Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Book House Cleaning GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 345 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 496 reviews
on February 7, 2014
I've been using my old Nikon D-200 for some time now and got tired of having to lug around a video camera as well and I wanted to move towards an FX format but not break the bank. I came upon the D-600 as a Lightning Deal and with a number of accumulated purchase credit awards, was able to get it for a ridiculously low price. It was a no-brainer to get this camera - the images are absolutely stunning, and the ton of features are mind-boggling. The one thing I have to nitpick about is the design of the external battery grip - whereas I was able to store both batteries in the grip and remove them easily to charge them, the D-600 design requires one battery in the camera and the other in the grip. Minor issue though.

As for the big issue with the camera, I have not experienced the oil spot problem yet - I've shot approximately 300 images and hope I don't get that problem, but just in case, I purchased the Eclipse sensor cleaning solution and cleaning swabs from PSI, so if it I do get the oil spots, I can clean them quickly. Here's hoping I never have to use them.

Continuing with the camera, I have nothing but great things to say about it - the images and video are absolutely fantastic. I'm currently using the 24-85 kit lens, and the images look great to me, although other users say the images are much better with other lenses. I've posted a few pictures, so you can judge for yourselves. I haven't shot anything with my 60mm macro or 10-20mm zoom, but everything in good time. I'll post more images when I do.

I know some people have had issues with it, but it's a great camera nonetheless. For someone who wants to get into the FX format, not break the bank, and take spectacular pictures, this camera's for you..
review image review image review image
on December 3, 2013
I purchased this camera as an upgrade from my D5000. It has more then exceeded my expectations. I work with a professional photographer on a part-time basis. I shoot different events (weddings, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs..etc.) and can personally say this camera has allowed me to expand my role as a second shooter. I have also done portraits on my own and have had amazing results. I did a lot of research on several different Nikon cameras and kept on coming back to this one. When I was set on getting the D600 I spoke to my photographer, (who is good friends with someone who works for Nikon), and she got back to me and said her friend admitted that what I was getting the camera for on Amazon was a great deal and it is a great camera for what I need it for. If you want to delve into the world of full frame cameras and are serious about photography then this could be the camera for you.

Edit: 12/5/13: After nearly 8K images shot I now have the spots on my images....NOT HAPPY about this. Luckily it's happening during the off season and not much going on but right before the holidays... Seriously?! Grrrrrr
on April 20, 2015
A huge step up in image quality from my Fuji XPro1 (which is now for sale). If you need lots of dynamic range for your work and the "smoother" look a FF sensor provides, this is the best choice for the $s, IMO. (I got my 2nd-hand from KEH)
I bought the D600 when it was heavily discounted and it was my first full frame camera. At times i found the camera a little over whelming to use. I am sure it was probably end user error, but i felt the need to post process all of my photos before i could be happy with them. White balance was almost always incorrect, on board flash almost always ruined my photos but man this camera was a joy to put in the hand. Ergonomically it fit me perfect. Very quick to access controls or change settings unlike my Current samsung NX500 that requires you to go through menus to change about anything. Quality lenses were quite expensive so i mostly only used the 85mm F1.8g

If i could do it over again Id get a manual focus 28mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4, and the 85mm F1.8g
review image
on February 10, 2014
The camera produces stunning images. Having said that, the camera has a major flaw and Nikon was not forthcoming about it! Shame on Nikon! I had heard/read about it on the internet before I purchased it but Nikon assured me that the problem was only a minor dust problem. This was before I purchased the camera! I made the mistake of believing them. Won't make that mistake again! Hopefully Nikon will make it right. The shutter mechanism spews debris on the filter covering the sensor causing spots to show up on the images. Most of them clear away after several cleaning cycles and blasting it with a rocket blaster. The rest must be handled in post processing. I will send this camera back to Nikon for service but results seem to mixed on getting this issue resolved. Will post an update after I give that a try.
on September 20, 2012
This camera replaced my F5/FM2n... yes, I've been a film holdout for all this time. I've had some digital point-and-shoot cameras, but stuck by my film for "real" photos for a few reasons:

1. Until full frame DSLRs hit 12MP, I was getting more resolution out of my 35mm film (Ektar 100 / Portra 400 / Velvia 50) easily. I was also getting way better dynamic range out of my film until the most recent generation of full frame DSLR sensors, which now finally comes close to the dynamic range of film.

2. I am an occasional shooter and not a pro - so the cost per film shot, which works out to around $0.25/frame for me with development and scanning/printing, was totally reasonable compared to what it would have cost until now to take the same number of photos on a digital camera at the same level of quality I was getting. Heretofore, I would have had to buy at least a D3/D3s/D800/D700, and those are expensive to have sitting around not being used professionally or even on a weekly basis.

3. I have only "FX" lenses, and about 70% of it is AI-S. None of it is AF-S (what's autofocus is AF-D), so I had to have a screw-drive AF motor and I had to have a non-CPU lens memory bank. D600 has both, and it's full frame, so I don't have any of this funky crop factor crap.

4. Depth of field. I've got mostly very high-quality lenses, all primes and mostly f<2. I like the control of DoF they offer me. DoF at sensors smaller than APS-C is a poor joke, and I've seen APS-C look ok, but just didn't see the point in limiting my lenses.

5. Viewfinder. If you haven't ever looked through a 100% "FX" viewfinder, you might not understand how awful most DSLR viewfinders look to people using film or a proper "FX" DSLR like the D4/D3/D3s/D700/D800. I might not take a lot of photos, but I'd rather not spend my time staring down a short railroad tunnel squinting at the lights on the other end, especially if I'm going to be focusing manually.

Ok, so ultimately, I bought the D600. Now down to the actual product review.

Things that took some getting used to:
- I don't have a full set of AF / AE-lock buttons like I used to on the F5. D800 and D4 still have these, but D600 has one "catch all" button. Thankfully, this button can be reprogrammed entirely to perform any of the three old functions, or it can be reprogrammed to an unrelated function, too, so it's quite flexible. I am using it as "AF-on" right now, and I have the "Fn" key bound to "AE-lock", which compensates for the loss of the dedicated buttons on the back.

- Auto ISO. I'm not sure how I am going to deal with this, but I find Auto-ISO both useful for time savings, and annoying conceptually. It tends to adjust ISO a little too readily for my taste, but perhaps this feeling will fade when I adapt to the whole "ISO is more or less unimportant nowadays" thing.

- Autofocus-Continuous/Single button simplified to AF/MF. This is a little annoying because it makes the functionality of autofocus ambiguous. I believe the default functionality is fairly similar to AF-Continuous on my F5, but I more typically use autofocus in AF-Single mode, which doesn't track subjects. My subjects don't move much. **Update: Thanks for the tip, James, I see that this was just me not exploring enough, or, put another way, I should RTFM. The switch has indeed been revised so it's a two position switch, modified by a button in the middle of the selector. All functionality remains, and all is well**

- Viewfinder has an odd eyepiece. It's a great viewfinder to use, but that eyepiece is a little small and odd (ergonomically) to hold up to the face. This coming from someone used to the veritable porthole-window on the F5 should perhaps be taken with a grain of salt. I'm also an eyeglass wearer, but my correction is so minimal that I don't mind just taking off my glasses to use the D600. Didn't have to do that with the F5, but not a big deal.

- It's not all that small. Yes, it weighs about a pound less than my last camera, and that's a welcome change, but it's thicker and just as wide. Actually, this is the thickest darn camera I've owned, and I don't understand why. The F5 is a tank and probably about as happy pounding nails as any hammer in my house, but the fact remains that it feels, and measures, slim compared to the D600 (or most full frame DSLRs I've seen). The comparison to film cameras gets even more odd looking when you place the FM2n next to the D600... FM2n looks like a rangefinder, practically. So maybe this has to do with the sensor or the screen or whatever, but I know that it's not the optics, since flange distance and all that jazz is identical. Nevertheless, I'm happy it's light, which is is... very light.

- > 0 < indicator for manual focus is a little squirrely compared to the F5. I suspect this is because the emphasis is so much more on autofocus now, and the distance between AF sensors has gotten so much smaller. Anyway, it's good enough, just not as good as it used to be when cameras were made with manual focus in mind as a large percentage of lenses.

- No viewfinder screens from Nikon, at least yet. I used a grid screen with microprism collar and rangefinder center before this on the F5, which was nice as a MF aid. Also not a huge deal, just ergonomic.

- "Scene Modes" ?? Why is this useful? At least I can ignore it.

Things I like:
- I can shoot with impunity. Almost have to, now that I've got a $2000 debit from my account to justify to myself.

- Picture quality is really, really good. Certainly better than my photos deserve.

- I get matrix metering with my AI-S lenses. Maybe this is common now and I didn't realize it, but of the autoexposure film cameras Nikon made, only three that I know of had matrix for AI-S -- F6, F4 and FA. I'm fine with center weighted, but matrix is definitely more convenient for normal lighting.

- ISO 6400 looks a lot like ISO 1600, which looks mostly like ISO 800, which isn't so bad compared to ISO 400, which looks like ISO 200??? ISO is irrelevant on this sensor. Well, maybe not irrelevant, but it sure is impressive to be shooting above 800 and have such minimal noise.

- It's fast. Don't notice shutter lag, and the buffer hasn't given out on multi-shot sprees yet, though I do have a lot of the "auto" stuff off, which speeds things up (like the auto anti-vignette, auto d-light, etc).

- Mirror lockup. No, it doesn't have the little lever anymore, but I like the way they implemented mirror lockup. If you buy the IR remote, first click can lock mirror, second click triggers shutter. This is great for astrophotos.

- Key rebinding. Nikon allows you to rebind many of the buttons on the body to your preferred function. You could do this on the F5, but only to a very limited degree. D600 allows for comprehensive customization of the button functions, and this more than makes up for any shortcomings in the number of buttons included.

- LCD. Seeing what you just shot is great! I'm used to getting preview only on my crappy cameras, where critical focus is hardly a concern and sharpness is more or less limited by the crap lens attached. Plus, the screen on the D600 is quite nice. Very good resolution and brightness.

- Lens compatibility. Everything works, and my lenses are old. Non-CPU lens memory stores focal length and aperture for you, so you can shoot with full metering on AI-S lenses.

- Menu layout. Yes, there are a lot of settings. It's almost overwhelming compared to what I'm used to. But they're well laid out, and I have no issues with the depth of the menus. Plus, way easier to set "Turn on viewfinder gridlines" than try to remember that Option 15 should be "2". And if you find yourself using something all the time from the menu, bind it to a physical button and you're done.

All in all, I am glad I didn't get a D800E. I almost did, but just felt it was still too expensive. I'm also glad I never got bilked into the APS-C "DX" game. The D600 is a perfect camera for someone who isn't a professional, but who expects their gear to work like good film gear worked, and I figure I'm especially pleased because I've been living in the photography stone age, so this thing is practically magic.

I have not even tried the video features, so cannot comment there.

Highly recommended camera.

-------------- Update a few days on --------------

Still very pleased with the D600. I have now shot using most of my lenses, and I'm over 550 frames. It takes great photos in all light levels.

As an update to the auto-ISO matter, I maintain that auto-ISO is somewhat difficult to understand, at least in Aperture Priority and Manual modes. When I adjust aperture, for example, it often changes the ISO instead of changing the shutter speed to compensate. Shutter speed stays pretty fixed, and it's like I'm effectively balancing exposure with aperture and ISO instead of balancing between aperture and shutter, with ISO moving only once that balance becomes impractical due to light and shake constraints. I have not switched the mode back to manual ISO, but if I don't start figuring out its logic, I'm going to.

Another "Caveman Lawyer" moment - I found out this evening that I can bind a function to the "DoF" key. Here I was thinking DoF preview key would be mechanical, like on all my other cameras, but no- it's rebindable too! Good thing, since I almost never have need for DoF preview, especially now that I can simply take a photo and preview it on the beautiful LCD. I bound Spot Meter to this key, and the functionality is great.

To summarize, then, I have been able to rebind functions for:
- "DoF Preview" key (rebound to Spot Meter)
- "Fn" key (rebound to AE-L)
- "AE-L/AF-L" key (rebound to AF-On)

I tried a long burst earlier today, and filled the buffer for the first time. Was able to take 13 shots at full speed and full resolution / quality before it slowed down. That's a lot of pictures at full speed, and there's a neat "rXX" value that pops up in the viewfinder, indicating how fast the buffer is processing the shots you've taken (and how many shots you have in reserve that can be taken). When you exhaust the buffer, the value will read "r00", and when it's ready to take another, say, two shots, it'll read "r02". Time between shots after buffer was exhausted was around 1 second. Maybe people who know better will complain about this, but again: I'm from the stone age... it's true my F5 could go through a roll at about 8fps, but I'd rather go through 13 shots at 5.5fps and have it cost me nothing at all than be forever afraid that I'd invoke crazy-motor-drive-mode on the F5 and waste a roll in under 5 seconds. The buffer is definitely sufficient for my needs.

Having carried it now for a few hours at a time, I can definitely say I stick to my assessment regarding burden: it is not a small camera, but it is very light.

Oh, and battery life is excellent for something that has an LCD screen.

Finally, regarding quiet mode, represented by "Q" on the drive mode dial: this is the same as the "Cs" mode on the F5, and I'm sure other cameras have it as well. Just like the F5, it isn't really quiet at all. In fact, the sound pressure peak of the noise is nearly the same as the peak of the standard shutter noise. Granted the peak is shorter, and the total impulse of sound longer, but that's just the thing -- on both the F5 and the D600, "Quiet Mode" should really be called "what-the-hell-was-that-odd-unhealthy-camera-like-noise" mode. Just use the regular shutter and stop taking pictures if you need to be that quiet. Or get a Leica.

-------------- After a week --------------

No regrets. I took this out over the weekend to the dark wilderness and did some astrophotography. The battery life is fantastic, the mirror lockup mode using the remote is likewise wonderful, and the camera's noise levels in -complete darkness- are unbelievably low. It's like shooting a film camera, really, except not paying for film. Heck, about the only thing I can think of that might be disadvantageous for this camera vs., say, an FM2n for astrophotos is the battery consumption for very long shots. But with digital, to hell with long shots anyway. Take fifty 30-second exposures and stack them; then you hardly even need a mount.

After the night (mostly awake playing with the camera under the stars), I woke up and did some hiking. Spent that whole day using only MF lenses. Everything up to my 135mm is just fine with the stock viewfinder screen. Unfortunately, I do miss the microprism collar and rangefinder center for the 200mm and 300mm lengths. It's just darn hard to focus manually without those aids at such a power, and I can attest to it not being as hard on the F5 (with swapped viewfinder screen). Then again, I can stop down enough that focus isn't as critical with this sensor and still have good shutter speeds, so who cares?

I will probably get a third party / accessory viewfinder screen if that ever becomes available. If not, I can deal.

This weekend also marks the first time I used my "heavy" lenses for an extended period. No, I wasn't in -10F or anything, but the polymer faceplate didn't have any trouble supporting heavy telephoto primes. This camera is sturdy. Perhaps the F5 can stand up to abuse, but I plan on using my cameras, not abusing them, and the D600 is plenty good enough for any real use I might have. I will make sure to report back on how it performs next time I am in low temps.

Video! I finally used this mode. It works great and quality is very high. No bad noises in the mic, no "jelly" motion or shearing. I only shot with a 28mm AI-S lens, but all was quite well.

Ergonomics- I can do everything now without taking my eye off the viewfinder. This camera will be very familiar to anybody who has used a Nikon since the F5. Buttons are where they should be, and the stuff that's been invented since that era isn't much of an additional burden to learn, since it's all quite well thought out. What has been left out of this camera that remains on the professional line can easily be compensated for with the aforementioned key rebinding.

A few gripes:
- What could it have cost to give me an eyepiece shutter? I got some kind of plastic thing that that I'm never going to carry with me. Nikon, integrate this feature. Not a big deal, but silly.

- The stock strap is gaudy and stiff. Thankfully, the camera is light enough that I just swapped the strap out with paracord (550 cord) and it's plenty comfy. I've always swapped my straps on light cameras for paracord, but never could get away with that on the F5, since it was so heavy and the cord would press uncomfortably into my shoulder (even making marks after a long day).

- I wish there were a way to lock up the mirror for multiple frames. I feel bad cycling the mirror each time I take a series of astrophotos. No need for the mirror to work 50 times just because the shutter needs to cycle 50 times. Maybe I just don't know how to do this yet?

- Playback mode could be smarter. When you ask the camera to store JPG+RAW, you have to browse through both JPG+RAW in playback mode. I can see this being useful to someone, but you should be able to optionally limit playback to one or the other. Where this really gets annoying is deletion. When I shoot JPG+RAW, review, and decide I don't want to keep a shot, I must delete the JPG and then delete the RAW. They aren't always even sequential, which means I have to figure out what I haven't deleted yet, or be left with a patchwork of orphaned RAW/JPG files that I don't want! Just offer the option to hide one or the other in playback mode, and I'll be happy. And make deletion actions applicable to both the RAW and the JPG of the same photo.

- The Auto ISO thing never worked out. I turned it off, and I'm perfectly happy switching between ISOs when necessary myself. Ergonomics are so good on this camera that I've got that movement memorized now.
9292 comments| 254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2013
I purchased this camera about 2 weeks ago and have shot one wedding and two portrait sessions on it since receiving. I own the D7000, and have rented the D700 for all my weddings over the past year. I've also used the D700 and D3S while second shooting for other photographers. I didn't purchase one in hopes of a D700S coming out and finally decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and buy the D600.

The 24 megapixel files take some getting used to, esp after the 12 and 16 megapixel files I was working with before. I will say, a wedding photographer does NOT need a D800. There's no way to quickly and efficiently handle files that large. 36 megapixels is way overkill. If you are doing commercial or landscape photography, sure, knock yourself out with the D800.

The D600 feels a lot different in my hands compared to the D700. It is heavier than I expected, but still lighter than the D700. The quiet shutter function is awesome for church ceremonies. I did buy an off brand grip to help balance the weight when using large lenses.

The dynamic range is like nothing I've ever seen. I have photos from my last wedding that have beautiful details in the highlights and shadows that would not have been in shots taken by either of the previous cameras I've used.

The time lapse function is pretty neat. I tried it out this past weekend and really enjoyed it.

I have not had any issues with dust or oil spots. Knock on wood. The focus is great, the resolution is great, and all in all it makes beautiful photos in a very compact and lightweight body. I am going to wait a while to see what Nikon decides to come up with, but I anticipate I will be buying another one of these this fall.
on November 13, 2012
The "dust particle" problem with the D600 sensor, which is actually a "shutter lubricant splatter" problem is completely beyond excuse. How did that slip by Quality Control. The build-up on the sensor gets worse over time, and makes the camera completely unusable. My recommendation is Do Not Buy This Camera until Nikon issues a recall and fixes the problem on existing cameras and on all new ones in production.
99 comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2013
Even with the negative reviews here about the spotting issues I was willing to take a chance on getting a D600 that didn't have this problem, but it was not to be. within just a few shots I was able to see the dreaded spots when I viewed the picture files my monitor. I completely cleaned the sensor only to have the lubricant spots come back within about 30-35 shots. There was also an usualy amount of dust collecting on the sensor as well.
If it wasn't for this problem the Nikon D600 would have been an awesome camera. I found the camera a joy to use and shoot with the controls all laid out in a logical (to me that is) manner. The live view worked espically well having the camera mounted on a tripod (ReallyRightStuiff TQC-14 and BH-30 ballhead).I can't think of anything I would change on the camera. Yes, I know many have moaned the lack of Exposure control in Movie mode, but I never got around to using movie mode myself.
Sadly Nikon has really dropped the ball on QAULITY CONTROL in producing the D600 and I see the problem exist in the D800 line as well. If not for the spotting problems I would have given the D600 a 5 star rating.
Amazon, you should use your collective purchasing power and come down hard on Nikon for this mess, as it is costing you tons of lost revenue and many unhappy customers.
66 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2012
I am on my second D600 body. The first one was purchased here on Amazon next week after the camera launched. The dust accumulated after first 100 shots and some of the particles would not go away even after the Rocket Air blower was used several times. The dust spread out very quickly (not just in the upper left corner) and after 2000 shots, the ENTIRE sensor was covered with spots, over 10 of which were visible at F4 and a couple at F2.8. Returned the camera, waited a month or so and got another one. After first 5 shots - several spots appeared. Serial # starts with 3031XXX. After another 2000 pictures taken, it seems to be worse then the first body. Some of the spots are REALLY large and I cannot blow them away. Do not want to do the wet clean myself and not willing to be without the camera for 2-3 weeks and deal with horrible Nikon service (most recently had my Speedlight SB-800 serviced, could not get it back from them for a month - awful experience!) Have to shoot a wedding today, I will use my F1.4 and F1.8 optics to avoid visible spots. This is absolutely unacceptable and disturbing. This was my dream-come-true camera. I loved the weight of it, the feel, the features, the image quality... I feel so frustrated with this problem!!!
I was considering D800, but because of the file size and possible left AF problem decided against it.
So... Now what? I have recently invested in bunch of Nikon lenses and really love them. I really want this camera to work and will probably give another D600 one more shot. I will update this review and change it to 5 stars, once they fix this REAL problem at the manufacturing level.
44 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse