Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM March Birthstone Shop Popular Services girlss6 tgirlss6 girlss6  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 1,549 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,878 reviews
on October 26, 2014
This book fell just a bit short of what I have come to expect from Chicken Soup books. Usually reading them feels like a precious balm or holy oil is anointing my head, and the tears just run down my face and sometimes I sob and I just can't believe that a mere book can move me so deeply. So I really felt that a book entitled Grieving and Recovery would result in a huge catharsis for me, that I'd cry endlessly and feel united with the writers and their departed loved ones.

However, most of these stories, in my opinion, were too close to earth and too far from heaven to stir me. Many of the writers are believers and so they do speak of a better place or an afterlife. Some had miracles to report--butterfly sightings, a beautiful heron soaring at the very moment of a friend's passing. But then there were many stories which were more focused on interests the departed had on this earth--a woman who cooked, a man who golfed--and so the stories would center on a recipe box or golf clubs that brought comfort to the bereaved. I'm truly happy that they were able to receive comfort from these simple objects left behind by their loved ones, but story after story was leaving me dry-eyed. They were pleasant stories, but I wanted more chicken soup! It happens that I just finished the Chicken Soup dog stories which were so moving that they blessed me over and over. I was a teary mess by the final page of that book. So maybe the comparison is just too great.

Many of these stories show how the writers achieved some level of peace, but there was nothing special in the story that would help a reader who might be grieving. Other stories do show by example how to achieve peace whether it be by eventually donating the loved one's belongings to needy people, speaking to groups about drunk driving, talking or writing to the loved one as though he/she were still alive, or simply learning to let go and entrust that person to the hands of the Lord.

Perhaps if I read this book before reading so many Chicken Soup books about messages from heaven, miracles, answered prayers, and those amazing dogs, I would have liked it better. Obviously, death isn't always pretty. Many times it's sudden and there is no time for goodbyes or words of endearment. Dying people don't always have meaningful final words. I think some of these writers were showing that the meaning of life and love is sometimes in the simple everyday acts of life. As long as you're not expecting too many heavenly events in this book, I think you'll be happy with it. And you may cry a lot more than I did. I tend to need more of the divine, I guess, in order to feel really uplifted. In fact, I was undecided between three and four stars but decided to go with four because, if nothing else, the stories are well-written and heartfelt.
on January 26, 2012
I purchased this book because I was diagnosed with cancer back in 2007. At the time, I was scared and unsure of what my future would hold. I spent my year of treatments wondering if I would ever make it to college, find a nice guy, get married, and have kids. Before my diagnosis, none of that was important, but once there was a chance that I would never experience those things, they became important.

It wasn't until after I had finished my treatments that I learned of this book. What some people don't realize about cancer is that the battle isn't over even if the treatments have stopped. You have to put yourself back into a society that may or may not understand the hardships that you have had to face. Sometimes, like with my cancer, you have a constant reminder that will never disappear. Each time you look into the mirror, you see the scars and the way you body has been forced to change in order to stop that dreaded disease.

Then you have to go out every day and watch as other people react to those scars or disfigurements. They want to ask, but they don't. You get the looks of sorrow and/or pity. The looks you don't want to see but can't help but to notice. It was hard for me to ignore those looks, no matter how hard I tried. I was about ready to give up until I saw this book.

I did not hesitate to order it and I'm so glad that I got it. Seeing and reading to other people's stories has really helped me with my recovery. I still have problems when it comes to certain things, but I'm much better. This book has many stories that deserve to be heard, shared, and understood. Whether you have had cancer, know someone who has, or not, it is worth the time and money to read it. I just hope it is as helpful to you as it was for me.
on June 24, 2015
If you need comfort, inspiration, and strength, this is the book for you. It is completely filled with angel stories, all to give you strength. It has none of the author's comments or opinions, or quotes or anything extra found in so many other "angel books".

What it does contain is chapters, some short, some long, all to give the reader the extra courage he or she may need, knowing that a power greater than oneself is watching and everything happens for a reason, something we, as humans, all have trouble grasping sometimes. This book is a real winner. You'll be glad you read it!
on August 7, 2016
My thirteen-year-old daughter was having some bad attitude problems. She was very ungrateful, and most the things that came out of her mouth were angry. So when I finally had enough I decided to come up with a different kind of punishment. I would teach her different habits and force her if needed to remember all the reason she has to be grateful. When I came across this book I was thrilled. A Christian book on her level with inspiring stories. It was exactly what I needed. She read some of these stories alone, but every night we read a few together. Most of the stories are very short, I think some of the longest were about 7 pages, but usually they were two or three. We laughed, we cried, we bonded, we learned lots of things and saw things for many different points of view. Very great uplifting book about how God can turn anything around. And how you can always turn to him no matter how dark things look. I recommend this book to everyone!!!!
on January 1, 2014
Think I would have missed something if this book only contained 50 or 60! As it is, I am always hoping for just one more before I hit the bios page. This book is a keeper. I now have about 150 Chicken Soup books. If you like reading POSITIVE and don't like depressing reads, I strongly recommend this book. So many teachers are using them in classrooms that you need not worry about X-rated content. Just a real shame that Amazon only allows five stars.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 4, 2013
As someone who believes in miracles, (yet never witnessed one) I wanted to read a book that proclaimed miracles. The miracles come in a variety of categories. Some are really big wondrous miracles and some are small day to day miracles. I found the book very encouraging in that miracles can happen to anyone, and we should never give up praying for one or praying miracles for others. I liked that the stories were short, perhaps too short in some cases, but still quite engrossing and readable. Some will bring tears to your eyes, others will amaze you, and still others that will make you smile.

I recommend this book to those who need a spark kindled in their faith. My pilot light is lit after reading this book.

kone
"Angels Among Us" is one of the best books I've ever read and I've read thousands of books over the past 15 years. This book is filled with amazing stories of angelic interventions. Just when people needed an angel most one appeared. What I loved most was the poignant moments of realization the authors experience.

It is difficult to stop reading the stories because each one is better than the last. Some stories give you chills and some make you feel like you are close to tears as they are so beautiful. These are very short stories (two to three pages) but they have a big impact. Some of the stories will awaken your sense of wonder.

By reading this book you will realize that you are protected and loved. Each story is just long enough to tell the complete story but short enough to keep your full attention. You may especially be amazed by the stories of animal angels. There are also some stories of ghosts.

You couldn't make up these stories even if you tried. As someone who believes in angels I must say I could relate to the stories. An angel once saved me from drowning as a child at a beach in Africa so I believe.

~The Rebecca Review
on September 17, 2015
If you are down, or have health issues, family problems, or any other situation of that nature, this book will lift and inspire you. While it won't eradicate all troubles, it demonstrates how individuals through prayer and divine intervention saw the light and had a profound effect in their lives.

While some of the "Chicken Soup" books I didn't care for; this one is exceptional. It is a must read for a dose of good old fashioned faith!

on May 16, 2014
Just finished this book. As I also just recently lost a loved one, this book was timely. As a matter of fact, the very night that I left the memorial service, I had came home and the very next story I read was exactly what I needed to read in that moment. Perfect timing in deed. Stories in this book were so comforting, encouraging and uplifting. I would highly recommend this book. It is so very pleasent to read these stories of God watching over us. He really does care about us, His children.
on March 18, 2017
I really enjoy reading this book! I am a cat lover and I'm not really a fan of books but I just love the short stories in the book. I first checked it out from a library then decided to buy a brand new one from amazon. It was great for the price! It's nice to have this book around when I need a laugh. This book will not let you down! I highly recommend if you are looking for funny and cute stories about crazy furballs! :-)