Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,805 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,130 reviews
on November 12, 2013
Look, the appeal of this film could not be any more obvious. But if you're somehow, for whatever psychotic reason, on the fence about seeing it, just read this paragraph and answer the question that follows:

Sylvester Stallone, Chuck Norris, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Jason Statham, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Bruce Willis walk into a room with lots of things that can explode. They shoot everything in the room while cracking amusing one-liners at each other, quite a few in-jokes, and totally absurd noise and action. Jean-Claude Van Damme has a one-on-one showdown with Stallone at one point.

I just described exactly what the point of this movie is in three sentences. There is nothing else that needs to be said. So, ask yourself, does this scenario appeal to you, or are you of such astoundingly poor judgment that you expected something different, much in the same way someone looking at a clear day would expect a sky colored something other than blue? If yes, great. Ignore everyone else and go see it, you'll be entertained. If not, you're so narcissistic you never would have liked this film to begin with at any point, and your ego is eating itself if you give this film a poor review on grounds it never promised in the first place.

The only real problem in this film is that it's lacking in the Jet Li department. Which is really unfortunate, as he was great in the first one. Not sure what happened there, but he's not around for most of the film, which sort of sucks. So if you're here to see Li and to not see him would make you cry regardless of anything else, you should not watch this film.

That's as deep as it goes. If you saw it by choice, then you expected correctly what the film was going to deliver all along. If you expected differently, short of being deceived by someone else who lied about what the COVER was about, then it's very likely that you're suffering from a severe psychosis and could benefit from treatment. You're also probably a harsh critic of the Transformers films and referred to them as "dumb action flicks" as an insult. This is an added indication that you should never review anything, ever again, because you've failed to develop the basic cognitive ability to know that people can enjoy exactly those films, and your opinion on movies may as well be a review on how provolone cheese is better than Swiss cheese. It's just as valid, really.
on December 25, 2013
Stallone gives up directing duties to Simon West for this second installment of The Expendables. The first Expendables was a classic in it's own right of paring the big action stars of the 1980s and 1990s together. Stallone did a good job with trying to direct and star for that movie. As he has done with other films in his long career as a star/director. This time around Simon West give us a sequel that lives up will with the first one and at times is more fun than the original. But overall both these film are about equal to each other. I was a big fan of most of these stars in the prime of there careers and it's good to see them all in one film together.
For the sequel Jean-Claude Van Damme is the main bad guy and Chuck Norris joins the cast in a cameo. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, and Dolph Lundgren get more screen time than they did in the first. And Jet Li's part is pretty much reduced down to a cameo appearance.(I guess Li didn't want a big part in this one. But it's still good to see him in the film.) Sylvester Stallone and Jason Statham are the central characters, just like in the first. With Terry Crews, Randy Couture,and Dolph Lundgren along for the ride. I'm glad to see Lundgren get a bigger part this time around. In the first, his character was kicked out of the group for substance problems and reckless behavior. Then he turns against the group for revenge and gets defeated (I'm not going to say how. For the ones that haven't seen the first one.). And ends up missing the action packed fight at the end. In this one Lundgren has recovered from his problems and is a team player. His character also at times is the comic relief. The man has had some good movies in the past. He has had some decent ones that went straight to video that went unnoticed. To bad bigger studios didn't give him more of a chance.
All in all, The Expendables 2 is a great movie. it's good to see all the big action stars of yesterday in a movie together. This one is worth checking out if your a fan of these stars or over the top action.
on November 30, 2012
Being a fan of most of the stars in this movie, I am biased...very biased. The action is great. Lots of gun play with hits that are more realistic than I have seen before. When a human body gets hit with a .50 round, he doesn't just slump over like in the 1960's TV shows (Combat or Rat Patrol). Here we see massive gore, body parts and parts of body parts flying away. The stunt folks take the hits accurately too, none of that "slumping over into an eternal snooze" --these folks look like they were hit with a high-powered round.

Excellent job in the hand-to-hand department, although for my money there could have been a lot more of that and a few less one liners. But I confess, some of the one liners were LOL funny! I won't spoil it here, because I detest movie spoiling. Suffice to say I am not given to laugh out loud, especially when I am alone. Some of the humor bits really were perfect! The exchange between Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger during the big battle scene was HILARIOUS! I am shocked that Van Damme agreed to play the bad guy. He should have because in my book he is the least likeable. Just to have a movie with this kind of a cast is the very definition of EPIC. In that respect it was like The Dirty Dozen, my favorite old school war movie.

This is one of those movies that make you saw to yourself, "I never thought I'd see all these great action actors together in the same movie, I am so glad this happened in my life time!" I am so glad I took time out today to watch this movie. It was well worth the rental and I am probably going to buy it as well.

And I am glad I could share a few thoughts with you as well. I hope you will watch it now. Enjoy the movie.

Rob
on February 23, 2015
Better than the 1st, but # 3 is the best of the 3 movies. This whole series shows how Sylvester Stallone Arnold Schwarzenegger have aged - though Stalon's body is one a guy in teens/20's/30's/ and above wish they had, but his their age certainly shows in their faces. I was surprised how good this movie was and how much I enjoyed them. (I bought all three, that should tell you something.
on September 14, 2016
Well, we know this isn't meant to be deep, thought provoking or intellectual, but the one-liners were delivered poorly which ended up detracting from the movie experience.

For a movie that used maybe 27 total lines (exaggerating), it was disappointing to see how rarely those few lines landed. Some were just delivered late - all of Arnhold's, others were just too quiet to even discern - Jet Li. Next time, do the action and then have the dudes voice over post production.

I did appreciate jibs within the film by the characters of their own Larger than Life Action Character status.

This Expendables is largely forgettable.
on April 23, 2015
Missed Mickey Rourke But chuckled at Norris! Fans of the first movie will be pleased filled with testosterone, muscles & a virtual who's who of Hollywood Bad A$$es "The Expendables 2" picks up where the first left off . A bit darker than the 1st movie it still manages to keep the successful formula of humor , action & little surprise cameo's. Jean Claude Van Damme excels at being a bad guy which is a real plus when your larger than life hero's are well...larger than life! You have to find some pretty imposing characters to make the adventure a challenge when you have a cast like this!!! I can see this franchise climbing to James Bond status because its all about the action & fun. I don't see a Oscar in anyone's future in this franchise, but I do see a successful formula that can keep on going this is one of those times when the sequel is as good if not better than the original & I am looking forward to number 3!
on January 27, 2017
I love Stallone as an actor and a director, but a film this physically demanding I'm glad he stepped down from directing to focus on the acting. It shows the cast that he's a presence in the scenes and the give-and-take between them stands out much more than the first film. I love the throwbacks to the old films they feed off of but this series is right on the edge of parody and serious and it works for the film it is trying to be; but it also shows you that even with their age the over the top action it could still work with a serious tone if they wanted it to.
on April 19, 2014
What better a way to bring back a bunch of our old school action hero's than to have a block-buster all star cast all together in one movie, of course that goes for the first one too, and I'm sure the 3rd will be just as kool, and funny. Honestly I think Stallone's last Rambo movie that came out what 3-4 years ago I guess I think that was his best one yet. Stathom of course he's a much newer action star and pretty bad ass, except for being bald, lol. Jet Li just had one small scene at the beginning of this one don't know why, I mean I don't think he died in the beginning did he or did I miss something, lol. I don't know why Van dam wound up being a has bin so early in his movie career, but only after what about 10 short years all his movies became very much alike, and wound up just making straight to video movies that tells ya right there that they are done. Dolph he had a few decent movies as it was and that was only because of Van Dam, and Stallone's help. Rourke what a weird freak he turned out to be, I mean why the hell he ruined his body for that stupid wrestling movie as well his his face with that awful face lift he had. The ones that started out wrestling and now have done a few movies including these, I mean of course that's all that tv wrestling crap is, is acting.
I saw the first two Expendable movies at the movie theater and I also purchased them on DVD. Even though I liked both films, I found this Expendable #2 even more exciting than the first one. If you are seeking an intellectual experience this is not the movie for you; however, if you like action packed movies with lots of unarmed and armed combat and wise cracking heroes you should check out this DVD.

The movie has a whole list of old top action stars such as Stallone, Statham, Li, Lundgren, Norris, Crews, Couture, Hemsworth, Van Damme, Willis and Schwarzenegger. This band of mercenaries get together again for another action packed adventure. Lots of fist fighting, knife fighting and a whole lot of gun play in this action DVD.

If you are into action movies with a whole bunch of old guys who are still very tough guys, you should check out this DVD. This is a fun movie to watch and I loved it.

Rating: 5 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Use of the Monadnock Straight (MEB) Baton).
on December 26, 2014
Lots of action but I thought this would be a good movie since I really liked the first in this series. It started out great but about 30 minutes in it kind of went south. I liked the first one better. I did lots of eye rolling and felt a little sad that some of my favorite actors seemed to be just killing time. They should have found something better to do. What they thought was clever was just dumb.