Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

• Pines
  • Customer reviews

Showing 1-10 of 43 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 69 reviews
on October 16, 2012
Alison has always proven to be an amazing storyteller and she showcases her skills even more so on Pines. Many of the songs are slow but they are hauntingly beautiful. The songs have layers of depth but are simplistic in style; you can tell that every note, every sound, every instrument in the music was put there intentionally to help tell the story that Alison wanted told.

The emotions throughout the album ebb and flow with each song. There are periods where the songs are slow, and even a bit sad, and then a faster track kicks in. I feel that the album needs to be viewed as a whole, and not necessarily picked apart song by song. It represents a person finding themself, (which is resolved at the end, made clear by songs like "It's Alive" and "Now Is The Start") but not before long periods of sadness and frustration. It may be a bit shocking to hear a faster track amidst a sea of sadder songs but it is true to life; our emotions change minute by minute, day by day, and I feel that the album does an excellent job of making that point and taking you on the rollercoaster of emotions a person feels while trying to figure out who they are.

This is her most personal album yet and the emotion and conviction with which she sings the songs makes that evident. This album is a true beauty.
on November 5, 2012
Listening to A Fine Frenzy's newest album, PINES, I was somewhat bewildered. I frequently checked the MP3 player to ensure that I was indeed listening to Alison Sudol. While I absolutely love this album, I'm not sure how most of her fans will receive it.

ONE CELL IN THE SEA was a pretty straight-forward pop record. Sudol's voice and piano were frequently dominating the mix, but at the core of it, the album was a solid work from a great songwriter. Her second full-length album, BOMB IN A BIRDCAGE, was a bit different. It didn't feel exactly like a pop record -- Sudol's willingness to try new things made the album different from its predecessor and (at least for me) a great success. Alison Sudol's third album really comes from left field. Because BOMB IN A BIRDCAGE dabbled in atmostpherics and electronics, I was expecting something similar, but PINES a stripped down, minimalist affair.

From the very first track, it's obvious that this album is going to be different than anything A Fine Frenzy has ever done before. The introductory track, "Pinesong" is slow to begin, and it leads with a wonderful acoustic guitar riff. The only thing recognizable here is Alison Sudol's wonderful voice -- these songs do have hints of her songwriting, but for the most part, it feels dramatically different. I honestly don't know if I have seen such a leap in songwriting: PINES is mature, confident, and vulnerable. "Riversong" feels like a reverent prayer to nature, and "Dream in the Dark" barely contains more than just Sudol's vocals. This song sets the pace for most of the songs to come, and mostly, the spare, lonely atmospheres that are created here having a huge beating heart at the core of them. The tone is so consistent that when "It's Alive" comes in with its electronics and percussion, it's a bit jarring, even though his song sounds like something we would have expected from A Fine Frenzy.

While I have to say that this is my favorite A Fine Frenzy record to date, it's not without its few problems. The album isn't always consistent: "It's Alive," and "Now is the Start" sound like songs that would have been prepared for BOMB IN A BIRDCAGE. The melodies aren't as strong here either: there's no "Almost Lover" or "Electric Twist" that are immediately accessible. I don't know if I would blindly recommend this to other A Fine Frenzy -- I would strongly recommend fans to sample this album before diving in. Fans of Sara Bareilles and Norah Jones should find a good bit here to love. The minimal instrumentation might not be everyone's cup of tea. Essential tracks to sample/download: "Pinesong," "Winds of Wander," and "It's Alive."
on March 17, 2015
I like "A Fine Frenzy" very much. Clearly alternative but gentle and soothing. Her album, "Pines" seems to be more "project" oriented and has a storyline to follow, but I do prefer her previous, 2007 release, "One Cell In The Sea" over this one, though Pines is wonderful as well. Alison's vocals, wording and phrasing are compelling and delightful. I am anxious to see a new release (hopefully) soon! I gave this 3 Stars, rather than 4 since I gave her 2007 release a 4 star rating. Still, this album is worth having if you like this style.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon October 30, 2012
I have been a fan for some time, liking all of her previous work very much. This CD is much different and shows a new and beguiling side of Ms. Sudol. Much more introverted and moody, it delves deeper into the themes of figuring out what life is all about. I need to listen much more to unravel all the threads, but the CD has already grabbed me and ensured that I will be making that journey. The usual accomplished lyrics, melody, arrangements and production values are all here. The sound ranges from quiet to lively, but definitely feels more intimate overall.

I need to listen more, but wanted to give my thumbs up now as there are only a few reviews so far, though mostly very positive. This is a great "late night" CD.

It's wonderful to see this artist continue to grow and mature as a song writer and performer.
on December 19, 2012
This is my third CD by A Fine Frenzy. The initial single (a free single from Itunes) is an upbeat and optimistic song that dances in your head and sweeps out negativity. The rest of the album seems more like what I expect from Fine Frenzy. Meaningful lyrics, sweet voice, pulling for an emotional connection from the listener. And then there is the Whale song. This track is an instrumental but still creates the emotional pull. My first Frenzy CD was One Cell in the Sea and I still like it best. But I am glad I bought the others, too.
on June 10, 2014
Seriously love this band, and Allison is the sweetest in person! The CD was definitely different than the other two but I love everything she writes. For some reason, this girl really gets me. Anyway, it came quickly, works great, and I listen to it all the time, so thanks!
on December 26, 2012
I like A Fine Frenzy, but I would probably rank this after One Cell in the Sea and Bomb in a Birdcage.
Many of the songs are pretty mellow, and would serve better if listening with earphones while enjoying nature. I recommend listening to this if you're on a road trip and there's some nice scenery.

There are some standouts: Avalanches, Sailingsong, It's Alive, Now is the Start, and Untitled (Grasses Grow). Alison Sudol's voice is as good as ever.
on December 24, 2012
i like it. mostly an acoustic natural sound. a couple songs like " a new start" are nice but do not represent the album.
on November 25, 2013
My husband and I are big Fine Frenzy fans so when I saw she had a new album out I bought it. It did not feel like her other albums and I have only listened to it a few times so far. Maybe if I continue listening more it will grow on me. Just a little different style for her and I have to get used to it I guess.
on October 16, 2012
Alison Sudol's third album under the moniker A FINE FRENZY finds the artist evolving with a concept album dealing with the weighty issues of what it is to lack meaning and of finding one's purpose in this life. Before one can appreciate what the album is, one must first understand what it is not. It is not a retread of the previous two albums - it is not a collection of catchy tunes and memorable hooks. What it is is a journey capturing the emotions that begin with a sense of loss, continues into a search for meaning, and ends with the revelation of where that meaning is derived. Those who would demand that Alison retain the same sound they've enjoyed in previous albums will be largely let down here. I'll be blunt about this - it's not musically as strong or diverse as what we've heard from her before - but digging deeper into the poetry of the writing, one will find a treasure worth seeking.

On the surface, the work is presented as a fable of a lone tree, the last remnant of a once great forest, literally pining for the life that once was, but is now lost. As the album unfolds, the tree is given the ability to leave where it has been rooted and set off in search of what it lost. But it discovers along the journey that one cannot find what one has lost - rather, one finds a NEW START.

Now, I can't speak for what Alison had in mind as she wrote many of these songs - but to me, there is an element here of what it is to first confront that awful chasm of adulthood that greets us all when we first step out of our childhood and realize it's "all on us now!" We long, sometimes, for the simple joys of our youth when everything seemed easy and happy - and many adults will lose years, even decades, refusing to grow up - finding ever more destructive ways through ever more destructive relationships, to try to "get back" to that feeling. But the revelation that hopefully comes to us sooner, rather than later, is that we cannot go back to the old life, but rather it is now our job to make a NEW life!

Musically, the album is a pretty bold departure from her first two works - which were much more melodic and peppy - verging on pop in some cases. Here, she has scaled back a lot of the production and many of the tracks slow to a snail's pace, to then be revived by a suddenly upbeat follow up track. Reading some of the reviews (and judging from my own first impression) this different approach is turning some fans off. I myself was a little confused the first time through.

It wasn't until I read up on the intent of the album, watched a track-by-track interview with the artist, and watched the short film she wrote to accompany the album (which you can find on Youtube by searching "The Story Of Pines" ) that I started to really hear the whole album. When you understand the flow of it, suddenly the full weight of it hits you! And the songs that appear to be complete changes of pace actually make sense when you understand where you are in the "story." This is a concept album, and concept albums have the one weakness that you often cannot pick songs out individually and call them "hits." Every song works together - some songs don't "pay off" until you listen to the next track. This is an album that must be listened to in a single and undistracted sitting, which can be a challenge as it clocks in at well over an hour. But it's worth it!

Those who loved her epic orchestrations on ONE CELL or her pop hooks on BIRDCAGE, may very well find this album off putting. It's a shame, because it is thematically a VERY profound work - and the orchestration of each track perfectly fits that flow of the story. I love that Alison has taken this risk - it put me off at first, I admit - but it quickly grew on me, and I'm finding this to be one of the best albums of this year!

I can't honestly say that I prefer this new album to her previous works, but I definitely am enjoying it - regardless of where it ranks, A FINE FRENZY still remains one of my favorite artists!

Well done, Alison!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I will attempt a track-by-track description of the album - this is all based on my own reading of the lyrics, of course, so I could be way off. NOTE: The ratings don't necessarily denote the goodness or badness of the songs, but more the degree to which I felt they belong on the album.

PINESONGS (5 out of 5) - one of the best songs, a perfect piece to start with, sets the theme in motion about loss and pining for the past.

WINDS OF WANDER (4 out of 5) - the tree decides to stop pining and set out in search of what was lost

AVALANCHES (5 out of 5) - written by Alison on the occasion of her friend having a baby, the song serves both as a promise by the tree to protect the creatures that rest in its branches, and an anthem for parents who similarly promise their children the same protection - beautiful song.

The next three songs are probably where Alison loses a lot of the casual viewers, as the pace of the album slows to a near full stop...

RIVERSONG (4 out of 5) - deals with feeling a lack of purpose as the tree looks for love in those who, though willing, are simply unable to give it what it needs. The subtlety of the orchestration aptly matches the theme.

THE SIGHTING (3 out of 5) - an otherworldly piece in which the tree expresses that love is like a figure on a cliff that cannot be reached - we sometimes want to bring love down to OUR level, but it asks us to rise to its level instead, which we cannot do until we cast off our encumbrances. It's a lonely, hollow track - it's a decent song, but could maybe have been left off to better keep up the album's pace.

DREAM IN THE DARK (2 out of 5) - a simple lullaby, just Alison and a mandolin, musing on the moment of giving up searching for what was lost and can never be found. Between the choice to record this with a lowfi sound, and the fact that the next song picks up the same theme but in a much more positive manner, this is another song that, while lovely, could have been left off the album.

SAILINGSONG (5 out of 5) another of the album's best - finally infusing some hope and energy back into the proceedings. The tree has given up the search for what was, and is instead heading off to sea to find a new meaning, while the refrain echoes "You can't go back, no, you can't go back!" AFF fans will love this one.

SADSEASONG (2 out of 5) - evocative song of loneliness in the journey, what it means to live a life without meaning ... a fine song on its own, and I do understand its function on the album, particularly as it sets up the next track, but once again the album slows to a halt when it feels like it should be moving, following the last piece - I would probably have left this one off.

THEY CAN'T IF YOU DON'T LET THEM (4 out of 5) - this is cool song from Alison, pretty unique - detailing the perils of falling in with the wrong crowd, settling for instant happiness with the wrong people, rather than holding firm to the voice that has been guiding you toward a better, though difficult destination.

DANCE OF THE GREY WHALES (2 out of 5) - a short and wordless piano piece - once again, lovely in itself, but largely unnecessary at this point in the album.

IT'S ALIVE (4 out of 5) - the final leg of the album kicks off with a high-energy track, finally letting go of the ghosts of the past to embrace the future.

NOW IS THE START (5 out of 5) - the album's climactic moment is a wonderful song of rapturous joy! After such a long and dark journey, the revelation comes that meaning is found in the beginning of a new life. Whatever it is you've lost - childhood, a loved one, a job, a home... no matter what, you can't go back, but you can go forward, and find the new... this one of Alison's most exciting and joyous tracks - very wonderful, a great payoff to the entire album.

UNTITLED (2 out of 5) - I'm puzzled with the last piece - I think the album really should have ended with NOW IS THE START and the joy that erupts from it. But Alison goes once more to the slower and mournful, with a hint of hope in the chorus.