Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM March Birthstone Shop Popular Services girlss6 tgirlss6 girlss6  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 73 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 108 reviews
on September 7, 2014
Terrible patterns- I am an experienced knitter, and had been looking for sweaters to make for my father and brother in law. The patterns in this book are written in a different manner from every other book I have used in the past eleven trade-off and the sweater I did work up looks nothing like the one in the book, even with a bit of help from the women at my local yarn shop. I feel so strongly about this book that I wouldn't even donate to the library. Two big thumbs down.
on August 12, 2016
I ordered this book because I really like the sweater styles, very simple, clean lines etc. Unfortunately I HATE how the author wrote her instructions. To me, the instructions were confusing and sparse.
on January 29, 2016
Perhaps, if the patterns were well written, an excuse for the blatant sexism the heteronormative depictions of both men and women could be made. However, this is not the case. Rather Mr. Weinstein perpetuates stereotypes and, in an attempt to "help" women knit sweaters for the men in their lives, denies agency to these women by invalidating their opinions and ideas. His sexism extends onto men as well, depicting men as being incapable of change, afraid to wear clothing that are not masculine, and incapable of taking critique. A very disappointing pattern book riddled with repulsive anecdotes that express the author's own fear of women, fear of losing his own masculinity, and fear of a language that he actively takes part in maintaining.
on March 12, 2014
I really wanted patterns that I could knit for my father. Not some stupid reasons behind what men won't wear and why.
If you are looking for a project to knit for the man (or men) in your life, this may be the perfect book. All the patterns are appealing and they are provided in various charted sized from 40" to 60". The patterns are given in different gauges and they all list the amount of yarn needed for completion. All of them are practical and attractive. The patterns are easy to follow and I especially like the feature of varied gauges for each project.

The book starts out with a comparison of what men want vs. what women want. For instance, men like to blend in while women may want to stand out in a crowd. A women will dress up for any occasion but a man will dress up for his wedding and a funeral. Women will skip lunch to afford a new outfit. Men will wear an old outfit to take a woman to lunch. Sound familiar?!

My favorite patterns are The Basic Pullover and Vest, The Raglan-Sleeved Henley, The Thick and Warm Socks, and the Watch Cap. All of these patterns are 'guy patterns'.

I find this book a great resource. It has projects that I want to make and the instructions are easy to follow. I give it 5 stars.

Bonnie Brody 3/25/2010
44 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2012
I'm pretty torn on this book. I bought it because my husband wants one of the sweaters, but I cringe every time I read any of the "funny" parts. I mean, are you kidding me? This is one of the most sexist, clueless books I have opened in a long time. I'm sure it's funny if you buy into stereotypes so crisp a sitcom would drool with envy? The comparisons between men and women are pretty insulting to everyone involved.

On the other hand the patterns are awesome, if a bit tricky to follow. This is not a book for a beginner.

So. Three stars. And I just won't read any of the book parts, I'll stick to the patterns.
on November 8, 2012
I am giving this book only one star because the charts are low-resolution images, not type. Therefore they are not affected by type size manipulation and cannot be copied for printing. Although the book is fun to read, with an entertaining perspective, it is also a pattern book. I am using the Kindle PC version to read it and find that the resolution is so low that it is hard to read the charts. The charts are multi-sized. It would be nice to be able to print them so that they could be marked up to assist with a specific project. I have many digital magazines with crisp images and type, and I can zoom and print page content as needed. I expected the same from this book and I am very disappointed.
on January 10, 2012
I knitted the watch cap in a merino wool. I'm an intermediate knitter, the cap is probably one of the easiest things I've knitted in the last four months. But alas, the pattern seems to be entirely off. It looked like a chef's cap, nice tight rib but then floppy top when you switch to stockinette and decrease. I will try it again but I knitted it with two different wools and both caps came out looking exactly the same. I am now not enthusiastic about knitting the other patterns.
on January 31, 2011
First: I love this book as a knitting book. You get an incredibly wide range of sizes and gauge options for every single pattern and every single pattern is something that I think I would make or make for someone. You could buy just this book and be good as far as knitting for most men would go. The patterns are solid, well written and attractive.

However, I was really disappointed in the heterocentric viewpoint of the author. It is assumed that the reader is a female, knitting for a male. Probably her significant other. While it is true that, in general, most men dislike fussy or elaborate patterns, the author simply assumes that all of these gender biases exist because that's just the way men and women are. I feel like I got a 21st century knitting book with 1950s gender roles stuck in the middle for no good reason. Honestly, if I were a male knitter who bought this book, I would feel completely slighted. As a woman, I personally feel insulted at the condescending tone and sexist assumptions of the author.

A+ for the patterns
F for the tone and attitudes
44 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2012
Just received my printed copy last week. Love it! When I saw the eBook I purchased to view on my iPad as well. The photos and text are clear and sharp. The measurement and stitch charts however, seem to be low resolution scans. Very noticeable, especially when they are tapped to enlarge. That's the only disappointing feature of this ebook.