Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 293 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 363 reviews
on November 24, 2012
The Rolling Stones' work over the last 50 years has been divided into two periods - their Decca/London work of the '60s, owned by the late Allen Klein's ABKCO Records, and their post-1971 material released on the band's own imprint (distributed over the years by Atlantic, WEA, EMI, and CBS (Sony)). When the group signed with Virgin Records in 1992, Rolling Stones Records folded; the group's post-1971 catalog is now distributed by Universal Music Group, which, ironically, manufactures and distributes ABKCO. For legal reasons, all Stones compilations until 2002 were split between the two periods. "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" - recorded at the end of the Decca period, but initially released on Rolling Stones Records both as singles and on the STICKY FINGERS album, are jointly owned by ABKCO and the band, and appear on both ABKCO and Rolling Stones Records/Virgin/Universal compilations.

The first career-spanning Stones compilation was the 2002 collection Forty Licks. For the group's 50th anniversary, ABKCO and Universal have compiled GRRR!, the most comprehensive overview of The Stones' career to date, with tracks ranging from the band's first 1963 single, Chuck Berry's "Come On," to two brand-new 2012 tracks, "Doom and Gloom" and "One More Shot."

I don't own all of The Stones' hits packages, but here is how GRRR! compares to the ones that I do own:

Hot Rocks 1964-1971: All of the songs from this compilation are on GRRR!, but there are two differences: HOT ROCKS has the full-length version of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" from Let It Bleed (Remastered), whereas GRRR! uses the stereo single edit (previously issued only in mono). Also, GRRR! uses the LET IT BLEED version of "Midnight Rambler," while HOT ROCKS uses the live recording from Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! (Remastered).

More Hot Rocks: Big Hits & Fazed Cookies: Five tracks from the main portion of this collection - "Tell Me," "Good Times, Bad Times," "Sittin' On A Fence," "No Exceptations," and "Let It Bleed" are not included on GRRR! Only one track from the "rarities" section (Side 4 of the original album, and the last 11 tracks on the remastered CD) is included on GRRR! - "Come On."

FORTY LICKS: All of the tracks on Disc 1 (the ABKCO disc) are on GRRR!, aside from a few mono/stereo differences on songs like "Paint It, Black," "Ruby Tuesday," and "Let's Spend the Night Together," plus the different versions of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" mentioned earlier. Seventeen of the twenty tracks on Disc 2 (the Rolling Stones Records/Virgin/Universal disc) also appear on GRRR!, but only one of the four 2002 songs is included - "Don't Stop."

The Rolling Stones Singles Collection: The London Years and the three CD box sets of individual singles (THE SINGLES 1963-1965, THE SINGLES 1965-1967, and THE SINGLES 1968-1971) contain a lot of B-sides and (in the case of THE SINGLES 1963-1965) EP tracks that are not included on GRRR!

The packaging on the Super Deluxe Version of GRRR! is impressive, but bulky. The box contains a poster from a 1963 tour, a slotted cardboard insert containing a black envelope with five art prints from the band's various tours over the years, and a 7" vinyl EP with four early songs from a BBC radio show, recorded in experimental stereo. The EP's back cover has liner notes in the same size and font as the group's original 1963 EP, THE ROLLING STONES. CONSUMER ALERT: The EP plays at LP speed (33 1/3 RPM), not 45 RPM, as most vinyl EPs do, so set your turntable speed accordingly. Of the EP's four songs, one, a Bo Diddley number called "Cops and Robbers," was never recorded by The Stones elsewhere. Bobby Troup's "Route 66" was issued in 1964 on the band's first album, and a live version surfaced on the 1965 GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! EP (not on the 1966 U.S. album of the same name), and was issued in America in 1965 on London Records' DECEMBER'S CHILDREN (AND EVERYBODY'S). Arthur Alexander's "You Better Move On" appeared on The Stones' self-titled British EP, and in America on DECEMBER'S CHILDREN as well. The blues number "Mona" appeared on the group's 1964 UK Decca debut album, THE ROLLING STONES, but was replaced with the single "Not Fade Away" on the American London version, ENGLAND'S NEWEST HIT MAKERS. "Mona" appeared in the U.S. in 1965 on the third London album, THE ROLLING STONES, NOW! Then there is the 96-page book, containing a bonus CD of five mono IBC demos from 1963 ("Diddley Daddy," "Road Runner," "Bright Lights, Big City," "Honey What's Wrong," and "I Want To Be Loved.") The first four tracks were never recorded elsewhere; "I Want To Be Loved" was later re-recorded and released as the B-side to "Come On."

The bonus CD is stored in the inside front cover of the book, while the four main CDs are stored in the inside back cover. The book contains an essay by Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone magazine (yes, partially named after the group), some nice black-and-white photos of The Stones, plus some very nice memorabilia, but I would have preferred an illustrated discography, and the lyrics to the songs as well. Also, the track listings, which show a performance copyright of 2004 for the ABKCO material and 2010 for the Rolling Stones Records/Virgin/Universal material, except for the two new 2012 songs, could have been more detailed, showing when each track was recorded, the original release date, and what LP that the track(s) originally were issued on.

Disc 1 - all tracks mono, except "It's All Over Now," "Heart of Stone," "Time Is On My Side" (unfortunately, the remake, not the original), "Paint It, Black," "She's a Rainbow," "Under My Thumb," and "Out of Time."

Disc 2 - all tracks stereo, except for "Mother's Little Helper," which is the mono single version, not the stereo version from AFTERMATH UK.

Discs 3 and 4 - all tracks stereo.

If you are a newcomer to The Rolling Stones and want just one definitive collection, GRRR! is the one for you. The Super Deluxe Edition is expensive, but there are also two-CD and three-CD versions of GRRR! available. Choose the one that fits your budget and your needs. I purchased the Super Deluxe Edition because it contained 34 tracks that I did not own elsewhere (three on ABKCO; 22 on Rolling Stones Records/Virgin/Universal, including the two new 2012 songs, plus the nine bonus tracks on the two EPs). In addition, all of the songs on the 2-CD set (available at Target and certain other select retailers) are on the 3-CD Deluxe Edition, and all of the material on the 3-CD set is on the Super Deluxe Edition, so it's not necessary to buy multiple editions of GRRR! to obtain "missing" tracks.

On the other hand, if you already own the bulk of the material, and don't care about the new 2012 songs, the BBC recordings, or the IBC demos, skip it. Of course, you could always download the material that you don't own.
1111 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2012
I was going to buy the super delux version, instead bought the deluxe 3 cd set of GRRR, this is what I've found out...Love the music, packaging really cool, remastering is amazing...the BBC tracks are cool and nostalgic, they would have been a nice edition to the regular delux 3 cd set I bought. Personally as far as the sound of this new release, my 2009 remaster reissues are just fine in the sound department. Possibly I might get the super deluxe edition when it goes way down in price, only reason because I'm a stones completist, as I really don't need it. Things that should have been done with this insanely priced box set: #1.should have had 100 songs, BBC tracks remain seperate on one cd, a few more BBC tracks would have been nice. I'll guess will have to wait for the next over priced gem to get those other BBC releases. Anyway here is # 2.NO SONG EDITS!!!!!! leave them as the songs were
meant to be!!!! Being an audiophile nothing irritates me
more than edited tracks!! #3.The book should have had notes on each song, recording and release dates, of course all the tracks would be in chronological order. #4. Each cd should be used close to its 80 minute limit, not 55-70 minutes of music on each cd like on this Grrr 3 cd set. Another slap in the hardcore stones fans face. The stones did this because they want new fans to have to buy all their albums, trust me Mick and Keith even if you used the four suggestions above on this Grrr box set, trust me and believe me (SCOUTS HONOR) the newbies would'nt be getting all of your catolouge output and most likely would buy most of your cds, mp3s, vinyl, etc. Another irritant, could the Stones have put the 7 ep 45 on cd #5 with the BBC Recordings. I do like the 7 vinyl, but it would have been nice to have it put on cd to. TRUST ME, brother Mick your cash registers would not stop cha--chinging!! I could wax on about this over priced gem of brilliance, Yada yada yada yada.... but I will spare the masses of torture. I like many Stones fans have invested thousands into this band, it would have been nice to give us fans a super deluxe box set with the four suggestions I've stated above. If your a newbie than by all means get the cheaper 3 cd deluxe set of GRRR. I wish amazon would list how sales are doing for this insanley priced, wrongly done, insult to the long time fans, box set. Hey... I have all my Stones cds to listen to... I'm glad these guys are still touring. I still feel A Bigger Bang might be the best stones album since Exile on Main Street or Goat's Head Soup (Reis)...just my opinion.. TRUST ME I REALLY LOVE THE STONES.. this box set just irritates me with all its careless short offerings as well as it should most hardcore stones fans.. Ps: Another slap, well at least in the American stones fans face is that in the Japanese version of this box set, it contains the lyrics for all 89 tracks in a seperate paper book in both Japanese and English. Anyway long live the Stones...
1818 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 14, 2012
I won't go into all the bruhaha about 'another' Greatest Hits compilation. I will only say this, the 3 cd's that make up the non-deluxe version have 50 tracks. All of the material is remastered, some again since maybe the last time you bought a hits set. What IS good about this set, is the quality and the new tracks. The audio is the best yet in my humble opinion. I listened to all 3 discs in my truck today and they sound excellent! Of course if you are a Stones fan, you will recognize this and you will also recognize a few tracks that have not been included on any previous hits compilation. There is a little booklet included which has a few new or different photos that you may or may not have seen previously as well as the usual track listing, nothing much here to justify the booklet. Now for the good part. The really good part! If you have not heard the new material which consists of two songs...Gloom and Doom and One More Shot, then I would say buy this set for those only if no other reason, they are that good! Mick sounds like he is singing back in the 70's, his voice is great! I mean really great. The rest of the boys sound good too. Gloom and Doom is my favorite it is a solid rocker and is a hit, as it would have been back in the day even! I know it sounds crazy to pay 22.95 or so for two songs, but if you like classic rock and still like the music, then it is well worth it. And, you get the bonus of a lot of their best material sounding better than it ever has. Now what is NOT to like about that! I will take what I can get and this is freaking great! I just hope that there were more songs recorded in the session that they did the new material and we will get those at some later date. If they are anywhere near as good as these two then I am smiling!
on March 8, 2013
Regarding this particular superb, Super Deluxe Edition, I shied away from this at first, because I haven't owned a turntable in a couple of decades. Just some of the "Super Deluxe" part of this boxed set is a 7" vinyl EP of a rare 1964 live BBC broadcast that's truly fantastic material:
1. Route 66
2. Cops And Robbers (my very favorite early Stones track!)
3. You Better Move On
4. Mona
So I wondered how the hell to get these four tracks as mp3s. HERE'S THE SOLUTION: I searched the four titles, and the full, original broadcast, identical to the vinyl EP, and almost thirteen minutes long, is on YouTube. Problem solved. Amen. Those songs alone make this version of GRRR! worth every extra cent.
Oh, but this being the Super Deluxe Edition, there's more ear candy. A bonus CD of The Rolling Stones' very first recordings, the 1963 IBC live, in-studio demos, namely:
1. Diddley Daddy
2. Road Runner
3. Bright Lights Big City
4. Honey What's Wrong
5. I Want To Be Loved

There's also a h-u-g-e book of rare photos and stories, as well as copies of old tour posters in varying sizes. Of course there's 4 CDs (80 tracks) of hit songs and fan favorites, including two brand-new tracks. FYI: Several of the longer hits, such as, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" are included, but in the shorter, edited-for-hit-radio length. Annoying, but pardonable. Heck, I own the longer versions anyhow on other store-bought Stones' discs, so when I make my own copies of these tunes for my car's CD player, I'll just put in the longer versions myself, and add some songs that didn't make this collection, such as the "Sticky Fingers" album gem, "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?".
All in all, I'm glad this was my birthday present, and I hope you find this info helpful. Anyone who can't figure out how to rip the audio from the four public-domain YouTube video tracks that I mentioned, comment and I'll explain. It's easy.
on June 5, 2013
You can't go wrong with 50 of the Stones classic hits. To me when you are looking at a collection like this, it is more about how it flows/ plays. I thought 40 Licks was put together nicely so that it was easy to listen to from beginning to end. This collection I can't say the same about. It seems disjointed, which is easy to do when you are lifting tracks from a 50 year career. I was also disappointed at the omissions on this release. If you don't have these songs already, you just can't go wrong. If you are looking for a better collection ( minus 10 songs though) I recommend 40 Licks.
Yep, I know. Many of these songs have appeared on other compilations. On the other hand, as of 2012, this does a nice job of presenting major songs over the past five decades. Are all songs I'd like to hear on this CD? No. Some early songs are not here. But it's not easy to include songs from 50 years on even 3 CDs.

One of the things that I like is the inclusion of more recent songs--"She Was Hot"; "Harlem Shuffle"; "Love Is Strong"; "Under Cover of the Night" and so on. Would I have liked to see more recent cuts? Sure. But this CD does a nice job of giving us a sense of the body of work.

We see some of the earliest songs--"Come On," Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away," "The Last Time". . . . Then, we experience some of the classics--"Satisfaction," "Get Off of My Cloud," "Under My Thumb". . . . Then, the wow era--"Jumping Jack Flash, " Street Fighting Man," "Sympathy for the Devil," "Street Fighting Man," "Brown Sugar," and so on (II do wish that "Midnight Rambler" was included--a classic!).

Then, some key songs from the wonderful "Exile on Main Street." After that? Cool songs from later albums. The number of terrific songs per album/CD decreased (with some fine albums yet to come)--but there were still fine tunes created later by the band.

If you want a sense of the Stones' oeuvre over five decades, this does a nice job.
on December 19, 2012
This five disc version (plus a vinyl EP) is the biggest Stones box ever. It has more songs from the Brian Jones '60s period than Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks combined, though not quite as many as Singles London Years box. The main things missing are some Mick Taylor period stuff from the 1970's-- his three great epics, Monkey Man, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, and Fingerprint File; then Dancing With Mr D, one of my personal favorites; rarities like Everything is Turning to Gold, and of course why is Hot Stuff missing? But it has all the essentials from the '60s, the 80's and 90's and on up to now. The box is too big and unhandy, but you can switch out the five discs and put them into the three disc version, as there are four slots in there if you use the booklet pocket for disc one. If that matters to you, you will figure it out.
on January 1, 2013
Although the Stones have released many "Hits" packages over the years, I think this one is the best cross section
of their long careers. Beware however: There is a two disk version of this 3 disk package. It has all of the same
packaging and graffics but omits 15 or so of the tunes from the 3 disk set. Many major hits are missing from the
two disk version. If you think your getting a price break, better check the content first. Too bad the producers
chose to fool the fans and consumers. They should never have realeased the inferior 2 disk version. Hopefully
Amazon will not sell the 2 disk GRRR! or will at least attempt to label it as less than the full version.
on January 3, 2013
This set is an excellent investment for anyone that Loves Mick Jagger and the boys aka The Stones ! All of the older stuff is here as well some new things that I can listen to as well. No matter how old they get , no one can give a "vibe" like Mick Jagger.....I would definetly recommend this set to anyone who loves The Stones.
on November 30, 2012
Why cut the length of some of the songs? Is there something wrong with Emotional Rescue that it was cut short on BOTH 40 Licks and GRRR!? At least give us full versions considering this is about the 10th greatest hits collection. BOO to Mick and the boys.