Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 20, 2013
I have four or five Andrew Bird albums, and love every one. This work, which features old-style sound (heavy on the fiddle) and a spiritual, sometimes gospel feel, features his rich voice and string workmanship. "Three White Horses," the opening piece, is my favorite. Critics have not raved about this album as they have his others, finding it a bit 'aw shuck-sy,' but I enjoy the country flavor and particularly like his rendition of "If I Needed You."
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on May 19, 2014
He's been on a roll for the past five years or so and it seems like there is no stopping him. This is probably his most "normal" album in a while - not as much weird iimagery in the lyrics, and the songs are less frenetic as some in the past. Also some are just normal country/bluegrass sounding songs. But they're all really beautiful with some really great playing and singing throughout. Anyone who enjoyed Break It Yourself or Noble Beast will like this one as well.
on December 12, 2012
This is different from his previous recordings in that it has more bluegrass or country (old time country) playing. I consider Andrew Bird to be as important and interesting as the Beatles, Van Morrison, David Bowie, and David Byrne. As someone who has been immersed in rock music all my life, these artists are set apart by continuing to evolve as artists and by having something interesting to say about humans, their activities, their imaginations.
on January 2, 2017
This record is the best thing ever. If you don't have it (and all of Andrew Bird's other records) you're missing out :]
on January 2, 2013
I saw Andrew Bird (with Tifft Merritt as guest violinist) on the David Letterman show and just had to buy his album (and one of hers, as well).

Wow--I love all kinds of music, bluegrass included. Andrew Bird plays unusual, but recognizable, tunes, modals, etc. I play it in my car on long country drives and love it more each time I take a trip.
2 helpful votes
on September 26, 2014
What else can you say… Andrew Bird, one of the most interesting and creative voices in popular music today. His early work (Music of Hair and The Ballad of the Red Shoes) is well worth exploring. Also check out the Handsome Family who have influenced Bird a lot over the years.
on January 2, 2013
I have been a long fan of Andrew Bird, I bought this album immediately before going to see him in concert last month. I was impressed, but even more impressed once I saw him perform Three Horses live and alone. The man embodies endless talent and it shows through his compositions. A rounded, full bodied folk music experience.
2 helpful votes
on December 15, 2013
4.5 stars really. Great EP or whatever he wants to call it. Enjoyed this more that Break it Yourself. Spirograph gives me the chills everytime I hear it!
on April 4, 2013
To sum it up simply, this is a great album. Similar to his latest, Break it Yourself, but with a little bit more of a western feel. Not country by any means but definitely more western. Railroad Bill is one of my favorites. Great instrumentation and a very cozy feel. If you like any of his recent stuff you will definitely enjoy this.
on August 7, 2014