Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 28 reviews
Just got this book. I'm a knitting book addict so the fact that I bought this doesn't mean much. However, at first read I saw 10 designs I'd make. That's twice as many as most knitwear books. The directions are for a wide variety of sizes, which makes the book vastly more useful.

I like the use of yarns and the conservative men's patterns. On showing the one shawl collared sweater to my husband, he said: "hey, I'd wear that!" which is a first in 20 years.

I didn't need wrist warmer or corset cover patterns but there was enough here that I can ignore those. I'd prefer some clearer photos, esp of the second "under" layer of the 2 layered sweater. I hate not being able to clearly see every design.

All in all, a hit.
on March 19, 2014
This is the second copy of Avery's Knitting Classic Style that I have purchased. The first copy was given to one of the women in my knitting group who had borrowed it from my Knitting Library and didn't want to part with it. Avery began as a clothing designer and seamstress and her knitting patterns reflect this. There is a focus on fit, construction details, and finishing in even the simplest garments that is extremely appealing to me. I have made up several of the patterns in this book exactly as written, which is rare for me. I am a designer myself and I tend to use books as knitting inspiration. Avery's designs, and her approach in general, is very inspirational. I highly recommend this book for all knitters, from the newbies to the experienced. As it says in the heading, it is an Essential to my Knitting Library
on September 25, 2011
Five stars for Veronik Avery! I bought this book used. I also give the book seller five stars.

I will be busy for months knitting from this book. The challenge will be affording all the yarn! There are several creative patterns to choose from; my favorites being The Military Jacket on page 68, The Beaded Pulse Warmers on page 78, Ski Jacket on page 112, Warm Shawl page 86, and the Layered Skater's Top beginning on page 116. There are also several designs for men and children.

If you're a member of Ravelry you can either type in the pattern titles I mentioned, or search by the author, Veronik Avery, to see the designs in this book. You can then decide for yourself. Winter is approaching... happy knitting everyone!
on September 20, 2007
What makes this book special for me is her fair isle cardigan updated with a slim silhouette and set-in sleeves but otherwise knit in the traditional way using border patterns and shetland yarn. Other items I might knit are her shawl, faroese sweater, layered skater's top in lace, her Setesdal sweater modified with set-in sleeves. This book is one of the better ones I've seen this year and includes a 3 page section on special techniques. One quibble is that her yarns don't have any kind of indication as to their size category (sport, worsted, etc). Also my copy came without an outer cover and I have no idea if this is missing or was never made.
on November 25, 2007
I love the patterns in the book - I'd love to make a few. I plunged into making Layered Skater's top - a lacy top using Kidsilk haze. It is knitted with circular knitting needles. I got all the way to the yoke, and having hell of time following directions. I wish the directions were more clear. I don't know if I can finish this project which is a shame since I knitted 2/3rds of it! Bummer.
on January 23, 2013
This book is a little odd. The photos are dark and done on what looks like a cheap budget. But there are several good patterns. The one on the front cover I like, there is a shawl that I like that is done in 3 colors and a few other patterns that are interesting.
on January 22, 2016
Very good patterns
on February 16, 2008
I'm extremely underwhemled. I read the rave reviews, and a few of the pans, and I decided that the raves won. For me, I should have paid more attention to the pans.
This book does not showcase all the elements that I have come to admire in Avery's work. Nothing inspired me to pick up the needles and cast on. There didn't appear anything truly innovative. Many of the patterns were done in a large yarn and needle gauge, so that they appeared coarse to me, though others may find that the interesting part. For me, I wish I had had the chance to see the book first, because there is nothing in here that interests me at all. The texture work was coarse, and so was the color work. Everything meant for those who might have shorter attention spans, but nothing that seems elegant, as so much of Avery's work has been in the past.
on April 17, 2013
The book is a great inspiration. I has lots of lovely patterns. They are easy to follow. And has diagrams also.
VINE VOICEon August 31, 2007
This book is hot off the press, so I haven't knit any of the patterns yet, but I'm very pleased with my purchase. There are some really thoughtful construction elements in these patterns, and Avery has done a good job of trying to find something for a wide variety of ages and lifestyles without straying from the "classic style" premise of the title. Since I am tremendously piggy when it comes to knitting books, I count anything that has at least three patterns I really want to knit as a keeper, and this volume is easily double that. (My copy arrived last night and is already bristling with tabs!) The beautiful construction means that most of the patterns are probably best suited to intermediate and advanced knitters, but today's new knitters are so fearless, I hesitate to class these patterns as out of anyone's league.