Customer Reviews: Unapologetic (Deluxe Edition) [Explicit]
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon

on November 19, 2012
Three years ago, Rihanna released, what was in my opinion, her best album yet; "Rated R". The album found her, or her producers and writers, lyrically and sonically pushing the envelope with songs like "Russian Roulette", "G4L", and "Photographs", to mention a few. "Unapologetic" sounds like the logical follow-up to that album, and much like that collection, is laden with winners, while trying something a bit new here and there, and attempting to stretch vocally.

Opening cut "Fresh Off The Runway" layers distorted synths over Hip Hop beats. The delightful lead-single "Diamonds" is somber electro R&B set to plodding beats. "Numb" is trippy Middle eastern Dub with distorted slowed-down vocals by Eminem. "Pour It Up" is that hazy R&B sound Drake, The Weeknd or The-Dream are known for, as is the moody mid tempo "Loveeeee Song" featuring an auto-tuned Future pleading for "love and affection".

"Jump" is Dubstep and samples Ginuwine's hit "Pony". The David Guetta-penned & produced "Right Now" is a catchy club anthem with Techno and Dubstep flourishes. Next come a pair of ballads; "What Now" (an acoustic/piano ballad with an almost Dub Step chorus) and the spare Elton John-style piano ballad "Stay" featuring Mikky Ekko (who reminds me of Thom Yorke). The eighties-sounding R&B/House "Nobody's Business" features Chris Brown (channelling MJ) and is lyrically both of them against the world, set to an insanely catchy groove.

Next comes the album's highlight, the ambitious tempo-shifting 7 minute long "Love Without Tragedy / Mother Mary" with chiming guitars and personal confessional lyrics ("You took the best years of my life"). "Get Over It" is dreamy with lush synth strings and spare percussion. "No Love Around" is drum-free woozy Reggae with Rihanna singing "Your love hit me to the core, I was fine until you knocked me to the floor." Closing is "Lost In Paradise", bouncy Pop with pseudo Dubstep flourishes.

The deluxe version has two remixes of "Diamonds", as well as the Emile Sandé-penned ballad "Half Of Me" where she tells us that what we see on television is "half of it... half of me". Much will be made of the lyrics of most of the songs (is she singing about Chris Brown or not?), but this is undeniably good. Love it!
88 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2013
Okay so today I picked up this album at Target, and I do not regret it one bit. It gives you variaties of song genres, from r&b to reggae. I've listened to all the tracks, and I enjoy them all a lot.

1)Fresh off the runway (***): It's a catchy song, not my favorite on the album, but it is definietly a dance/club track.

2) Diamonds (*****): I really like this song. I know a lot of peopl were dissapointed when thi debuted, to be honest I didn't like it at first, but I got to listening to it a couple weeks back, and it's gotten to be one of my favorites. I really like how it shows off her vocals.

3) Numb (***'): I like how it starts off, and I really enjoy the beat. It's r&b/pop with a touch of island/reggae feel and I like that. But I really don't like Eminems part. It's a little too silly in my opinion. It sounds a little like "Just Lose It" by him, which I like, but it doesnt fit with the song. Sorry.

4) Pour It Up (*****): Although the message flat (money), I really like how the song was constructed, the beat is sick, and I like the cockiness in the song. It is really catchy.

5) Loveeeee song (*****): This song features FUTURE. Anyway this song is great. Aside from being layed back and chill, its lyrics aren't that bad either. I find this more of a FUTURE song though, so if you hate him or something, you might now be into it.

6)Jump (****): This song is really catchy. The only part I honestly don't like the dubstep breakdowns, but whatever. The lyrics are pretty dirty. I really like the rythmn, and the way the song was put together.

7) Right Now(***') not too fond of the dubstep breakdowns again, but the rest of the song has meaning and its pretty good.

8) What Now(*****): I like this song a lot. Really don't find anything wrong with it. Just explains the feeling of the bad ending of a good relationship.

9)Stay(****') not my favorite on the album but it's not bad. I like how her an Mikky collaborate.

10) Nobodies Buisness(****): Shows how Chriannas going to stick together and they don't care if anybody thinks it's good or bad. Not bad.

11) Mother mary(*****): This is kind of like two songs in one. I really like it. It explains that Rih didn't expect all of the fame to happen to her and how shes still trying to be in Gods arms, but she explains that its hard being part of the public eye. She also says that love has its ups and downs, and no relationship is perfect, but you have to focus on the future and try to set the past aside.

12)Get it over with(****): catchy song. Pretty sure it's about getting high but I like it.

13)No Love Allowed(*****): THIS SONG IS AMAZING! It's catchy. Even though a lot of people don't like it when she does reggae, I don't mind. It's great. I have to say it is my favorite on the whole album, and I will. It is extremely catchy and it a song you would want to listen over and over again. Nothing bad to say about this song AT ALL!

14)Lost in Paradise(****'): I enjoy a lot of the lyrics in this song. Well put together point blank period.
on January 26, 2013
THIS ALBUM IS EXCELLENT! Omg! I can't stop listening to it! Every song has a different style that I find amazing! This is probably the best album that she's EVER had!

1. Fresh Off the Runway: a nice little explicit song with a GREAT beat! If it didn't curse so much, it could be used in a fast paced runway show.

2. Diamonds: If you are reading this review, this song probably brought you to the album.

3. Numb feat. Eminem: One of my faves. Beat is addictive and Em is funny, like he used to be. I love this song!

4. Pour It Up: Rihanna's second single from the album. Her shortest songs are always so great! IT BEATS SO HARD! Sounds like a JuicyJ song. This song is great in the car or a strip club! (I've never been to a strip club, but listen to it and you'll know why.)

5. Loveeeeeee Song: My least fav song on the album. I just don't like Future. She could have made the song alone.

6. Jump: stolen excerpts from Ginuwine's "Pony", but nice to hear parts of his song again! This song is a great club song!

7. Right Now: Another great club song! Great beat!

8. What Now: A nice pop ballad. Used to be my fav song.

9. Stay: Another ballad. This song is okay. I listen to it. I like the words.

10. Nobody's Business: Perfect song for Rihanna and Chris. Their lives are nobody's business. Just listen to their music and get over it. She did.

11. Love Without Tragedy/Mother Mary: MY FAV SONG(S) on the album! (For now! It keeps changing!) These songs are fantastic! Slow, and words to both are great! Rihanna shows how she feels in "Mother Mary".

12. Get It Over With: I REALLY like this song. May end up becoming a fav. So soft and the words are great. Don't talk about things, just do it and "Get It Over With".

13. No Love Allowed: One of my favs too! If you have been hurt by someone, you can feel this song. Great music also!

14. Lost In Paradise: I don't really listen to this song. It's cool though.
on January 2, 2013
Overall, there's great production value to this album. However, there's no standout, radio worthy, pop-catchy tracks. That may be praise or critique. If you're one who doesn't care for what it blasted over the airwaves, then this album may be more for you. If you are fans of Rihanna's pop hits such as Umbrella or Rude Boy I find such anthems void on this album. That's not to say there's not the sometimes crass, often repetitive verses aren't here. They definitely are. They just aren't as catchy (or perhaps, not as annoying). If you're a Rihanna fan, you'll probably enjoy. If you're not, I doubt this will change your mind. It isn't her strongest offering to date.
on April 1, 2013
Rihanna is one of very few artists who can release back to back albums successfully. Maybe this is mostly due to the fact that she's a Pop act who tries to stay more current than artistic. She knows the best people to contribute to her album and she oozes sex appeal not only to men but to women. This works for her. She's Mariah Carey or Celine Dion. Nor is she a Beyonce who can entertain even the most reluctant fan. She stays in her lane and this works for her. I own 6/7 of Rihanna's albums and I'd say I can listen to about half of them without skipping a single song. Unapologetic is probably the album that I skip the most songs (besides A Girl Like Me) is this is mostly due to the fact that I have absolutely no clue what's she talking about on some of the songs like "Numb" or even the smash like "Diamonds". But the songs I do like, I really like. "Pour it Up" is one of those songs that even though you hate it, you somehow still manage to know every word to it. "Phresh Out the Runway" is one of my 3 favorite songs on the album because I love it when a female singer sounds 'gangsta' and she does. "Stay" and "Love without Tragedy" are lyrically the best songs on the album. Even if she didn't write them; they fit her because she can speak from experience. That is one of the best things I love about Rihanna. Even if she had absolutely no lyrical or production input on some of her songs; they still fit her. They were made for her and her voice meshes well with the melody of it all. I think this is what makes Rihanna such a successful artist.
My overall issue with this album is simply that I do not like about half the songs on this album. People raved about "Jump", her version of Ginuwine's "Pony" and I absolutely hate the song and know not one word of it. The million remixes of "Diamonds" were completely unecessary and I can't imagine anyone wanting to listen to them unless they're a DJ that plays the songs in the club. "No Love Allowed" reminds me a lot of "Man Down" from Loud, mostly because of it's island tempo that crazy appealing. "Half of Me" lyrically is good, but the delivery is mediocre. All in all, Unapologetic is a solid album that I'm sure people will still listen to out of admiration of Rihanna the artist, but compared to her other albums, it falls very short on the scale of Excellent to Poor.
on January 1, 2013
As a fan of both explicit and non-explicit music/ things; I can appreciate Rhi Rhi.... This album is not as good as "Good Girl Gone Bad" (I think any album will have a tough time beating that), "Rated R", or "LOUD", but, the overall delivery is better than "Talk That Talk" . I can listen to 85% of the album with no major issues.... Loveeee Song took awhile to get into, but, i 'love' it and Future's voice fits it.... Actually all the songs with features are good.... Pour It Up, Diamonds, Half of Me, What Now, Stay, and Love Without Tragedy (though a little short) are amongst my faves.... Any Rihanna fan should add this to their collection.....!
P.S. I do agree that she can do without the use of the 'N' word...
on February 18, 2013
Like most of Rihanna's albums, this one has some really great memorable (even classic) pop songs on it, but there are the tiresome thug/street cred/hip hop moments that seem forced to me. I don't care how tough Rihanna is or how many tattoos she has. She has an amazing voice which is suited to singing dance pop and ballads. When she does that, she fires on all pistons!
on December 11, 2012
"Talk that Talk" was the first Rihanna album I'd ever purchased; not because I wasn't a fan but because her singles were so hit and miss. In my opinion, talk that talk was a great album. It had a lot of energy and grit and a great balance of the two.

It's easy to appreciate the hurt and heart she's put into this album. Though most of her albums have a common theme (tragedy and triumph), this one feels as if she's giving the audience more of herself by being completely exposed.

"Get it over with" is all written within a hidden text and beautifully so. It is one of my FAVORITE songs on the album. It allows the listener to relate, let loose and vibe with the synths of the track and the meaning to be taken in this subliminal tone. Though at first I initially thought it was an interlude, as a track it definitely holds its own.

"Love song" (only because I am so against FUTURE and everything he's about) is garbage. I understand the need to collab/market with a new up and coming artist, but FUTURE was a horrible choice.
If T-Pain murdered Auto-tune then FUTURE is the serial killer that's yet to have been caught. Ghastly..

"Diamonds" is obviously a hit, as is "Fresh off the runway" especially for those of you who are club heads. I myself enjoy a good beat from time to time, though the lyrics are lacking.
"Stay" and "What now" are great ballads. She delivers a very convincing emotional performance.

"Lost in Paradise" is a great closer. It's light and hearty, which gives the listener a chance to reflect on the journey they've just taken. There were some up's and downs...happy times and sad, but in the end...RIRI will always come out on top.

on December 29, 2012
If you are the type of Rihanna fan who wants EVERYTHING she's done, get it. Otherwise, I'd take a pass. I have ALL of R's CDs, and this one is the WORST. "Diamonds" is the only real "hit" on this CD, and there are 3 versions of the same song on the "Deluxe Edition." If you want to get the CD, get the regular version. If you want eye-candy, there is a lot of that in the album inserts. Apart from that, if I had it to do over again, I would take a pass.
on September 29, 2016
One of my favorite albums - I am a Classically Trained musician and this genre of music isn't something I normally listen to - however the musicality, subject matter, use of traditional and contemporary sounds and motifs - makes this an amazing musical experience. Collaborations with performing artists, producers and song writers make this a must have for this decade's top albums. Sonic Novels where the entire album of tracks are met with a theme throughout are rare these days. You have your Hit-Single, your B-Side and then you have your Album with Unapologetic.