Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,559 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,646 reviews
on May 19, 2017
I'm coming back to update others with my experience. It took some time and replacing it with yet another hard drive to figure this out, but the drive has been fraught with problems since I bought it. I experienced unexplained hangups and spinning balls, etc., but with several things going on with me at once I could not reliably say it was the drive itself, thought I suspected it. I installed it in a MacBook 2007 model. Easily done. But while the startup seemed fast, over time the nagging freezes, spinning wheels, etc. just continued to add up. Finally a replaced it, and moved all of my system and data to a new SSD (ie., used Carbon Copy Cloner and literally 'mirrored' my drive onto the new one). Still using the same OSX OS, etc. since day one. Voila! My problems went away. And now that I was able to conveniently wipe it, I ran into unexplained errors that would stop me from installing a new Mac OSX. Several versions! With pererverence I finally got a new MacOS X on it. Still freezes or stops copying.
Wish I could have figured it out sooner. I wasted a lot of time and angst on this thing...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 26, 2015
I've been using these Samsung SSDs for some time now. I found I had problems getting definitive answers that were not short and to the point so I will outline them here in no particular order:

1) Should I use Samsung Magician software that comes with this drive?

Absolutely. That is the advantage of this drive. With many other SSDs, you can spend hours trying to optimize the drive digging through countless articles that leaves you hanging what you should really do. Magician takes care of this for you.

2) Magician always boots. Can I remove it?

Yes. It is not needed and performs no task after first used other than to inform you of updates and warnings. The best way to keep it from starting up is to find it in your notification area in the lower right. Right click on it and it will give you an option to remove it from the startup. (It doesn't remove it from the notification area until the next time you boot.) You can always run it from the 'All Programs' list if you want to run it again.

3) Should I run "Performance Optimization"?

Yes. This is your initial optimization and your OS takes over from there.

4) Should I run OS Optimization and how should I set it, Maximum Performance, Maximum Capacity, or Maximum Reliability?

Yes. Most people probably select Maximum Performance, but I will suggest selecting Maximum Reliability since it will extend the life of your drive and you will see no Real World performance difference that you will notice. Yes, benchmarks will indicated max performance runs faster but you will be very hard pressed to notice any difference in speed.

5) Should I update the firmware even if things appear to be working fine?

Yes. Unlike a number of other devices that suggest not updating your firmware unless you have a problem, this SSD will have improvements besides fixes incorporated in the firmware. Be sure not to run other programs while the firmware is being updated. (Note: This firmware update is not the same as the Samsung Magician update that requests to be updated from time to time.)

6) Should I use Over Provisioning?
Yes. In fact this is probably the first thing you should do. This will extend the life of your drive. The downside is that it uses 10% of your drive space. You should look on this as something that could/should have been incorporated internally, however they want to 'advertise' the largest size they can. This more or less provides swap space and a pointer in an area untouched and allows longevity and some speed gains.

7) When I go into Over Provisioning the 'Set OP' button is grayed out.

Wait. Just wait, it is probably calculating space. The software doesn't give you a lot of feedback that it is working at finding the space so give it some time. You may notice a very tiny icon next to the category indicating it is working. Eventually the button will be enabled. If it never enables then there is not enough free space on your drive that is NOT occupied by other files. This usually happens if you didn't Over Provision right after installing the drive. Your best bet is to delete unused files and use a program such as CCleaner to free up some space, then run Performance Optimization first, and then run Over Provisioning again.

8) When I go into Over Provisioning, I get the warning, "... Using a raw partition may damage your data..."

Don't worry about it. Everyone gets this warning and it can be ignored by 99.9% of people. Basically the message is for those who know if they have a raw partition. "Over Provisioning" simply makes a partition that is not accessible by you or your programs. Computer geeks may want to use this area for other things and this is a warning for them.

9) Should I use Rapid Mode?

It's up to you, but I never do. I have in the past, and I have experienced more problems with the ones I installed using Rapid Mode. I think it the real world, it does very little, but the benchmarks go through the roof getting everyone excited. Benchmark programs test your computer's speed to compare it to other computers and your past computer performance. Some Benchmark programs will not test drives that have been setup for Rapid Mode due to the "trickery" used to indicate a faster speed. This trickery is not necessarily to foil the benchmarks but have the effect of giving false improved speed indications.

10) When I run the Performance Benchmarks, the Sequential Read and Sequential Write it looks fine but the Random Read and Random Write looks low.

This is normal. The random read and write is most affected by your overall computer hardware design compared to sequential reads and writes. If you put this drive in a faster more optimized computer the random read/writes will increase. Keep in mind the bars indicated 'maximum' and not optimal or minimal.

11) Does it help to defrag my SSD?

No, never defrag your SSD. It will just decrease life and not in the very least increase speed. Defrag is designed for a mechanical drive. The logic is the same as pouring gasoline on your electric weed whacker… they are different animals.

NOTE: This concludes my Q&A for 90% of those installing this drive. The rest of the Q&A are for more advanced users.

12) How does the terms AHCI mode (Advanced Host Controller Interface), IDE mode (Integrated Development Environment), and TRIM (a command in the ATA command set) apply to an SSD?

When you first install Windows (WIN 7 and above) on a SSD, you need to be sure your BIOS is set to the AHCI mode. This allows WIN to install the correct drivers for the AHCI mode which will enable the TRIM mode to work. [ditto Mac OS X 10.10.4 and above]

TRIM manages an SSD similar to how Defrag managed conventional drives. TRIM keeps the drive optimal speed and longevity.

The technology is much different with SSDs. For TRIM, consider a single memory location as a "cell." Cells have a limited lifespan. They die after being accessed many times. Unlike conventional drives, a cell must be erased before it is written to and that is slow, hence they move data around often because the access of the data is the same if it is at the far left or far right. It provides for an even use of cells throughout the life of the SSD.

TRIM is only enabled by AHCI drivers and AHCI drivers are only installed automatically when the BIOS is set to AHCI mode, instead of the IDE mode (mode for older conventional mechanical drives).

13) I don't have an AHCI mode in my BIOS, but I do have a RAID setting and I understand it will work the same?

It may, but not necessarily. It depends on the "chipset" on your motherboard. This is something you must research for your model of motherboard and in particular the generation or series of your Intel chipsets.

14) My computer will not boot the SSD unless I have the BIOS setting in IDE mode.
Most likely the SSD was copied from a hard drive that was installed in an IDE mode computer.

You have a few options:
a) Leave it in IDE mode, but you won't have the advantage of TRIM.
b) Search the internet (change from IDE to AHCI after installing Windows) to see how to change the registry, however keep in mind that this doesn't fix everything, it just allows it to boot. Opinions differ but most agree a full new install is the only right way to insure the AHCI features are supported.
c) Start over. Remove the partitions and start from scratch setting the BIOS to AHCI mode and installing Windows 7 and above. The copy and reinstall your programs from scratch.

15) My computer gives me the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) after I used Samsung Data Migration software to copy over my old hard drive and installed it in my new computer.

Change your settings in BIOS to IDE and see if it will boot and then read the previous Q&A.

16) What was the story of older Samsung SSDs slowing over time?

Some Samsung SSD using the TLC (triple-level cell) concept, they found caused old data to be slow at accessing over time. All SSDs of this generation had similar problems to varying degrees, but it appears Samsung was the first to address this situation quickly with a firmware update that was basically a bug fix. However, after testing they foresaw other shortcomings down the road and released a second firmware update that appears to have fixed the decline of speed. If your firmware is up to date, you are good.

17) Samsung Magician says I need a firmware update but it gives me an error or says it can't be done. I understand that I can manually apply a firmware patch not using Samsung Magician. Should I do that?

You probably have a computer using an AMD controller that conflicts with the Magician firmware update, and there is an easier way. You check if you have an AMD controller by going to your Device Manager and selecting "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and look for AMD.

If you have the AMD driver then to install the firmware, you need to install the Microsoft driver temporally.

Do this at your own risk, but I will outline the method. Before you look online you might see if it's already on your computer by opening up the controller in Device Manager, locate the AMD driver (e.g., AMD SATA Controller), right click on it and select properties. Then select the Driver tab. Select Update Driver, then select 'Browse my computer…', then select, 'Let me pick from a list…'. If you are lucky you'll see the Standard AHCI Serial ATA Controller. Select it and click on Next. You will directed to reboot.

Once rebooted you should be able to run the Samsung Magician software and update the firmware without errors.

Once you are done with the firmware update, reverse the changes using the same method above but select the "newest (if you have more than one)" AMD driver.

CONCLUSION:
I really like these SSDs as they are a good value for the price. This technology has been booming and there are tons of improvements and breakthroughs almost monthly. I think the biggest mistake most people make is trying to squeeze the extra little bit of speed out of an already blazing fast hard drive. If you absolutely must gain the little additional speed possible, then spend twice as much and get a higher end drive. There are plenty on the market of the same size with double and triple the price, with their claim of more reliability and a little faster speed. In my opinion if you don't need it in a server this level of SSD is fine. I would suggest that most people will do better with a minimum of 250GB and above. The 120GB is just a little small for most people's needs. Feel free to respond if you see changes that I should make.
on February 10, 2014
the pro series if one reads reviews and goes over benchmark results is the best ssd currently available. then icing on the cake the revised samsung magician software not only gives a turbo like boost to your speeds that literally no other ssd maker can come close to but it also provides you the end user with so much more control. want speed a priority done. want longevity a priority done. want something middle of the road e.g. long life and speed, got that too. the hardware and software combined at this point as well as the low price per gb and the longer life span (as opposed to say those w/three year warranties) makes it a no brainer so to speak. look no further, this is the best and for a nice change it is priced in there with middle of the road ssd's. rare to get so much value as this ssd currently provides especially at this price point. if it makes a difference this is my sixth or seventh ssd i've lost track over time but my background is tech and i have used the competition, in short this isn't my first ssd and i am by no means a newb when it comes to tech. forgot to add one thing, bonus of doing from a trad. platter drive to ssd, power savings. for a desktop no big deal but for a laptop i got an extra hour and half of usability after doing the swap it just takes tiny sips of power unlike the old drive which gulped power like beer on a hot summer's day. the power savings are better than any other ssd i have used to date.
on February 9, 2014
I have these in three different Macs. My MBP boots in about 7 seconds. I have trim enabled. I'm using as RAID 0 in my mini, as boot drives in two MBPs.

2012 Mac Mini Server:
Samsung 840 SSD – 500 Gb SATA III 6 gigabit, READ/WRITE: 560/ 320
Samsung 840 SSD – 500 Gb x 2 – RAID 0 SATA III 6 gigabit, READ/WRITE: 990/ 620
Samsung 840 SSD – 500 Gb SATA III 6 gigabit, External Seagate STAE 129 Thunderbolt adapter, READ/WRITE 378 323

If you want a kick-ass memory stick, you any SSD with a Seagate STAE 129 adapter.

After a year, I haven't noticed any degradation.

I wouldn't use a spinning drive for any boot drive. Once you go SSD, you'll never go back.

UPDATE March 2016:

TODAY.... This is not one of Samsung's better drives. This review is after 3yrs of ownership.

I would not depend on them for more than a couple yrs service. Pay the extra and by an 850Pro. or pay way less and buy a Sandisk. I have two drives, both with the same behaviors Both drives gradually declined in speed and crapped out right at the 3 yr warranty period, in what I would call "light" service, my media server (not high throughput). The warranty covered them, but with refurbished units that do no reach the speed of the original drives. I've since converted both drives into nice/fast little memory 500Gb sticks for backups, emergency boot disks, etc.

FYI, I have 8 other SSDs, some good, some bad, so this review isn't w/o experience. See attached RAID 0 840 vs 850 Pro
review image
on October 31, 2013
It worked great when I first got it. 4 months later it failed. Amazon won't let me return or exchange because it's been 4 months. Samsung is giving me the run-around on their warranty. If you get one that works, it's a great product.

...Edit...
I didn't have TRIM support enabled. I would suspect that other reviewers stating their drives died within a few months suffered from the same problem. Samsung eventually sent me another drive and the tech support informed me about enabling trim on the Mac OS. Newer Mac OS automatically support TRIM. The replacement Drive has been working incredibly well with TRIM support enabled for over a year now.
This SSD is awesome. In my opinion, Samsung makes the best solid state drives on the market. The 840 Series is a solid performing drive and the magician maintenance software that comes with it is equally good. I installed this into a new build of mine and it is fast! When I reboot my machine, it is up and running in about 15 seconds, no joke! its like hitting the reset button a Nintendo! I have realized however that 120GB is just too small. I use the SSD primarily for running my OS. However as installs go, little by little space is chipped away. While I highly recommend this SSD, I suggest getting the 250GB, not the 120GB. I myself will be upgrading to the 250GB soon.
on January 18, 2015
I've been using this drive for about 2 years now. It has stood up better than i expected. My laptop runs as fast as the day i bought it. I have this as my primary drive, which i have my os installed. It boots up in like 15 seconds or so. REALLY speedy and 2 years later, the same. It took a bit of tweaking the first time in installed it in my alienware m17x r3, but it ran just fine when i was finished. highly recommended. I use the hard drive that the laptop came with as storage, but i wish i bought a bigger SSD in the first place. I've researhed the differences between TLC and MLC memory and I fully understand the differences. I try my best to link all the temporary folders for the various programs to my secondary drive... downloads, etc. my ssd has only the essentials installed on it, along with a few games i used to play frequently.
on July 7, 2014
I bought this drive in December of 2012 and it started to fail in May of 2014. It has now completely failed.

I understand mistakes can happen, and that's the onus of the manufacturer to support the customer with a clear, concise warranty process. Samsung's website has very little provision for starting an RMA process, and the instructions for filing an RMA request are only given after filing one. In this process after having filed, you will usually learn by their guidelines that you have done this process incorrectly and need to substantiate with a few more steps of troubleshooting and data to provide.

Upon calling them they do have a process for advance replacements but only when requested by phone and under very specific circumstances that are atypical of most manufacturers.

Their troubleshooting solution was to try a different cable, and I presumed this would be the solution as the drive continued to work for another two months. Out of the blue I get a complete OS lockup and when rebooting I used utilities on my Gentoo Linux install to determine that the drive has completely failed. No it lists as .1gb of unallocated unpartitioned space. Samsung is also not willing to honor their warranty because I had previously filed an RMA that I didn't utilize.

With Samsung's inflexible and asinine RMA process, it has turned me off to Samsung SSD's from now on. Their support is truly awful and this division of the company is a complete and total failure.

That really sucks too, because I would have looked into upgrading to the new 850 Pro's that have topped the performance charts. For my needs, however, I am replacing it with a Sandisk II Extreme, namely because their support appears to be far better and they have the devsleep functions I prefer.

If you buy a Samsung SSD and it doesn't fail, good for you. If it does fail, however, get ready for some pain trying to get through their byzantine "blame the customer" RMA process.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2014
Finally finished piecing together my new PC and gave it some time to test it out. Most of my decision making was the result of reviews from here (Amazon) and forums on tomshardware.com.

-NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case, Black 921RB-001-BL
-Intel Core i5-3570K
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
-EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked w/ACX Cooler (02G-P4-2765-KR)
-Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4 GB) (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B)
-Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 (GA-Z77X-UD3H)
-OCZ Technology Fatal1ty 750W (OCZ-FTY750W)
-Intel RTS2011LC Liquid-Cooling Kit
-Samsung 840 SSD 500GB (MZ-7TD500BW)
-D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.B)

Boot up is less than 10 seconds from power button to login. At resolution 1920x1200 with most settings on high (using NVidia GeForce Experience recommendations) gameplay is smooth and pretty with Assassins Creed IV, League of Legends, Rage, Path of Exile, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2, & Heroes of the Storm. All the fans are not loud at all and go unnoticed with the box under my desk. The lights look awesome from the fans, psu, & Intel CPU cooler. The case has 3 thermometers labeled for CPU, HDD, and SYS. They make for a nice LED display on the front but placing them in the case is a little tricky. I use HWMonitor to watch temps and so far nothing has gone over 55 Celcius. Gigabyte has some proprietary software w/ their motherboard. I have attempted the auto overclocking program labeled EasyTune but have not had much luck with it. Ended up keeping CPU at it's original 3.4 GHz since there isn't really a need to push it more than that currently. In the future I may try manually overclocking in the BIOS. The BIOS is extremely easy to navigate and has a plethora of configuration options and adjustable parameters.

Overall, system works flawlessly and is everything I wanted with the potential for easy upgrading in the future. Hope this helps if anyone is shopping around and doing some research.
on March 18, 2017
I like the SSD from Samsung....no issues on install, no issues with setup, fast! If you have an old system, likely the most incredible upgrade you can do, especially to a laptop. I only buy Samsung SSD's at present time.