Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 73 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 108 reviews
on November 15, 2014
Bruce confirms what I have often suspected about men and knits. As a mother of 3 sons and wife to a professor, I can say "amen" to his facts about Knitting for men.

While my girls would wear many of my experiments, the boys would refuse anything even remotely cute or scratchy or tight or loose or hot...

The patterns in the book are just the things real men will wear. I look forward to using them all.
on November 1, 2016
I plan to make at least 4-5 of the patterns in this book. Bruce makes perfect sense about choosing to knit items that will actually get worn/used. The patterns are easy to follow and I like that they are set up so that many different weights of yarn can be used. Love it!!
on December 14, 2016
Classic patterns, beautiful photography and written with a delightful sense of humor. I love this book! It contains adaptable patterns for your gauge and desired size. I have not had an opportunity to make anything in the book yet but I think that my husband would be willing to wear most of the garments in the book.
on October 13, 2012
Just received my printed copy last week. Love it! When I saw the eBook I purchased to view on my iPad as well. The photos and text are clear and sharp. The measurement and stitch charts however, seem to be low resolution scans. Very noticeable, especially when they are tapped to enlarge. That's the only disappointing feature of this ebook.
on July 17, 2016
I knit and know how difficult it is to find patterns I will wear. This is a great​ collection
on February 6, 2017
Basic knitting patterns for items men would wear/use versus what we might want to make for them. Interlaced with "guidance" on how to interpret what they mean versus what they say.
on December 18, 2012
As a male knitter, I can attest to the fact that there are not many good books out there for men's patterns--I think I own all of them. _Knits Men Want_ keeps the designs simple, which is nice if you want to experiment with different stitches or alter the designs slightly. The book does a nice job of covering the basic sweater designs for men (though the mittens, socks, scarf, and hat patterns are so basic they seem like a waste of space in this book). But 6 good sweater designs is better than what most books offer. I've recommended this book to other knitters looking for good, basic patterns for men, and all of them love it. But as much as I like this books, there are three issues I feel I need to mention to anyone interested in buying this book.

The ability to pick the gauge you want is a nice touch, and is especially helpful along with Ann Budd's _Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns_ (which is a must for anyone who wants to make sweaters). I've made the "ski sweater," "raglan-sleeved henley," and the "basic cardigan two ways." I have noticed, however, that while the stitch gauge is adjustable, you do need to pay attention to the row gauge (which is only given in the information about the models pictured in the book). Since the Henley is knitted in the round, the row gauge is important, so I found that this pattern is worked best if you can match the gauge to the one pictured in the book. If you don't want to mess with trying to get the exact row gauge, you may need to make some slight adjustments to the shaping directions. Maggie Righetti's _Sweater Design in Plain English_ is a big help with that. Also, because men aren't shaped like a perfect rectangular box, Righetti's book will help you figure out what to do if you need to adjust for a belly, large biceps, or very broad shoulders (men's bodies are just as complicated as far as shape as women's--yet this never comes up in any book on men's patterns that I've found).

A few reviews have complained about the directions being inaccurate. I haven't found any mistakes (but that might just be the gauges I've used). I have, however, noticed that some of the directions are vague and poorly written. There are a few instances where directions to decrease could be misread (ie: BO 2 stitches next 2 rows 2 times). There were times I misread the directions and had to unknit a few rows and try again. This might just be me, but a friend of mine who borrowed the book to make a project had the same issue. She turned to the Ravelry discussion boards for help. I know of others who were also confused at certain points because of the language of the directions. I would suggest reading through the pattern carefully before you cast-on any stitches and see if everything makes sense. I even to do the math as I read through the pattern and make notes in the margin in pencil. In my experience with making sweaters from patterns, it's best to rewrite the patterns and work through them mentally before wasting time and yarn.

Lastly, just ignore the commentary throughout the book. The "relationship therapy" parts of the book are sexist and borderline offensive. I find it surprising that a male designer would assume that (1) women are completely ignorant of "what men want" (whatever that means), (2) only women knit for men (there's very little acknowledgement of male knitters), and (3) men are simple creatures with simple tastes. I thought Judith Durant's _Never Knit Your Man A Sweater (Unless you got the ring!)_ was bad, but the commentary throughout this books really got under my skin at times. I know most of this commentary is suppose to be funny and cute, but it's pretty insulting to both men and women. The commentary is unnecessary, not at all useful in helping with design issues, and can be a major distraction from a very good book of patterns. Hopefully, this isn't an issue with Weinstein's next pattern book, _Boyfriend Sweaters_, but with the subtitle "19 designs for him that you'll want to wear" I'm not holding my breath; not will I be reading the commentary.

All-in-all, I would highly recommend this book. It's better than the majority of the men's pattern books out there.
on August 24, 2012
I'm pretty torn on this book. I bought it because my husband wants one of the sweaters, but I cringe every time I read any of the "funny" parts. I mean, are you kidding me? This is one of the most sexist, clueless books I have opened in a long time. I'm sure it's funny if you buy into stereotypes so crisp a sitcom would drool with envy? The comparisons between men and women are pretty insulting to everyone involved.

On the other hand the patterns are awesome, if a bit tricky to follow. This is not a book for a beginner.

So. Three stars. And I just won't read any of the book parts, I'll stick to the patterns.
on December 10, 2016
I love this book. It's honest about what men will wear and works within that range. The patterns were fun for me.
on September 7, 2014
Terrible patterns- I am an experienced knitter, and had been looking for sweaters to make for my father and brother in law. The patterns in this book are written in a different manner from every other book I have used in the past eleven trade-off and the sweater I did work up looks nothing like the one in the book, even with a bit of help from the women at my local yarn shop. I feel so strongly about this book that I wouldn't even donate to the library. Two big thumbs down.