Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 502 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 549 reviews
on July 2, 2013
Bought for some around the house projects, including drilling into wood and metal. Price was great for included case, and extra battery and very fast charger. Feels sturdy, no wobbling, good power.

update 11/4/2013:
Ok, after several projects, including metal and wood, a few with a hole saw, this drill does wobble now. The chuck seems to be the cheap part of the drill. Still a lot of torque, and the wobble is not too bad with shorter bits, but with longer bits and drilling larger holes, the drill will be moving around. minus a star.

Update 11/13/2013:
Was using it to unscrew a few things, the drill became stuck in the on position. The trigger was not depressed, but it stayed on until i removed the battery. It is still under warranty, so i will take to a service center, but for a new drill, this is disappointing. They don't make 'em like they used to. minus another star.

Update 11/26/2013:
Not only would the drill get stuck in the on position, but when it was not, the variable speed feature was gone. Only full speed. Took it to the factory service center, and they took the drill and sent me a new kit in about a week. Their customer service gets another star. Still feels lower quality than some older drills, but overall good experience.
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2014
Small -good small:), lightweight, powerful and compact but it started to act up right away. At first I thought the trigger was going out and that was only after a few days of minimum use. It appeared at first that it acted up only with one of the batteries so I messaged the seller and got a quick reply and then I called Porter Cable support and explained to them the issue and they said they would send another battery to replace the "bad" one and lo and behold, they sent me 2!!! That was cool except that the new one's are red and the original's are gray and black!! Since then after continuing to use the drill it still acts up as if the trigger is going out - it stops after a few minuttes of use and then I have to pull the trigger again to start up the motor again:(:( Not good.
I'm off work now but when I return to work and use it again we'll see if it's just the one battery or if the unit itself is bad and will have to replace it if it's defective., Stand by!:):)
on April 8, 2015
I absolutely love this drill! the power is great and it even looks the part! very cool design! very science fiction looking! battery charges super fast I had the battery on the charger while I was reading the instructions and when I was finished reading them it was charged already!! that's pretty fast! only thing is this drill said it comes with the black hard case but when I received it, just a porter cable bag was there instead. was very disappointed with that so I told amazon customer service about the error and they are refunding me some money for the error wich is very nice of them to do!!.no real big deal though that bag is also pretty decent fits more than the case would have anyway. this drill out performs my last one making that one look like just a wimpy screwdriver! checked a lot of reviews and decided on this drill even though I never heard of porter cable :) apparently they have been around a real long time and have been the innovators of many of the first power tools around! nice to know! this is such a cool drill if you are having doubts just buy this thing!! feels solid and as good as a dewalt or similar brand :) had it a few days and its great more than meets expectation and with it being bought here on amazon you cant go wrong! shipped superfast and they price matched the price that was on here a week ago! don't know why the price went up but since they credited me the difference was a no brainer. thanks amazon for such good products and customer service!! alex p. i put up a picture of the bag it comes with in case any ones curious on buying this....
review image
on April 26, 2017
okay, Porter Cable, i really didn't need the NASCAR IN SPACE design ethic for a screwgun.... but, i guess its all the rage? Still, you just cant beat the 20V Lithium battery. i really wanted to get another DeWalt, but their comparable priced 18V tools are all NiMH batteries, and reviews aren't so great on the new tools' construction until you go up the price scale.. This tool feels solid and has great power. 1/2" metal chuck feels great. i hope it lasts.

(But seriously, PC, your design department needs to slow their roll. it looks like a basketball shoe.)
on May 15, 2016
My father in law owns this exact drill. He and my husband recently did a project over the weekend and they used this drill. The project went so much faster. My father in law had recently purchased the drill and both he and my husband were ranting and raving about how wonderful it is. My husband told me he wanted one, so I went on the search to find it.. Hoping to find it at a decent price. I looked at the big box stores to see how much they were charging.. Then looked at Amazon. There was literally a $50 difference on the price, with Amazon being cheaper. I was sold. I immediately purchased it. It came two days later (Amazon prime is the best!) and we immediately put it to use. The drill is lighter in weight than most drills , it is very hardy, and high powered. I think this drill will last forever! Projects will absolutely go faster, and easier. Thanks!
on October 17, 2015
I had inherited an old Black and Decker drill. I used it constantly, but always hated it, and would complain about it in my head every time I used it. Since I use a drill more than any other power tool--I do a lot of shelf-installing and DIY stuff--I figured, why be unhappy and complain about this thing all the time? I have a Porter Cable jigsaw, and love it, so I figured that this would be a wise purchase. Normally I prefer corded power tools, but for a drill, I want it to be easy and quick to just pick up and use. I'm glad I got this. One battery is always in the charger (the instructions say that's ok) and so if it starts seeming sluggish, I just switch them, and blammo--it's back to 100%.

I like the torque, and the ratcheting chuck, and find that it does the job I want it to do very well. I never complain about my drill anymore!

I did notice (after buying this) that there was a special double set with this drill and the impact. Oh well. So to any future buyers, if the double pack is available, maybe get that. I hear impact drills are game changers!
on December 10, 2014
I am a proud Porter Cable customer since purchasing this drill and various other 20v MAX products in recent months.
Pros:
Weight and balance is good, especially compared to "higher-end" competitors
Build quality feels strong, durable
Power and action are adequate for most jobs
Battery life is strong (though I do recommend a backup)
Clutch and bit transfer is easy and solid
Cons:
The 2 magnetic bit holders are adequate for smaller bits, but not for longer bits or attachments
The belt clip shown in the images did NOT come included with the drill. They are also hard to find sold seperately

Overall, I am completely satisfied with this drill. After using 19v Craftsman drills for many years, I switched to PC because of the cost. I would prefer a brushless drill, but I do not have any regrets about purchasing this drill over Milwaukee, Dewalt, etc.
No, I am not a pro, but I probably fall in the category of average(or above) handy-man/DIY homeowner. I don't have any doubts that this drill would stack up to the competition, but the price/value is an excellent advantage.
When buying, also consider the fact that there are numerous other power tools in the 20v MAX lineup that use the same battery.
on August 2, 2016
I bought one of these for my son 2.5 years ago. When my 14.5V Ryobi (3/8") quit holding a charge while unused on the third battery I bought, I asked him how's the Porter-Cable working. He said it's the best, so I bought one for myself. I don't use it often, but when I break it out, the batteries (both of them) are fully charged. I can't believe the torque on this drill-driver and it's small and 1/2 inch drive to boot. One of the best tools I've ever bought.
on August 10, 2015
I love this tool /Holds charge /not too heavy/ ease of use/ 2 nifty magnets on top to hold bits. I wasted so much on those cheaper drills & wish I bought this sooner/ serious tool and I only use my plug in for masonry now. So convenient. Comfortable and nicely weighted/ designed to easily hold and use. I have a medium/ small woman's hand. Case is also well made and has secure metal clasps UPDATE 5 years old and it still going strong and with superb battery life. I haul out my hammer drill sometimes for cement block drilling but typically use this drill for all my drilling needs.
on June 8, 2015
Great one for a beginner. This particular one I bought comes with a smaller battery. Not only that, but it takes 4 hours to charge. It does last a while, though. Most importantly, it vibrates slightly (off center), so the long, thin holes to be drilled and not always precise.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.