Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on June 8, 2016
SKIP THE 2Disc THEATRICAL EDITION -- BUY THE SPECIAL EDITION OR 3D VERSION INSTEAD

1. A special edition including 20 minutes of additional footage was released just months after Theatrical Edition. (But fans weren't told until it was too late)
2. No special features in 2 disc Theatrical Edition. If you are a fan, of all the discs in your collection this is the one you really want the extra stuff.
3. 3D version also now available, though not in the extended version yet. This movie is considered a reference disc in 3D and the extensive CGI use makes it a great story to be seen in that medium, as are most animated movies. Hopefully a 3D Extended Version will be released soon.

Regarding the multiple releases while holding back on the whole package: The studios are becoming so brazen. Offering bare bones Blu Rays shortly before re-releasing the movie with additional footage was a classless act that kicks dirt in the face of fans. I completely understand the business side of the equation. However, I think we would all like to see them release multiple versions and let fans decide how much they need verses how much to spend. At least release a complete package a year or so on. There still isn't an extended 3D version US general release at the time of my update Dec 2014. The first 3D release was just the theatrical edition, even though the extended footage was already available. It's like pulling teeth to get these studios to release everything fans want in a single package, even down the road. After all the releases we have had, they really owe it to fans to do something for us, rather than themselves. We all understand the business side and multiple releases are no surprise. But seriously, this is somewhat an old movie now! Avatar is a particularly egregious example of this practice.

If 3D doesn't interest you regardless, then you are set with the Avatar Special Edition. That is the one I recommend until the 3D Extended Edition comes out. I originally wrote this article as a one star protest review, but there are so many versions of the movie out now and reviews to all of the versions are linked on Amazon to each release so it's better just to explain what to look for. Other worthy reviews cover both the general plot and the content differences between the standard and extended content. I will leave those aspects to them rather than duplicate it.
0Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 3, 2018
Sorry but the DVD is only usable in the UK and not in the US. I was worried when I saw that the supplier was from the UK and I was correct the dvd would not work in the US. I have applied for a refund and returned the DVD waiting for the return to get to the supplier and I expect Amazon will refund my money.
Just warning be sure the DVDs are from the same country as they are sensitive to the country they are made in. I understand this is to eliminate piracy of DVDs.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 30, 2017
Hadn't caught this flick since the theater almost a decade ago. It not only holds up, its still something for new CGI designers to aspire to. And the story is just as engrossing as you remember. The HD is incredible, and while I usually stream like everyone else these days, having this milestone on a shelf seemed like a no brainer. I also have the BR of 1959's Ben Hur...hadn't seen that classic quite like that since way back in the day.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Great movie. This movie was produced from the start using 2 cameras or 2 perspectives -3D Stereoscopic. MANY so called 3D movies are pseudo 3D. They are 2D movies that have been "enhanced" to make them look 3D. A wonderfully visual movie that is just amazing! It's a great movie in 2D -- it is indescribable in 3D (so I won't try, you will have to see it for yourself)
finally had a chance to watch this movie. Didn't think it was anything I would like. I was amazed how good it was and the 3D was fantastic. Wow
on July 27, 2017
Omg !! I haven't seen this movie yet.i am going to Disney soon and wanted to know what pandora was. I am in love. My skin has goosebumps !!! It was a epic tale of how nature is a part of us. We are one with it. I love it. Can't wait to see the world of pandora !
VINE VOICEon July 28, 2014
Maybe the highest quality of Blu Ray performance ever produced. Everything about the viewing experience is 6 star quality. The color saturation and meticulous details in every scene are spell-binding. If you want to show off your home theater, this is the disc to use. And, if you are lucky enough to have one of the new plasma models this year, so much the better. Plasma and Avatar were made for each other.
on October 14, 2014
Amazing movie. I have to be honest, I was not interested in seeing this movie when it first came out. I thought it was silly how everyone was so about this movie and the graphics. That being said, 5 mins of screen time when it was on HBO made me curious. I wanted to know why, what I was seeing, was happening. Sure enough I watched it, made my family watch it, made my friends watch it, and eventually bought my own copy. This movie was such an experience. The graphics are outstanding, the characters I feel were perfectly cast, but what sold me was the story. It really draws you in and stirs emotion, it really works the gambit of feelings throughout the whole movie. From desperation, to hope, from fear to adventurous, and from complete desolation to uplifting joy of unity. For me a movie that really makes you feel and experience the emotions that are being portrayed or a moment in ones life. That's what makes a great movie. ^_^
on March 27, 2015
Great science fiction movies and one of my favorites! If you think you would like a sci-fi version of Dances with Wolves, then you will enjoy this movie. It raises some important topics that even we can relate to in our world. The visuals are great and you do feel emotionally tied to the characters.
on August 26, 2017
Streamed in order to get context for new Disney Animal Kingdom exhibit. Glad I did, more impact in the rides and Disney Imagined settings. Down a star due to dated film/video technology. Interested in how new sequels will fair in the age of different technologies.