Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Electric
Format: Audio CD|Change

Once again Richard Thompson shows why he is one of the better, and more consistent, artists making music nowadays. It amazes me that he's been doing this for so many years, yet he still sounds fresh and inspired. Last century, this century; he hasn't changed his sound or formula much, a condition that will please most longtime fans, but perhaps cause others to mutter that this is "more of the same".

But don't think that the music on "Electric" is stuck in a retro RT rut. He continues to mine new sounds from his guitar along with familiar riffs and chords. Above all, there is his very distinctive guitar sound that shines, along with equally distinctive vocal phrasing. People always rave about the guitar, but I think that Thompson's songwriting skills are of extremely high quality. When he wants to write a killer tune, he seems to be able to do it effortelessly.

The first four songs on the album are what could be called "typical" Richard Thompson compositions; the distinctive guitar playing, punchy rhythms and clever lyrics. They're good, but not songs that would rank with this best stuff. But then comes the the seductively enchanting "My Enemy," perhaps my favorite track on the album, which is then followed by the catchy "Good Things Happen To Bad People." That would have made a great radio single back in the days when there were such things. Other highlights include "The Snow Goose" with Alison Krauss on harmony vocals, and the closing track, the lovely "Saving the Good Stuff For You." Very strong album. The booklet that comes with the CD also has lyrics to all the songs. I think most Richard Thompson fans will like this new album very much.
on June 7, 2013
Richard Thompson remains a great gift to music because he expands the story telling art of songwriting. The characters , the viewpoints, the subjects he covers in his songs have widened what we all have come to expect from a song. And Mr. Thompson has always done this in a very musical way; pleasantly tweaking our ears with harmonies and tonalities we may not expect to hear from guitar based music.
The 'Electric' album continues this tradition as well as the tradition of some scorching and gritty guitar solos that pour out raw emotion. This electric solos on this album are some of his best; both musically and sonically.
The down side for me is that the songs on 'Electric' are too dark for too long and the lyrics rhyme too much in the service of being clever. The net effect is that I did not care whether I heard the songs again. I will continue to buy Richard Thompson albums out of loyalty to his past work and to seek out memorable and engaging songs in the future. I may not play the "Electric' album often.
One person found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon July 12, 2014
OK, I think RT walks on water so I love this album. The sound on this (the vinyl version) is amazing & the pressing is first class, mfsl quality. The performances jump out of your speakers. While I love every song I guess my only complaint is that most of the songs sound like I have heard them before & remind me of other songs from his catalogue. My Enemy is probably my personal favorite. I sounds to me like a cross between RT and Kate Bush.. While he is always amazing( saw him a couple of weeks ago on a double bill with Iian Mattherws), in that his next album is new recordings of songs he has already recorded I hope he isnt running out of steam in the studio.
on January 18, 2017
What a talent. Every song on this disc is a winner.
on May 18, 2013
Do yourself a favor and buy the 2 disk set.No filler here every track is a winner.This man is a treasure and it is a crime that he is not recognized by the masses.Shut off your damned preprogrammed radio stations and treat yourself to some real music.You won't regret it.I went into his back catalog and purchased 11 of his past releases.What a talent .
3 people found this helpful
on June 7, 2013
Richard Thompson has always been a consummate guitarist, talented technically and a wonderful musician. Here, he shows off his songwriting chops for all to see, especially for those with a limited knowledge of his works. This is a truly gifted musician who shows his deepest emotions without pandering and we are the beneficiaries in this latest and wonderful opus.
on July 11, 2015
It was just ok. Listened to it twice and there are only 2 songs I enjoyed. I saw him in concert and he was just wonderful. I dont' know whether this CD really is all that enjoyable
on March 21, 2013
I'm a huge Richard Thompson fan, so it's hard for me to give one of his records a mediocre review. My rating is mainly for sonics of the (lp), (if it doesn't have good sonics, it's hard to enjoy).

This lp is a sonic mess. There are some songs better than others but even the better sounding ones are lacking the transient response, dynamics, the 3D soundstage that many of his recent projects have had.

This is short and sweet. I had to put on "The Old Kit Bag" just to prove my point to myself. I was right. I would have given it two stars but after all, it is Richard Thomson.
|22 comments|Report abuse
on February 8, 2013
This album is a real breakthrough, it has something for everbody from a rocking vibe (Stuck on The Treadmill) to the lyrical (Salford Sunday) to the -rare- RT love song (Saving the Good Stuff for You). The vibe of the recording is partially attributable to the Buddy Miller production (it was recorded at Buddy Miller's house). Allison Krause on backup vocals, terrific musicianship, this one has it all.
4 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 30, 2013
As ever, RT delivers incisive lyrics and outside-the-norm guitar work.
Last time the RT band was in Portland at Aladdin Theatre we were discussing with Pete Zorn (fantastic multi-instrumentalist member of RT's band) RT's lack of superstar status amongst the general public. Pete's response "Richard is as famous as he wants to be." Good position to be in, but we would like to see RT back at the Aladdin sometime soon!