Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Top Contributor: Star Warson February 17, 2016
Finally! We have a movie in 2012 that is worth every minute and every penny. If your kids (or you, for that matter) cannot stop singing "Circus! Afro!" then go ahead and see Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted in 3D. It is the most clever, fun, and exciting animated film to hit theaters in a long time.

When we see our favorite zoo escapees this time, they are on the run with their jungle friends in Europe. Alex (Ben Stiller), Marty (Chris Rock), Gloria (Jada Pinkett Smith) and Melman (David Schwimmer) desperately want to get back to Central Park. Standing in their way is Captain Chantel Dubois (Frances McDormand) as the most evil animal control officer in the world. They narrowly escape her clutches by jumping on a train with a traveling circus. Now their only hope for getting to New York is to buy the circus and whip them into good enough shape to earn a touring contract in America.

Director and screenwriter Eric Darnell does an excellent job of leading the crew with this third installment. The story incorporates new characters beautifully by adding a love interest for Alex (Gia, voiced by Jessica Chastain), a dopey friend for Marty (Stefano, voiced by Martin Short), and a fallen hero everyone can cheer for (Vitaly, a tiger voiced by Bryan Cranston). King Julien (Sacha Baron Cohen) also finds love in a big bear wearing a tutu named Sonya, and the results are as hilariously sweet as the love saga of Donkey and Dragon. Kids will be able to keep up with all of the new names and nationalities and may even find a new favorite character in the bunch.

What makes this movie truly magic is the skillful use of 3D technology. Every leap on the flying trapeze, flight out of a cannon, and grasp at an animal's tail by Captain Dubois jumps out of the screen and excites the senses. It is so refreshing to see a movie in 3D that actually takes full advantage of its capability. The clever script and silly animation also kept me laughing, but I could have done without all of the jabs at people of Russian, French, Canadian, and basically all non-American descent. What was initially funny drifted toward mean, and resulted in one joke that was totally inappropriate. These moments only accounted for about 5 of the nearly 90 minutes of running time, so do not let that deter you from enjoying this chaotic adventure.
3 people found this helpful
on February 13, 2016
3D review only..WOW .This 3D movie has a ton of out of screen effects and has made its way to a 4th place tie with( Sammy's adventure 2 )on my list of hundreds of 3D movies that I've seen and own .there are out of screen effects that go out between 30% and 80% towards you ..way to many to list..awesome colors and depth at times..if you love old school pop out 3d ..Buy this now..You Will thank me later..only wish there were more killer 3D movies like this movie..me and my family/ kids absolutely loved this and the kids were reaching out to touch the things coming at us...love love love it
4 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 3, 2013
It's much better than the first one. The characters are endearing. The Russian tiger was a favorite. The movie was light and funny and quite silly and ridiculous at times, but it had some touching moments that really do have quite a bit of emotional depth behind them that should appeal to older audiences. This is something I like about Dreamworks, in comparison to a company like Pixar (although, I think Pixar is also an awesome company). Dreamworks tends to a little more hit and miss with their movies, but Dreamworks seems to take more chances, and as a result, they often come up with movies that are different and can be very deep and touching at times. Just a warning, I'm 23 years old, and I like many animated films, especially ones with animals so I'm probably a little biased. I was watching this movie with my 20 year old brother in the room, and he definitely thought it was funny, so perhaps that adds a little more credibility. This is the kind of movie that the entire family should be able to enjoy even if there are no kids around, but if there are kids around, I'm sure they'll love it.
With regard to the movie package itself. There is not much to say on that. It is pretty much what you would expect. It seems good. The discs are stored well in the case. There is no idiotic stacking of discs or any nonsense like that. The cover art it nice. Great movie and great package.
on November 5, 2012
I have to confess that I never cared for the first two 'Madagascar' films (except for the hysterical, commando penguins).
The main characters were like the characters from 'Seinfeld', but without the commitment to self-satisfaction that made them funny.

In 'Europe's Most Wanted', Director Eric Darnell busts his entire cast free of their island prison; and, sets them loose on the world at-large. The animators and voice artists respond to the larger canvas with inspired acting, and a riot of movement and color that literally has to be seen to be believed.

The story (such as it is) has the heroes crashing the Monte Carlo Casino, being chased by a psycho French animal-control officer (a howlingly funny Frances McDormand) and hiding out with a down-on-its-luck animal circus. These elements are all that is needed for an animated tour-de-force.

The pace varies between fast, breakneck and ludicrous speed, with better jokes and a lot less bathos then in the first two 'Madagascar' installments. The crazy penguins are utilized brilliantly, the one-note King Julian is used sparingly (a little of him goes a LONG way) and the circus animals are perfectly compliments to push the main characters to a funnier level.

Madagascar III is for kids of all ages, fans of great animated movies or anyone who loves a good laugh.
on November 3, 2012
This movie was a "visual delight to the eyes" plus "falling out of your chair" FUNNY! Chris Rock's character was Hilarious!
I've watched it 3 times already and I don't see myself stopping any time soon! The Blu-ray version really "pops" with colors/clarity; some scenes looked almost 3-D (this is the only time I wish I had a 3-D capable HDTV-I'd have bought the 3-D version; without reservations)! It looked just like (if not better; quality-wise) the movie as seen in Theaters! Did I mention the action scenes? They are "top-notched" comparable (PG-wise) to any non-CG movie! Even with suspense included! You have to be carefully attentive to catch some of the adult(not-in-a-bad-way-for-kids) Humor. The "mad/crazy" animal control lady was also Crazy-Hilarious!

If I (ever) get tired of laughing; I'll probably just watch it for the spectacular visuals of the Blu-ray version. This movie was definitely worth buying the Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo(+Digital Copy+UltraViolet & Rainbow Wig) version! I think I'll watch it again tonight....

Oh, yeah...My kids liked it too! The included Rainbow Wig was not as "big & poofy" as I thought, but the kids enjoyed putting it on MY HEAD; more than their own! I definitely recommend this Blu-ray version of the movie! Very satisfied + good Amazon price...money well spent!
on March 17, 2016
The original Madagascar didn't even make the shelf, Madagascar 2 is an all-time favorite, and this movie is somewhere in between.

Action-packed nonsense glued together with disjointed, but seriously funny moments. DreamWorks is notorious for their mediocre-yet-still-watchable comedy. It was undeniably for children (suppose the graphics or zebra with an afro gave that away) but there were enough legitimately funny moments for me to consider this a good movie. As usual, the storyline was lacking and overly stuffed with ideas like the first draft of a freshman research paper. My attention span is possibly shorter, but in a pinch or if we need a laugh-- it's worth it!
on October 25, 2012
This movie was a Complete Blast!!! I'm a full grown adult here and this movie was THE Best Ever over the other two! The story line was very adequate, no issue there, but the continuous action in much of the movie completely kept my attention glued, (no house cleaning or ironing watching this!!) the Script(!!)--Hilarious!!--the quips-just kept on coming, the characters--really well rounded, Penguins---my crack up favorite(!), and the Colors in the artistry and backgrounds---for awhile there I thought someone slipped me some LSD right there in theatre! Especially the circus sequence where Katy Perry's song 'Firework' comes on and that was the Perfect song for that part!! (I won't even say how many times I've watched that sequence on dvd with my lap top computer in my face and speakers blaring!) Yes I had a Blast laughing and watching this movie at the theatre (and fortunately the rest of audience seemed to enjoy it as well!), so of course it's a dvd keeper. A kid's show? Sure but somebody is thinking of us adults!
on January 5, 2018
Absolutely the worst of the 3 Madagascar movies. Towards the end of the movie, it appears that they fed their animators LSD and told them to do "whatever". Crappy plot, very little humor. A total waste of money
on January 2, 2014
Our little one loves Madagascar 2: Escape to Africa. However this installment fails to hold a candle to its predecessor. There is no story arc tie-in with Alex's family (not featured at all in this film) much less the pride or other animals on the reserve, and the 'bad kittie' grandmother from the first 2 movies is MIA. Also, the others just go along with Alex's plan to go back to NY at the drop of a hat. The penguins seem to have more access to James-Bond-esq technology and less intuitive invention and skullduggery than they had in the previous installments. There are fewer songs and no good 'extras' on the DVD as in part 2. Overall the plot is insipid and has a veiled anti-hunting message at the end. I see my kid getting a lot less mileage out of this movie than they had with part 2.
on February 2, 2013
This is arguably the best one so far in the Madagascar trilogy. This version comes in three formats, Blu-ray, DVD, and itunes digital copy along with Ultraviolet copy. The movie is exceptionally funny and captivating. I guarantee you wouldn't regret if you purchase this version that is several bucks more expensive.
10 people found this helpful