Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,996 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,137 reviews
on January 5, 2017
Excellent Drives. I've been running a variety of WD Red, Green, and Seagate Archive Drives for the better part of several years, and I thought that I would share some useful advice for things to watch out for when buying new drives, and detecting infant mortality.

First thing to look for is to observe the packaging the drive arrives in. It is industry practice to ship one or more drives in boxes that are made to perfectly fit the drive. Inside the box, the drive should be suspended with two plastic holders. These holders suspend the drive and dampen any drops the package may experience during transit. (Bulk orders (15+) may be shipped in a single larger box with foam cut-out arrays).

Secondly, when installing the drives, make sure that your hands are clean. Give them a wash, or better yet, wear gloves. Avoid transferring finger/hand oil to the drives so that hot-spots aren't created.

Thirdly, once the drives are installed, give them a full, long format. You can run 1, 3, 5, (or even more) passes on the disks. This ensures that every single sector of the drives gets written to. Once the format is complete, look up the SMART data, and check the values for anything alarming. If a drive suffered damage in shipping, now is when it may be noticeable. Compare the values to your other drives. Start-up times, head parks and so fourth may vary slightly so there's nothing to be worried about a little deviation there, but pay attention to failed reads, reallocated sectors, and RUEs.

Granted, all of this advice should be taken with a grain of salt since SMART values are not the silver bullet to predict drive failure, but this testing should be a good indicator on whether or not a drive is ready for production use.

Above all else, remember that backups are your friend.
on August 3, 2015
I am sorry but WD's warranty is a joke. Bought two brand new HDDs, one failed a few months after being in my RAID 1 NAS. Returned under warranty (had to pay for shipping) - got back a RECERTIFIED HDD. Which, of course, failed after 1 month and lost ALL data. Returned it again (had to pay for shipping) - again got a RECERTIFIED HDD which was simply DOA and could not start at all. So their "5 year warranty" is simply feeding you with faulty recertified HDDs until you run out of money for shipping them dead ones. Great idea, WD. Sorry, cannot trust you my data anymore. Going to your competitors.

UPDATE: After a long back-and-forth I was finally sent a brand new drive which functions fine now. Upgraded from 1 to 3 stars.
1313 comments| 271 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2014
On Windows it comes out to 5.45TB. I transferred a little over 2TB to it and average write speed was 110MB/s. Right now it's just sitting on top of my computer case but after that long transfer I used a temp gun and the surface of the case was 87F and the drive was 101F.

UPDATE ****

I just purchased a second drive and did some testing on it while blank and uploaded the results under customer images to the right.
review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2016
The drive worked great until a month after I installed it. The drive failed and started an electrical fire in my NAS. The fire destroyed the drive and all surrounding cables. It also caused cosmetic damage to the NAS it's self. I'm currently trying to get the drive and cables replaced through WD support. The NAS is 3 years old and before the WD Red 4TB upgrade it was running 1TB Samsung spinpoint drives without any auto ignition. I have 3 more identical drives that haven't caused an issue so it may just be a bad drive but a drive failure shouldn't result in a fire.
review image review image
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 21, 2016
Having owned many of these hard drives with great success, I've recently experienced a first for any Western Digital product that I've owned. While on under a pretty light load, my PC recently caught fire! The source seems to have stemmed from 1 of my hard drives. I am unsure if something on the hard drive failed or if it was the sata/psu cables or the psu that caused the issue. Drives WCC4E0028521 and WCC4E1137006 seem to be ruined. I am in the process of rebuilding to see what/if anything else is damaged. Major surprise for a typically good product.

Hate the update this review with an unhappy ending.... but since I was issue my RMA citing reason for fire and physical damage, Western Digital has rejected my RMA due to physical damage! When I created the RMA with their rep for FIRE you would think physical damage would be expected. Now I have multiple failed drives with only their "advanced replacements" they were happy to change me for. Thank you but no thanks! If I wanted to purchase new drives I could of done so from day 1! Customer service that was delivered was below average. Hate to see a company such as this not support their products!
review image review image
44 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2017
I've installed a couple dozen of these drives for NAS and other uses. I've come to the conclusion that I won't be buying any more going forward. The first issue is the number of failures. I expected 1 or 2 failures, but I've had 5. It's actually higher than any other product I've owned, even the notorious 1.5TB Seagate from back in the day. The next issue is the price. I don't feel like I'm getting anything special for my money. Finally, I tried to use the web site to do an advanced RMA and it wouldn't let me and I had to call in to support. I created a ticket for the issue from within my account logged in to the support site and the first question back was what is my shipping and billing address. Are you seriously not able to access my account information and I have to send it over e-mail?? You also can't see the communications back and forth in the support portal. It just has my original request.

So WD has burned the bridge here on the Red drives. I'll just do what the big guys do and buy the cheapest drive I can get and build my redundancy into the system. Back to yanking Seagates out of enclosures....
on January 11, 2015
Purchased 2 of these drives. One failed after less than 2 years, within the advertised 3 year warranty period.
First, the website for RMA was terribly broken. I eventually gave up trying to RMA online and moved on to phone support.
Over the phone, Western Digital refused to RMA the drive despite it being purchased directly from Amazon. They have the drive misidentified as being sold as part of a piece of hardware (like a NAS bundle, I guess). This doesn't make a lot of sense anyway since WD still manufactured the drive, but regardless it was incorrect. I eventually got escalated and was able to RMA, but this was after quite a fight.
I am now waiting on a return drive, but clearly Western Digital's warranty is all about advertising upfront, and rejecting when the time comes. I will not be purchasing any more hard drives from Western Digital.
on February 9, 2017
I have been using WD Reds in my Drobo 5D for several years now. Starting with 3TB then some 4TBs now I have swapped out the 3TB for 2 6TB. They have been installed for about 2 months now with no problems.
The RED series is designed for NAS and raid systems. They are basically Greens with some extra software / reliability built in.
I bought the reds because I was looking to upgrade my storage size and the price for the 6's was finally at my price point, while the 8TB is still to much for me.
Reds also have a longer warranty period than most of WD other hard drives.
One area for concern is that I recently read a report from Black Blaze, this 6TB model may be less reliable than the 4TB or 3TB. But in the report it didn't give exact model numbers on the 6TB used so these may be a different model where WD fixed any issues.
I have been using WD as my primary HDD brand for about 8 years now. I have had no issues. All of my drives have lasted well past their warranty period.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 13, 2016
Warranty recertification service is terrible. One of my four WD red nas drives failed under warranty with too many bad sectors error code 08. Bought a replacement locally (paid $20 over Amazon) and filed a warranty claim with WD on the defective drive. Paid return shipping after receiving RMA from WD. Two weeks later received a re-certified warranty replacement drive and it also fails with same error on WD diagnostic software. I don't mind receiving a re-certified drive as a warranty replacement, but it would be nice if it actually worked. WD re-certification program obviously does not thoroughly test. I'm buying a new NAS system for a small business in the next month or so and most likely will chose a Synology over a Western Digital after this fiasco. Docked them 2 stars for sending me a bad "re-certified" drive, 1 star for wasting two weeks time, and another star for having to go through the whole customer service thing all over again and wasting another 2 weeks on hope of getting a working warranty replacement. I'll give them one star for acknowledging the claim and having a smooth process....it's not customer service's fault that their tech dept doesn't know how to test their own drives before certifying them.

UPDATE: Have now received my second replacement drive for original warranty and it's no good either. This time they want me to pay for return shipping! This company is terrible. Lawsuit, lawsuit, lawsuit...........really this how NOT to take care of a customer.
on October 27, 2016
I don't like to review things until they have had some use on them. I purchased 2 of these drives a year ago, as replacements for a RAID that had a couple Seagate drives in it. The Seagates did out live their warranty, barely. These 2 Red drives join 4 other Red drives already in use, in another array, which has been active, non-stop, for the last 4 yrs (when Red drives were first introduced). I have bought over 100 hard drives over the last 25 years (way back to MFM on an EISA bus!), from every manufacturer out there, and many that are no more. I have had drives fail from every manufacturer, but in my experience, Western Digital spinning disks seem to fail the least. Can't beat Red drives for storage on spinning platters.