Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$34.95

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 59 reviews
on November 20, 2012
I LOVED the first box set of Christmas music and I assumed I would equally like this one. There are some great songs on this set too. I appreciate his effort in doing things different and attempting new stuff which can be extremely hard with Christmas music which has been done over and over. I don't really love synthesizer, so needless to say there was a good portion of this set that didn't really do much for me. I would STRONGLY suggest previewing the songs before purchasing the album to see if you will enjoy the direction this set goes.
on January 24, 2013
We enjoyed Sufjan's previous 5 disc Christmas music, so thought we would get some new music to play during the season. My wife and I enjoy the mix of original and traditional Christmas music. A nice addition to our seasonal music collection.
on November 24, 2012
Sufjan takes us on a journey through somber choir music and ghostly versions of classics, to happy, upbeat Christmas nostalgia and trippy, non-standard timing grooves. In 5 cd's, I can't say I loved every single song, but I wouldn't expect to. That said, the mix of music, and even the order it is presented in is amazing. Listening straight through the albums, I'm enjoying the contrast of holy, reverence and playful exuberance and wondering if Sufjan is intentionally playing on those contrasts in our western cultural Christmas experience. The last two songs of the 5th cd make it clear. Sufjan is not just making beautiful, fun music. He's making a sharp statement about the odd nature of Christmas in our time; a monumental celebration for Christians (the birth of the savior of the world) mixed in with the cultural practices of ancient pagans and the shopping/traditions of the U.S. Christmas is uniquely a moment of religious, spiritual, cultural, and economic bewilderment. Sufjan calls us to celebrate, but also to meditate. And the music, the means of delivery, is fun!
on November 30, 2013
I like that Mr. Stevens takes us on a new journey for some holiday music. There are some songs in this group that I really like. However, there are others that feel like half-completed experiments that were thrown in for filler. With the sheer volume of songs, I wonder what would have happened if it had been pared down to just the top batch of songs.
on January 23, 2013
there are moments of reflection, moments of celebration, and a few moments that piss me off. kind of like the holidays, really. but this is such a thorough set of music for the money, the few songs that annoy me are lost in the shuffle of overall great music.
on December 7, 2012
I very much like most of Sufjan's work, including the first Christmas set, but something is missing in this collection. On the first set, the less-produced tracks were simply sincere--here they are ironic. And the more heavily-produced tracks are just over the top bizarre with vocoders obliterating carols. Then there are the tracks where you just scratch your head, like "Particle Physics" or "Christmas Unicorn"

If you're a big Sufjan fan, you may like it just because it is a lot of Sufjan material. But this one is going to sit on the shelf for me.
on February 6, 2013
"Lumberjack Christmas" is this follow-up Christmas album's answer to "Put the Lights on the Tree." It doesn't disappoint.

"Christmas Unicorn" will blow your mind with it's depth of cultural exegesis, even if you don't know what he's even talking about.

"Why four and not five stars?" you ask me if you're a Sufjan junkie. Because when I go to my mother-in-law's house for Christmas, I have to create four playlists on my iPod: 1.) Sufjan Fun (all the fun songs from this album and his first); 2.) Sufjan Religioso (all the songs that reference religious imagery/Christian theology); 3.) Sufjan Both (1 +2 combined); and 4.) Wacko Sufjan (actually, this playlist only has "Christmas Unicorn" on it). I can never play this one for my mother-in-law. So, that's my one star reduction, which really reflects on my mother-in-law and not on Sufjan. I love them both.

Also, the stickers and stuff inside were creepy. That has nothing to do with the star rating. Just an observation. Bought the box set for the music.
on December 13, 2012
Sufjan Stevens is a terrific musician, and this new Christmas box set by him shows this. A lot of people may wonder why, if they are not a die hard Sufjan fan, or do not usually buy CDs anymore, they would want to buy this box set? Well, the answer is simply because of all the great little goodies that are packed inside. Temporary tattoos, a poster, and all around amazing art work. This is a CD box set that is worth much more than just the great music inside, and it worth considering if you are looking for a stocking stuffer this holiday season.
on January 18, 2013
I love that Sufjan Stevens loves Christmas. I now have both his Christmas albums downloaded, and I enjoy his quirky take on the standards, as well as his very different from the norm original tunes. However, I must confess that I cannot listen to either album in its entirety at one sitting. Perhaps I am showing my age (I'm certain I'm not in the usual Sufjan Stevens demographic), but I can get overloaded on too much Sufjan. Not a problem, though, since I typically listen to Christmas music on shuffle!
on December 19, 2012
I'm a pretty big Sufjan fan, and this Christmas album has a lot of good stuff on it. Especially the Sufjan originals on here. I'm not a huge fan of the direction that sufjan is going (like the electronic, futuristic style on Age of Adz and Enjoy Your Rabbit), and there are quite a few songs on this album with that sound. I don't care much for that (especially in "Do You Hear What I Hear?"). Overall though, once you sort through it a bit, I'd say its a great album!