Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.49

Showing 1-10 of 363 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 499 reviews
on December 23, 2015
I've been a Diana Krall fan for years. This album seems to be veering away from her career path, but that isn't always a bad thing. Artists do that from time to time when exploring other options, but I do have some basic problems with this album.

1. The selling as sex Ms Krall as so many of her latest albums do. Yes, She's hot, but she's also so very talented that she shouldn't be relying on her sex appeal to sell her works.
2. There is a huge lack of her piano playing. This is a woman who can bring out the best in any jazz/blues tune through her playing as well as her singing. She seems to have pushed that part of her talent to the background. That is a shame as that is what drew me to her in the first place.

I'm no tied to her sticking with the standards, but hey, her playing and singing to no matter what venue should be enough to sell an album.
on May 14, 2014
What a combination! Diana Krall's singing and playing, T-Bone's production, and an exploration of musical material that seems to be dissolving in the haze of time. Once again, Diana Krall may be reaching beyond the comfort zones for some listeners, but if you don't put up too much resistance, you may find that she hasn't gone too far afield.

If you think of her track record, she never has kept a straight-line approach throughout her career. She's mixed it up with combos, orchestras, the Great American Song Book, recent pop stuff, and trips to Brazil. Why not step back a little in time? I can't think of any artist that remains viable by performing the same or nearly the same repertoire throughout their entire careers -- unless their careers were extremely short.

With T-Bone adding the deep-color velours and punctuating spices to set the atmosphere, Diana has drenched her piano in the early 20th century where blues & jazz were closer siblings, less complex and musically subtle. If these tunes aren't so complex as her well-known performances from the Great American Song Book, consider that the "Glad Rag Doll" tunes were becoming the Great American Song Book -- just an earlier volume (Think of moving from the saloon to the salon). T-Bone contributes a little rough-brushed suede to Diana's shiny leather performances. Arm-in-arm, Diana and T-Bone are stepping into the salooon and you're invited in to share the fun!
on January 3, 2017
I am a long time fan of Diana Krall and often listen to her songs. This album, however, appears to be an experiment in style and choice of songs.

Although, Ms. Krall is a very talented and has a broad range of musical feelings and tempo, this album seems to have the strong influence of her husband, Elvis Costello, which, in my opinion, is not her style.
on July 17, 2013
I've been a big fan since her first release here in the States. Where the early albums had more of a jazz feel to them and featured a bit more of her piano (which I enjoy, personally) and the following were dominated by lush arrangements of standards and her distinctly sensual vocals which at times came dangerously close to being a caricature of her style, this album is a much different approach in song selection and instrumentation. I delayed buying this one just because of the departure from what we've come to expect from the lady, but after several listenings at different times I'm beginning to like more of the album. Probably just as 'The Girl In The Other Room' will never get as much play on my stereo as her other albums, this will get an occasional spin. I appreciate and understand the need for an artist to grow, but hope the next one will be closer to the groove we associate with her.
on February 14, 2017
I have been re-listening to Diana Krall a lot lately. I have all of her music - I believe this record is the best of the best! All the songs are great. I'm looking forward to her new release - sounds like it will be back to jazz standards. She can do anything well but I believe Glad Rag Doll is her best and Wallflower is a close second!!
on April 17, 2017
not bad, not her best
on October 4, 2013
Bought this CD after seeing Diana Krall perform in concert on tour promoting the album. She's a wonderful performer -- and enjoyed the show enough to purchase the CD. Very talented pianist, singer, arranger, raconteur -- but I enjoy some of her earlier works better. That said, Krall's interested in showing versatility and range in her work -- for an artist, nothing wrong in that.

Though the cover art for the CD may not suggest it, the album has a rather nostalgic feel -- Krall is revisiting some pieces from the '20s and '30s that formed part of her father's record collection.
on November 5, 2013
This is one of the only new albums I own on vinyl. I heard her do a few songs from this album on a tv show... I loved the sound and sampled the rest online and decided to buy it. Listening to this on vinyl has to be the only way. It's amazing and just takes you to another place. I never get tired of listening to it. Just looked it up again to buy as gifts for others this Christmas!
on May 30, 2014
I'm a big fan, but I did not care for the song choices on this one at all. Also, why a woman in her mid-forties, as accomplished as this star is, felt compelled to pose on the cover as if she worked in a New Orleans bordello is beyond me.
on May 2, 2014
I have multiple Diana Krall CD's and with most of them I need to listen to them multiple times before I get a feel for them. This is no exception to that. Although I know the artistry of the album is all it's supposed to be, I'm not sure if it's for me. Lot's of it sounds like maybe it would be in a old west salon. The recording style does not give outstanding sound quality, but I know that's what fits with the theme of the album. The cover ROCKS though!! It's worth getting it just to have it in your collection.