Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

• Live
  • Customer reviews

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on July 15, 2013
This set is one of the most incredible things I have heard in awhile. Some may think that to be hyperbole but really if you know what Tig was going through leading into this performance(was diagnosed with cancer, her mother had just died from a accident and more things she gets into during the performance) and how off the cuff it really was you have to be amazed that not only did she do a standup set in the first place but that despite the incredibly heavy content she was able to still somehow make it funny enough for people to laugh.

I will say this as the one warning going into the album. It is somewhat dark, obviously it would be given the state of her life at the time and the material and some may get more of a emotional reaction rather then a comedic one. That isn't to say the album isn't funny. It is very much so but people are different and some may work through things with laughter and others may cry it out. I for example loved the album and laughed almost the whole time and loved it. My mother also loved it and thought it was funny but her reaction was to cry more then laugh.

Many comedians have said this is one of those rare performances that you seldom see and I agree with it. It may not be for everybody because of the content but really at 5 bucks you have nothing to lose in trying to listen to it.

On another note for those who have already listened to it and loved it I suggest checking out the Nerdist Podcast episode with Tig. She goes into what happened before this set and what lead her to decide to do it in much more detail then I have seen anywhere else and she is incredibly funny on the podcast. It's a great companion piece to this album.
on July 25, 2013
Dealing with each day when death has become an intimate companion can be soul-shaking ....... my point of perception kalidescopes .... creating a spiritual vertigo that has created a sickness in my gut .....

I have always enjoyed my own quick wit ...... my 'bing .. bing .. bing .. ricochet rabbit' way of connecting perceptions that are never main street but instantly understood by others ..... I call it 'stream of consciouness' humor .... it flows, I am both the presenter and a member of the listening crowd ..... we all ride the same wave of 'knower' truth .... it connects each of us to each other!

Tig's soul-deep honesty and emotional balance touched my heart ...... broke it and at the very same time allowed it to heal and grow! She does not judge .... she provides an 'uncommon ground' we all can walk without fear and with each other as good company. It challenged me and changed the way I see others .... and in that I moved to a greater level of awareness that changed me for the better. Listen and identify ..... it will allow you to see so much better as to the way we validate each other.

Tig clearly communicated how each of us are unique, like snow flakes ..... yet we all are in the same snow fall, so to speak. She lite up my darkness ..... it can do the same for you .... by way of the zinmaster's smile!!
on January 4, 2013
Tig Notaro's "normal" (for lack of a better word) comedy is very good, but this is an instance of a very particular kind of performance that blends comedy and tragedy in a way that causes the audience to be constantly unsure of how they should be reacting. She manages it incredibly well, and the end result is amusing, cathartic, thought-provoking, and satisfying. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you probably won't always be able to tell why you're doing which one at any given moment. I couldn't recommend it more. Well done, Tig, and the very best of luck.
on November 16, 2013
Tig Notaro is a hoot anyway, and the way she "bares" herself to the audience with her reactions and random thoughts at a time when she was being confronted with the concept of her own mortality is perfect. She is funny, insightful, personal, and demanding of her listeners to think about their own mortality, how they would react in the same circumstances, and confront the conflicting emotions of whether to laugh or not. Politically correct? Maybe not. Maybe so. You can judge.
on April 29, 2013
Tig Notaro takes something scary and painful and turns it into something funny and beautiful. The world needs more women, comedians, and, indeed, people like Tig Notaro.
on January 14, 2013
Like Tig, I've been through several tragedies in a short period of time, only to be diagnosed with breast cancer as hopefully the final straw. Tig's impromptu performance on the subject finally made me laugh about all that tragedy. As Tig says at many points during the performance comedy is tragedy plus time and right now she is only in tragedy. But still, she made me laugh and, frankly, laughing is the only way to get through. God bless ya, Tig.
on December 10, 2012
Hilarious, great timing and voice control, and poignant. In an understandable way, Tig mentions many of the behaviors of the untroubled people one knows, that drives cancer patients nuts. Basically, they expect you to be the same person, with the same capacities and personality -- its just you have a terminal illness, that's all.
As a cancer patient myself, I identified with much of what she said, and had not laughed that much is a long time.
on March 25, 2013
I followed Tig's struggle closely through her podcast and had wanted to own this for a while, alas the money else me due to my own unemployment struggle. Now that I've overcome that struggle I had to have this. I've never laughed so hard while weeping in my life. Tig is a genius and an example of strength. Thanks Tig and we're glad you're good now
on May 17, 2014
Tig's story is horrifying and humbling, but her performance is so powerful that the entire piece becomes comedy instead of a tragedy. Not only was she capable of laughing at her own hardship, she was able to make it a humorous event for complete strangers. A masterful comedian, and an inspiring human being.
on May 5, 2013
I wasn't aware of Tig Notaro until I read an article about this talk. I watched some of her videos on YouTube and found her dry delivery hilarious. This performance took it to another level: she managed, through her bold honesty, to be insightful and hilarious without shutting people out of her tragedy. I hope more people listen to this.