Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on July 25, 2016
This review is about Scott Pratt’s Joe Dillard series, or at least the first 4 that I have read. It is a terrific series, right up there with the Jessie Stone (William Parker), Harry Bosch (Michael Connelly) and Joe Picket (C. J. Box). If you like lawyer/courtroom or police procedurals or regular guy heroics or the twists and turns of a good mystery, then you’ll like Scott Pratt’s Joe Dillard series. He’s got it all. The writing is really good. It moves at a good pace (as Elmore Leonard advised in his list of how to write a good book) leaving out the stuff readers tend to skip over. I live in Tennessee as the main character Joe Dillard does and there is no false note in the characters or the dialogue. As sparse as the writing is, there is plenty of character development and credibility as to the legal system and investigation techniques. Believability is 100%. My only advice is to kill off the sister Sarah. Like with a alcoholic uncle, I’d participate in an intervention once, twice or even maybe three times and after that, the hell with him. Even Michael Connelly killed off Bosch’s ex-wife. Jessie Stone has quit dragging around thoughts of his ex-wife. But hey, that’s no deal breaker. We all have our cross to bear and Joe Dillard has his sister… plus the other usual accumulated baggage that makes him a believable human worth taking a journey with on the pages of a book.
23 people found this helpful
on February 21, 2017
I gave this book 4 Stars because I enjoyed all the action and drama that transpired in the plot. Although a great deal of the book was over the top with superstition and occult activity, I enjoyed the author's vivid imagination regardng the subject. In many places the book was absolutely hilarious. Pratt has a keen eye for detail, and possesses extraordinary knowledge of human nature and fallacy. This, coupled with his LOL sense of humour, held my interest from beginning to end. The book is basically about a criminal defense attorney who decides to switch over to the prosecuting side of justice system to get the bad guys. Between corrupt politicians, family crises and cult crimes, the protagonist manages to do just that (albeit dysfunctionally). Good job Scott Pratt!
12 people found this helpful
on March 12, 2017
Great characters, good pacing and extremely well plotted, Scott Pratt is an unsung hero and I'm shocked he's self-published! Who was foolish enough to turn him down or did he just skip the headache and do it himself?
One of the most interesting components of this novel was the subject of religion and there was no way of knowing where the author lands on the religious spectrum, which I really appreciated. It could have been heavy-handed with pushing a particular belief or creed, but it didn't do that at all.
While I agree that Joe's attempts to save his sister may seem excessive to some readers, it does reflect a typical trap many of us fall into with wayward members of our families and may be common behavior, especially for someone who feels guilty or has a strong protective instinct, as Joe does toward Sarah.
On the whole, an excellent read and I'm looking forward to getting to know this character and the author more.
6 people found this helpful
on January 1, 2018
I am so enjoying this series! I most often read police procedurals. One of the reasons that genre appeals is that character development and relationships play a big part in the stories. I find that a plot driven novel is frequently forgettable, while one with well-drawn characters enhances the mystery. This legal thriller series meets my criteria for a memorable tale. Joe Dillard is a complicated, multi-faceted protagonist, one that I am getting to know and like a great deal. He has retired from defense law, is bored with his day to day leisure, and is encouraged by Caroline to return to the practice of law - this time as an assistant prosecutor. Joe has originally set his sights on working on that side, but the salary was not going to work for a young family of four. Therefore, he set up private practice, defending, often the lowest of the low. Helping to find some of them not-guilty has caused him to burn out. Now he has a chance to "wear the white hat." That, too, has its challenges - office politics, unsavory power mongers, and, perhaps, taking blame where it is not justified. There are legal twists and turns, again, in this installment, and I found that interesting and compelling reading. It's time to move on to the third book!
One person found this helpful
on June 27, 2015
I like this author's writing style, and enjoyed his first book. This is just my second. His characters are interesting for the most part, largely because they are not all black and white. Good people can do bad things for good reasons (except the saintly do-no-wrong perfect wife, who I find rather uninteresting simply due to her perfection). However, this one had too much paranormal / psychic content for my taste. I don't mind suspending belief while reading a novel, but there were too many things that couldn't be explained and just had to be accepted even if you don't believe in paranormal activity and things like curses. If you don't mind that sort of thing, you may enjoy this book. I just prefer more solid explanations to the events. I am definitely going to try book #3 in this series, but that is based on the first one and the general writing style, not on the content of this book.
44 people found this helpful
on July 9, 2016
Joe Dillard, who was a defense attorney for years, is now on the other side of the aisle. He figures he spent enough time defending the guilty, now he can defend the victims. Soon Joe realizes being on the "side of good" has its challenges especially when so many innocent people are turning up dead. Is there a serial killer on the loose or is something more sinister at work in this Tennessee community? While Joe is dealing with the chaos of these killings, his family is dealt its own bad hand. The worst of it when his wife finds out she has cancer.

Scott Pratt does it again with his character Joe Dillard. He weaves a tight story between family and work and keeps the reader wanting more. If you like legal thrillers, you'll love this series. As for me, I am moving on to Book 3...Injustice For All.
3 people found this helpful
on April 24, 2016
This is the second book in the Joe Dillard series, and the second I've read in the past three days. That's not any kind of record, but if you knew how busy I was these days, you'd know how much I'd have to rearrange my schedule to do that, so i follows that I've become addicted. I love the way Scott Pratt writes, and I appreciate the way he's confident he'll hold your attention without gratuitous sex. There's a lot of love portrayed in his books so far -- and a lot of hate, as well -- but he finds no need to describe the characters in bed. Bear in mind, I'm only done with book No. 2 in the series, but I'm hoping the trend continues.
I like that faith has been a recurring theme in the first two books, particularly in this one, as you can tell by the title, and I appreciate the author's treatment of the subject. The entire spectrum of faith has been portrayed, from church-going people of faith, to phony preachers, to followers of Satan, and the main character's views are evolving; I'm eager to see how Joe Dillard's faith changes as I continue through the series.
on October 30, 2017
Loved this one too! The first in this series was an excellent read and this was no different. Well written, holds you every minute, extremely hard to put down once you turn to the first page. The style of writing is very smooth, no annoying mistakes that break your concentration, and the storyline is believable. Scott has a way of introducing you to his characters as if you have met them face to face and brings you right along for the ride, wonderful entertainment. Being disabled and i don't leave my home often so finding great reading is a huge treat for me! i hope the others go on sale soon so i can afford to get them to read, Amazon is really good at sales so that those of us on very limited incomes can enjoy the better books too!
One person found this helpful
on September 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of reading this now, but I think it's another great book. I read the first Joe Dillard series and immediately looked for a second. I really like the way Scott Pratt writes and keeps a lot of the story in the courtroom, mixing in personal and other work issues. The book is engaging right from the start, and just continues. I try to make time to read, even when I don't have a lot of time. So far, it's very good. The main theme of this plot is a little creepy, but interesting and an area in which I am not familiar . . . very good writing and reading.
on April 29, 2016
Very pleased with the writings of Scott Pratt. Being a John Grisham fan (read everything - except the pizza one) it became very difficult to find writers that came close to Grisham's style. Until Pratt. I was always surprised that I got so involved with lawyer stories. I never had any interest prior to John Grisham. (never even watched Perry Mason on TV) So I saw a book by Pratt on Amazon's list. Tried the 1st book in the Dillard series. It caught my eye that Pratt was using the same lawyer on a continuing series. And in my opinion, Pratt does a decent job of presenting his character in a fashion that reminds me of John Grisham. While Scott Pratt may be a younger writer (?) and not quite at the high caliber of Grisham, I believe he is certainly on his way. Currently on the 3rd book and looking forward to true 4th.