Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 20, 2016
I surprisingly like this film. After the bad blood of Spider-Man 3, I wondered if a new Spider-Man was a good idea, especially after the POV teaser. However seeing the Lizard in the film and George Stacy being brought in, I was luke warm to it. Then I saw it and while I don't love it by any means, This was a great new take on the story and in some ways is more true than the original ones I grew up with. If you combine aspects of this film with some of the dynamics of the Sam Raimi classic, you'd get a good film.
Enthusiast: DC Comicson November 28, 2012
Ugh, this is such a hard movie to review.

While I was watching this on a theater, I was loving it. I was cheering and laughing, I was excited and inmersed. But, after I left the theater, I felt empty. I felt as if the movie didn't make an impact on me. I didn't think it was a bad film, it just wasn't a memorable one.

I really liked Raimi's films, even the third one (which I feel is unjustly treated), and, for better or worse, those movies were memorable. There are scenes in them I always keep on my mind, and on my heart. Sure, they were purposely cheesy, sometimes unnervingly, but they were lovable and entertaining and they felt true to the characters. I was mad at them ending for a reboot made for the wrong reasons, but after a while I kept an open mind and accepted it.

Now, let's talk about this film. The actors are, for the most part, well chosen. The obvious issue comes from Garfield. He's a great actor, yes, but in some scenes you can really tell he's three decades old, which sort of kills the mood. Emma Stone is as good and adorable as always as Gwen. Martin Sheen plays the perfect uncle Ben. He doesn't say "With great power comes great responsibility", but then again, neither did he in the original comic. Rhys Ifans makes an OK Dr. Connors, but the script has problems he can't solve. Sally Fields is wasted as Aunt May, she's almost an afterthought, since you barely see her. Denis Leary as Captain Stacy is one of the highlights, as he has good character motives and he's quite the badass.

The costume designs are hit and miss. I'm not a fan of Spidey's costume for the same reason I wasn't a fan of the costume in Raimi's films: it's too pretty. It's supposed to be handmade by a teenager, it shouldn't look that great. But I suppose that's a matter of personal preference. I'm not a fan of the silver lines either. Alex Ross makes a fantastic rendition of the homemade costume in Marvels, and it makes Spidey look more heroic. Anyway, The Lizard... well, that's a problem. I understand the choice of not giving him a muzzle, as it goes well with his first appereance in the comics, but the eyes... they're too human. I understand what they were going for, but there's no reason to humanize a monster that regularly turns back into a human. That being said, the skin and its wrinkles are wonderfully designed.

The special effects are great. They're quite better than in the original trilogy, and while you can easily tell the Lizard is CGI, most of the time the CGI Spidey is unnoticeable from the real one, and the same goes for CGI objects. I didn't care for the 3D in theaters and I didn't purchase the 3D Blu Ray, so I don't know how it looks on the disc, but I don't think it will look any better. Not that I think it would improve the movie at all.

The script is the real foe here. The movie is too obvious, as if the writers thought the audience would be too stupid. There's also the token guy who tries too hard to be hated by the audience, the lack of a good introduction for Spidey, the characters being too dumb to realize the obvious truth about the others, the lack of responsibility from Spidey's part (even though that's supposed to be his main theme), the fact that they take absolutely no advantage of the mechanical web-shooters (seriously, infinite webbing), the fact that Dr. Connors' family is nowhere to be seen (despite that being a very important part of his character) and he behaves too much like the Green Goblin, and all that about "The untold story" remaining untold throughout the entire film. And then there's the scene with the cranes... That is wrong for so many reasons.

That being said, this movie does handle a couple of things better. The character of Flash Thompson is very well handled and actually matures. The relationship between Peter and Gwen is great. Spidey actually jokes this time. Weirdly enough, though, the opinions of Gwen and George Stacy about Spidey are inverted from the ones in the comics. That's not a complaint, it's just... weird. And this is probably the best Stan Lee cameo to date.

Why the 4 stars review? As I said before, I don't think it's a bad film. It's entertaining and engaging, it just won't leave a mark on you.

About the Blu Ray: The quality is fantastic, both in video and audio. I haven't seen all the extras yet, but the ones I've watched are quite interesting. There are a bunch of conceptual art and models for Spider-Man and The Lizard. Some deleted scenes, including one in which post-injection Dr. Connors talks to his son Billy (why was this deleted?) and some details about how some scenes were filmed, which will surprise you when they show you how some things you believed to be real were actually CGI.

As an aside, this movie comes with a spanish (latin american) dub audio track, despite the fact that the Amazon page doesn't mention it.
With this being the forth though technically rebooted movie of Spider-Man all I can say is while the actor and actress who play the lead roles were very good overall it wasn't as big as when the first Spider-Man movie came out. While it's good with this one as we get to see the early years of Peter Parker and his teens as well as a somewhat new look at the start of his super hero career it didn't really leave me with the excitement I got with the first Spider-Man with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst,though that's probably with all the slew of the recent Super hero movies that have come out since then as well.The actions and effects are top notch and some of the witty comeback one liners from the new Spider-Man fit with the comic book character too so if you already have the previous Spider-Man movies then this is a must have as well for you to enjoy too.
on December 2, 2012
This is a well crafted movie with a solid plot, interesting technology and likeable characters. I don't entirely understand why they keep re-making superhero movies every year, however, I will say that I like this Spiderman better than the other one and I would watch the next one.

There are just some clichés about super heros that might be impossible to change.

1. They always need some sort of monster to fight in the end because humans are just too weak for them.
2. The cops will be against him at first.
3. There will be a young woman involved that he won't be allowed to be with.
4. And it's a re-boot, so a lot of things are going to be a repeat.

So if you can tolerate the cliches and like super heros this movie is for you.

I liked Gwen (the young lady) and I thought they would work well as a team. She was involved in the plot and was key in preventing a disaster. Then I was frustrated that he couldn't be with her in the end, but there was a hint that he might. I also thought Peter held out too long as far as telling his long suffering mother that he was Spiderman. In fact, he never said it, but she had to come to that conclusion on her own. So at times Peter saw people suffering because he wouldn't tell them the truth and he just wouldn't speak. This was a bit frustrating.

Overall, I liked the characters and felt the strength of the movie was the detail they went into about how Peter became Spiderman.
on December 5, 2012
I always enjoyed the first two Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies. The third film had a lot to live up to with great hype, but while it made the money it failed to please a lot of fans (myself included). The way that movie ended it would seem hard to continue an entertaining enough story, and I doubt many would care to see where it. So, probably to hold onto the rights of this money making franchise, Sony Pictures decided to reboot Spider-Man and try again. Not a bad thing in my book.

In a nutshell I liked this new movie more than the last, but I'm unsure if it was better than the original trilogies first two films. I feel there's a lot I liked and equally some things not so much.

Peter Parker seems more like an actual "today's nerd" high school student genius (making webshooters) rather than a thirty-something year old pretending to be young (sorry Toby you'd be more the later years Spidey). I really liked that we get Gwen Stacy (played by the lovely Emma Stone) before MJ in Peters life. I also found using his parents an interesting sub-plot, and something worth exploring. Finally we get to see Doc Connors turn into The Lizard, and maybe that's worth the reboot right there.

Whats not so hot is there's time I felt the story seemed rush or missing scenes--something, I don't know what! The musical score, I did not enjoy like how I do in other superhero films. In fact the score during the fight scene with The Lizard in the high school felt out of place, as if the music was meant for another scene. It took me out of the scene, a theatrical "no no." The Lizard looked more like Killer Croc from Batman than from Spider-Man. Not entirely a bad design, but too human perhaps in the face. Spidey, hang up that cell phone and leave your mask on! Studio's need to get a grip with superheroes and masks already. I actually think its the biggest downer of this film. Leave. Your. Mask. On!!! The CG that Sony studios use is kind of cartoon-ish compared to other films which use heavy CG in my book.

I could probably go on with likes and dislikes, but its important to remember that overall I enjoyed it enough to buy the BD and curious what lies ahead in the sequels.

Visually the blu-ray looks pretty stunning. I can't comment on the 3D quality since I missed out on the last sale of the combo that included it, and I guess that's fine by me. Surround sound is equally pleasing. Another film you'll want to play as loud to theater level as you can!
on December 12, 2012
I avoided this Spiderman because of the reviews and the actor that plays Spiderman. He just seems like someone that should not be playing Spiderman. However, after watching it, I feel it is the best Spiderman so far.

The special effects are very good. The villain, in my opinion, looked much more believable than the other Spidermans. The actor that played Spidy, grew on me(some)by the end of the movie. Sally Field, Martin Sheen and Dennis Leary gave the best performances.

There were several scenes that I really disliked and felt should not have been in the movie but they were brief and with minimal/moderate irritation. To me, the other Spiderman movies had a campy type feeling to them and this one seems to have too much goofiness. Goofiness meaning Spiderman acting stupid, teasing villains, making snappy remarks during fight scenes, etc.

Anyway, it was much better than I expected. 4 stars means I like it so one star deducted for the above reasons and for Spiderman making a promise to the dying man at the end of the movie then breaking the promise.
on December 16, 2014
The Amazing Spider-Man introduces a very compelling chemistry between Andrew Garfield's adorkable Peter Parker and Emma Stone's blonde-ambitious Gwen Stacey. Their relationship anchors an otherwise just-tolerable film that obviously is meant to please visually rather than produce a credible story. None of that matters, because the visuals are very arresting, and the soundtrack plays in perfect emotional time to the rapid-fire scenes. Overly coincidental plot devices are a plenty (like a dozen perfectly positioned construction cranes that just happen to have operators living within about a 100-foot radius), but the humor and flirtations between the leads make this a quality comic-schlock event.
on June 8, 2016
Not a lot of depth in the 3D.
on June 7, 2014
I ordered the movie pack because I wanted to see the first movie in the series before seeing the second which is currently in the theater. I didn't check my email for the Fandango promo code for over a month and couldn't find the email. I have no idea if I didn't receive the email or if I inadvertently deleted it. I contacted Amazon customer support via the "chat" option. I didn't really expect to be able to resolve my problem especially considering that it had been over a month. Much to my surprise, the customer service representatives ( Vigneshwaran and Kumar) were able to provide me with my promo code in less than five minutes. Amazon did a great job all the way around!
on December 12, 2013
The thing that got me about this movie (and yes, flaws and all, I consider it to be better than the first Raimi/McGuire/Dunst Spider-Man) was how perfectly they capture Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy's romance. These two characters seemed very real (within the context of the movie), and Andrew Garfield's portrayal of Peter/Spider-Man is infectious in his giddiness and High-School exuberance. I am not a fan of Emma Stone, but she definitely batted Gwen Stacy's portrayal out of the park. Add to this Dennis Leary as Captain Stacy, Rhys Ifans as The Lizard, and Sally Field as Aunt May, and you have an incredibly winning combination.

SPOILER ALERT - Sure, they did not follow the original storyline to a "T" (Spoiler Alert!!!) Cap Stacy doesn't have his final battle with the Lizard (it was Doc Octopus), Peter catches the "Burglar" (guy who robbed the convenience store) almost immediately, and as to flaws, there is NO way Peter could have entered such a secure environment as Oscorp as easy as he did without getting arrested. But those are nit-picks, and most people that didn't follow comic books as children will not even notice.

To this day (taking out some of Peter's crying) I consider Spider-Man 2 the best Spider-Man movie that has been done to date. Still, as the first movie in a new series, Amazing Spider-Man was overall a better retelling of the iconic story, and the Andrew Garfiled / Emma Stone portrayal of the main characters really go a long way to make it so. I can't wait for the sequel!