Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on March 6, 2017
Oh its a hidden classic I think. I still get laughs from my wife quoting it, and that was months ago when we saw it. Being from NC makes it even funnier for me. Zack and Will are definitely an unexpected duo to me. You would expect two powerhouse talents to butt heads in a bad way, but with a movie about unethical debating makes it deliciously chaotic. Just like with The Other Guys, expect an underlying critical theme bringing to light unpleasant truths.
on December 25, 2012
I almost didn't order this film after reading some of the reviews, but I did remember seeing a preview in the theatre and let's face it, Amazon had really lowered the price. Most of all, I took a leap of faith in Ferrell and Galifanakis. I am glad I did.

It's not a stretch to call this a Blades of Glory for politics. Ferrell is an over the top candidate parody and Galifanakis plays almost it almost straight with his parody as the challenger. To give it some gravitas, we have Dan Akroyd and John Lithgow as the superfunding Motch brothers, trying to buy the election. The film even has cameos by Chris Matthews, Wolf Blitzer, Morning Joe's Joe and Mika, etc. Even Piers Morgan has a bit - how did they get all of these people?

There is lots of broad comedy here and lots of sight gags. It is not sophisticated, but it is not meant to be. However, a good deal of it is plain hilarious. The scene of Will Ferrell's character trying to recite the Lord's Prayer at a campaign event with his campaign manager, Jason Sudekis, trying to prompt him by acting out the words is one of the funniest things I have seen on film in a very long time.

Probably the best thing I can say about this film is that I sure wish I could have been on-set while this was being made - everyone sure looks like they were having a good time!
on May 10, 2017
so hilarious. I had to reorder this comedy. Those two act so well together. I will practically watch anything that they make together because I know I'm n for a laugh.
on September 18, 2013
Let's see...a sex scandal, a politician's wife with her own aspirations, a campaign between opposing political interests, wealthy folks with their own interests, religon being used as a political tool...MY GOD! This isn't a film, it's a documentary. If you see anything in this movie that hasn't in some way happened in real-life politics at one point or another, please raise your hand. Anyway, film or documentary or whatever, this is still worth watching. Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis come together as a seasoned political veteran looking to keep his job and a somewhat simplistic newcomer to the world of campaigns and vote-getting. Katherine LaNasa plays Mr. Ferrell's equally political and self-absorbed wife (anyone flashing back to Leslie Bib in Taladegia Knights right now?) and John Lithgow and Dan Aykroyd perfectly play wealthy brothers who are constantly scheming, even against each other. Complimenting the stars is a host of supporting characters, including real-life individuals such as CNN reporters Wolf Blitzer and Piers Morgan and political talk show host and comedian Bill Maher. If you wanna get some laughs while maybe learning a thing or two about today's politics in America, this is the DVD to get. There's even at least one hidden Redneck joke in there...see if you can find it. Enjoy. I know one thing, Dylan McDermott does make sure this doesn't suck.
on July 19, 2015
It's not Old School or Anchorman, but this is solidly in the upper-middle tier of Will Ferrell's cinematic output. In the words of Andy Samberg as Nicolas Cage, this has all of the classic features of a high-quality Will Ferrell film. That is, Ferrell playing a character who is completely clueless, has a heart of gold somewhere deep down there, but can't help but be continually led astray by his massive ego and his carnal desires. By re-situating classic Ferrell elements in the character of a John Edwards-esque southern politician, it stays fresh. The physical comedy and ridiculous improvised riffing are in full effect, showing some of that familiar sparkle that made Old School and Anchorman (and, to a lesser extent, Ricky Bobby and Blades of Glory) so magical. Also, did I mention that we've got Zach G essentially doing a much more likable version of the "Seth Galifianakis" alter ego from his Purple Onion stand-up special, and that alone is worth the price of admission. Finally, there's a solid supporting cast.

Just be warned: Do not attempt to run a political ad featuring Cam Brady's son. It will not end well for you or your spouse.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 15, 2017
If you are in the mood for an irreverent, mindless comedy, this is for you. Relentless comedy. Gifted cast.
on December 1, 2015
Funny and hilarious movie. If you like Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis humor than you will love this movie because they did a wonderful job acting together. I have watched more than a couple of times and still laugh like I watch it for the first time.
on December 31, 2012
I'm giving this 5 stars because it is a really funny movie Until you realize oh my gosh, this is so true! I'd say it's only a slightly exaggerated version of the truth. We need more guys like Ron Paul and fewer like those portrayed here who are too much like the real characters we have running the country. The writers did go way overboard on vulgarity and language when it really wasn't necessary. It took away much more than it added. Every vulgar scene could have been rewritten leaving more to the imagination and would have worked as well or better. I guess that takes talent to do.
on February 14, 2017
Super funny, One of Will Ferrell's funniest movies I've ever watched!
on July 18, 2017
Hilarious movie that was progressive at the time, but now it hits a little too close to home. Worth buying and not just renting it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse