Customer Reviews: Hope On The Rocks
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Leonard Cohen Shop Cycling on Amazon

TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 30, 2012
Anyone that tries to dismiss Toby Keith as just another one trick pony is totally missing out on the point that people REALLY seem to like the trick! "Hope On The Rocks" gives Toby's fans more of what they've come to expect from him which is country music with a lot of attitude and a fair share of humor.

"Hope on the Rocks" has Toby cranking out a lot of songs about drinking that will surely get plenty of radio and jukebox play. The song "The Size I Wear" is about a group of guys out on the town looking for women with a firm tongue in cheek delivery featuring the lines "She was five foot two 'bout ninety-five pounds/She was round in the places she's supposed to be round."

"I Like Girls That Drink Beer" is fairly self-explanatory lyrically and is just a fun hard driving track about the virtues of the down to Earth ladies that like to throw back a brew.

The bluesy "Haven't Had A Drink All Day" reminds me a lot of Hank Williams Jr. at his prime in both delivery and subject matter. One of the best tracks on the album in my opinion.

Toby's humor is on full display in the last track of the album's deluxe edition with the song "Get Out Of My Car" which is laugh out loud funny and a reason to find the deluxe version! It's a live cut that Toby introduces as a song that will never be on the radio. That honor is earned by lines like "We've already kissed/We've already danced/And you're wondering if you should put on your shoes or take off your pants" and a chorus that ends with "Get out of your clothes or get out of my car." Classic tongue in cheek Toby Keith that sums up the album perfectly, a whole lot of fun!

The bottom line is if you like Toby Keith's previous work you're going to love this album. Buy it!
on November 3, 2012
I love Toby's music....I've often championed his work to those who would dismiss him as a simpleton redneck. He's always managed to make relevant country music without succumbing to the trends plaguing today's pop/country Nashville scene. He's a great performer and puts on an incredible stage show. All that being said, there is not one "stand out" song on this record. The bright moments are relegated to a nice guitar riff or a clever lyric here and there, but overall, these songs feel like they are leftover material from his last three or four records, the songs that didn't make the cut. The best song on the record is the live version of "Whiskey Girl." The remixes of "Red Solo Cup" and "Beers Ago" are just bad. I can handle the "Red Solo Cup" remix as the song is simply a throw away party song, and while catchy, it's no indication of Toby's talent. Good thing he didn't write it. But "Beers Ago" is a great song about growing up in a small town and adding a bad drum sample and techno sounds does not do it justice. I'll go ahead and put this record on my ITunes, but I'll stick with his more recent efforts of the last couple years as they stand head and shoulders over "Hope on the Rocks."
on July 1, 2016
I bought this when it first came out in. Just like I do every time Toby Keith comes out with something new. It's a good cd just like everything Toby Keith does. My favorite songs are The Size I Wear, and I Like Girls That Drink Beer. There are bonus tracks of live versions of Red Solo Cup and Beers Ago. There is a drinking party theme to most of the songs on here. Again this is a good cd.
on June 24, 2016
My husband absolutely loves this cd and toby keith! He is his all time favorite country artist and has seen him play for a short time once when he was deployed. Full of amazing music to rock out to at home or in your car!
on October 30, 2012
Toby Keith has continued his string of excelent albums with this just released title! The only reason for my not giving it a 5 star rating is that he resorted to what I consider the cheesyest of all gimmicks with the remix of Red solo cup. Which in it's self was a funny novalty from his last Cd, and plenty enjoyable the way it was. I would imagine it was an attempt to capture the club or dance market, and to reach younger listeners. But I think this idea in my opinion is a flop. Don't get me wrong, the arangement, and style of this album is otherwise excelent, and Pink Floyd fans may especially appreciate the style of IF Your Not With Me, You're Not Alone, as it seems to take on the feel of the first track out of Floyd's "dark Side OF the Moon." So by no means should anyone hesitate in buying this otherwise excelent deluxe Eddition of "Hope ON The Rocks."
on November 19, 2012
I recently purchased Hope on the Rocks. The first time I listened to it I was elated that this album is vintage Toby. The songs are great, the singing is great - it's fantastic to run the treadmill listening to this album. I've already placed 6 of the songs on my Toby playlist. That's now 37 songs out of 17 albums. I do have to say that the live renditions of Get Out Of My Car and Red Solo Cup are forgettable. Not to worry, the original studio recordings of these two songs are still as great as ever! You can't go wrong purchasing this CD no matter what you pay for it.
VINE VOICEon May 27, 2013
As with all of Toby's albums, this is another winner. A great collection of songs on many different themes. My favorite is Haven't Had a Drink All Day...I love his songs that are a little off beat but reflect normal, everyday American lives. If you are a Toby Keith fan, you will love this album, too!
on February 5, 2013
This is an okay CD; I am happy I read other reviews and didn't waste my money on the deluxe edition for the random live songs he puts on that I don't care for anyway. It's typical Toby, but I enjoy some of his other CDs better (That don't make me a bad guy is one of my faves by him).
on November 14, 2012
I have only been a Toby Keith fan for about 4 or 5 years, I found his brand of country music all I could listen to and appreciate. I found this album to be a lot more slow and sad than his recent releases. This one has a lot of beautifully written songs that I can listen to but over all I did not find the album to be uplifting as the last few he has done. I find a lot of songs on here more in the vein of his earlier hits, like "Wish I Didn't Know Now" or "You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This"

It just seems like a slower paced album and even a song like "Missed You Just Right" which is about finding the right woman though a failed previous relationship still has a sad feeling to it.

Overall I liked this album but not as much as last year's Clancy's Tavern or before that Bullets in the Gun. Also I got the deluxe edition and the bonus songs just do not fit the flow of the rest of the album at all. They are pretty good, although the Red Solo Cup remix is underwhelming, but really do not fit with the rest of the album. When all is said and done a solid 4 star effort but I don't think it is his best.
on November 16, 2012
Toby Keith is probably my favorite singer and this is great.Love the fact that I can download to CloudPlayer! Toby Keith's music is usually done with humor and this is no exception. Amazon is the best place to buy music, because they have every thing and anything you might want.