Customer Reviews: Hands of Glory
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fall24 fall24 fall24  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: MP3 Music|Change

VINE VOICEon October 30, 2012
I had Andrew Bird pegged. He is that guy that makes complicated sophisticated pop music and he whistles. He's got a sweet voice, and an interesting world view. Right? Well, apparently he's like an onion--he's got layers. Hands of Glory is as basic as you can get--just take some fantastic musicians, put them all around a single microphone, mix in some old-time tunes, and see where you go. I would never have put Bird in an Alt-Country label, but that is what you get here. Great harmonies, picked string instruments played with passion and skill, and some plaintive fiddles make this seem like something that could be happening on an especially blessed porch in Appalachia. If you are already a fan of Bird, then pick this up with complete confidence--it is so good, so relaxed, so well played, you will soon be sharing it with all your friends. A great and unexpected treat.
on November 17, 2012
This is the sort of music you might expect to hear at a dive bar somewhere in the American Southwest. Bird's fiddle rolls with golden-honey harmonies and a simple strummed backbone. A calm, warm quiet. Less whine than whimper. I didn't know a fiddle could do that.

A reviewer nailed the Hands-of-Glory experience when he said, "It doesn't shock or change the course of rivers, but it does invite, and welcome, and maybe pour you a cup of tea and ask about your day."
on January 20, 2013
I have four or five Andrew Bird albums, and love every one. This work, which features old-style sound (heavy on the fiddle) and a spiritual, sometimes gospel feel, features his rich voice and string workmanship. "Three White Horses," the opening piece, is my favorite. Critics have not raved about this album as they have his others, finding it a bit 'aw shuck-sy,' but I enjoy the country flavor and particularly like his rendition of "If I Needed You."
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon February 21, 2013
I'm a fan of Andrew Bird's music. His last album didn't quite strike me, but this one hit me squarely between the eyes (and ears). The production quality is excellent and every song is a keeper. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Andy gets back to his folk roots with this release. There's plenty of gorgeous violin work but I'll admit that I do miss his signature whistle on Hands of Glory. The epic final track "Beyond the Valley of the Three White Horses"; reprises the first song of the album and ties it all together in a nice neat bow. I often listen to this album at work on repeat, and never tire of it. I'd love to hear it live.

For fans of folk, Andrew Bird's more stripped down and thoughtful creations, ...and just plain good, authentic music -- then Hands of Glory should not disappoint.

~ Kort
on January 2, 2013
I saw Andrew Bird (with Tifft Merritt as guest violinist) on the David Letterman show and just had to buy his album (and one of hers, as well).

Wow--I love all kinds of music, bluegrass included. Andrew Bird plays unusual, but recognizable, tunes, modals, etc. I play it in my car on long country drives and love it more each time I take a trip.
on May 19, 2013
Admittedly I like most material from Mr. Bird so I'm biased. He's a super talented songwriter and player, and this release stands out in that it has a live acoustic, down home feel. I recommend turning it up loudly on a quality home audio system capable of playing the upright bass in this recording. It sounds awesome! And the track Orpheo, which has a simple melody, is beautiful. This release took more listens to "get" but after time I think it may be one of his best.
on January 30, 2013
I love the depth of sound on this album. You get the country swing sound of If I Needed You, done only as these guys can do (I prefer it over Townes' version). Railroad Bill gives you a little more straight forward folk with a classic country railroad song sound. Three White Horses and Beyond the Valley of the Three White Horses give you the awesome creative playfulness that are what I love about Andrew Bird. To top it off, you get Spirograph which has a really accessible groove and some foot-tapping power.

Those are my favorites on the album and I could listen to this album all day.
on April 16, 2013
I don't have words to describe how much I love Andrew Bird's music. He's an amazing musician who creates just beautiful sounds. This album is equally as impressive as his previous works. There's a noticeable lack of whistling on this album, and it feels more folky, but that doesn't mean I don't love it. Wonderful album!
on December 12, 2012
This is different from his previous recordings in that it has more bluegrass or country (old time country) playing. I consider Andrew Bird to be as important and interesting as the Beatles, Van Morrison, David Bowie, and David Byrne. As someone who has been immersed in rock music all my life, these artists are set apart by continuing to evolve as artists and by having something interesting to say about humans, their activities, their imaginations.
on June 2, 2013
I love all of Andrew Bird, but I would have to say that this would have to be my least favorite of all of his cds, which is surprising, considering that it is said to be the other half of Break It Yourself. Any of Andrew Bird's other cds I would rate with an enthusiastic 5 stars, but this one just wasn't as impressing.