Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on December 16, 2013
Kingston seems to have pulled a Samsung and entered this device into the infamous hardware lottery. if you have version 5.05 of this device, then you are good to go and will achieve all rated speeds, power consumption, etc for it. This version of the device is manufactured in Taiwan.

As of version 5.06, it is a total crapshoot if you will get a good drive manufactured in Taiwan or one from their other manufacturing sites in China. The mainland Chinese versions to put it nicely, don't even come close to the rated read/write speeds for this particular device, with write speeds falling from the advertised rate to a max of 240 mb/s on SATA III (device is officially rated at over 500 mb/s write speeds and the 5.05 version regularly achieves 540 mb/s).

There are similar warnings and whatnot about this issue about the drive on other sites, with some customers going so far as accusing Kingston of bait-n-switch after submitting the 5.05 to all of the review sites where it was benchmarked and scored numerous high marks and then almost immediately (within two months) releasing the 5.06 into the retail market.
5150+ comments| 1,276 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 17, 2014
There is no consistency with the drive. The only benchmark that comes close to the rated speed is Atto. I tested this SSD with AS SSD and Crystalmark they both get a read and write speed of around 120 MBps read/write plus or minus 15 MBps. Also I move a 2.83 GB movie file from one part of the d
11 comment| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 24, 2014
I purchase this drive recently from another seller and wanted to state my findings so far so you can fairly compare this drive to others. If you are upgrading from a 7200rpm Hard Drive, this will probably perform faster, but I would look to other drives if you want this for your OS drive or need true SSD performance. The price is attractive per GB right now, but for a bit more, you might find a much better drive that will perform well long into the future.

I've used ATTO and Crystal and other performance utilities on this and other SSD drives I have. What I found was that this drive far under-performs every other SSD drive I have (about half as fast as my 128GB SSD that is almost 2 years old now) except with the ATTO benchmark Kingston requires. Why does Kingston require it? Probably because it uses highly compressible data and they have built the firmware/drive/controller combo to perform well with that one tool. Unfortunately, the real world doesn't use highly compressible data all the time nor does your operating system perform its functions just like ATTO. Most pictures, games, and other software already compress data and that will not perform well on this drive (as other perf utils show). I'll add a screen shot of my Crystal Benchmark performance (something I've always found consistent) for your personal comparison.
review image
66 comments| 213 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 22, 2013
*update 1/12/14* Firmware is not the issue, Kingston switched to asynchronous NAND

Seems I found the real culprit after speaking with several SSD experts on various tech forums, get ready for a class action lawsuit Kingston. Here's the scam, Kingston switched to cheap asynchronous memory chips that don't run in parallel after the first few months of production.

That means single channel bandwidth instead of multiple channels like earlier v300 SSD's. Instead of running at 200mhz, its running at 66mhz. This effects read and write speeds enormously.

Kingston hid this fact by using solvent on the original labeling of the memory chips, then printed their own logo on top. Kingston does not manufacture any memory themselves. When SSD was shipped out for review it used quality Toshiba 19nm NAND but Kingston used solvent on chips labels and printed their own. This was odd, but the reason for it soon became obvious. After only a few months they switched to inferior quality chips with the same Kingston label.

NO OTHER SSD MANUFACTURER ERASES ORIGINAL NAND LABEL AND PRINTS THEIR OWN ON TOP!

This is FRAUD in my opinion and Kingston could very well be seeing a class action lawsuit coming there way for this stunt. Other SSD makers have tried this crap in the past and got busted. They were forced to RMA all the drives back to synchronous memory chips which cost much more.

Kingston switched to cheaper quality NAND without saying a word. Firmware for Sandforce SSD's cannot cause you to lose 70 percent of read and write speeds. Lesson learned, never buy anything from Kingston again, they are criminals.
2626 comments| 961 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 24, 2014
The item came in a static proof bag with a loose manual in the package. After installing in a brand new build and installing windows 7 I noticed a lot of easy applications took a while longer to complete than would be expected. I have several occasions when booting up where an error occurred saying "S.M.A.R.T status bad. Backup and replace" other times I got a "reboot and select proper boot device" error and other times still I've seen the drive was disabled in BBS order. I tried a different SATA6.0gb cable and had the same problem. The device is a hit or miss every time I boot up. Save yourself the frustration and spend the extra cash on a samsung or another reputable brand.
22 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 3, 2014
Amazon great as always, but Kingston, frankly, I feel scammed. The attached results are on a 2009 Mac Book Pro 17, with fresh copy YS. I had better speeds on the original 5600 rpm. This is unacceptable.
review image
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 2, 2015
Almost exactly 1/2 advertised speed. It felt slow to me so I tested it. This SSD is still faster than a traditional hard drive but is about 1/2 the speed you can expect from a current well reviewed SSDs. Kingston uses their own benchmark to make their claims, but in real world terms this drive felt generally sluggish. I tried several various drive benchmark programs to show prove to myself it was slow. (google hard drive test and pick the top few). I do not think the modest savings is worth the huge performance hit.

If you do buy this drive expect about 240 MB/s sequential read, 150MB/s sequential write. Otherwise the drive is fine, works ok - It's just not the speed one expects from an SSD.
Compared to 550 MB/s claimed or minimum advertised 450 MB/s.

actual data:
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 44.686 MB/s [ 10909.7 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 118.744 MB/s [ 28990.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 133.951 MB/s [ 32703.0 IOPS]
on February 3, 2014
I got the vx.6 and it tested with the ATTO benchmark at 250Mbps max speed, with other benchmark utility I was getting a maximum of 120Mbps. I didn't notice much difference between this drive and a 7200 RPM hard drive, wouldn't buy this product again, false advertising, bait and switch unexpected move from Kingston.
11 comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 5, 2015
I replaced the HDD in my Gateway NV55C (5400 rpm 500GB) with the Kingston 120 SSDNow V300 drive. OS is Win7 Home Prem. 64bit. Cold boot to login screen went from about a minute+ to less than 20 sec and login screen to desktop was also dramatically increased (31 to 8 sec).
Going from 500GB to 120GB required me to remove a lot of "junk" that accumulated on the laptop over time. Much of it could be housed elsewhere or just removed. If you are going to clone your drive, you will want to consider the recovery partition as well as your OS partition. What I mean is that you will need to be using less than the capacity of your new SSD drive on your source drive before cloning (if you want to include the recovery partition on your new SSD). I made this oversight the first time around and was informed by the Acronis software that I needed about 13 GB more space freed up on my original HDD. Aside from that the process was painless. The most time consuming part was cleaning up the old drive. I must point out that although I ordered the Notebook kit I was sent the Desktop kit. The drive is the same but the accessories are different. I luckily already had a suitable external enclosure so that did not prompt me to return the product. I was able to install the new SSD without the spacer but it would be an additional security step to have it in place. This laptop has a sturdy drive mounting bracket and this machine does not see much travel so it probably will not be a big deal. Only taking one star off since the incorrect product was shipped.
review imagereview imagereview image
on September 15, 2014
I have completed the install and used this for a couple of days so far.
Pros: Some things run significantly faster. My computer no longer bogs down on Facebook and other bloated websites. Restart is much faster, so I'm no longer afraid to shut down my PC. Initial start-up of certain programs (e.g., Google Chrome, Itunes) is still slow, so apparently this is not a hard disk issue.
Cons: 1) No printed instructions. This is very inconvenient since my computer is partially disassembled and shutdown for parts of the installation. 2) The included bracket was not what is shown in the picture and does not fit any of the empty bays in my (Dell) computer, so the SSD drive is kind of just hanging in there now.

I should also note that Amazon Prime instant video no longer worked but the problem is fixable. [ doesn't seem to be the fault of the Kingston drive, but the change in hardware somehow changed the DRM settings for video ] Amazon's help file was not quite correct, but I eventually found and deleted a file called mspr.hds in the "PlayReady" folder under Application Data/Microsoft in my user profile and this corrected the problem.