Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 920 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 997 reviews
on November 13, 2012
Almost all the music I have at home lies in the pop category. I've always had an eclectic taste and chosen music that appealed to me. I've had my favorite artists and groups over the years just like most people. But, no artist has ever affected me like Susan Boyle. That being said, I'm not fond of musicals and do not purchase this type of music. This album was going to be a stretch for me.

HAVE I EVER BEEN SOUNDLY GIVEN A LESSON! I do have an appreciation for a beautiful voice as well as wonderful orchestration. Susan's magnificent voice is front and center throughout each song in this album and the orchestration does not detract, but enhances throughout. An occasional choir only gives the listener chills at the right moment. Susan's new producer, Biff Stannard, seemed to know when to let a song center on just Susan's voice and then build on it. They are a great team.

Pop girl didn't have one song she didn't like. Somewhere Over the Rainbow was my favorite until I decided they were all my favorite. I have not thought about Donny Osmond in years, but that guy can sing! The two duets with Donny are wonderful, and I am a new fan! And, I think I have fallen in love with Michael Crawford too. I dearly loved the intimate, seductive quality of Music of the Night. I could almost see the seduction taking place, and wasn't sure I was supposed to be there. What a masterful duet! Bring Him Home! -- Wow! Really stark brginning with just Susan's voice and gradually building -- beautiful. I was driving when I heard As Long As He Needs Me for the first time, and my jaw dropped. I realized I was going 80mph! Awesome! Out Here On My Own could be a single it's so good -- bluesy/jazzy -- smokin' voice -- really wonderful! I positively could NOT pick a favorite song they are all so good.

So....from someone who is NOT a fan of musicals and really thought she would not like show tunes, I can say Boy Was I Wrong!!! The songs are from musicals spanning many years and they made some excellent choices. This album shouldn't be missed.
0Comment| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2012
Had to download this as soon as the mp3 was released at midnight. I've got the cd on order and will be able to compare the sound on the 2 soon. For now, I'm just overwhelmed with the power and versatility in these songs. She does "Bring him Home", effortlessly and powerfully--no straining on the high notes like many male singers. "Winner Takes It All" is heartbreaking. She can take another artist's version of a song like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", sing the exact same notes, but the timbre of her voice gives it a completely different sound. (BTW, her produces says she did "Rainbow" in one take. No wonder she finished the album 2 weeks ahead of schedule.) There's a good blend on all the duets, although I prefer the ones with Donny. I know "You'll Never Walk Alone" is associated with football/soccer in the UK, but she recreates the original inspirational impact of the song. I wish she'd sing it in New York and dedicate it to the victims of the hurricane.

Even if you're not fond of show tunes, I think you will be impressed with her voice itself.
22 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2012
I got up early to download the mp3 album from Amazon and can't stop listening. Quite simply, Susan Boyle's voice is so beautiful, so pure. She just seems to get better and better. The selection of songs is superb. As the title says, this album includes the greatest songs from the stage. Every track I listen to, I think it's my favorite and then I come to the next one and think the same thing. Impossible to choose a favorite.
Also, how wonderful to have the great Michael Crawford on this album with the sensational duet of "Music of the Night". He has a voice like no other; he is acting and singing at the same time. I also love the duets with Donny Osmond "All I Ask Of You" and "This Is The Moment".
All in all, I am thrilled with this album and I believe anyone who loves beautiful music will enjoy it immensely. Also a great gift for Christmas as my friends will discover when they unwrap their presents from me!
11 comment| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2012
In this album, Susan Boyle fulfills the promise of her amazing audition. In her audition, we heard the raw and powerful voice, in this album, that voice has been honed to perfection. There is no fluff, no "throw-aways" here. Every song in this album is exquisitely performed. She is Nancy declaring her poignant love in "Oliver" as she sings the moving "As Long As He Needs Me", Nettie inspiring and encouraging with "You'll Never Walk Alone" in "Carousel"; Desiree despairing over a wasted love as she asks "where are the clowns" from "A Little Night Music". "Music of the Night", her duet with Michael Crawford is a stunning musical seduction. She is a tattered and worn out Grizabella singing "Memory" in "Cats". She portrays perfectly the grit and determination of the character in "Fame, the Musical" as she declares she is "Out Here On My Own"; Abba's "The Winner Takes it All" is filled with pain and resignation; "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", the leading track perfectly provides the promise of what is to come and is sung as a moving nod to Eva Cassidy's arrangement, but, my opinion, with a lushness not heard in Ms Cassidy's rendition. "All I Want" and "This is the Moment", both duets with Donny Osmond are highlights of the album with a perfect musical chemistry between the two. Finally, there is "Bring Him Home" from "Les Miserables". She begins this song with nothing but her pure and crystal clear voice, and makes it a moving prayer that touches your very soul.
The orchestration is the perfect accompaniment and one can literally see Miss Boyle center stage performing to perfection these musical theater classics.
I believe that this album is a must have for any music lover, and will become a classic, providing musical joy and enjoyment for years to come.
33 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2012
I love show tunes and I love Susan Boyle. Add Michael Crawford and Donny Osmond to the mix, and the result is incredible. None of the eleven tracks are disappointing, but I have become especially fond of the three duet tracks: "The Music of the Night" with Michael Crawford, and "All I Ask of You" and "This is the Moment" with Donny Osmond. The arrangements and orchestration take the listener from calm, almost ethereal at times, to soaring and back again. "Send in the Clowns" is almost mesmerizing - so beautiful. Susan Boyle has an incredible voice and she controls it so well. It is refreshing to listen to pure music that delivers expression, intensity, and spot-on pitch control without using auto-tune and overdone electronic manipulations, which so many artists lean on today. I simply know what I like and I recommend this CD. Kudos, Susan, for another great music album.
on November 17, 2012
This album is astonishingly beautiful to listen to. I am amazed by how good Susan Boyle's voice actually is now. I expected Michael Crawford's voice to be great, but who knew (I sure didn't!)that Donny Osmond has a great voice too? Their three duets offer a pleasing contrast with Boyle's voice. Her seductive rendering of The Music of the Night will surprise anyone who thinks of her as a prudish church lady. I am thrilled that Boyle chose Eva Cassidy's version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow instead of Garland's, although there is a risk that in its position as the lead track, people not familiar with this arrangement may be initially put off the album by it. She somehow makes it heart-breaking and triumphant at the same time. I loved Agneta's (ABBA)original recording of The Winner Takes It All, but Boyle's rendition is powerful and full of suppressed emotional pain. Bring Him Home, Send In The Clowns, As Long As He Needs Me - so familiar yet so fresh here, each a polished gem, well-articulated and impressively sung. Out Here On My Own was one I didn't know before, but it is fast becoming a favorite. Memory - I can't help it, but I get chills every time when she hits "touch me," even though I know it's coming. She sings You'll Never Walk Alone more as the contemporary soccer club anthem it has become than as the old-lady tear-jerker from Carousel. The production values on this album are first rate as well - orchestral arrangements, sound quality, balance, track list, cohesion, album art - a magnificent musical achievement. Kudos to everyone involved.
on November 14, 2012
I came to work early with this album. Put in on the computer and was in heaven listening to it. Students who come to my classroom early, I shushed as they came in. When it was over, they said "play it again". They LOVED this music. This was HS students!!! They loved this album. Susan's voice wins over everyone.
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2012
I love this album. I have been waiting for Memory since Susan sang it in the BGT semi. Wonderful duets, two with Donny Osmond and one with the Phantom himself, Michael Crawford. Susan sings with emotion, she feels the song.Standing Ovation is wonderful.
on March 1, 2013
This is the first album I have purchased of Susan's, but I did really enjoy it. It has a wide range of songs and most of them stayed pretty true to their origins, which I liked. I'm not a huge fan of when artists totally skew a song to try to make it something else. Some of these were different from the original, but not so much that I wanted to gouge my eyes out. She has a beautiful, classic, sweet-sounding voice. Very professional, very clean. I enjoyed it and will look for other things that she has done.
on October 27, 2013
The best ever - she deserves 5 stars plus - I have been following her since her first audition and have seen her and followed her progress - this is the best - very professional - I'm hoping she has confidence in herself - know she had a hard time with her success which would happen to anyone when you are not in the limelight and with the internet too - it was pretty overwhelming to her.

Just want to say to keep on going Susan Boyle - we all love you - just wish her mother were alive to see her perform - who knows maybe she is looking down at her in heaven and knows all about it.

God Bless you Susan Boyle - superb singing.