Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 111 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 180 reviews
on September 25, 2012
Among the many great political MC's like the legendary Chuck D or Immortal Techniue, Lupe Fiasco has taken upon himself to be the number one mainstream political rapper in the game. "Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor" is and still a classic to me, so a sequel to that album has risen a lot of high exectations for me as a Lupe fan. After the mediocre LASERS album he released last year, Lupe had to cover a lot of ground in order to regain back his essence. To me Lupe came correct with Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album Pt. 1, but I will not say it is a direct sequel to his debut album. To me, Food & Liquor II is like a mix between the 1st Food & Liquor and The COOL. The vibe on this album is dark similar to The Cool which isnt a problem for me, however Lupe rarely lightens up on this particular album in lyrics nor sound, with the exception of 2 songs. This album is like one long lecture of Lupe trying to enlighten his listeners, and sometimes it can be a difficult to hear. While I have always enjoyed Lupes political songs, being political on an entire album is a different story. Sometimes it can be an endeavor to listen to the album while trying to decipher his messages, and some songs concepts can be a little misconstrued. For example "Lamborghini Angels" tackles religion, but it's hard to truly grasp the message Lupe is trying to ensue. A lot of his songs on this album are a mixed bag of conscious rap with sooo many topics packed in, that a song's main message can completely fly over peoples heads. That is pretty much the only problem I have with the album, besides that this album is definitely in my top 5 Hip Hop albums of 2012 thus far.

The production in the first half of the album (while sounds good) can be monotonous at times with the exception of "Around My Way" a remake of Pete Rock's classic T.R.O.Y., in which Lupe did wonderful on. Once you get to track 9 "Heart Donor" the sound comepletely shifts into a much more diverse and enjoyable listen with a more upbeat sound that is reminicent of his first album. Keep in my mind, Lupe's lyrics in the first half of the album are still outstanding and filled with great depth particularily "Audobon Ballroom" which tackles racism with a hilarious hook by Lupe in my opinion. The songs he previously released himself are all present and still hold up great. "B**** Bad", probably one of the most important Hip Hop songs released this year contains the most sarcastic and true to form Lupe. If fans remember, Lupe did a song on his first album "Hurt Me Soul" that ties in with his views on B* Bad, which is nice to know that Lupe has been consistant 7 years later. "Battle Scars" is a duet with Australian singer Guy Sebastian, I heard a couple monthes back and it still hasn't grown on me, don't get me wrong I like the message and lyrics, but the song just sounds corny and unoriginal. It disgustingly reminds me of songs like "Mirrors" by Lil Wayne and Bruno Mars, or "Airplanes" by B.o.B and Hayley Williams. The opening track "Strange Fruition" has Lupe collaborating with his longtime producer, Soundtrakk, which is nice to hear since he was absent on LASERS, and its good to hear that they haven't lost a step. This song has an unorthadox hook but it works, Lupe's Lyrics on this song are also one of my personal favorites on the entire album. Songs like "ITAL (Roses)" and "Brave Heart" feature some of the hardest beats on the album, with hard bass and snyths that will just bump in your car. "Heart Donor" and "How Dare You" feat. Bilal are the lightest songs on the album, and sounds a little random on the album, but the lyrics and funky beats balances the album out a little bit. The "Hood Now" outro is a great way to end the album, the moody production and Lupe re-representing the Hood is a great way for him to connect to his people. The best song on the album for me have to "Forms Follow Function" which is Lupe at his absolute best. The production is great with the saxophone creeping in the background and Lupe Fiasco in his purest MC form that correlates to life to the architectural principle form follows function in which the concept of the song derives from. I love the album and everything Lupe has done (Yes even LASERS) and after listening to this album, my anticipation for PART 2 is even greater. I can't wait!!!!

Personal Favorite Tracks
1) Form Follows Function
2) Unforgivable Youth
3) Strange Fruition
4) Brave Heart
5) Around My Way (Freedom Ain't Free)
6) ITAL (Roses)
7) B**** Bad
8) Audubon Ballroom
on October 27, 2012
In an "error" where lyrical gifttedness is almost shunned, it is quite refreshing to know that a high profile artist like Lupe can still have an album produced and distributed while staying true to his original form. Artists inevitably evolve as their careers progress and oftentimes, from an artistic standpoint, stray away from what made them so endeared by the public. After listening to this album, I was very happy to know that he hasn't, for his sake and mine. Bold statement: "One of the most lyrically tight rap albums I've ever heard...real talk" Bravo!!
on October 22, 2012
Love every song on this album. My first favorite was Bitch Bad. When I saw the title I was hoping that Lupe hadn't succumbed to the moronic lyrics common of most hip-hop artists who want more exposure and try to go more mainstream. I was pleasantly surprised (not completely tho) with that track. As usual Lupe mixes dope rhymes and metaphors with positive messages. Wish more hip-hop artists would do the same.
on November 24, 2015
Lupe rights his ship after a disappointing sophomore effort in "The Cool" and also the nearly forgettable 3rd Album "Lasers". Food & Liquor II is the sequel that we were all waiting for. All that is needed is for someone to just press play and each track rides out like first "Food & Liquor". Honestly, one of the best purchases I ever made.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2012
One of my favorite albums now. Love all the songs. Favorite tracks on the album though have to be...

1. Strange Fruition
2. Unforgivable Youth
3. Cold War
4. B*itch Bad
5. Brave Heart
6. Hood now

But ALL of the songs are pretty amazing.

5/5.
on September 26, 2012
Must say...after being quite dissapointed by the Lasers album I was really interested to see what F&L II would be like. But after hearing the singles he released I knew that the Lupe from F&L I and The Cool was back. I like this album A LOT!
on October 29, 2012
Sometimes you listen to an album for the first time and think how hot the beat is. Sometimes you run across an ARTIST and know that the only way to really get this thing is to keep listening. If and when on the 15th listen you love it more than you did the first time around then you know that this thing is something special.

I remember seeing Lupe as an intro for Kanye, house lights not even dimmed, as he performed this strange new song about skateboarding that as alien as it was to my experience I could still appreciate. So many years later I listened to the Lasers albums thinking at first pass...WTF! Kept listening and found it almost an anthem for the dark things I was dealing with at the time.

Heard about this latest one and wondered how things would go this time around. I'm happy to see that he, like me, has grown from then to now. In this one, head held high, he tells me how to use the swagger that is an almost inevitable result of conquering that last great challenge. It's possible (see Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, etc.) to make music with good beats AND a positive message and Lupe has not forgotten this.

So for now this one is my latest anthem. We don't agree on everything but I so appreciate the intent. If you are looking for both entertainment and CONTENT then listen to this album. If your personal experience remotely relates to his and you don't appreciate this one for the amazing work that it is then just keep listening....I expect you'll get it eventually.
on September 26, 2012
Didn't like Lasers? No worries! Lupe is here to save you. FNL2 is an absolute masterpiece, but what really makes it, is it's all black album packaging. ONLY Lupe would ever risk something like that haha. Do yourself a favor and actually buy this album and support great artists like Lupe.
on October 24, 2012
Lupe Fiasco is one of the most conscious artists in the hip-hop world. He makes more popular rap "artists" look like clowns-- well, they do that on their own, but you get it. These tracks are up to par with previous works by Lupe and they actually mean something. You don't hear this guy rap about the same crap everyone else does. He also has enough clout these days to get radio play, which is awesome. Kudos to Lupe for making conscious hip-hop listener-friendly as well. "B*tch Bad" is incredibly smart and catchy, and for the broken-hearted, "Battle Scars" will have you singing along at the top of your lungs. "Form Follows Function," also a gem. BUY THIS ALBUM. SUPPORT ONE OF THE FEW GOOD GUYS IN THIS GAME.
on February 21, 2013
There aren't enough words in the English Dictionary as to how thought provoking, inciting, and sometimes emotional this Album and this Artist are. Just sample the music, you can find his music videos on youtube.com and VEVO. Just buy the Album, you'll thank yourself later.