Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 30, 2012
The first concert I ever went to see when at 9 years old was No Doubt. At the time it was when TRAGIC KINGDOM had been out for over a year. Of course they played all the songs, and I remember it being an awesome concert. This is also when I discovered that the band is somewhat insane. Adrian, the band's almost naked drummer, with his mohawk. The entire band wearing makeup, not just Gwen Stefani. And worst of all was the mouth of Gwen Stefani. You'd think that she was raised by sailors. Being 9 years old these kind of things intrigued me, but because I was a "good kid" I never enacted said attitude outwardly.

Like many I was obsessed with TRAGIC KINGDOM for many years, and much of the music I listened to I compared with this CD. It more than likely fell short, even the band themselves I thought at times.

Fastforward to 2000 and their release of RETURN OF SATURN. After a few listens I couldn't get into the CD so I set it aside for some time and continued with my waning obsession of TRAGIC KINGDOM. Although I still loved it I wished that NO DOUBT or any band/artist could release an album equal to it. So began a musical purgatory in my life. Nothing sounded great, like TRAGIC KINGDOM. Then the band released Rock Steady. At the time, I thought it was strange that the band was trying to penetrate the reggae market. Many of the songs on ROCK STEADY were what I needed to spark my interest in music again. I was worried about the direction of the band because of all the reggae influence. I went back and listened to RETURN OF SATURN and saw that the band was just evolving their sound with each record. I then became intranced by certain songs on both records, awing at the talent of that each band member has and refined sound that I think Tragic Kingdom lacked, being such a raw album itself. This elegance made its way onto the band's single/remake of IT'S MY LIFE.

Then began the hiatus of No Doubt, which included Gwen's solo career, which was OK, but not what I had come to expect from the collaboration of the band & their affiliates. Band member, Tony Kanal, did help P!NK with FUNHOUSE. I can totally see a NO DOUBT influence sparking the music and lyrics behind this P!nk album. This is maybe why I love the record so much and one I hold to a similar standard to NO DOUBT's previous compilations.

So here we are ... the recent past and current present. After my own musical renaissance in college, the force of music came flooding back into my life stronger than ever, becoming a love of mine again. I began following the band again. I listened to every album many times over. I learned to love each album on its own. I thought that if this was all NO DOUBT would ever do together than I would have to follow them separately. I settled for thinking I would have to get my NO DOUBT fix vicariously through those artists they chose to light the flame of greatness beneath.

BUT THEN, the band announced that they were working on a new album. I eagerly anticipated its release even through its delayed release (to the agnst of their fans) and my delayed order from Amazon. The best stunt they could have done is release a song telling fans to SETTLE DOWN and that is exactly what they did! Just one more reason to love NO DOUBT. Not only that, but Settle Down is such a silly song that kinda has a weird fit to the puzzle of PUSH AND SHOVE as is the title track. One thing that I have seen in the progress of NO DOUBT is that they have been increasingly slipping into the background of music (I see parallels to Alanis Morissette). TRAGIC KINGDOM being their big breakout success that went further than they could have ever dreamed. They created an album that set the bar. Everything from their looks through to their entertainment factor pushed the envelope. This continued into RETURN OF SATURN, which despite not being as successful as TRAGIC KINGDOM still set the bar for alternative/pop rock. With ROCK STEADY they had crazy fusion between pop, rock, electronica and reggae, but it worked. They were conforming somewhat, but they were still pushing their fanbase into new territory. PUSH AND SHOVE seems like a move into the background. Almost a fading out if you will, which would have made sense like 5 years ago. But Why put out a CD if you don't think you are going to continue making music together?

Despite this factor and what many others say, I love PUSH AND SHOVE and I think it was worth the wait. My only complaint is that I think that Gwen could have sung some of the songs with a little more passion or displayed some kind of variation throughout each work. The record feels like a glimpse into the soul of the band and where they were up to where they are presently, which deserves a little more conviction on Gwen's part. Just like a NO DOUBT album though, each song is unique and fresh. So its not the band's best work, but its still a fantastic collaboration between its talented members.
on October 2, 2012
I definitely understand some of the old school ND fans feeling disappointed and one of my first thoughts was it does seem more like a Gwen cd than a ND one, BUT having said that, I have really been enjoying this cd. There are several great songs that will get stuck in your head and enough ska elements infused without the cd to keep old fans at least mildly happy. I think this is their best cd so far.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on April 5, 2013
Why has this album only sold 240,000 copies in the U.S.? No promoting. I didn't even know No Doubt was back and with a new CD until I heard a clip of Push & Shove while playing SongPop on Facebook! For $10 w/ free InstantRip, I figured "why not". My wife and I actually enjoy this album quite a bit. The songs are a little more pop than previous No Doubt, but still good just the same and Gwen sounds as good as ever. Like No Doubt? Don't like No Doubt and have $10 burning a hole in your pocket? But this album.
on March 2, 2017
Some things to know:
- Push & shove album version is different from radio edit *includes extra bridge/chorus whatever the heck the middle part is called. I personally prefer the radio edited version which is shorter.
- Settle down is exactly as the music video, about 6 min long
on February 1, 2013
I am not quite sure why anyone would still expect "Tragic Kingdom Part II" from No Doubt given that both " Return of Saturn" and "Rock Steady" revealed that No Doubt pursues eclectic music and they are adamant not to stick with one style. It also sounds like a rather inane idea to record a new album after years of hiatus solely to repeat an old sound. Frankly, I am glad No Doubt did exactly the opposite of what majority seems to demand and came up with an album that mixes new sound while maintains some core No Doubt elements. In this respect, "Push and Shove" is closer to "Rock Steady" than to "Return of Saturn" and " Tragic Kingdom" but still features some components from the latter two. "Settle Down" and the title track "Push and Shove" are full force reggae infused ska punk songs that welcome horns and strong guitars and they may be the only tracks on the album to satiate the ungrounded anticipation of Tragic Kingdom Part II junkies. No surprise that both tracks indeed remain the strongest songs on the album but not because they are reminiscent of old days but because they offer unexpected fluctuations between genres and tempos. The rest of the album might be less unpredictable in this sense but that does not mean "Push and Shove" stops there. " Looking Hot" is beyond catchy with fun vocals and big sound guitars (it also sounds amazing live). "Undercover" is infectious in terms of lyrics, vocals and the overall feelings of doubt and vulnerability conveyed by Stefani. Most of the songs may not emulate the lyrical prowess of " Return of Saturn" but both "Dreaming The Same Dream" and "Undone" retain the Saturn quality by being relatable, candid and touching. "Gravity" and "Heaven" reside in the boundaries of new wave and confirm that pop can sound better when No Doubt takes charge. Overall, "Push and Shove" is an easy-to-listen album with a good mixture of catchy songs, safe attempts and few unexpected moments. It may not necessarily stand out in No Doubt catalog but it ensures relevancy and creativity of No Doubt.
on October 20, 2012
I was expecting this album to be good...but to be honest, it's more than that, this album is great!
I give 4 stars because there are only two songs Easy and Sparkle, that are not as perfect as the others.
But Push and Shove is one of their best songs ever!

My Top 5
Heaven

One of the Best of 2012!
4 helpful votes
on September 27, 2012
I think the album is excellent! All No Doubt albums are quite different from each other and this is no exception. It is kind of mellow compared to their previous work. Tragic Kingdom will forever be my favorite album; however, the band has grown and evolved over the years and the style of their music reflects this. Rock Steady had some great songs, but there were some tracks that I always skipped. I listen to this entire album and each song is enjoyable for me. It does lean more toward pop. I feel their music has gravitated in that direction over the years, but with their own No Doubt style. IMO, it does not feel like Gwen's solo works as previous reviewers mentioned. You can feel the entire band in this album and I am so glad No Doubt is back!

Update: The more I listen to the album the more I like it. Push and Shove, Undone, One More Summer, Easy, and Settle Down definitely are the standout tracks (for me). But like I said I pretty much enjoy all the songs on this album. No Doubt has never really done a song like Undone (most notably the guitar) and I think that song is superb.
on December 10, 2014
No Doubt fans waited a very long time for new music and that may be the number one reason this album hasn't spawned a bunch of radio hits like it should have. The band toured first and out this album out afterward. It got very little radio air play. Lets face it, radio is different than it was in 2001 when Rock Steady ruled the air waves. Without radio support and without a tour to present the new music live, this album failed to meet its potential. All that being said, this album has numerous good songs and has become a classic No Doubt album that regularly makes it to my play rotation. Its a shame that the album didn't do as well as it should because in my opinion there are several songs on here that very well could have been top 40 radio hits. I would recommend this album to anyone. It is a great listen and for me will be a classic in my collection.
on November 2, 2012
"Easy" is one of my favorite songs on this album

"Push and Shove" has a great sound to it

I like all of the songs on this album, but these are my two favorites. I really like this album because it doesn't sound like their previous albums - they did something different this time. Not as much "ska" style as previous albums.

So glad they finally came out with a new album. I haven't stopped listening to it in my car since they released it.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on December 1, 2012
OK, so I read some of the other reviews, and I generally have to disagree. Yes, there is no Don't Speak or Hey Baby on this album. But there are lots of fine songs, and its a musical work of art. I like every single song on it, which I can't say of any other No Doubt or Gwen Stefani album. All the attention seems to be on Push and Shove and Settle Down, when Looking Hot and Undone and Sparkle and Heaven are just as good. Yes, she didn't just break up with someone and hasn't got the wave of pain passing through the music, she's happy (more or less), and it's harder to write Don't Speak under those circumstances. But it's obviously a No Doubt album, and more than worth buying and listening to, and not just once.