Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kidz Bop All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 22, 2012
Package Type: Standard Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I never considered buying a Keurig Coffee Brewer due to the high cost for the maker, the cost per cup of coffee, and the mixed reviews on flavor. When I received my " ", I wasn't expecting too much, but was pleasantly surprised and impressed. I went out and found my favorite "Eight O'Clock" brand coffee available in K-Cups and on sale at my local supermarket. Setting up and using the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew was simple and fast. My first cup of K-Cup coffee came out perfect. I was impressed. Despite maxing out the water capacity at around 10-12oz, the coffee was not weak or odd tasting. It was a perfect cup of coffee. Next, I tried brewing a regular cup of coffee using standard coffee grounds. The results were good, but not as good as my old $14 Black and Decker 1 cup "Brew N Go" coffee maker. The coffee was good, but tasted a little "off". I tried a couple of other cups adjusting the amount of coffee, but the results were the same. It was by no means bad, but I just like the taste of my old maker, and the K-Cup coffee better. Brew time was fast. It takes a little longer to start brewing, but once it starts, it flows faster than my old machine. Total time is about the same. About 3-4 minutes. One thing that is much better than my old machine is that the FlexBrew's coffee is hotter. All in all, the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew Single-Serve Coffeemaker is an impressive machine, at a very good price. As long as you're not looking to make a large cup of coffee, I recommend it.

Pros:
Very good tasting coffee.
Less than 1/2 the price of an average Keurig machine.
Compatible with coffee grounds, K-Cup packs, or soft pods.
Easy to use and convenient.
Well built with stainless steel and dishwasher safe removable plastic parts.

Cons:
K-Cup packs cost per cup.
Maximum 10-oz brewing capacity.
Travel mug not included.
Results using regular coffee grounds are good, not great.

Update 02/2013:
I left my original review up to show that I was at one time happy with this machine. Unfortunately, 2 months later that is no longer the case. I'm experiencing the same "water shooting all over the place" that others reported. The problem are that the nozzle that punctures the K-Cup is either no longer sharp enough to puncture the K-Cup fully, it gets clogged with coffee, or it has shifted to the point it is no longer puncturing it correctly. Either way, these are serious flaws that seems to pop up over time, or in the cases of some other reviewers, affects the coffeemaker right out of the box. Another issue is that sometimes it punctures the cup correctly, but water pressure builds up shooting water all over my kitchen after brewing a partial cup of coffee. I definitely can no longer recommend the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew Single-Serve Coffeemaker.

Update 03/11/13:
I received a replacement unit from Hamilton Beach. The first thing I noticed is that the new coffee maker comes with another basket for using coffee grounds. This extra basket was not included with the first coffee maker. I've used the coffee maker several times using grounds and K-Cups. So far it works perfectly. I'm skeptical though since my first one worked perfectly too when I first used it. Has the design been improved, and the bugs worked out? Only time will tell, but it is only fair to report that Hamilton Beach seemed concerned about the problems being reported, and they did send me a working machine.

Final Update 03/14/13: Well, it didn't take long for my replacement coffee maker to show its true colors. After brewing about 10 or so K-Cup cups of coffee without incident, the new HB 49995 coffee maker decided to spray hot water all over my kitchen. It brewed about 1/2 the cup normally as it should, but apparently as some others have pointed out, the HB 49995 just isn't strong enough to force the water through the K-Cups all the time, resulting in pressure buildup until the water has no place else to go but out the top of the K-Cup holder and all over your kitchen. This is 2 coffee makers now that exhibit the same exact problems using the K-Cups recommended by Hamilton Beach. I'm done messing with this thing, and highly recommend you look elsewhere.
4646 comments| 511 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2012
I am very fussy about my coffee maker. If the appliance is too expensive, too bulky, too complicated, too messy to clean up, etc., it doesn't stand a chance in my three cup a day kitchen. We got this little beauty day before Thanksgiving, just in time for the holiday dessert table. I can't say enough about it! There are three ways to make your favorite coffee: 1. regular ground coffee goes into the basket (no filter needed) or 2. you can use a coffee pod or finally, for those who like variety, 3. K-Cups are easily inserted into the removeable slide-in tray. To allow for two sizes of coffee cups, the lower portion of the unit lets you place either a large travel mug on top, or flip it over for a higher ledge to place a smaller mug. Water in the back, press the button, and within minutes you're drinking a hot cup of joe! Realizing it's only a single cup machine, we don't expect to use this when we have more than a small handful of guests. But for the daily cups there is nothing better. We love how quickly you clean up, a simple rinse of the grinds from the basket and you're set for the next cup. Instructions say to run a solution of 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup water through the unit every month or so to clean it out. This makes more sense than the more costly machines that require descaling and fancy solutions in order to keep the coffee tasting great. It's a tall and thin machine, so you easily slide it beside other kitchen appliances without taking up much counter space. Black and stainless steel finish go with everything. I have other Hamilton Beach kitchen apppliances and honestly have not been disappointed yet. This coffee maker is a keeper!
1010 comments| 426 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 11, 2017
Great little coffee maker. Easy to use, works well for tea, k-cups or ground coffee. Absolutely love it, and its better than my Keurig because I get more water. No more half cups of coffee! Takes a little longer to brew but the water is good and hot. Love this little machine.
on December 1, 2013
i like this better than the keurig mini, but still dont love this one either. it is big enough to put a travel mug under, so that is a definite plus. but, the top where you put the water in isn't very big and i spill water all over the counter while filling it. also, when you brew hot cocoa, or cappuccino, or any sugary beverage really, it makes a big mess inbetween the kcup holder and filter. so, make sure you run an extra "cleaning cycle" after each cup that you brew to get all the leftovers out of the machine. for the price, i think it works well if you don't want to shell out for a $130 Keurig that works, but with a few improvements, this could be much better.
on April 23, 2013
After reading all the reviews, was hesitant, but the coffee maker works great. I have only used k-cups (any brand) and have not used grounds yet. Also have only used a regular-sized coffee mug and not a travel mug. I can see where there would be trouble if you don't insert the k-cup right. You can insert it totally flush with the top without puncturing the back. If you do not hear a pop, take out and try again. They have all sorts of stickers on the coffee maker now, so maybe that was after some complaints because it reminds you to press the handle down before brewing also. You'll see. Concerning overflow, haven't had the problem. I measured the amount of water needed for the coffee cup and use only that amount in the resevoir. Concerning the time it takes to brew, yes, takes a little longer. My Mr. Coffee at the house (for k-cups) takes about 2 minutes. This one takes about 4 minutes. Not a big deal. It doesn't make too much noise either, which is important to me at work because I'm in a cube setup. I like this coffee maker, though, and love the price - shipping was fast, too! :)
on July 29, 2014
It doesn't make a cup of coffee as fast as a keurig but the fact that it brews k-cups, grounds and discs is outstanding. I ordered 2 of these one for work and one for home. The one I have at the office is being used by several people and hasn't skipped a beat yet.

I would order another one if the need arises and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
on January 10, 2014
I got this for myself for Christmas because I needed something in which to brew my own coffee in my own office. We have office coffee, but by the time I go back for a 2nd cup the pot is empty and it too late in the morning to justify brewing another pot.

This is a quite nice size. It doesn't take up much space on my desk. The black and stainless design is nice and stylish.

I think it brews a nice cup of coffee. I use the Maxwell House and Caribou K-Cups and have no problems with leaking grounds. Mine came with a removable filter, which I assume is for more finely ground coffee. I tried it with some of the Caribou French roast we that we use for our office coffee, and it brewed a nice cup. There was a little sludge in the bottom of the cup, but no grounds, so it wasn't a big deal.

I would have given this 5 stars, but I was disappointed by the water capacity. I knew it was only 8-10 cups when I ordered it, but that seemed larger in my head than it was in reality. I did work around that by simply filling my Tervis with water every morning and pouring it, but a larger reservior would be nice. Also, there's a flap on the bottom of the insert that's a little too sensitive and it pops down when I push the bar down. Not the end of the world, but kind of a pain.

Overall I would recommend this coffee maker if you're looking for something that is small and givew you brewing options and don't mind a smaller cup.
on June 15, 2013
I used it to make a cup of coffee using a kcup. Made a great cup of coffee. I also tried using a pod. That did well also. When I used coffee ground it made a mess.
I filled the grounds to the fill line. All when well until the end of the brewing cycle. It spit grounds all over the coffee cup. While I was sure I had not over filled the grounds, I tired again. This time I used a measuring spoon and put in the correct amount. Again it made a mess.

A few other reviewers stated they had this problem. Maybe this one is defective. Back it goes.
on November 15, 2013
I bought this to replace my first Keurig one cupper. It works really well and takes up a bit less room than the first machine. I like that I can make a taller cup of coffee although my travel mug is too tall to fit it. I also like that I can add more water to get a bigger cup of coffee. I haven't yet tried to use the filter to use straight grounds instead of a k-cup but I will. It does slice the k-cup (rather than poking holes in the top and bottom) so the plastic cups aren't reusable with disposable filters. But since it has a reusable mesh filter that you can brew coffee one cup at a time without a k-cup, that isn't a problem with this brewer.

I'm tempted to buy another one to use at work.
on June 12, 2014
One k-Cup at a time this maker is a real cool deal! It makes a HOT cup of coffee! real HOT temperature when finished.
works with all K-Cup brands. Also you can use ground coffee with a quick change of the basket. Easy to use. makes a fast great cup of coffee. Small footprint on the shelf. You do load the water one cup at a time.

Note: There is no water reservoir . You pore the amount of water you need for the cup you are using in the back when you make a cup of coffee/tea etc. But I like this feature! I don't want two day old water in my coffee anyway! Fresh water is the best! It goes in the back and fast extremely hot coffee in a just a few mins.

Fantastic deal for the price!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.