YED Reading Is Fundamental Wish List Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Beauty & Grooming Book House Cleaning GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Oscar Central in Movies & TV Shop Now STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$12.99

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 41 reviews
This started out well and hooked me, but are folks in rural America so bored they'll shoot at others in their community and allow themselves to be shot at just to feel alive?

And is law enforcement so incompetent in rural America that people disappear, never to be heard from again and no one investigates?

The opening scene where a professor hands back a creative writing paper and the student pulls a gun, perhaps not thrilled with his grade, is every instructor's nightmare, but the rest of the book went downhill for this reader. Still I have to give the author credit: I bought the book and I read it, although I skimmed some of the hard-to-take death and destruction in the end.

Maybe the author is onto a unique American quality: how much we love guns, because this novel is a catalogue of them.
on July 16, 2013
Very weird although the truth of life can be equally as weird. Not my cup of tea----too much violence. Really didn't identify with the characters at all
on November 25, 2016
It's a good book that didn't go where I expected. It twisted well and left me thinking. I couldn't put it down for the last hundred pages.
on June 14, 2013
The title caught my attention and it absolutely lived up to its promise. The pseudo-sacrilegious tone actually makes a statement about faith, about icons, about human nature. It makes one think; what is religion really? Daily news reports graphically portray the twisted variants that come from religious fervor. Gun Church puts a name and a face to the oldest questions about man's existence and still manages to provide food for thought. Kudos to the author for not allowing the plot to become so bogged down in detail that the human element gets lost. This is a fast moving storyline that never loses focus on the end. The double plot structure is reminiscent of Bertie Daugherty in The Snake Stone. I could not put either one down!
on April 8, 2014
I found this book to be interesting. The story is quite unique and I found the characters interesting to follow. The story in general is weird / bizarre, but I didn't come away from it disappointed.
on July 30, 2013
This book drags at times, but is a very good story. The author tries to make the reader think in order to anticipate the characters' next moves.
on December 2, 2012
Good story,but a bit convoluted. Characters well done. Too much sex. Nice reflections on the cocaine fueled eighties. Good for mystery readers.
on June 9, 2013
A quick read but very contrived. It was very hard to wrap yur head around a small town kid thinking up this plot.