Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Color: Soft Tactile - Cherry MX Brown Switch|Style: Professional - Standard Key Caps|Change

Showing 1-10 of 918 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,002 reviews
on October 18, 2015
Computer users searching for the next best thing in mechanical keyboards will undoubtedly take a gander at models made by Das and Matais, two top makers. I have keyboards of each brand, both selling for about $125. There's this one, for my Mac Pro (with Cherry MX Blue keyswitches) and the Matais Tactile Pro 4 (with Alps keyswitches) for my PC. I bought the Matais several months back and liked it so much, that I set out to buy the equivalent model for my Mac, Pro with the Mac-specific keys. However, I didn't like the look of the Matais Tactile Pro in Apple-style white. All the keys were cluttered with two or three icons or letters and the whole thing just looked too messy. I guess the Steve Jobs design ethos has worn off on me. I'll add Matais says its Mac keyboard is very similar to the famed Apple extended keyboard from years back. If you remember and like that keyboard, you'll probably like the Tactile Pro. I'd read good things about the Das, so I decided to try it. My verdict? I give the Matais a slight edge, based on personal preference for the feel of the switches and not the features or quality of the keyboard, which are first rate. These are solidly built keyboards and I think most typists would be happy with either brand. I was as a journalist for more than 30 years and I know a good keyboard when I pound on one. I used to love the fat chunky keyboard that came with my earliest Mac, IBM's early keyboard and the Atex newspaper publishing system keyboards, but I'm getting off track. As noted, the Das uses Cherry MX switches and the Matais uses Alps switches. You'll have to do your own research to learn about the nitty-gritty differences among switches, but here's what I noticed: The Matais is more "clicky." You have to give the keys a good poke to trigger a response. The Das keyboard action is slightly softer and you don't have to tickle the keys with the same commitment because they're not as springy and don't travel quite as far as the Matais, from what I can tell. The difference in keystroking is noticeable but not dramatically so. If you like to bang away on a keyboard and you enjoy the clackety-clack sound it makes, you'll like the Matais Alps switches. Don't get me wrong, the Das Cherry switch also has a nice feel and I guess that's what most mech keyboard buyers go for. And it's a wee bit quieter so you might prefer that if you're in an open office where noise levels might be an issue. The Das has two USB ports on the side and a cable with two USB plugs on the end, so keep that in mind if you're low on USB ports. It also might make a difference to some people: The letters on the Das are all lower case. I like the crisp unknown-to-me font the maker uses on the keys. All in all, I'm tempted to send this one back and try the Tactile Pro 4, despite its ugly looks.
review image review image
on May 15, 2016
Switching from a Roccat keyboard that gave me a ton of issues over the past year of use. Keys would randomly stop working. Enter, backspace not to mention the weird capslock set up. Basically that keyboard doesn't have a capslock. All around not worth the price.

However. This keyboard. Worth the price. At first I was skeptical for $140. I was worried I'd be let down.

Pros:
It's straight plug and play. No drivers or need to setup.
It feels nice, great mechanical keyboard.
Fast response, no unnecessary gimmicks or keys.
One year warranty with copy of receipt.
Feels very sturdy.
Doesn't take up a bunch of space.

Cons:
Now I don't really count them as cons. But if I would have known this before hand, I wouldn't have ordered with Amazon.
If you order directly from the daskeyboard website, you get a 3 year warranty, instead of 1 that you get here on Amazon.
Also if you're military, you get free shipping and 15% off.

If you have animals, be aware that the keyboard finish will allow hair to stick to it. Does come with a cleaning cloth that fixes that problem quickly.

In short, I'd buy again. But from the manufacturers website. 3 years vs 1 year warranty can make a huge difference.
review image review image
on July 15, 2016
When I bought this keyboard I was the type of person that had to look and typed with a few fingers at a time (around 20 wpm) but really started having the need to type faster at work and for school. I'm not sure what drove me to this keyboard but I guess I thought that spending $120 on this keyboard would at least stop me from tossing it to the side and giving up on no look typing....
Well, a year later I can say that my touch typing skills are very good and I even got used to getting all of the special symbols on the first try after about 6 months. That being said I just graduated and brought it to my new office and am seriously considering getting some rubber o-ring dampeners because I feel like even the brown switches are somewhat loud in a quiet office environment. I highly recommend listening to the recordings on their website.
on May 2, 2016
Yes, it's fast and it's a nice keyboard, although over a short time the letters have diminished some. Despite what others say that they don't. Mine has. The one big complaint I have is that it's not backlit and in low light in a room it's frustrating to not see which key I'm trying to depress. I know, I know. Turn on a light, but that's not always an option. I do think it's price is exorbitant compared to other keyboards that are backlit and less money. But overall it works fine. Will see if the letters continue to diminish on the keyboard. The ones I haven't been depressing are white and bright. The ones I pound on everyday are dull grey and diminishing. So regardless of what others say that they don't -- I spend 10-12 hours a day typing transcripts all day and I can tell you it does take a beating which is why I bought this keyboard in the first place because of all the touting that it can withstand this kind of industrial use. So just gauge how much you'll use it and why I guess is my review. I'm not over the moon about it as others are.
on March 19, 2016
I like this keyboard; I can't say I "love it". Would I buy another? Yes, most likely but I hope to not need too.. Note that I have the "Model S Ultimate Soft Tactile"; this has the Cherry MX Brown switches*

But why isn't it 5 star then? Well, I can't say it's perfect and everything I expected.

Good
Typing on it is nice. The keys are a bit squishy compared to another mechanical keyboard I have. The DasKeyboard is significantly quieter though which is good. (more at the bottom)
The keyboard is quite plain (aside from the blank key-caps. It has the glossy top plate and the "daskeyboard" logo. Other than that, it's a keyboard without key inscriptions. This is a feature (hence this is in the "good' section)
There are no special drivers. Just plug the thing in.
The USB ports (FYI they are on the right side).
It has the menu key (I.E. mouse context menu key -- the key between the right ctrl and right win). I use this a lot, most people don't notice it.

Bad
When propped up on it's feet (the fold out feet) the keyboard can slide around. At this price point, I would have expected the fold out feet to have rubber on them to prevent the sliding (or some other solution). Therefore, I have to keyboard flat and I prefer it propped up a little bit.
Said USB ports are only 2.0 instead of 3.0; this seems like an easy value add for Das Keyboard.
The aforementioned "squish" in key presses. Instead of a Click as the switch "switches", the key just squishes down. You feel the tension let go in the key but it's not quite as concrete as the "click" feeling and sound you get with other switches. This, I suppose, is the price to pay not to drive my colleagues up the wall.

*Regarding the switches, I came from Cherry MX Blue switches. The blue switches has a distinct click and tension release once the key press is "accepted"; the click was always heard by anyone I was on conference with (phone or VOIP). With the brown switches, they don't make any noise themselves but you still get the sound of the key bottoming out. It's significantly quieter though.
on April 18, 2014
I recently re-discovered mechanical keyboards when I was browsing through best buy and happened to come upon the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Gaming Keyboard. I remember the keyboards from my childhood, when we learned computer basics in elementary school, and the clicky noises they made. After testing out the floor model at the store I immediately fell in love with the noises and decided that I needed (wanted) a mechanical keyboard for the new Mac I plan on purchasing in the future! After reading many reviews between this Das Keyboard and the Matias Tactile Pro, I ended up choosing this keyboard because, honestly, it's more aesthetically pleasing than the Tactile Pro (in my opinion). I also noted that the Tactile Pro uses ALPS switches vs. the Cherry MX Blue switches in the Das Keyboard. Again, to be honest, I had no idea what that meant at first. When I was researching different mechanical gaming keyboards I noticed that the majority of them use some variation of the Cherry MX switch, so that also made me lean towards the Das Keyboard. I also noted various complaints about sticky/mushy spacebars and backspace keys in this particular model (apparently the company had switched manufacturers at some point.) However, I decided to go ahead and take the chance and buy the Das anyway.

I am not disappointed! In fact, I am writing this review simply because I wanted an excuse to use my new toy! Also, I felt that it deserved a little love to offset all of those one-star reviews from customers who were complaining about the spacebar. My spacebar is awesome! So are the rest of they keys! If I had to be absolutely nit-picky, I'd say that if any of the keys seemed ever-so-slightly off, it was the "backspace" key, but it is not an issue that causes me to scream in outrage. This is a four-star product! Why not five stars? Because, to me, a five star product should go above and beyond. If this keyboard had illuminated or backlit keys in the color of my choice, then it would be five-star. But that's all just for show anyways. All the functionality is there where it counts. Consider me satisfied!
review image
on June 1, 2014
If you were like me and wanted a brand new shiny first mechanical keyboard, look away from this product. Das keyboards look good, and in fact they used to be very good, but recently they switched carriers of who makes their keyboards. As in, the first keyboards produced were produced in Taiwan and were extremely high quality. In the past few months (years?) Das has switched to making their keyboards in China, and it even says so on the back of the keyboard. This has SUBSTANTIALLY lowered the quality of their keyboards.

I received the package in great quality, the keyboard itself LOOKED great, but it did not FEEL great.

The space bar sounded terrible, the backspace, enter and other big keys were sticky and mushy. And the letters, I couldn't put my finger on it but they did not feel like actual brown switches, they felt like knock offs. I say this because my roommate has a WASD keyboard with cherry mx browns, and they feel greatly different. This could all be personal perception, but after typing on the keyboard for about an hour I packaged it back up, drove to the nearest UPS and sent it back to amazon. Do not make the same mistake I did. These keyboards are not completely terrible, but they are NOWHERE near the quality they used to be. There are much better brands out there for the same price with superb quality.
on July 17, 2015
What a fantastic product.

About myself. I am a graduate researcher and casual gamer. As such, I rely on my computer for fun and to make a living. The keyboard serves as the constant interface with this machine. Das Keyboard makes typing come alive. Not only is it fast and comfortable, but it is enjoyable. I have to admit, this review is just an excuse to type!

My keyboard is extra clicky and I love that. I can understand how it can be to loud if you share an office or if you must type while talking on the telephone. In these cases, consider getting the quieter, brown MX equipped, keyboard.

I do have one complaint that is specific to the Mac version of the Model S Das Keyboard: the location of the function (fn) key. Unlike on a typical Mac keyboard or the Macbook Pro laptop keyboard, the fn key on Das Keyboard is located on the RIGHT hand side of the spacebar. This key should be on the LEFT hand side of the spacebar, like it is on Mac keyboard. The reason is very simple. If you use the F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys you must simultaneously press the fn and an F1, F2, etc key to activate their shortcut function (such as volume control). Because both the shortcuts keys and the fn key are located closer to the right hand, you are naturally inclind to use the right hand for both. This, of course, is not possible, so you are "made" to use your left hand to press the F keys. This is somewhat clumsy.
on February 27, 2017
I bought this because it was touted as a modern day IBM "clickey" keyboard replacement. It doesn't even come close to that feel. Compared to the IBM keyboard of yesteryears it feels soft, the click is barely felt or heard and the loudest noise comes from the keys striking the bottom not the clicking of the spring. The only people who think it feels right are those who've grown up on the "chiclet" keyboards like you find on laptops or Apple products and don't have a good point of reference.
Couple of other issues I have with it:
it has a dual usb plug. This is so that you can use the full power usb port on the keyboard. I DON'T use that port, I don't care much for it, but I still have to plug both usb plugs into my iMac or it doesn't recognize the keyboard. So I just lose a USB port on the back for no good reason.
It is unnecessarily thick, which requires a palm rest but none is provided. I know I can buy one, but at this price I would have expected one to be included.
All in all it is a passable mediocre product that is highly overpriced.
on May 15, 2017
I am loving my new keyboard. It is responsive and aesthetically very pleasing. I have never spend $100 or more on a keyboard before, but after purchasing this one I can see the difference in quality.
I was looking for a mechanical keyboard, as we use some at my work, and decided I would like to have one for home. After doing my research, I found Das Keyboard, and as I have a Mac, I was pleasantly surprised that they had a mac version of their keyboard. I would definitely purchase again.