Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.99

Showing 1-10 of 57 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 95 reviews
VINE VOICEon September 27, 2012
The fourth recording by Band of Horses comes during a time when the group's line up has stayed fixed for perhaps the longest time in its history. Perhaps this solidarity helps explain what is a shift in direction for the band to more stripped-down 70's style songs from the more grandiose efforts on their previous recordings.

I have to say that I initially did not like this shift in tone on "Mirage Rock," but after listening multiple times, I actually do. This album strikes me more as more of a colloration among memmbers, and there is ample variety among the songs. Granted not every track is a winner---Heartbreak on the 101 has me scratching my head and punching the skip button---but I like pretty much the rest of the album.

I encourage you to give this one some time to "burn in" before you bash it.
on February 18, 2013
I'm a huge band of horses fan and i like this album. Its a bit different, but so was "Infinite Arms" (the previous album) and I love that album. It did take me a few times to listen to the album in its entirety..but it is now forever ingrained into my soul. Their first two records "Everything all the Time" and "Cease to Begin" were absolutely awesome, timeless and sound pretty similar in my opinion. I think Band of Horses is starting to mature in style,..like great bands often do. I'm glad i purchased "Mirage Rock" and look forward to new Band of Horses music and salute their success.
on October 13, 2012
It's hard for me to even consider this Band of Horses and if you ignored the name it wouldn't be. The lineup has changed too much. This album is just too generic and monotonous to listen to as a BoH album. I can understand the shift in style, and I wouldn't call it lazy, but I think it's long past time to rebrand. For those hoping for the interesting sounds of the past, just forget about it. Infinite Arms was the last rustle before the silence that this band by its name has become.
on November 19, 2012
I was super excited about this album when I pre-ordered it. I intentionally didn't preview any tracks online before buying it. I wanted the full album experience right off the bat.

Got the CD, unwrapped it and hit play. The first song started and I was so excited! Knock Knock is a true-to-form BOH song. Catchy, unique vocals--what I'd expect. Then the downhill trend began. After the second song ended the entire CD loses it for me. The songs do not sound like Band of Horses. The vocals are very droning and every song is so repetitive, not in a good way.

Once 'Electric Music' starts that's when I really start to cringe. It just seems so corny and simple. The vocals don't sound like they have any heart behind them. The guitar sounds like a college kid from Alabama doing a jam session. Think about the complexity and art behind 'The Funeral'. There is none of that here.

I wanted to give this album a fair shake before the review, which is why this review is so late after the release. I really have a hard time listening to this CD from start to finish. It's rare that an album is like that, but this is one. Ignore any 5 star reviews. Unless you are a huge BOH fan, skip this one.
on August 26, 2014
Yes, the band has changed and the overall sound and may touch the "Americana" territory at times, but it works, and also blends with their familiar style. It sounds like The Flying Burrito Brothers meet modern country/"indie" rock. I am very impressed how well they make it work.
For a sample of the newer sounds check out "The Slow Cruel hands of time". For "old school BOH listen to "Knock Knock.
A prime example of both aspects of these styles mixing on this album is the track "Dumpster World",
It blends perfectly their Burrito Brothers/America/etc influence with the classic BOH sound. The track "Dumpster World" sums up the new mix.
Love it!
on October 22, 2012
Have listened to Mirage Rock over and over again and wind up with a different song stuck in my head each time. Some people criticize bands for not evolving and others can only compare a band's latest to a previous work. Each work should be judged alone and on that basis Mirage Rock scores. From the upbeat "It's a Little Biblical" , to the relevant "Dumpster World", from the melodic "How to Live" to the beauty of "Highway 101", I find the whole thing interesting and find it easy to appreciate the talent of Ben Bridwell and the guys. Tyler Ramsey and Ryan Monroe who have each had solo albums this year stand out. This band is truly a band, not a lead guy and some back up musicians.Since they are skipping my city on their current tour, I'll just have to settle for listening to this great CD. Sure people compare them to every 70's band imaginable, I might do the same, only as a compliment, comparing them to bands whose music we still remember after 40 years.
on January 31, 2013
For me, this is one of the best records of 2012, alongside Justin Townes Earle. "Knock Knock" kicks things off as a rousing opener, but the best moments of Mirage Rock are often its quietest. "Everything's Gonna Be Undone," "The Slow Cruel Hands of Time," and the closer, "Heartbreak on the 101," are all beautiful and indelible. My one complaint is "Dumpster World," which sounds too much like 70s soft-rockers America with a quasi-punk breakdown in the middle and some overly blunt political posturing--as much as they sound like Neil Young's indie rock children, they haven't yet gotten his deft hand with social commentary. Still, a great record overall, every bit the equal to Infinite Arms, and more mature than Cease to Begin.
on October 25, 2012
I'm really enjoying this album because of the differences between this one and their their 3 previous albums. This doesn't have the overbearing bass that was present in the last 2. Not that the other 3 don't have beautiful instruments and lead singing. I like everything BOH has done, but this is simplier back-to-roots type stuff and I think it's a step forward (even though it's litterly a step back). More like their live performances! If they'd combine what they had in the first 3 (especially "When I lived Alone....") with "Mirage Rock", it would be a perfect "10" or 20 or 30!! But what do I know, I think Glyn and Ben know more about their music than I ever will. I do know what I like, and I like this !!!!
on October 4, 2012
Glynn Johns should have remained in retirement.The last decent album he produced was the Ronstadt/Harris joint The Western Wall and the reason it was good is probably because those two of the all time great singers likely had a hand in it themselves.His production choices make BOH sound like one of America's weaker 1970s efforts ,one without any hits.I found something to love on this band's first three albums but nothing on this one really grabs me.There is enough talent here that Birdwell and the boys should regain their footing the next time out.Just let that old curmudgeon Johns go back into retirement.
55 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2012
I was so excited about BOHs' new album, so I pre-ordered the vinyl. I plan to give it several more listens, but so far I'm very disappointed. I loved their first two albums and liked Infinite Arms, but this one isn't sticking with me so far. I'm still trying to decide if it's because of the "poppier" sound, the song writing, or both.. FYI for vinyl purchasers, since Amazon does a lousy job on vinyl details, this album DOES come with access to the digital tracks and is on a sturdy 180 gram black vinyl.