Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Format: Vinyl|Change

Showing 1-10 of 336 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 431 reviews
on May 30, 2014
First of all... being that this is another album from Neil Young and Crazy Horse, it is not wonder that this album is just brilliant.
I am a huge Neil Young fan, and I can not get enough of his lyrics and music.
There is not one bad song on this album. Of course, being a 21st century kid, I hear a lot of saggy panted jerk-offs say Neil Young is old. My reply is simply that Neil Young continues TODAY (A Letter Home) to make better music than the crap kids listen to today.
My personal favorite songs from this album is Driftin' Back, Ramada Inn, For the Love of Man and Walk Like a Giant.
Every song on this album has great solos, incredible-thought provoking lyrics, and of course.... it is just Neil Young. I have nothing I do NOT like about this.
If you like Neil Young, or if you are simply looking for good music, just go ahead and add this to your collection. It is a classic!
on November 10, 2012
Neil begins the album sparsely on an acoustic with a "hey now now hey now now" as he drifts back to the very essence of the creation on his art whilst putting forward his views on current subjects. Crazy Horse fades in nicely over Young's acoustic intro and jam through 27 minutes of intertwining guitar interplay, harmonising and Neil's intermittant versing. This song takes time and grows with each listen, has a soothing quality to it, one must take in the smell of the horse and enjoy the excursion.

The title track takes its chords from Sign of Love and is fed through phasers giving it a swirling vibe. A party girl looking for a good time, its one of many songs where Neil sings of a seemingly distant unattainable mystery woman.

Ramada Inn is where disc 1 is at, its perhaps Neil and the Horses best tune since Change Your Mind, a story song with an uplifting chorus sung by the Horse. Neil's guitar playing is a real thing of beauty, cutting and slashing weaving meandering burning yet sublimely controlled it is among my favourites that is for sure. Not on of its 17 minutes is wasted.

Born In Ontario sees Neil kicks up the dust, it harkens back to the good days of Neil's childhood. This one would sound great on the radio and dare I say it hit worthy, Kid Rock would probably reach #1 with a similar tune.

Disc 2 starts of with a song paying homage to the musicians that first captivated Neil as an aspiring singer. Lyrically this song is great, again, this would have easily been an early or mid 70's hit. Neil's lyrics really place you in his shoes as a young lad living and breathing the path to music stardom.

She's Always Dancing takes me back to the 70's with its swirling and hypnotic vibe that really draws you in, in a way that Like A Huricane Did. Brilliant guitar playing from Neil, as good as on any record he has put out, it truly is, his trademark heartbreaking warble as vulnerable as ever.

If you don't get a tear in the eye or a lump in your throat during the tender moment of the album, For the Love Of Man, this is truly a song from Neil's heart, about something real and dear to him, it moves me in a way i haven't been moved since Philedelphia. I love the way he sings the last few lines, a nod to one of his heroes Roy Orbison. Heartfelt.

Neil snarls out the lyrics on Walk Like A Giant, in a defiant and surestrong way which aptly desribes the man who has been a giant on the music scene for over 40 years can sometimes feel like a leaf in a stream, it really is a great lyric. This song would not have been out of place on Rust Never Sleeps with Neil and Crazy Horse ending this epic tune simulating giants walking through the feedback of their guitars bass and drums.

Perhaps unessentially the boys end the album with an alternative version of Psychadelic Pill, I am still undecided whether this version should have taken the place of track 2 and sort of spoils a fitting end to the album that Walk Like A Giant could have been. This to me is similar to the ending to the Zuma album where in my opinion Cortez The Killer should have been the final track.

This is certainly my favourite of the Crazy Horse jamming albums, great production and plenty of trips that have been rarely bettered with the Horse.
on December 4, 2012
Before buying this, I went through every review. I agree that Neil has put out a bunch a sub par music over the years, so I just wanted to get a better understanding of this effort before taking yet another plunge. After listening through this three times now, I could honestly say that I am glad I did.
This to me is the best music Neil has put out in a very long time. I am amazed at how many people have trashed it. How can this be trashed?
Drifting Back? Ok, so it is 27 minutes long but it never gets old. At least not for me. I found myself lost and moving through time. The best way I could describe it was as if you were at the dentist office getting nitrous. Just bouncing around through time and memories. Is that not what music is about? Getting lost in the song? I also really enjoyed Ramada Inn. Much the same beat and almost as long but this song had some really nice harmonies and I found myself wanting more.
Twisted Road is also very good. She's always dancing is another decent track that again, just keeps you enjoying the sound and beat that NY & CH have brought us for so many years.
Let's talk Walk Like A Giant. Another very long song, that could have been at least a few minutes shorter but who cares? Can you honestly say that you have not been whistling since you have heard this? I can't get it out of my head. My wife yelled at me. What's with the whistling? Besides that, this is a very good song with decent lyrics to boot. I cringe at the bad reviews. There was even one reviewer that bashed the sound quality and the engineer. Again, anyone that truly knows this band completely understands this sound. It's part of what makes it great. It's garage band like. Raw. Simple and rustic!
Perhaps this effort is best suited for long drives but I really enjoyed it.
on May 14, 2013
To begin with, I am a Neil Young fan. Most of his albums reside closely within reach, and I constantly recommend him to friends. There is, therefore, the slight possibility that I am somewhat prejudiced toward this album.
From the opening guitar notes, I knew that this album was going to be special. Neil can take the simplest of phrases like "Hey, now now, Hey now now. I'm Drifting Back", put it with his guitar, his voice, and Crazy Horse, and you find yourself "Driftin' Back". His guitar work makes one float to, well, wherever your mind lets you float to.Then he takes what seems to be an almost silly phrase like "I used to dig Picasso", adds, "Then a big tech giant came along and turned him into wallpaper", to it, and I realize "I used to dig Picasso", too.
As always with Neil, one genre is not enough. You get some great electric rock songs on the first thee cuts, "Driftin' Back", "Psychedelic Pill", and "Ramada Inn". I reckon most people would label them "grunge", but I prefer "classic Neil Young heavy rock, bordering at times on acid rock, with some drone- style Neil Young thrown in for good measure". How's that? The next two songs, "Born In Ontario" and "Twisted Road"are Neil Young country-rock (he explains his style a bit on "Twisted Road"), then back to "classic Neil Young heavy rock, bordering at times on acid rock, with some drone-style Neil Young thrown in for good measure" on "She's Always Dancing". They slow it down a bit on "For The Love Of Man", but return to the heavier sound for "Walk Like A Giant" and "Psychedelic Pill (Alternet Mix)".
In my opinion, there is not one bad cut on this album. Add it to your Neil Young with Crazy Horse collection. You will not regret it for one of the 87 minutes of music on this album.
on January 2, 2013
This Blu Ray adds absolute necessity to any Neil Young fan's home electronics set up. The music is astounding if your system is aimed at audio resolution. MP3 is crap. This album on a good system will blow your mind. The album itself is a tremendous masterwork by the Godfather of Grunge. The guy quit drugs, got his old band Crazy Horse back together, recorded a "folk" album that ROCKS (Americana), but before touring he insisted on recording brand new music that really hits deep, music that the Grunge Gods in Heaven would be moved to tears by! 80 minutes of sonic bliss. The guy rocks so hard with that guitar of his; the tone is insanely inspired. A jet engine in a hurricane never sounded so good! Even the more basic songs are very good. He does stuff here we have never seen him do before. The epic passages stretch on for over 20 minutes in the case of 2 of them. Ontario is a classic sing-along song which surely came from Neil's mind while writing his new memoir, Waging Heavy Peace. The video which accompanies the blu ray is quite fun to watch as our hero grows up and hangs out with Dad, etc. Twisted Road is a tip of the hat to Dylan and Like a Rolling Stone, and also to Roy Orbison and Sam Cooke. It is another modern classic. Ramada Inn, it is said, may be the best song he has ever written. But there are several more new classics on this 80 minute album and several more that are very good. In fact, the whole darn album is a knockout punch. Just as his recent albums have all been incredibly inspired. Le Noise, oh God, don't get me started. And they are all available on Blu Ray. Just search in Amazon. I won't review the Panasonic BDT-500 here, but it is a hell of a great audio / blurry video player. The experience I had while cranking this album up and watching the cool behind the scenes video shots and amazing visual art (walk like a GIant) was completely moving and powerful. I could feel the sound resonating with my body, filling my soul with a full sound spectrum by my favorite living recording artist. When the hell is Experience Hendrix going to start releasing jimi's multitude of classic albums on Blu Ray audio, I wonder.
on July 27, 2014
Great sound, love the hi rez format.....would like to have had some multichannel but 24/196 stereo rattles the rafters just fine. Neil used to piss my parents off, now he pisses off the wife.....life is good.
on November 12, 2012
This is Neil Young and Crazy Horse at their best. If you loved the lyrics and HEAVY guitar of Ragged Glory, Everyone Knows This is Nowhere, Live Rust, etc., you'll love this. I hope I can still bring it when I'm Neil's Age. His Best CD since Ragged Glory for this style of Neil. How does he do 15-26 minute songs with extensive guitar breaks without boring and sounding repetitious? This is the mark of a genius, which Neil is. If you look at his body of work and variety of styles, He's up there with dylan, and as a guitar player, he can do more with one note or chord than many can do with a hundred: a VASTLY under-appreciated and underrated guitarist.
on November 30, 2012
I don't want to repeat what others have said about how great it is to have Neil back with CH and how great they sound on this album. I also don't want to repeat what Uncle Mozo already said in his Blu-Ray Review...I will add regarding the kaleidoscope visuals...first of all, taking a "Psychedelic Pill" is definitely the feeling you experience watching. Second, they appear to be studio shots as taken through the kaleidoscope. They worked for me. The black & white videos are along the lines of Americana.

I agree somewhat with Mozo regarding Horse Back. I wouldn't say it was the finest thing NY&CH have ever recorded, but for a few bucks more you can get all 37 minutes of it, it is great, and you get an additional version of Pill. So if you are a fan of NY&CH, or heard and watched the stream on Neil's site, pay the extra couple bucks, get the extra songs, enjoy the videos, and...

What I mainly want to address is the sound quality of the blu-ray. I was disappointed in the sound quality of the Americana blu-ray mainly because I did not feel they took either the time nor the effort to leverage the capability of blu-ray in the mix. I have a Spotify Premium account that plays through my decent 7.1 surround system through an HDMI connection and I didn't notice much, if any, difference in quality to the blu-ray. This, IMO, is fixed with Psychedelic Pill. I had listened to Pill several times through my Spotify account as I waited for the blu-ray release. I was very pleasantly surprised at the outstanding mix and sound quality of the blu-ray compared to Spotify; it was like hearing it for the first time.
on February 5, 2014
"Drifting Back" is a fract'd up remaxed catastrophe meditation groove stretching 27 minutes (not that length matters then again it kinda does ) 37 seconds, in other words plenty long enough for you to melt down drift down to your DNA roots, turn back into your field of wheat (whose trip is this?) and build yourself all the way back up, watch the cat on the counter turn upside down in dreams of the Dead playing "Dark Star" live on the Live Dead 1969 release and wonder what year is this again, old man sittin there / touch of grey / he don't care, push away all the thoughts now, push away all the anger (good luck) and come back come back and notice the groove Crazy Horse keeps --- on --- laying --- it --- down.
on December 5, 2012
I cut my teeth as a 17 year old, in 1969, on "Everybody Knows..." That album set a standard for thousands of rock and country albums since, for this humble reviewer. I loved Zuma, when it came out in the mid-70s . An even stronger installment came in 1990 with Ragged Glory...a Top 10 of the Decade album. A superior, under appreciated follow up--Sleeps With Angels--followed up a year later--perhaps too soon, as every album by the Horse has a long, long shelf life. Its another winner.

And then..... the wait. I wore have worn those four CDs out. Like Bob D said in Highlands, I just put Neil Young on and turn it up and hope the neighbors cut me some slack.

The wait is over. Neil and the Horse have come through with a classic.

I have a very difficult time getting beyond track 3, Ramada Inn, when I play this magnificent album. Reason is, two of those first three songs are quite long, and all of them rank with Neil and Crazy Horse's very best. Except that, more treasures await, if you can suppress the temptation to circle back. The closer is a stunner.

There are many others here who can give you the ins and outs of each song. I'm not even going to try. Beyond my paygrade.

My message is, for the folks like me who have been waiting for the next installment of the opus commenced with Everybody Knows.... "You have mail"