YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Beauty & Grooming Shop Popular Services biglittlelies biglittlelies biglittlelies  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Ryan Adams Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 481 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 627 reviews
on April 1, 2013
Rihanna is one of very few artists who can release back to back albums successfully. Maybe this is mostly due to the fact that she's a Pop act who tries to stay more current than artistic. She knows the best people to contribute to her album and she oozes sex appeal not only to men but to women. This works for her. She's Mariah Carey or Celine Dion. Nor is she a Beyonce who can entertain even the most reluctant fan. She stays in her lane and this works for her. I own 6/7 of Rihanna's albums and I'd say I can listen to about half of them without skipping a single song. Unapologetic is probably the album that I skip the most songs (besides A Girl Like Me) is this is mostly due to the fact that I have absolutely no clue what's she talking about on some of the songs like "Numb" or even the smash like "Diamonds". But the songs I do like, I really like. "Pour it Up" is one of those songs that even though you hate it, you somehow still manage to know every word to it. "Phresh Out the Runway" is one of my 3 favorite songs on the album because I love it when a female singer sounds 'gangsta' and she does. "Stay" and "Love without Tragedy" are lyrically the best songs on the album. Even if she didn't write them; they fit her because she can speak from experience. That is one of the best things I love about Rihanna. Even if she had absolutely no lyrical or production input on some of her songs; they still fit her. They were made for her and her voice meshes well with the melody of it all. I think this is what makes Rihanna such a successful artist.
My overall issue with this album is simply that I do not like about half the songs on this album. People raved about "Jump", her version of Ginuwine's "Pony" and I absolutely hate the song and know not one word of it. The million remixes of "Diamonds" were completely unecessary and I can't imagine anyone wanting to listen to them unless they're a DJ that plays the songs in the club. "No Love Allowed" reminds me a lot of "Man Down" from Loud, mostly because of it's island tempo that crazy appealing. "Half of Me" lyrically is good, but the delivery is mediocre. All in all, Unapologetic is a solid album that I'm sure people will still listen to out of admiration of Rihanna the artist, but compared to her other albums, it falls very short on the scale of Excellent to Poor.
on January 20, 2017
Uapologetic the most amazing album I listened back in high school on my junior year and now hearing it again like old times when Rihanna was still with Def Jam Recordings.
The Music been a lot better from all the songs I listened over the years Rihanna always brought cool music to listen up on with the mixes of Hip-Hop, R&B, Soul, Caribbean, and Pop in this album.
The songs which I can't enough
Diamonds
Loveeeeeee Song ft. Future
Pour It Up
Stay ft. Mikky Ekko
Get It Over With
on January 2, 2013
Overall, there's great production value to this album. However, there's no standout, radio worthy, pop-catchy tracks. That may be praise or critique. If you're one who doesn't care for what it blasted over the airwaves, then this album may be more for you. If you are fans of Rihanna's pop hits such as Umbrella or Rude Boy I find such anthems void on this album. That's not to say there's not the sometimes crass, often repetitive verses aren't here. They definitely are. They just aren't as catchy (or perhaps, not as annoying). If you're a Rihanna fan, you'll probably enjoy. If you're not, I doubt this will change your mind. It isn't her strongest offering to date.
on September 29, 2016
One of my favorite albums - I am a Classically Trained musician and this genre of music isn't something I normally listen to - however the musicality, subject matter, use of traditional and contemporary sounds and motifs - makes this an amazing musical experience. Collaborations with performing artists, producers and song writers make this a must have for this decade's top albums. Sonic Novels where the entire album of tracks are met with a theme throughout are rare these days. You have your Hit-Single, your B-Side and then you have your Album with Unapologetic.
on January 1, 2013
As a fan of both explicit and non-explicit music/ things; I can appreciate Rhi Rhi.... This album is not as good as "Good Girl Gone Bad" (I think any album will have a tough time beating that), "Rated R", or "LOUD", but, the overall delivery is better than "Talk That Talk" . I can listen to 85% of the album with no major issues.... Loveeee Song took awhile to get into, but, i 'love' it and Future's voice fits it.... Actually all the songs with features are good.... Pour It Up, Diamonds, Half of Me, What Now, Stay, and Love Without Tragedy (though a little short) are amongst my faves.... Any Rihanna fan should add this to their collection.....!
P.S. I do agree that she can do without the use of the 'N' word...
on January 14, 2013
First I want to say that I am a Rihanna Fan have purchased all over her previous albums and have them in constant rotation, but Unapologetic unfortunately will not be one of those. I was not impressed with many of the songs on this album. There are probably three or four songs that I really enjoyed, Diamonds, Stay (Feat. Mikky Ekko), Numb (Feat. Eminem), and Nobody's Business (Feat. Chris Brown). The rest of the songs on the album sound like one big continuos mediocre song, which Is really disappointing because I love everything Rihanna does. Heres hoping that the next album goes the direction of Loud and Talk That Talk.
on January 25, 2013
I love Rihanna's music! The album opens up with a strong energy and really gets you moving. It continues to play a mix of her known tracks early on like, 'Diamonds' and 'Stay' along with songs which don't disappoint (I love 'Jump' and 'Pour It Up'). Typical of many albums, all the great songs are in the beginning and eventually I find myself trailing off at the 10th track 'Nobody's Business', which isn't a bad number to fall off at. That leaves 5 'meh' songs so I think I got my money's worth for sure. I run through the album pretty quickly though as the songs seem pretty short, but hey, it's still a lot of fun!
on March 2, 2013
If we all played a drinking game to most any Rihanna song, we'd all be WAY drunk and fast. How many times does she sing, "Shine bright like a diamond" in "Diamonds"? It's an annoyingly catchy song though. I like her voice okay. It's a level above most pop singers but very far below the Adeles and Christinas of the music industry. Rihanna, her producers and songwriters know how to appeal to the mainstream probably better than any other. No chances taken but it can be irresistible at times.
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2012
In a way I feel bad for Rihanna. She has really tried so hard to embrace this hard image she adopted after she was assaulted and I feel like she was rushed into becoming something that doesn't always fit her aesthetic well. I've had this issue with her since `Rated R' when she first incorporated this level of edginess into her music. When Rihanna first popped on the scene she was yet another pop princess with little to differentiate her from every other young singer in the game other than a slight accent in her singing. Then she dropped `Good Girl Gone Bad' and left us with `Umbrella' and `Disturbia', two tracks that cemented her in the game in a big way.

She had the right amount of edge to sustain her career.

Sadly after her life altering altercation with Chris Brown she became intent on lacing her every move with a hardness that almost at times embraces the abuse and uses it as a catapult into a newfound musical territory for her. It works at times, but I have been turned off by Rihanna's intent on throwing out four letter works and singing about killing people as a way to convince us that she is hardcore. It feels forced and uncomfortable.

When she fits so comfortable into tracks like `Diamonds' and `We Found Love' why is there a need to try so hard.

`Phresh Out the Runway' is the perfect example of her just sounding stupid. Yes, let's color every sentence with twelve F-words and try, yet again, to be all gangster when it never sounds right coming out of my mouth. It doesn't really stop there though. The poor choices on this album are pretty detrimental. `Numb' is a vocal fumble, leaving Rihanna sounding really bad. Her attempt to give an edge to her verse deliver just makes her sound out of tune. The trend continues right into `Pour It Up', which is atrocious. The lyrical content is obsurd (singing about wasting money in a strip club does not make you sound as cool as you think it does), but the vocals are the worst she has ever contributed to any track. She comes across like a young teenager trying to look cool in front of her peers. "Look at me, I have lots of money and like naked women!" She even uses the line "I'm going dumb with all my friends" and that is exactly what it sounds like. The disco throwback that is `Right Now' was ill advised. It doesn't fit and loses all edge and sounds like a dated misstep regardless of the forced techno vibe. `Get Over It' is also kind of bad. It just feels poorly executed and boring. I hate the lazy development of the chorus.

But nothing on this album is as offensive or as tacky as `Nobody's Business'. I really think that someone should have sat Rihanna down and informed her that the tragedy that took place between her and Chris Brown became the world's business when it was plastered all over the place, and while she has made a career out of exploiting that situation and has effective completely remodeled her image, singing a song WITH Brown basically sticking it to everyone who has supported her through this is just in poor taste. It doesn't help that the song is dated and dumb, but I'm just insulted and offended that she thought this was a good idea. If you have forgiven him and love him and want to be with him then yay for you, but singing such a tacky song with him about your affections was just wrong.

So that's a lot of bad; but when she hits high marks they are really high.

`Diamonds' is intoxicating, alluring and the best single Rihanna has dropped in four albums. `Loveeeeee Song' has such soulful flare and delicate vocal delivery that proves Rihanna has the vocal chops. `What Now' is astonishingly good, with such vocal highs for Rihanna that I'm shocked and amazed it's on the same album as `Pour It Up'. Those chorus vocals are just beautiful and emotionally touching. `Stay' is also very touching and beautifully sung (and features a male vocal that doesn't make me squirm).

Then there are some admirable tries that don't nail it but come close. `Jump' features a ripped chorus from the 90's classic `Pony' and it also features a SICK beat that makes this must have club music. The dual `Love Without Tragedy/Mother Mary' opens with a beat obviously inspired by `Message in a Bottle' and it works really well. It does feel a tad disjointed in the segues (it almost feels like three separate songs) but it isn't disjointed enough for me to find the song offputting, especially since Rihanna flows into each section flawlessly. `Get Over it' may be my favorite island inspired Rihanna song. I find her attempt to bring island flare forced a lot of the time, but she gets this one very close to right. `Lost in Paradise' closes the album on a nice note. It isn't her finest moment, but it has a real uplift to it that makes it feel almost rock ballad epic in parts.

So, in closing, I'm disappointed in where Rihanna has taken her career. Reinventing her career and going the hard/edgy route was not a bad choice, but she hasn't learnt how to balance that out yet. `Loud' was the closest she came, but she got too tacky with `Talk That Talk' and seems to have lost her way entirely here. Despite having four songs I actually LOVE, this album as a whole is a mess.
1717 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2013
Like most of Rihanna's albums, this one has some really great memorable (even classic) pop songs on it, but there are the tiresome thug/street cred/hip hop moments that seem forced to me. I don't care how tough Rihanna is or how many tattoos she has. She has an amazing voice which is suited to singing dance pop and ballads. When she does that, she fires on all pistons!