Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 14, 2011
I am left handed and took up knitting at age 45. Although this is not a book geared to left handed knitters I found the many illustrations helpful. (I have learned that knitting takes two hands so it's just as easy to adapt to right handed knitting.) This book is great for learning new skills. It starts with a basic project, then leads from skill to skill with new projects. Begin by learning several different stitch patterns using knit and purl stitches in small 2" square samples, then sew them into soft blocks for Baby. One can learn to increase stitches by making a simple baby washcloth, or how to do short rows by making a felted ball for Baby. There are a few patterns for baby sweaters and a pattern to knit seamless mittens connected together with an I-cord. There are also a couple of patterns for baby hats, blankets, knit bears, and a sweater for Mom. Included in the instructions for a project is a page reference back to the section where the skill was taught. I bought the book to make the sweater on the cover but have also made the "Stay-on Booties" and baby washcloths (dozens of them). I like to give the book as a gift to someone who wants to learn to knit.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on August 27, 2014
I absolutely love this book. It's great for any level of knitter (in my opinion) -- booties, sweaters (and instructions so you don't HAVE to do stripes if you don't want to), blankets, balls and blocks -- it's a great, very usable book.
on November 25, 2005
I first checked this book out from the library and loved so many of the patterns, I bought it online. I am a beginner knitter, and I just finished my first "Baby's First Ball" on page 55. I must say, It was quick and fun once I got the hang of it. I thought it was a very good first project for someone who couldn't remember how to knit & purl, with a little ambition. I did not have a lot of luck with their knitting technique illustrations, so I had to watch a couple videos online and my Mother-in-law helped too. The next time I knit the ball, I'm not going to felt it, and use a soft yarn instead. Another cool thing, is that you can use scraps too. I am going to try knitting a washcloth next. That was why I originally checked out the book (saw it on a craft show). I am tempted to give this book four stars becuause of the basic knitting instructions, but if you are reading this, it means you are also capable of visiting one of the many knitting websites with far better instructions and videos anyway. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for cute, classic baby patterns. Have fun!
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on February 5, 2008
This book has a bunch of really good, basic knitting patterns for babies. The patterns can almost all be dolled up a bit if desired, with different colors or a different stich pattern. But if you like Debbie Bliss, you'll probably really like this book for a little something different. You still have the function and clean lines with these patterns, and they're easy to read and follow for a newer knitter. The best pattern in the book is the STAY ON BOOTIES - I LOVE knitting those! I've made four pairs so far, and they are so much fun and quick to knit after the first bootie. And they actually stay on! Beware, though, if you knit up the sides for 20 garter rows like the pattern calls for, they will look blocky and probably not like you'd imagined. I've taken to knitting only 14 or 16 garter rows (depending on what the bootie looks like at that point) and I like them much better. I've used several different kinds of yarn, and I'm using size 5 dpn because I have an older child than what the pattern calls for. I highly recommend this book, if only for that pattern.
2 helpful votes
on January 14, 2015
I look forward to choosing some knitting projects for my first grandchild. I was interested in nursery toy patterns to make safe, 100% organic cotton toys for a young child. So far, it has been fun being inspired by the patterns, and gathering the materials (organic cotton yarn, and organic cotton stuffing).
on September 14, 2017
Some very cute items with well written instructions.
on April 17, 2008
This is a great beginner book to advanced knitter. The instructions help those with beginner hand knitting skills to master smaller projects and then the projects advance to higher skills. There are projects in this book for every type of knitter. I like the diagrams (measurements) listed clearly. This is a book that if you are a machine knitter that you could figure out how to make these projects on your knitting machine--following the correct guage--you can come out with simliar projects too. I hope to make a few of these projects by hand and machine knitting!
on May 25, 2016
There isn't a dud in the collection. I have had the book for less than a month and have made two of the sweaters...adorable.
on October 26, 2003
This book is fabulous. I managed to teach myself and several others how to knit using this book. Knitting has become a passion for me now. The patterns are great with clear, easy to follow instructions. You will learn everything you ever wanted to know about knitting from this book. A great reference even if you don't knit baby projects (though not all the projects in the book are "baby" projects- a few sweaters for mom and a tote to name a few.)
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on May 12, 2015
Turn to this book again & again, great tips with photos. The patterns are nice.