Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 19 reviews
on June 11, 2015
I love this book! Who knew a book about eagles could be so highly entertaining? I bought the book for my classroom and, being the dutiful teacher, I read it first. I laughed, I smiled and I lived vicariously through the author's telling of his experiences. Gifts of an Eagle was a joy to read!
on December 3, 2016
This has earned a 5-star rating. I rarely award that these days for it is a rare book which earns that ranking. I stand humbled before an author who has told a necessary tale about a true wild hero. It was easy to love the subject. I thank the Durdens who left us this wonderful story.
on December 29, 2012
Read the book on Kindle but also have the actual book and DVD. A wonderful story of the relationship between man and eagle. The relationship was pretty much equal especially in the eagle's eyes. I'd recommend reading the book first and then watching the DVD since there is much more detail in the book.

I also soar in gliders and frequently have hawks, vultures and seagulls sharing and circling in the same thermal I would be flying in. I never cease to marvel at their beauty and total grace and ease in the air. Seeing an eagle close up is really something. This book just brings the eagle to life.

Note that the kindle version appears to place all the pictures at the end while in the book it appears after several different sections. In this case it is much easier to flip back and forth in the actual book. A very small nitpick to an overall great experience both kindle and actual book.

If you like this book you will also love "Wesley the Owl".

Highly recommended.

P.S. Another reviewer mentioned that the book is out of print. You can still get it along with the DVD here: [...]
on March 16, 2014
This book was such a pleasure to read. Totally entertaining and endearing. Lots of interesting facts told in the wittiest way with a good measure of suspense utilized to tell the tale. Do not hesitate to try this book. I have bought copies for all of my naturalist friends to rave reviews.
on March 20, 2017
So glad I read this...I have been a bird watcher since childhood. I count birds for researchers in the winter. And it is true that you CAN establish a relationship with these beautiful, glorious creatures!
on December 21, 1997
Kent Durden's "Gifts of an Eagle" was a rare find at the Public Library, and one of those books you want to own once you've read it. There is something about "Lady", the eagle that Kent and his father raised, that reveals a personality, a wild conciousness that was quite marvelous to witness "firsthand". Kent and his father got a liscense from the state of California to capture and raise this golden eagle, (something I doubt is even possible any more, which makes this a piece of history too.) For anyone who loves eagles, you will never get a more personal experience than this. Although out of print, this excellent book can still be found with a little digging.
on January 4, 2013
Bought this book as a gift for my husband who is very interested in eagles. He devoured it in no time, sharing so many of the stories that he read about this bird and the father and son she touched with her life
on April 3, 2017
Just started reading and already LOVE IT ~~~~~~~~
on March 26, 2017
Nice story of a human-raised eagle's research and release to the wild.
on December 4, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed the book. Informative and touching story.