Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 12, 2014
In this future world, high school students are required to attend Scarcity class. For the final project, the students are supposed to "embody" some form of ancient lameness, spending two weeks being blind or whatever. This is supposed to teach them what things were really like in "the old days."

Barefoot Tillman decides to go with the common cold. Other students chose hunger, illiteracy; most chose diseases. Maria decides to suspend her hormonal balancers. She wants to find out what it was like to be a teenager "back then." She wants to experience the intense feelings. Kieran decides to try sleeping. He plans to sleep 3 hours a night. In this future, people don't need to sleep, they communicate in headspace and no one experiences diseases or even hormonal fluctuations.

My opinion:
The novella is told from two points of view, Kieran and Maria. It is interesting to see how sleeping (& dreaming) and hormones affect them. And how it changes their outlook.

It is amazing how Scott Westerfield manages to tell this story in only 9 chapters. I found myself wanting to learn more about this world and the people in it. I felt connected to the characters and it was fun to watch them learn about things that are so foreign to them yet such a big part of our everyday lives.

I enjoy Westerfield's writing and this book was no exception. This is a fun, easy to read book. It is short and can be read in one evening. So worth it!!

Recommended to:
Young adults who like their dystopian futures with a touch of romance.
on January 2, 2013
I had high hopes for this book, partially because I really love Scott Westerfeld and partially because I hoped to use it in a writing course centered around reading and writing the internet. But Stupid Perfect World really felt like a let down. It was a quick read--it took me maybe a couple of hours--but I think that is the problem for me. As a novella, I felt kind of cheated: I didn't get to know the characters very well (in fact, I can't even remember their names!) and I never quite felt like something was at stake for them. The overall premise is really, really interesting, but I think this story needed some more time and space to grow and develop into something really meaningful. Otherwise, it's just a story about future generations wishing for the "good ole days." Perhaps this book would be an important and even enjoyable read for adolescents with an over-reliance on the internet. If you are looking for a book to really immerse yourself in, try Westerfeld's Uglies series or--for something more similar to Stupid Perfect World--check out Feed by M.T. Anderson.
on September 2, 2016
I just wanted it to keep going, that's all... hugely enjoyable read. It's fun to read about our daily experiences as foreign relics of a forgotten past, and I was intrigued by the vision of a future gotten of education where people aren't stupid and lazy (or anyway, no more than usual) but do use unbelievable tech to its full advantage.
on December 4, 2012
I love this story but be forewarned: it was previously published in the "Love is Hell" anthology. I bought it not realizing it was the same story I'd already read. It's still a wonderful short story. Even if you don't think you're a fan of futuristic settings you should totally give this one a try.
on February 28, 2015
At 59 pages I'd call this a short story and not a novella. The premise is fantastic and very much a Westerfeld kind of future, but I would have loved a full book in this universe. This felt more like one rushed chapter of a bigger book. The characters are pushed through their respective storylines lightning fast, and I felt like I wanted to know more about what they were experiencing. And for the length, it's overpriced.
on December 3, 2017
I love the story, but I feel like it got cut short right before the story really started to take off.
on March 9, 2014
I love the author, and the subject matter of his stories are always intriguing. This one I loved because it looks at society's willingness to suppress things--the "inconveniences" of life-- and break them down into necessities and pleasantries instead of being downfalls.
A good short story to keep one thinking
on October 1, 2016
I loved this story!!! It was entirely too short and should be made into a series. Very good writing, as usual.
on January 20, 2016
Great jumping off point for conversations. I liked a different take on post apocalyptic world, other than dystopia. Could be SO much more!! Would love this as a novel.
on March 11, 2013
My only problem was that it was too short! But it was a very good book and i love Scott's style.