Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Amazing Spider-Man (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Water Sports STEM

on November 5, 2012
I read a lot of reviews for this movie before watching it myself. In the end, they all boiled down to a few basic criticisms, which I kept in mind as I made my own appraisal. Here are the major problems people seem to have had with Marc Webb's "Amazing Spider-Man", along with my responses.

1. The reboot was too soon.

This more or less depends on your point of view. True, the last Spidey movie was in 2007, a mere five years ago - more than long enough to warrant another Spider-Man film; not exactly long enough to call for a complete reboot. On the other hand, I think a lot of people would agree that it's been more like eight years since the last GOOD Spider-Man film. I loved Raimi's work with the character, though I do criticize him on some minor points. But in the end, he really dropped the ball with Spider-Man 3, running a lot of good characters into the ground and painting himself into a corner with two hours of very messy plotting. In the end, whether a reboot was necessary per se is a matter of personal preference. But even if you think it wasn't necessary, is it fair to write off the new movie completely as a result? I don't believe it is.

2. We've heard it all before.

Yes and no. This is another interpretation of Spider-Man's origin story. But it's very different from Raimi's first Spider-Man film. More importantly, it's a well-done interpretation. At the heart of this "origin story" is Peter Parker's development from a somewhat geeky, trouble-making teen into a true hero. This transition happened far more quickly in Raimi's first movie, mainly because Maguire's Peter had a more strongly-developed moral compass to begin with. Neither version is objectively inferior in my opinion, but I do have a personal preference for the deep character drama achieved by Webb. The point is, yes, this is the spider-bite story again, but it's a good spider-bite story.

3. The hype about "secrets being revealed" was a big lie.

Yes, it was. This is most definitely not "the untold story". Significant-sounding lines from the trailers such as "Do you think what happened to you was an accident?" and "If you want the truth about your parents, Peter, then come and get it" didn't even feature, which I'll admit kind of annoyed me. That amounts to false advertising in my opinion. I was very happy with what I got, but it wasn't what I was promised. The thing is, there is some big mystery going on in this movie with Peter's parents. However, their story doesn't feature very heavily in this first movie. The elements of it that do were given away in the trailers. So don't bother watching this solely to find out more about Richard and Mary Parker. Their story will have to wait until the sequel.

4. The villain was weak.

My main problem with this film's take on Dr. Curtis Connors was that it diverged so heavily from the comics. The Connors I remember was an intriguing villain because he was a father and a husband who transformed himself into a monster in a quest for healing. Billy Connors and his mom aren't around here. Instead there's a bachelor, British-accented Connors who frequently runs the risk of going boldly where so many villains have gone before. Fortunately, Rhys Ifans' performance is good enough to prevent this happening most of the time. Connors' motivation makes sense overall, though little time is given to truly flesh it out. Perhaps if his mysterious connections to Norman Osborn had been explored in greater detail, he would have been more memorable.

5. The Lizard's design was flawed.

Most people who didn't care for the Lizard's look seem to describe it as "too human". The face certainly is. It wasn't really that scary. I've seen alternate designs which the production team ultimately abandoned which I think would have been a lot better. So basically I would agree with this criticism, but for me it was a minor quibble.

6. It had too much teenage angst and Twilight-esque drama.

Actually, it had none. The teenage interactions were more mature than I'm used to seeing in film or TV, with even Flash Thompson evolving from a typical bully into a likable character over time. There are a few moments of stereotypical rebellion from Peter, but they lead rapidly into the tragic events that change him, so they're quickly forgotten. Despite the early publicity saying that this movie would be "darker", I don't think I'd describe it that way. It's a little less cheesy and a little more gritty in parts, but there are enough moments of clever humor to give the viewer a break from the gradually building tension.

The Amazing Spider-Man does have flaws. But in my opinion, its good points are so good that they cancel out the missteps. Andrew Garfield brings the wisecracking, geeky, sometimes mischievous Peter Parker from the original comics to life better than anyone I've seen (or heard, in animation) thus far. He nails the sense of humor that was frequently lacking from Maguire's Spidey. I had my doubts about Emma Stone as Gwen, but her acting was superb as well. She and Garfield have great chemistry on screen, which bodes well for the future. Really all the main cast was terrific, but I must make a special mention of Dennis Leary's Captain Stacy. He truly did a fantastic job. The special effects in regard to Spider-Man's web-slinging and other stunts were breathtaking, and clever cinematography draws the audience into the action effortlessly. The music was forgettable for the most part, but served its purpose in the more dramatic scenes (much like the soundtrack to The Avengers).

In short, watching this movie was a delight for me as a long-time Spider-Fan, even with the memory of Raimi's better efforts fresh in my mind, and I'm very much looking forward to the sequel (teased at the end of this movie by an intriguing mid-credits scene). Worth buying, worth watching, and worth re-watching. It's a fun, engaging superhero film, and deserves to be judged on its own merits, which are considerable. Please don't let the unfair amount of negativity surrounding this movie scare you away from it. If you give it a chance, you won't be sorry.
5454 comments| 485 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2012
After watching the first five minutes of The Amazing Spiderman, I knew I was gonna like it; after the first hour (which includes a lot of exposition without being tedious) I actually preferred this one to the Raimi versions mainly cuz I think it possesses an intensity and believability that the previous films lacked.

Marvel seems to be producing more mature, rebooted versions of all their super-hero series and I actually prefer this variation on the Spider Man story as well, especially the disappearance of the pointless Mary Jane obsession (which always made me respect Spidey a little less). I suspect that a more scientifically savvy audience appreciates an ever evolving origins story and I also enjoyed the initial dealing-with-new-superpowers interlude which was very amusing and again just seemed a much more realistic reaction from Peter Parker to his new abilities. Exceptional performances for Peter and Gwen are what truly make this production stand out from every other action-packed big-budget flick out there, not to mention a truly scary and menacing super-villain causing some sequences to play a little like a horror film. The tragic loss of his uncle is intensely emotional making the motivation for becoming a vigilante seem more credible, while the use of fantasy tech to supplement his powers added to this as well. love Martin Sheen as uncle Ben, never been much of a Sally Fields fan but apparently the producers were looking for star power to offset the use of mostly unknowns in the starring roles (which I think was a stroke of brilliance by the way).

The FX action sequences are seamless, gorgeous, captivating and again convincing (hitting on this alot I know but I think it's an essential factor). It's the details that make the difference, like while on the job at dizzying heights getting a call on his cell from aunt May reminding him to pick up eggs on his way home. The wise-cracking Spidey is not only back but actually funny with flawless comedic timing throughout and the gratuitous Stan Lee cameo was priceless. This is a new Spider-man, a better one, one whom you will be emotionally invested in by the dramatic ending which brilliantly wraps up an all-around excellent, excellent film! :o)
on May 3, 2014
My 9 year old is into Spider-Man, so he wanted to buy this movie on amazon, so I opted for this package and it worked fine. They sent us an email with a code and I went online to schedule us to see Spider-Man 2 (I still had to pay $6 - fandango charges a $2.50 handling fee) We saw Spider-Man 2 today and it was pretty good! We liked it better than the first one. I guess we also get $5 off Spider-Man 2 when it comes into amazon prime, which is good cuz we'll probably get it. REALLY good CGI effects!
on July 15, 2016
I have never found Spider-Man to be a very appealing character. He seems to be someone that I think everyone except for me can relate to for various reasons. Peter Parker has always been a timid, shy, smart teenager and later he would grow into a very capable and relatable character. Sam Raimi’s trilogy focused too much on Spider-Man as a sort of “everyman” character. However, Marc Webb’s reboot presents a different version of Spider-Man, a version that I personally prefer. The Amazing Spider-Man follows Peter Parker as a high schooler and the struggles and concerns surrounding the life of a teenager. To be fair, Spider-Man was presented as a teenager and works best, to me, in the confines of a young adult growing into the person that he is meant to become. While he is touring the laboratories at Oscorp Industries, Peter is bitten by a radioactive spider which endows him with super human abilities. When a traumatic event occurs in his life, Peter comes to the realization that he has to use his gifts to help others. Many of the movie’s best moments come from the different departures from some of the source material and the movies and cartoons that proceeded it. The Amazing Spider-Man takes inspiration from the Ultimate Spider-Man series which in part explains many of these departures. To begin with the Good Things that the movie presents. The story is very good as an origin story and it presents many things in a different light. Although the main villain’s goals are very murky and questionable, overall the movie has a very compelling story. James Horner’s musical score is very good. Probably not as iconic as Danny Elfman’s from the previous Spider-Man trilogy, but Horner really presents the majesty and playfulness of Spider-Man. In the comics, there is a great deal of mystery surrounding Peter Parker’s childhood and his parent’s death. This movie does a fantastic job of presenting this mystery and gradually contributing to it in the movie, while not giving so much away, this could be seen as an obvious attempt to set up sequels, which is or was a good idea. As I mentioned before, the high school setting for the movie was a great idea and Marc Webb did an amazing job bringing it to film. Andrew Garfield was a great actor to be cast as the young Peter Parker, he does a great job portraying the character from the script…..but does he do a great job portraying the Peter Parker from the comics? Maybe not, but that’s not his fault. Emma Stone is also great as Peter’s love interest, Gwen Stacy. Both of them have great scenes together and really work well with one another, this can be seen in almost all of their scenes, but of course the question persists do they accurately portray the Gwen and Peter from the comics? Probably not, but as I said before, they do a great job portraying the film characters of Peter and Gwen. I enjoyed the presentation of Oscorp Industries headed by the reclusive and ill Norman Osborn, as a mysterious corporation that engages in very worrisome and probably illegal activities involving science. I enjoy that specific presentation of Oscorp, I think a very similar version was presented in an animated television show Spectacular Spider-Man, which was a very good show. Webb presents an arguably accurate depiction of the classical nature of Spider-Man’s powers and the classical web shooters instead of an organic one…..which is kind of weird and creepy. How Webb explores these powers and Peter’s understanding of them is fun and entertaining as well. I am not very familiar with Denis Leary’s performances in other movies, but Leary in this movie portrays a very excellent foil for Spider-Man (as a public figure) in Captain George Stacy, Gwen’s father who is vehemently anti Spider-Man. The movie isn’t without it’s fair share of problems as well. The characterization of Peter is off, he’s quirky, full of himself, and too much like the figure he would later become as a man and not enough like the silent, genius, teenager who is struggling to find himself. He is presented as that “everyman” who takes up for the little guy, a notion and ideal that Peter comes to embrace gradually and isn’t receptive to it initially. Spider-Man’s suit is a point of contention for me as it is very dark and odd looking and doesn’t look like the colorful spandex that we usually see the character wearing. Due to the nature of a reboot, somethings are going to be represented but they aren’t adequately used in a different way in this reboot, particularly Uncle Ben and Aunt May. It’s too much of the “been there, done that” mentality that the writers and Marc Webb really didn’t seem to keen on addressing again for whatever reason. Spider-Man’s enemy in this movie is The Lizard, but if you were to look at him in the film you would have a hard time telling that he is in fact a lizard. The design and the characterization of the Lizard and his alter ego isn’t up to snuff with other comic book villains that we’ve seen before. Lastly, there is a somewhat annoying tendency to use CGI and visual effects in scenes that don’t require CGI, subway trains, New York skyline, Oscorp Tower, etc. Overall the movie is very enjoyable on its own right. But is it a truly accurate presentation of the Spider-Man we see in the comics. No. But it is still a very enjoyable movie.
on December 16, 2012
Director Marc Webb (500 Says of Summer) brings new life to Marvel Comics' wall-crawling hero in the fun-filled superhero adventure The Amazing Spider-Man. Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) is a nerdy high school student and social outcast who attempts to discover the truth behind his parents disappearance when he was young, but a strange twist of fate leads him to the life as New York City's friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Parker will need all his special skills and courage to stop his father's former partner, research scientist Curt Connors (Rhys Ifans), who has developed a revolutionary regeneration serum that transforms him into a monstrous 9-foot tall reptile. As a reboot of the popular film franchise, The Amazing Spider-Man preserves many of the key elements of the previous Sam Raimi films, but Marc Webb adds some of his own creativity to the mix. Despite its darker tone, the film features some amusingly lighthearted and comedic moments, impressive visual effects and rousing excitement. The Amazing Spider-Man also stars Emma Stone, Denis Leary, Martin Sheen and Sally Field.

The Blu-Ray release of The Amazing Spider-Man is certainly top-notch. The superhero adventure is presented in its theatrical 2.35:1 format. Its High Definition digital transfer is quite incredible with stunning detail y rich colors. Its 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio is also remarkable. The Blu-Ray features a feature-length audio commentary track with director Marc Webb and producers Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, over 16 minutes of deleted scenes, storyboards, animated sequences, an interactive picture gallery, behind-the-scene footage, and the seven-part documentary Rite of Passage: The Amazing Spider-Man Reborn. Overall, The Amazing Spider-Man scores a "B+".
With this being the forth though technically rebooted movie of Spider-Man all I can say is while the actor and actress who play the lead roles were very good overall it wasn't as big as when the first Spider-Man movie came out. While it's good with this one as we get to see the early years of Peter Parker and his teens as well as a somewhat new look at the start of his super hero career it didn't really leave me with the excitement I got with the first Spider-Man with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst,though that's probably with all the slew of the recent Super hero movies that have come out since then as well.The actions and effects are top notch and some of the witty comeback one liners from the new Spider-Man fit with the comic book character too so if you already have the previous Spider-Man movies then this is a must have as well for you to enjoy too.
on April 20, 2016
I surprisingly like this film. After the bad blood of Spider-Man 3, I wondered if a new Spider-Man was a good idea, especially after the POV teaser. However seeing the Lizard in the film and George Stacy being brought in, I was luke warm to it. Then I saw it and while I don't love it by any means, This was a great new take on the story and in some ways is more true than the original ones I grew up with. If you combine aspects of this film with some of the dynamics of the Sam Raimi classic, you'd get a good film.
on March 28, 2014
Enjoyed the movie. It's a little too quick to reboot the franchise this quick, but what's done is done. I was not impressed by Andrew Garfield's acting, but I wasn't a big fan of Tobey Maguire either. I watched the film for the escape of it, with its interesting story and great special effects.
I know we are not reviewing shipping in these reviews, but I think people should be aware when there are problems with the product so they won't get stuck like I did. I ordered The Amazing Spider-Man (Three-Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy) and the outside slip cover that covers the interior case said just that. Well I bought this as a gift so it was not opened until well after the 30 day return window. When it was opened, the inside case was labeled Blu-Ray + DVD. No Ultraviolet mentioned on the interior case, so of course there was no code to activate the Ultraviolet. Someone must have taken the Blu-Ray / DVD +Ultraviolet case out of the slip cover and placed a Blu-Ray + DVD case in it instead. I'm not a big fan of the UltraViolet system, so I wasn't too broke up about it, but I do like to get what is advertised. If the Ultraviolet is important to you, slip the case out of the cover and make sure you got the right version.
on June 5, 2016
Fairly good 3D optics but could have been more 3D special effects, still this movie works well in the 3D version and is worth the 3D price. The movie it self is very entertaining and I enjoy watching it. The picture and sound quality is excellent, I have to say it gets very confusing when you are trying to buy a Spiderman movie this one has the Lizard guy in it.
on April 16, 2014
I honestly was a little surprised when they remade Spiderman so "soon." It was a good remake, but not as thrilling as I thought it would be. The graphics were great, I was happy to see the new villian, but it just didn't excite me as much as I thought it would.