Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

• Brave
  • Customer Reviews

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 4,474 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,245 reviews
on April 15, 2017
Bows, bears (cute and scary) and outrageous Scots! What more could you ask for?

OK seriously. The animation is top notch. The stylized and compelling use of shape and color for the characters, the graceful gesture and action, and the gorgeous scenery are all really what you would expect from Disney in top form. A pleasure to look at.

The story is delightful, funny and light-hearted. I love the premise of a princess fiercely defending her independence and the conflict between freedom and duty that arises.
on January 14, 2013
This movie is clever, funny, exciting, and of a quality rarely seen overall, let alone in animated releases marketed with youths in mind. The only reason I put 4 stars is because this movie was made by Pixar, and this isn't a 5 star Pixar movie. In any other context, yes, 5 stars, no problem. But this movie fails to reach the (extremely high) standards set by Pixar's greatest.

Should you see this movie? Yes. It's brilliantly paced, extremely funny, and has two shining examples of strong female protagonists with both Merida and her mother. Will it make you cry like Up did? Probabally not. Does it take risks with the format of storytelling like Wall-E did? Nope; in fact, the plot is fairly predictable for an adult, though children might be taken by some of the twists. Still, while this isn't Pixar's greatest film, it's likely better than most of the other movies you'll see from 2012, and one of the best animated ones. If you're like me, this came and went at the theaters without catching it. Now's your chance--it really is worth the rental or purchase.
on November 24, 2012
Prior to renting the movie ($1.99 special), I read the reviews to ensure its appropriateness for my 7 year old son. I was also interested in it because a friend had mentioned it touches nicely upon the relationship between a spunky teenager and proper mother - a circumstance in my household.

I must admit the majority of the reviews are spot on and well written. The movie is heart warming, delivers a good message, and is very entertaining. My whole family enjoyed it.

Now, to those who say it was too violent, showed too much skin, and had witchcraft in it, well, too each his own, it didn't bother my 7 year old one bit. Some folks took their toddlers and pre-K aged children to this movie. All I can say is, "What were you thinking?". The movie has a PG rating, not G, so responsible and informed parents shouldn't take pre-K kids, in my opinion, as a general rule.

In closing, a good and enjoyable movie with a heart warming theme, especially for proper mothers with spirited daughters - but leave the toddlers at home unless the rough and tumble Saturday morning cartoons don't bother them.

Tony
on July 11, 2015
You just have to be Brave enough to see it. And maybe cast aside the spears and arrows of critics. Why do people put this movie down as a "girls" story? Or a Disney princess story? Or say "While this isn't one of Pixar's finest.." What malarkey! It is one of Pixar's finest. I wonder if the reviewers have fully grasped the horrible implications of goings-on in this film. They are horrifying indeed.

This is hands-down Pixar's darkest film yet. If it weren't for the comedy this would be a horror story or a story of 10th-century war. Last night, I realized this is a Dark Comedy. Very dark. And not just in terms of theme -- it's visually dark, as well -- which only makes Merida stand out like a bright flame in a dark alley. At the same time, this movie is laden with human touches. But that dark side this movie has can show without notice.

Spoilers ahead. Read at your own risk.

Why is it Pixar's darkest?

Consider this:

1. A 5-ish year old little girl sees a giant, cursed bear attack her and her family. The outcome is grim, and she is implied to have seen it happen.
2. An entire kingdom is laid to ruin, with vivid, visible evidence.. everywhere.. that it was an epic massacre, war, perhaps. Nothing subtle about it.
3. No-holds barred, often fiercely feral combat with hand to hand and with edged weapons, arrows and spears.
4. Choices made often carry severe consequences, for-keeps. No backsies. No reset button.

It is also possibly Pixar's most beautiful film yet. It's not so much an animated cartoon, but an animated Rembrandt painting. It has that glowing quality. While it is dark most of the time - except for Merida's torch-like mane - it glistens with vividness. Nature is rendered with such loving beauty it remains with the viewer long after the stinger at the end of the credits fades.

And the music.. oh my lord, the music on this movie. It can, on its own, bring tears. This film took an Academy Award for sound, and if the viewer has a proper home theater, the result is enough to pull you into the film, put you in the Highlands.

I would like to think as Time, the Ultimate Critic passes, Brave will stand among the Pixar movies people of today consider great.

Myself, I think it already does.
on April 17, 2017
I love Disney movies, absolutely love them. Which is why I was disappointed with myself that it took me so long to finally watch this movie.

Going in my expectations were quite high, even so, I was very pleased with the movie, without the expectations I had I probably would have given this movie 5 stars.
on May 11, 2017
Terrible! I didn't even want to give one star ⭐️ I ordered the Disney movie Brave thru you guys and when I received the movie anxious to watch with my kids it DOES NOT even play at all. I would recommend to anyone to not order thru this company!
on May 20, 2017
Good story.
on April 27, 2017
I needed this quickly because my daughter has to watch it daily and it arrived very fast. Nothing wrong with the disk either which is huge
on December 9, 2012
I was originally skeptical about watching this movie which from the trailer seemed lime a big disappointment after the amazing UP. So I decided to watch it just because, in general I'm a big an of Pixar (cars and cars 2 the exceptions). But from the very beginning I was wowed by the amazing graphics, beautiful directing and story telling and also really surprised by the charming and engaging characters and plot. Its funny and dramatic, well paced leading to an emotional climax and contains messages that should resonate with anyone of any age.

The soundtrack is 90% perfect, with a bit of a disappointing commercial track thrown in there but it solidifies the overall quality of the movie.

Not quite as good as past outings from Pixar such as UP, Finding Memo or Monsters Inc but it rates highly and will not disappoint.
on June 6, 2014
For a Disney movie, this was a good movie. Billy Connoly was an excellent choice for the role of the father, and the lead actress Kelly MacDonald, was very good. It had the gratuitous witch and the magic spells and the willo the wisps, ...Once upon a time...

Very good. Could have been a little longer, a little more deeply developed relationship with the mother and daughter before she changed form. Not sure I agree with the glorification of rebellion in teenagers, but I understand where she was coming from. Perhaps if there had been a bit more respect worked into the antidote, that may have impressed me. Plot was a bit disjointed at times, but eventually came out as expected. Hapilly ever after.