Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: My Body, My Self for Boys: Revised Edition (What's Happening to My Body?)
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on March 28, 2009
I bought this and On your Mark Get Set Grow and What's happening down there? for my 10 year old. They were great, explaining things I didn't even think of and it helped keep the dialogue about the subject going with him. He came up with great questions. This book was nice because it had lots of quizzes so he can keep track of which phase he is in.
I think I was less ready for him to have all of this stuff. Difficult to come to terms with the fact that by 10 years of age, kids are getting exposed to plenty of stuff at school from their friends. I'd rather he be getting correct info and that it's coming from home. Good Book!!!!
22 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2011
my son had questions, a lot of questions (just turning 11) - i answered them honestly, straighforwardly and with compassion. I asked him, since he had a lot of questions would he like a book about it, where all his questions would be answered. That he could always talk to me about it even as he was reading the book. He pretty much leaped out of his chair and said that would be great. I got two books but this one is clearly the right one, the reliable one ( my older ones enjoyed their copies too when they were his age). This really is the right book. It's been around a long time, its clear, open, seems to answer all the school stories that they hear. He can read it alone, use as a reference, it is not embarrassing to him, doesn't talk down to him but meets him right at his age. It covers before, middle and end of puberty. It has pencil drawings that are dignified - and it talks about all the differences between boys body types and growth stages - it was a sense of relief for my son to know he was normal. It even asks just a couple of minor questions that he can answer. Secretly, I think those questions were put there for parents. They are questions like Do you have more questions you want to ask? - It's a respectful book. It is what I would call a traditional book for a traditional family. I branched out and got two books but the other one seemed to talk in a too immature way. Like it wasn't hitting the mark for the right age of puberty. I think parents should be the first source of answering questions when children are little and then when you sense a deeper interest offering a book helps the child take control of their thoughts without being embarrassed. I do check in with him, and ask how he likes the book. If there is anything he would like to talk about in more detail, but for now, this is exactly the right level for a 10,11 year old introduction to their bodies.
on July 14, 2008
I highly recommend this book for parents and boys coming into the age of 11 or 12. It talks about how their bodies develop on their level.

Being a single Mom it was hard to understand some things that boys go thru and this book said it in a way I could understand and talk with my son.
on October 15, 2009
My 12 year old does not like to read. I gave him this book to prompt dialogue and he couldn't get his head out of it!
4 days latter, he was wiser and gave us an entree into discussion about growing up!
I also suggested by 14 year old daughter read it, to get the view from the other side!
A must read for all young men.
L Jones
Phoenix, AZ
on June 3, 2010
I got this book by accident. I was looking for something much more comprehensive for my teenager. I meant to order (What's Happening to My Body?) but didn't. I breezed through it in about a half an hour. That said this would have been great just as he was starting his growth spurt as a preteen. There are large clear pictures of male genitals and very good explanations about what is normal about puberty. It also has several places that encourage the child to talk to their parents. There is sort of a workbook feel to some of the chapters in the book. There are places to figure out how tall the teen might be. Also places to chart growth and feelings. This book would definitely help facilitate dialog on a very embarrassing subject.
on February 5, 2015
This book starts off with chapters about anatomy. It has a chart, so boys can measure their testicles often. It then goes on to teach them slang words for an erection, such as "boner." It has them write down all the names they've heard penises referred to. Encourages them to even write down the dirty names after it reminds them its their book and they can write whatever they want, after all! It teaches them about ejaculating and how it happens when they feel "sexy." It asks them to write down how they hide a boner and gives them tips. It lets them know sexual fantasies are perfectly normal and that everybody masturbates, except a very few. And I cant forget the part about erect penises and the pictures of the many angles it can be and different curvatures. It assures boys that they can not masturbate too much and that if your penis hurts from doing so, a rest will solve all. And you get to follow "harry" on a wet dream adventure! Would you just let it dry on your sheets, pretend you spilled water on your bed or talk to your parents about it? If you choose a) then turn to page 67!
Basically, this book is focusing on many wrong things. I am not trying to encourage my son to spend the day masturbating. Nor am i trying to get him to refer to his parts in slang. On the outside, this book appears fine. On the inside, it teaches things that are absolutely unnecessary. There are great parts in there, teaching anatomy, teaching about shaving and growth spurts, voice changes. The unnecessary parts earn this book a toss in the garbage. I am glad I looked at it before just handing it to him blindly.
on August 11, 2011
I think this book is great for an older boy. It was a bit much for my 11 year old. He was uncomfortable with the pictures and some of the explicit description. I think I will save it for when he is 15 years old. I guess all kids aren't growing up too fast and like to stay their age!!! Thank goodness because I want to wait as long as I can!!!
on January 11, 2010
I bought this book when my 8 year old started showing signs of early puberty. I wanted something that wasnt too old for him or confusing. This is a work book and a kind of journal that can be done together (with a parent) which helps the child understand and relate what they are reading to what is happening or will happen to them. We have just started it, but so far my son likes it and feels more comfortable discussing things because of the book.
VINE VOICEon September 14, 2009
My son is just 10 and already curious about "growing up" and all the changes that are starting. This book is an excellent resource for him. I would recommend reading it together, or before your son does, so you'll know what he'll be asking LOL
on November 16, 2010
I bought the book for my 11 year old grandson and it's an excellent factual teaching tool. Also, the content is such that he can read on his own. The book, with adult assiatance, will ensure that he does not depend on urban legend, old wives tales and etc to understand how to care for his body, the physiological changes to expect and etc. Well worth the cost!!!!