessories. I have used them for 30 years and never been disappointed.
on November 17, 2012
I have had mine for a little over a year now... and as long as you can use your head, install updates, clean it with ccleaner (free version), this PC will amaze you. If I didn't already own one, I'd be buying this hot deal today........... Yer' welcome Amazon!
on January 4, 2013
This computer is well powered and has many great features for the price. Got it with Windows 7. Quick and versatile. Display looks good and graphics co-processor is good enough to run most recent games at decent framerates (some 2012 may not be fully playable; check online for ratings of the processor card before you buy) Got two for my kids for Christmas and they love them. More features and just as much power as my girfriend's new MacBook Pro 13.3, for less than half the cost. Only gripe was packaging - they came loose in a much larger box with barely no interior padding and no fragile indicator, this way up, etc.... Worst packaging I have ever seen from Amazon - totally disappointed. HP boxes inside were unscathed and PC's fine, but this was an accident and return to Amazon waiting to happen, which would have really bummed out my kids Christmas
on February 6, 2013
could do with out hp using part of the HD for recovery
and the norton trial
but otherwise it works well
fast and cheap, but u get what u pay for so if u want the newest processor cough up the cash
on November 20, 2012
I don't have a lot to complain about with this machine. The price was right, I like the numeric keypad on the right hand side, and after pumping in some more RAM the performance is OK. However, I have to ding this two stars because the wireless adapter it comes with does not support wireless N. I'm just kind of stunned that in this day and age a new laptop would ship without that ability. I'll have to move large files around my network using my old laptop after transferring it from this new one via a wired connection. Thankfully I don't have to do it that much, but if you need N capabilities, keep on searching.
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2012
I got this for myself, works really well, love HP products, however i am experiencing with the chargers for HP Pavillion laptop while charging it gets really hot, as well as the HP TouchPad charger becomes hot and i can hear it sparks i got another one and experience the same problem, I rethinking my choice now with HP products, really need answers.....OH the battery when fully charged donot last as advertised, im having less hours.
Please advise......
on March 24, 2013
I bought this as a gift and the recipient absolutely loves it. He said it is fast, keyboard is comfortable and he loves it. His kids and grandkids like it too! I don't know how to rate a laptop's functions (software/hardware)....we just know what we like and we all like it!